Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I did not need that mental image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Xenocides posted:

Pretty sure they meant the only chieftain on Azeroth not to get caught. Frostmaw’s chief (Thrall’s dad) was dead. That leaves only the chieftains of Dragonmaw and Bleeding Hollow dying and it is covered. Not sure if that contradicts lore.

The Frostwolves themselves were effectively wiped out during Gul'Dan's purge of the ranks after Warcraft 1. Of the rest in the Warcraft 2 manual, 2 were wiped out by other members of the Horde (Twilight Hammer and Stormreavers), three were tossed into the camps (Blackrock, Gap Tooth Grin and Bleeding Hollow), while one descended further into Demonic Anarchy (Burning Blade). And then there was the Dragonmaw who basically hid in a mountain until the Day of the Dragon.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Calax posted:

The Frostwolves themselves were effectively wiped out during Gul'Dan's purge of the ranks after Warcraft 1. Of the rest in the Warcraft 2 manual, 2 were wiped out by other members of the Horde (Twilight Hammer and Stormreavers), three were tossed into the camps (Blackrock, Gap Tooth Grin and Bleeding Hollow), while one descended further into Demonic Anarchy (Burning Blade). And then there was the Dragonmaw who basically hid in a mountain until the Day of the Dragon.

After which they were tossed in the camps. Though it's noteworthy that by that time Zuluhed wasn't with them; Zuluhed actually screwed off to Draenor with a portion of the clan.. Players killed him personally in Burning Crusade.

Worth noting, the Lord of the Clans novel was before the Novelization of the first and second wars, and thus both Kargath and Kilrogg crossing to Azeroth before Khadgar closed the portal had not yet been retconned. Neither appeared in the novel at all, though both appeared in the cancelled "Lord of the Clans" game it was based on (though that had a whole bunch of other various lore tidbits that would later be retconned... though I'm not convinced that's the right term, since they never made it to release to become canon in the first place)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Grom hellscream, famous for evading capture, is first met by the player of wc3 in a cage

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

FoolyCharged posted:

Grom hellscream, famous for evading capture, is first met by the player of wc3 in a cage

This is because Grom is actually kind of an idiot who happens to be very good at moments of directed violence, but is bad at long term planning.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is because Grom is actually kind of an idiot who happens to be very good at moments of directed violence, but is bad at long term planning.

truly an orc's orc

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

He has his moments; like in the Lord of the Clans novel, when he got pissed at his men for taking a human child captive, knowing that its parents would track it down and probably find them. He proceeded to order then to take it back where they found him (blindfolded of course, just as they brought him here).

He also relents to Thrall's wisdom when Grom wants to storm the camps immediately, but Thrall points out that Winter's approaching fast, and feeding an army would be hardest. Thrall uses the delay to seek out the Frostwolf clan.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I personally remember Grom for imitating rock stars with his Pissed lines during the Warcraft 2 Beyond the Dark Portal expansion. Glad to know they fleshed out his personality more since then. I'd ask DN to talk more about the Orc Internment Camps, a very important part of Warcraft lore, in his upcoming Lore update, but that's probably more appropriate for the Orc Campaign. Unless of course there's something in the backstory of Arthas where he administered some of those camps and was very brutal. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. Know of anything like that, DN? Or anything else in Arthas's backstory that could have foreshadowed what he becomes?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Nope. Nothing in Arthas' backstory. The kid literally went insane trying to save his people from certain death.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

achtungnight posted:

I personally remember Grom for imitating rock stars with his Pissed lines during the Warcraft 2 Beyond the Dark Portal expansion. Glad to know they fleshed out his personality more since then. I'd ask DN to talk more about the Orc Internment Camps, a very important part of Warcraft lore, in his upcoming Lore update, but that's probably more appropriate for the Orc Campaign. Unless of course there's something in the backstory of Arthas where he administered some of those camps and was very brutal. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. Know of anything like that, DN? Or anything else in Arthas's backstory that could have foreshadowed what he becomes?

Not actually the most important spoiler in the world but technically a campaign spoiler

One of groms pissed lines in the game is him singing "I can see clearly now, the rain is gone"

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Grom- Good to hear he's still singing. :)

Arthas- I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to retcon something of a dark past for him one of these days. Or not, since it also seems there are a lot of people who want to paint Arthas as a good guy no matter what among Blizzard fans before and even while he went crazy. Not saying this is a bad thing this time, just making an observation. I think it's safe to say, though, that after what he did in the last update, it's pretty clear he's all bad guy now. Except if you still want to cast him as the good guy, of course- as some people might.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

achtungnight posted:

Grom- Good to hear he's still singing. :)

Arthas- I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to retcon something of a dark past for him one of these days. Or not, since it also seems there are a lot of people who want to paint Arthas as a good guy no matter what among Blizzard fans before and even while he went crazy. Not saying this is a bad thing this time, just making an observation. I think it's safe to say, though, that after what he did in the last update, it's pretty clear he's all bad guy now. Except if you still want to cast him as the good guy, of course- as some people might.

As of the present in WoW, they emphatically have not. We're talking "literally ripped the frozen heart from his chest and threw it into a bottomless abyss because it was a weakness" level of saying absolutely no he's a villain through and through. Player death knights occasionally chat with his ghost in the extant WoW expansion where he confirms he has no regrets and no remorse.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Arthas is a full villain now. That doesn't mean he was secretly a serial killer as a kid or anything like that, and trying to make him look evil pre human campaign just cheapens his character.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Though amusingly, there is an official comic positing an alternate universe where Jaina stayed with Arthas through this, and at this point in the story it was Jaina who took up Frostmourne instead and killed both Mal'Ganis and Arthas with it afterwards.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The only particular bit of darkness that was retroactively added to Arthas's backstory was his steed, Invincible. Basically, he was present for his horse's birth, and grew up alongside him... until one fateful winter day, where he took a leap he shouldn't have, ended up missing the mark, and was forced to put Invincible down (since he still wasn't all that good at calling upon the Light to heal others at the time).

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
RevolverDivider- A good point. I was only curious about the official Lore as far as his backstory. It is common in some fantasy media to paint future villains as always villains in some way. If that is not the case here thus far, that is good too. Perhaps Blizzard shares your opinion and it will never be the case. I only asked out of curiosity, not to judge. Thanks to you, Cythereal, and Siegkrow for letting me know. If anyone else wants to add Lore they know of, that's fine too. I'll probably say little about it other than acknowledgement until after we see more of Arthas in the game- is it a spoiler to say that we will?

I don't mean to discuss his game future by bringing him up btw, just his past as a Human. It's clear he's not Human anymore.

[nods at the posts about Invincible and Dark Jaina that came in while I was typing]

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Though amusingly, there is an official comic positing an alternate universe where Jaina stayed with Arthas through this, and at this point in the story it was Jaina who took up Frostmourne instead and killed both Mal'Ganis and Arthas with it afterwards.

Stayed with him and stopped him from taking the hard choices by doing them before him.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

As of the present in WoW, they emphatically have not. We're talking "literally ripped the frozen heart from his chest and threw it into a bottomless abyss because it was a weakness" level of saying absolutely no he's a villain through and through. Player death knights occasionally chat with his ghost in the extant WoW expansion where he confirms he has no regrets and no remorse.

Although, the implication of the questline (and the Arthas book) is that the heart he ripped out was the last piece of his humanity (which now sits at the bottom of a pit as a ruby).

Even then the death they gave him was something more akin to "Released from Possession" rather than "Horrible Villain meets his end".

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Also, if you do the quest line for the legendary axe weapon from the final raid in Wrath, one of the rewards you get at the end is a box containing a few items that held sentimental value for Arthas before he fell from grace, including an old locket with Jaina's picture in it, an old training sword that he used when Muradin taught him how to fight, and an old tabard for the Order of the Silver Hand.

So it comes across a bit as Blizzard trying to have their cake and eat it, too. "Yes, he was totally a completely, utterly irredeemable villainous monster with no shred of humanity left in him! ... except for these few indicators that there was still some of the old Arthas left in there somewhere." :v:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It's more that the entire point of Arthas was he could've been a great force for good, he could've been the hero everyone thought he was, and he chose to be a monster; he chose to do the wrong thing. Arthas' story is one of tragedy, because he was absolutely primed to be a hero of humanity and great king, and he wrecks it all by being hotheaded, prideful and narrowly focused on the immediate future.

The Culling of Stratholme is his start of darkness not because he does it, but because he does it in the most awful way possible and actively pushes away his allies instead of talking to them. Then afterwards instead of going and talking to them and explaining himself he goes off on a personal quest for vengeance for no reason other than his own pride.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
The Scourge are great. Free healthcare, post-mortem racial harmony, a loving undead community/family, the works -- Arthas was doing the right thing trying to zombify everyone on the planet.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Hiveminded posted:

The Scourge are great. Free healthcare, post-mortem racial harmony, a loving undead community/family, the works -- Arthas was doing the right thing trying to zombify everyone on the planet.

You even get dental insurance.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Arthas did nothing wrong.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Instead of arguing, I'm just going to hum a certain Gary Jules song to myself in the corner. "I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad... it's a very very Mad World!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

lobster22221 posted:

You even get dental insurance.

But booze just doesn't work the same. Kel'Thuzad apologizes to player death knights about that in WoW.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Thing is, the Scourge IS a big happy family. It is weird. Everything outside of it is the enemy, but if you were part of the scourge (and sentient) the whole faction has this self aware humor to it, you can see it in some places in ICC, northernd, the DK starting zone...

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Cythereal posted:

But booze just doesn't work the same. Kel'Thuzad apologizes to player death knights about that in WoW.

Tangentially related to death knights, but I remember reading once that if you roll up an undead death knight in WoW, it means that your dude changed sides something like four times? Spoilers for the warcraft III expansion below.

Alliance to Scourge-- when you died
Scourge to Forsaken-- when you joined the WoW Undead faction
Forsaken to Scourge-- when you became a death knight
Scourge to Forsaken-- when you went back to the Horde

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Oh that sounds hilarious, is there a sauce?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siegkrow posted:

Oh that sounds hilarious, is there a sauce?

Yeah, one of the books lying around Acherus that you can read during the death knight starting sequence is a "Scourge 101: Now that you're an undead death knight, what to expect and how to deal with it, by Kel'Thuzad" book. One of the pages is "Alcohol is simply not the same, my apologies."

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, one of the books lying around Acherus that you can read during the death knight starting sequence is a "Scourge 101: Now that you're an undead death knight, what to expect and how to deal with it, by Kel'Thuzad" book. One of the pages is "Alcohol is simply not the same, my apologies."

Blizzard humor is the best. :allears:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Just how dead the Undead are is super inconsistent, by the way. A lot of the older ones end up mutating in weird ways.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

wiegieman posted:

Just how dead the Undead are is super inconsistent, by the way. A lot of the older ones end up mutating in weird ways.

What makes one Undead is incredibly vague in Warcraft to be fair. As an example it is possible to argue Arthas becomes Undead upon picking up Frostmourne. As the drat thing eats his soul then and there.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

What makes one Undead is incredibly vague in Warcraft to be fair. As an example it is possible to argue Arthas becomes Undead upon picking up Frostmourne. As the drat thing eats his soul then and there.

Was he immediately made undead then? Or was he just put under the lich kings full control, and just died later?

HowlingGod
Mar 27, 2016

lobster22221 posted:

Was he immediately made undead then? Or was he just put under the lich kings full control, and just died later?

He straddled somewhere between undead and human, but I would consider he was full unread the moment he removed his heart.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

HowlingGod posted:

He straddled somewhere between undead and human, but I would consider he was full unread the moment he removed his heart.

I think that is reasonable. You are not exact undead if you are still alive, and taking out your heart would definitely put an end to that. People die when they are killed.

Was only using spoilers because the lich king has only been referred to as the dark lord.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Hiveminded posted:

I mean, they view all other races as inferior and want to make them all undead. I am not sure if that counts as racial harmony.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean, they view all other races as inferior and want to make them all undead. I am not sure if that counts as racial harmony.

If all the Non Star-Bellied Sneetches would have stars then all would be in harmony. Can’t argue with the logic.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I'd point out that, in WoW, we still dunno if playable DKs are alive with a lot of necrotic energy or outright undead (excepting forsaken)

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
This has me thinking, necromancers are not undead right? If that is the case, why can they be damaged by holy light? Is that lore justified or is it just gameplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Necromancers are probably close to being Undead thanks to their use of related Magic... which has already been mentioned as to blame for their corpse-like appearance.

• Locked thread