Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Man, I read this and totally thought it was gonna be an IG, but nope a horn.

I can't help but feel like that's a missed opportunity.

Vespoid Horn is real good for Kushala to negate his wind bullshit.

Xeno Horn does the same thing but I was too lazy to farm him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Pollyanna posted:

Is bow for elemental damage instead of dragonpiercer 24/7 still viable, or has DP really outclassed it by that much? How does the setup change between the two? I know that critdraw DP is all the rage these days, but I don't hear much about attacking normally for bow.

Elemental bow is better than DP bow by a pretty considerable margin for solo play. Multiplayer DP bow is better and the crit draw build is fine (although I prefer a regular DP build). Ele crit is more damage, more mobility, and much more CC, but multiplayer throws a lot of its strengths out the window. It's harder to stay in the monsters face since it will move around a lot more (targeting different players), other players will trip you since you're basically in melee range most of the time, and you can't use arrow rain unless your group is premade and running flinch free. So go elemental crit solo, dragon piercer online.

Here's (arguably) the best bow speedrunner in the West: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYKxxq2Px3t_dPXtLcT0ZKQ/videos if you want to see what the top end is doing. Phemeto on youtube is also a great resource although he's burning out a bit.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 15, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Night Blade posted:

I wonder if colorblind people have trouble dealing with Kirin. Even I have trouble seeing the boundaries of some of this dumb light blue gradient telegraphs over the light blue floor you fight him on.

Kirin was QAed solely by people who were proven to have no trouble collecting legiana shinies under direct sunlight

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I get that people are frustrated (this is my first monhan and I had hella gripes too) but why is there so much blaming of bad game design

What happened to "this game is unfair" or "this game is too hard" is talking about game design a thing now

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

I get that people are frustrated (this is my first monhan and I had hella gripes too) but why is there so much blaming of bad game design

What happened to "this game is unfair" or "this game is too hard" is talking about game design a thing now

Everyone is an expert because internet.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

AnonSpore posted:

There’s enough youtube videos about game design nowadays that everyone thinks they’re a game designer. Also makes you sound smarter when you say a game has bad design compared to complaining about the game being bad.

As an actual for-realsies game designer it's a real pet peeve of mine, especially since a not-insignificant amount of the time people say something is badly designed it's actually designed quite well.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

AnonSpore posted:

It's the new buzzword to shift blame away from you sucking and blaming it on the people that made the game that you suck at.

tl;dr: you suck.*

* - You suck.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lately I've been trying to take a step back and think about what the design goal is behind game systems/choices that I don't understand, and sometimes if I think there might be a better way to achieve those goals. This frequently leads to me posting far too many words about food in Zelda.

Usually when I read a "this is bad game design" complaint it has a tone of "the developers objectively didn't know what they were doing"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You know what's actual bad game design

The loving investigations management UI

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AnonSpore posted:

HARD YES

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

AnonSpore posted:

This

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's some real bad UX is what it is

I always wonder if whoever designs real lovely menus just didn't think about it or ran out of time and just had to get something working in time to ship it

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

AnonSpore posted:

yup

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

monhun in general is way too menu heavy and every menu has a confirmation menu just to make double sure I clicked the right menu on top of that menu and gently caress off I'm playing a videogame not filing an important tax return or some poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Monomythian posted:

monhun in general is way too menu heavy and every menu has a confirmation menu just to make double sure I clicked the right menu on top of that menu and gently caress off I'm playing a videogame not filing an important tax return or some poo poo.

Equip Now?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

I always wonder if whoever designs real lovely menus just didn't think about it or ran out of time and just had to get something working in time to ship it

Probably means the UI people were too busy putting out fires or solving problems elsewhere and they had to just settle for a design that worked, even if it wasn't very good.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I can't be the only one who sat through the credits and mentality said "Good job everyone" until it scrolled past the User Interface Team......"except you."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

AnonSpore posted:

Bad UI / UX design, not game design. Although it’s totally possible a game designer drafted up the flow in the first place :v:

Harrow posted:

It could very well be something to do with the code, as well. It’s possible that the way investigations are added to the list that it’s not possible to sort them by anything other than star difficulty, or that functionality was there at one point but was very buggy and couldn’t be fixed before launch, who knows. It's not likely that the menus were purposefully designed to be this bad, it's likely that they couldn't reasonably make it otherwise before the release date.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

It could very well be something to do with the code, as well. It’s possible that the way investigations are added to the list that it’s not possible to sort them by anything other than star difficulty, or that functionality was there at one point but was very buggy and couldn’t be fixed before launch, who knows. It's not likely that the menus were purposefully designed to be this bad, it's likely that they couldn't reasonably make it otherwise before the release date.

That would make sense, MHW is running off MT Framework, which Capcom was suppose to replace ages ago with Panta Rhei. Something must have gone seriously wrong with that and Deep Down though because they were suppose to be a launch PS4 thing and we haven't heard a lick of news on either Deep Down or Panta Rhei since 2014.

I love MT Framework and it's amazing that something worked on by one programmer back in 2004 became the backbone for almost all their games.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This "don't play with pubbies, players below HR 1,000,000, or non-Nippon-special-race" advice is silly. There's nothing about goons that's made us better than random internet person, modulo possibly voice chat but why would you pick goons as a better population for enabling that over other random folks?

I soloed every Assignment and Optional till I got to HR and they dumped all these repetitive Optionals on me with the same monsters I'd already defeated in LR, and not really any harder as you had way better gear. I did MP once I had completed a monster solo. My admittedly limited experience (about 70-80 hours since the day the game came out) is that random SoS missions whether you're sending out the SoS or helping are generally ok (I disabled voice chat before starting), provided you yourself know what you're doing when sending or selecting the mission.

If you SoS help an Assignment, expect the host and probably some of the others who may be trying to get through the mission themselves to have no idea as to what's going on. But that's ok, since you should only be doing this if you are sunbroing to help new players and don't care if the mission fails or because you need help getting through yourself.

There really is no reason to SoS an Optional unless you need to pick up tracks and there's no Investigation available or you don't want to run it yourself solo because it's repetitive (since for eg you killed that same monster solo on LR and don't find HR more challenging). If you SoS this for other reasons, expect to be playing with people just as confused as you are.

Investigations are the meat of your gear grind and usually have good players who are aware of the game even if they do make mistakes occasionally. I've had the odd failed Investigation, but they're really quite rare.

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Does the thread have any opinions on Insect Glaive? I've been screwing around in the training area trying to find other weapons to focus on and it feels like the polar opposite of Gunlance but I've also never seen one in MP and I heard mounting isn't really beneficial. Also I almost never mount because I'm playing Gunlance and I'm too busy unloading a shotgun into something's face.

This was a few pages back but I’ve played IG more than anything else and beat Nerg for the first time using it and I can say I have a really fun time with it but hunts go faster if I use a hammer or GS. I try to mount as much as possible and I’m pretty consistent with being rewarded monster face smashing sessions.

I’d also like to mention that I just recently got into using GS and I currently don’t want to use anything else. It has such a great, satisfying feel to it, especially when you have Odogaron mastery, quick sheath and speed sharpening.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

puking pentagrams posted:

This was a few pages back but I’ve played IG more than anything else and beat Nerg for the first time using it and I can say I have a really fun time with it but hunts go faster if I use a hammer or GS. I try to mount as much as possible and I’m pretty consistent with being rewarded monster face smashing sessions.

I’d also like to mention that I just recently got into using GS and I currently don’t want to use anything else. It has such a great, satisfying feel to it, especially when you have Odogaron mastery, quick sheath and speed sharpening.

Looking forward to the IG buffs in the patch. Extracts don't run out while mounted and an all-around damage buff, hell yeah

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
9 teostras, 9 times both wings broken, no webbings

is there a secret technique to this

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kawabata posted:

You should try going in with the intention of getting horns, that way you'll get plenty of webbings and 0 horns! :pseudo:

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Your Computer posted:

You should try going in with the intention of getting horns, that way you'll get plenty of webbings and 0 horns! :pseudo:

I'll try that

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The desire sensor can smell deceit though. First you must go to the workshop and find a weapon you want that requires horns and hover over it a few seconds. Then your ruse may work. Should burn some sage to be sure.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

add it to your wishlist, add like 3 thing with horns to it, maybe a tail for good measure

oh and pet poogie before you head out

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Use a voucher

Not the lucky voucher, the meal voucher

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

big nipples big life posted:

pet poogie before you head out

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Your Computer posted:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Some of Kirin's thunder attacks leave him vulnerable afterwards. Charging you and attempting to gore you with his horn also generally leaves him a bit vulnerable afterwards. Hit him in his dumb head during these very vulnerable periods and only during these very vulnerable periods and you should be fine. Otherwise, just keep moving perpendicular to the jerk horse, but try to avoid getting too close to any walls or corners. And, obviously, don't move into his stupid lightening tells on the ground.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The desire sensor can smell deceit though. First you must go to the workshop and find a weapon you want that requires horns and hover over it a few seconds. Then your ruse may work. Should burn some sage to be sure.
All the weapon stones I've got so far are for bowguns. Which I'm not a fan of due to being lazy about crafting ammo. :negative:

But, when the game is obviously so intent on me making one, went with the pukei-pukei tree so I could poison / pierce the poo poo out of Xeno specifically and speed things up. I'm guessing extra sockets / damage is the way to go, as affinity isn't a big thing on single-digit damage ( 0% right now, so it's not negative either ), and I'm not planning to get smacked around in melee so no point picking up lifesteal / defense.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Night Blade posted:

I wonder if colorblind people have trouble dealing with Kirin. Even I have trouble seeing the boundaries of some of this dumb light blue gradient telegraphs over the light blue floor you fight him on.

Not my type of colorblindness but in other games I have been absolutely defeated by their color choices (tracking red tracks on green grass in The Witcher 3 for example, until I discovered it had a colorblind mode anyway).

Finding those lovely frogs in FFXV is another bad one with no colorblind-friendly option but I think normal-sighted folks even have trouble with that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
fyi not every game that can be played for a long time and you'll still get new stuff is a "skinner box". like usually "skinner box" should be only used to refer to stuff like clicker games imo. you have to "git gud" and engage with MonHunWo in order to play it "forever" and keep getting new stuff so i think that's a bit different.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Kawabata posted:

Are you getting something for breaking his wings at least?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

limited posted:

All the weapon stones I've got so far are for bowguns. Which I'm not a fan of due to being lazy about crafting ammo. :negative:

But, when the game is obviously so intent on me making one, went with the pukei-pukei tree so I could poison / pierce the poo poo out of Xeno specifically and speed things up. I'm guessing extra sockets / damage is the way to go, as affinity isn't a big thing on single-digit damage ( 0% right now, so it's not negative either ), and I'm not planning to get smacked around in melee so no point picking up lifesteal / defense.

I finally got an augment streamstone today, and it was for lances. I love gunlance! Then I noticed I need multiples of them for one level.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I finally got an augment streamstone today, and it was for lances. I love gunlance! Then I noticed I need multiples of them for one level.

Rank 6 need 1 warrior's stone, Rank 7 needs 2 warriors, Rank 8 needs one hero's.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Good to know!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

precision posted:

fyi not every game that can be played for a long time and you'll still get new stuff is a "skinner box". like usually "skinner box" should be only used to refer to stuff like clicker games imo. you have to "git gud" and engage with MonHunWo in order to play it "forever" and keep getting new stuff so i think that's a bit different.

Yes not every long term game is a skinner box, but Monster Hunter definitely has (and always has had) skinner box elements. The whole point of a skinner box is that if you randomly receive rewards for doing an action, you’ll be conditioned to want to do that action as much as possible. Grinding for gems and such could be construed as a skinner box, but much more obvious is the new investigation decoration farming. The endgame of MHW is literally a skinnerbox treadmill - do an action (fight monsters) and you’ll randomly receive a reward (decent decorations).

Monster Hunter definitely has a lot more going for it than many other skinner box games, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t one. And having skinner box elements doesn’t make a game bad, in fact the skinner box elements on their own aren’t always bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's fair. I'm at 130 hours and still haven't fought a single tempered monster so the endgame is still a mystery to me :j: