Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

McTinkerson posted:

On the subject of spring,

when the time finally comes that I can swap back to summer wheels, where in this province or country can I get aluminium lug nuts in M14x1.5? The steel "powder coated" set from Pro Comp have rusted beyond belief in 1.5 years.
I'm having serious issues finding anything at all.

What you really want is some zinc plated steel ones. I would think aluminium is gonna turn to cheese if you look at it wrong when torquing it down.

Alternatively do what Slidebite said and spring for some nice stainless steel ones.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah I'd just get some chrome plated steel ones.

Yikes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Stick to steel. I have a pretty good selection and drive to ab on a fairly regular basis btw.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Spend more on your lugnuts than you could on a full set of tires.
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EM&Product_Code=AMUSE-LUGNUTS&Category_Code=L1

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah I'd just get some chrome plated steel ones.

Yikes.

The problem with chrome plated is that they often coat the threads too. This causes them to bind up. I ran into this twice with shank style lug nuts on my racecars back in the day. You would then have to remove them with an impact and the lug itself would look like a beaver ate it.

This actually cost me a race one time. I got super paranoid and started chasing the threads on my lugnuts with a tap to remove the chrome coating, since then I've always used coppercoat antisieze on all my vehicle lugs.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 15, 2018

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Got a question for you guys. I had to drive out to Strathmore in heavy fog this morning cause the dog needs a tooth extracted and about 10-20% of the vehicles on the road had their hazards on. What's the deal with this? Is it a rural thing or something?

Maybe I'm wrong but to me it's almost as bad as not having any lights on at all, I've got no clue if you're hitting the brakes or about to turn with them on. We don't get alot of fog in Calgary itself but this is the first time I've noticed people using them because of the fog.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use the hazards whenever you're travelling way below the speed limit. I don't have much experience driving in whiteout fog, so I put mine on and get over to the right whenever I encounter it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah this wasn't that, it was guys going the exact same speed as everyone else on the highway but with hazards on.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, I see it to. They think they're helping with visibility or something I guess. I suppose from the rear it might make them a little more visible and most cars here don't have rear fogs... which thank god we don't because people here would be so loving confused with them. They have a hard enough time with front facing fog lights.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah it's supposed to increase your visibility.

I find it helps me see them sooner when I'm coming up on some grandma terrified of a little snow during a storm.

I use it during fog too, it can help a bit.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Yeah, I see it to. They think they're helping with visibility or something I guess. I suppose from the rear it might make them a little more visible and most cars here don't have rear fogs... which thank god we don't because people here would be so loving confused with them. They have a hard enough time with front facing fog lights.

Every loving Land Rover and low tier jaguar are running around with the rear fogs on at night around here. It's surprising how blinding it is and just drat, how clueless are the owners?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Because non-stupid contries have amber loving turnsignals not blinking brake lights like its 1930.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In Grande prairie when we get the super fog, especially frozen fog I will run my 4 ways on with the big vehicles, but usually at that point I'm going like 40km/h because visibility is a bus length and the fog collects on the windshield and freezes.

I also turn them off once someone behind has caught up and then they usually throw theirs on.

If the visibility is good enough to go fast I don't bother. I only use them if I'm worried that someone coming up from behind might hit me.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
The melting snow's formed a foot deep pothole at the end of my condo's driveway, didn't see it and nearly smashed my jaw on the steering wheel this morning. Just gently caress off, winter.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bajaha posted:

Every loving Land Rover and low tier jaguar are running around with the rear fogs on at night around here. It's surprising how blinding it is and just drat, how clueless are the owners?
Your Boxster has rear fogs I assume? Admittedly I rarely drive the 911, but I don't think I've turned mine on more than twice, and both times were in my garage.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 17, 2018

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Your Boxster has rear fogs I assume? Admittedly I rarely drive the 911, but I don't think I've turned mine on more than twice, and both times were in my garage.

Yup, built into the inner corner of the taillights iirc and same for rarity of use. I've used them only once during a thick morning fog.

I've only ever seen them on Euro cars and I remember seeing the local Honda guys go nuts for the JDM rear fog for the older civics, I think I saw them listed at $400+ $200+ on the local Facebook Honda marketplace page for what essentially looks like a rectangular trailer light that mounts in the bumper. I don't recall seeing it on a lot of other JDM cars so I don't think it's that popular in Japan.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 17, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I went on the internet and i found this!

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/workspace/handleMediaPlayer?qvq=&trs=&mi=&lunaMediaId=RUMSEY~8~1~212315~5500350

Map of Alberta/BC from 1956.

Highway 2 wasn't completely paved. There was no paved roads to jasper. What is now highway 93 south of jasper was closed in the winter. Grand Cache doesn't even exist, there wasn't even a trail to where it is now.

e: highway 9 to Hanna was paved before Highway 2 to red deer. Airdrie smaller than Didsbury.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 20, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I love poo poo like that. No Grand Cache, Fox Creek. Highway 43 wasn't paved hardly at all. Bowness and Midnapore are shown as separate towns from Calgary. No Forest Trunk road either, which to be honest surprises me a little bit, must have been close to that time.

My mom used to live in Fairview in the 50s, and she said that if they ever went to Edmonton they take #2 instead of 43/34 because it was a much, much better highway. Several times there would be heavy equipment to help tow people up hills east of Fox Creek.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's fantastic! University of Alberta is on the edge of Edmonton, lots of dams hadn't been built yet (no Brazeau reservoir, for example), Highway 1 is unpaved in many places, including almost all of BC east of Revelstoke, the Island Highway on Vancouver Island (Hwy 19) ends at Kelsey Bay...

Thanks for posting that. I had planned to get some more work done this afternoon but oh well.

EDIT: It's a Shell map, and Fort McMurray isn't on it.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 20, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The future highway 16 to PG and hwy 5 to Clearwater is shown. The amount of infrastructure still to be built in the 50s-60s was pretty drat impressive.

It would be neat to see maps from say the 30s and then every few years afterwards to see everything get built up.

E: that same website has some!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 20, 2018

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm on my phone at a subway with a face full of food so I won't check, but is there a similar map showing the progression of pipelines ?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I didn't see anything with pipelines

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Funny, I was just browsing around the Calgary Public Library's online collection of digitised maps of Calgary and Alberta...it's pretty incredible how much this city has grown over the last 100 years, almost as much as just how much stuff was built up even a hundred years ago. Like, the city limits in 1920 were pretty much right down to Heritage Drive already.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

There's a really neat aerial photo map of Calgary taken in, I think, the twenties or maybe early thirties. I saw I copy in the basement of the ranchmens club across from the lougheed house when I was there for a meeting a couple months ago.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I keep checking out old maps. I found one from 1914 that shows Cygnet Lake to be roughly half the size as Sylvan Lake. I drew the mapped lake over the current satellite view.

It also shows the railroad going right through the middle of it, so maybe cartographers were just being a little cheeky.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus loving christ this loving winter loving END ALREADY! We had goslings swimming around 2nd to last week of March last year. This year, 13 god drat below in April

:argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Day 7 though, gonna be +1*c

It's -23*c here right now. good april fools joke, that.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pisspoor footage but a few days after the last ice race we took the UTV's out onto Clairmont lake.

They have 2 tracks, a 5.5km track for motorcycles and a 7km track for ATV/UTV's. We were having way too much fun to film but I stopped and filmed my dad in his rzr 570 a couple times. It's funny how slow it looks on video vs how fast it seems when you're fighting traction. Of course it would've been much quicker with tire screws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NE2T4T2sWo

Here is a highlights from the previous weekend

https://www.facebook.com/wapitioffroad/videos/1721056524646750/

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Anyone else planning to come on TM2TW3?

Thread here

Could always use more teams, should be a fun drive out to kitimat. :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials stud!

Unfortunately, you picked my holiday week again and we're already planing on going to SFO for 5 days. I think if I told Mrs. Slidebite "Change of plans - we're driving a beater to Kitimat! Hell, we might not even make it!" you'd find out quite quickly how well your wife would cope with having a random internet "friend" sleeping on your couch.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials stud!

Unfortunately, you picked my holiday week again and we're already planing on going to SFO for 5 days. I think if I told Mrs. Slidebite "Change of plans - we're driving a beater to Kitimat! Hell, we might not even make it!" you'd find out quite quickly how well your wife would cope with having a random internet "friend" sleeping on your couch.

Honestly, the lot of us are way less likely to pickpocket you than your average SFO megahobo.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I'll be driving up to Jasper from Calgary for the first time in a week or two, is there anything worth stopping off/taking a diversion to see on the way up there? We're already doing the ice fields and the canyon/lake near Jasper.

Also do I have to buy a Banff park pass if I'm just heading all the way through?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You will need to buy a pass. The only time you can get away from the pass is if your going through the park (IE: Highway 1/16) but since the icefield parkway begins and ends in the national park, you'll be getting a pass.

There are several trails and viewpoints along the way, but this time of year the snow will be chest deep in many areas. You might just be able to do some sightseeing and look at the Athabasca glacier (or whats left of it).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The Athabasca waterfalls along highway 93 are really nice. Especially if they're still frozen.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Mistaya canyon is a nice quick stop and a short walk down. It's pretty cool and I'd say worth the stop.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Saskatchewan crossing has.... decent bathrooms?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The entire Icefields Parkway is excellent, plan to stop at lots of places for views and just to take it in. Bow Lake will be accessible (they plow part of the parking lot in winter) and there are a bunch of trails leading to things like waterfalls that are maintained (to some extent) all winter as well. Snowshoes might be helpful if you have them but for a bunch of stuff you *probably* won't need them. The rule for winter tires is probably still in effect into May, but I think that comes down to your own judgement at this point - I've never been stopped on the Parkway for a tire-check but I have always had winter tires in winter on it. They plow it, but ice tends to linger in the shady corners.

It takes about 3 hours to drive the full length of the Parkway if you don't stop, but it's much better to treat it as an all-day thing and just enjoy it. It routinely shows up in lists of Most Scenic Drives in North America (and the world), I think deservedly so.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Thanks for the advice. I got the winter tires taken off last week, hope the rangers won't pull me over.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The dam in my back alley has finally broken and drained the lake behind my garage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

The dam in my back alley has finally broken and drained the lake behind my garage!

Great, now your garage door can freeze to the ground.