Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hisoka must have had to fight enhancers before, and any decently competent enhancer would have been faster and stronger than hisoka ever could be. but enhancers have to maintain that by using aura, and they can be distracted, fooled, demoralized, surprised, etc. hisoka tends to win by turning a purely physical battle into a mental battle, and chrollo beat him by keeping it physical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I really do want to see Illumi in a serious battle though, because Hisoka holds him in a fairly high regard. Maybe he will get to fight one of the Spiders and also Hisoka.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hisoka must have had to fight enhancers before, and any decently competent enhancer would have been faster and stronger than hisoka ever could be. but enhancers have to maintain that by using aura, and they can be distracted, fooled, demoralized, surprised, etc. hisoka tends to win by turning a purely physical battle into a mental battle, and chrollo beat him by keeping it physical.
The way I read the fight, Chrollo won by both cheating/preparation but primarily by winning the mental battle? Of course he managed to get Hisoka into an obvious trap, but primarily his main achievement was to get Hisoka focused on a stupid mental chess game of rules that, while 90% true, were presented solely to throw him off his game. While Hisoka was busy mentalgasming at the imaginary complex fight in front of him, Chrollo and his friends (cheating) quitely jumped to the sides and just threw in hundreds of dumb cannon fodder until he died. Chrollo was playing tic-tac-toe but got Hisoka busy playing pointless mental chess.

It's an amazingly written fight though so I can understand that there are multiple interpretations of it.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 14, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
those copies which could not be fooled, talked to or killed and had to be destroyed one by one were like a checklist of poo poo hisoka was bad with. all the other stuff provided extra pressure but it ended up being the copies that did most of the work. i thought at the time that chrollo had probably filled the audience with copies beforehand, but no. he made all of those while he was running from hisoka.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 14, 2018

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Hisoka lost that fight the second he let Chrollo choose the location.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

Hisoka lost that fight the second he let Chrollo choose the location.

Yeah this. That said Chrollo was a smart boy who realised Hisoka was thirsty enough to agree to anything as long as it meant they'd fight. 4D chess

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I know you guys have heard of Bungee Gum. But what about Bungee Cum?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Surprisingly yes, that is a thing.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

Ah yes the combination of Rubber and Cum

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Bungee Cum is the name of my new indie prog metal band
(It’s the names of my two cats put together)

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 14, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Bungee Cum is the name of my new indie prog metal band
(It’s the names of my two cats put together)

You named one of your cats Cum?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

those copies which could not be fooled, talked to or killed and had to be destroyed one by one were like a checklist of poo poo hisoka was bad with. all the other stuff provided extra pressure but it ended up being the copies that did most of the work. i thought at the time that chrollo had probably filled the audience with copies beforehand, but no. he made all of those while he was running from hisoka.

No he stacked the audience with copies beforehand. Hisoka even said he should have only been able to create about 40 of them. Even less if he was using sun and moon to make them permanent. Chrollo had hundreds he had to have made a bunch prior.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

You named one of your cats Cum?

Yes, though it definitely gets confusing having the same name as my pet.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yes, though it definitely gets confusing having the same name as my pet.

come to cum, cum for cum

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
come for the gum

stay for the cum

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
im super positive chrollo set up a bunch of puppets beforehand because the numbers hisoka was guessing at max weren't even a 1/10th of what chrollo threw at him, even before hisoka realized chrollo needs to stop the chain of commands to add more sun/moon seals

which means hisoka is gonna scooby doo floor splat trap half the spiders before they start wising up

edit: drat you monsterenvy

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I really hope we get a breakdown of Hisoka v. Chrollo later in the series. (Maybe even as part of Hisoka v. Chrollo 2). It's been long enough that it wouldn't cheapen the fight, and it would be really cathartic after having put together what was actually going on.

**after having read other people put together what was going on

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
A clown got clowned.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wellwinds posted:

I wonder if someone in the HxH world has made themselves an actual death note

Gets into a high spirited shonen battle and then "you're a talented fighter! What's your name?"

Have you seen Togashi's written names? That ability would be loving useless

"You're, uh, still alive. Can you repeat that?"

"gently caress. Okay, one more time, slowly."

"god loving drat it how is your name only consonants"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Have you seen Togashi's written names? That ability would be loving useless

"You're, uh, still alive. Can you repeat that?"

"gently caress. Okay, one more time, slowly."

"god loving drat it how is your name only consonants"

What do you mean? How hard can it be to spell Quwrof Wrlccywrlfh?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I have a name that can only be spelled correctly in the color orange.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
chrollo vs hisoka is genuinely one of the best shonen fights i think i've ever read. its paced incredibly, there's insanely memorable panels, it defies a TON of shonen fight tropes/themes while sticking true to the core narrative of both characters. i really love it

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Hisoka finally going all out was pretty sick

Also, ”the human head weighs around 5 kilos...”

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New chapter 'spoilers'

Togashi musing: "Should I continue one of the multiple subplots, or should I make a new one with new characters and new powers??"
Togashi: *grins*

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the spoilers

As I predicted Feitan and Phinks remain conjoined at the hip. And they force Nobunaga into their group. Phinks wanting to attack Hisoka with three of the troupes strongest fighters and not even give him hope of victory. As he and Feitan view Hisoka's death as priority one, who kills him and how he dies is a distant second.

Also the mafia heads are sorta members of the royal family. Two of them are Nasubi's half siblings and illegitimate children of the last king, while the other is an illegitimate daughter of Nasubi.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 15, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

From the spoilers

As I predicted Feitan and Phinks remain conjoined at the hip. And force Nobunaga into their group. Phinks wanting to attack Hisoka with three of the troupes strongest fighters and not even give him hope of victory. As he and Feitan view Hisoka's death as priority one, who kills him and how he dies is a distant second.

Also the mafia heads are sorta members of the royal family. Two of them are Nasubi's half siblings and illegitimate children of the last king, while the other is an illegitimate daughter of Nasubi.

That raises the possibility that there's an "extra" coffin because the daughter who runs the mafia counts as a prince too.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

New chapter 'spoilers'

Togashi musing: "Should I continue one of the multiple subplots, or should I make a new one with new characters and new powers??"

son of a bitch

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

From the spoilers

As I predicted Feitan and Phinks remain conjoined at the hip. And they force Nobunaga into their group. Phinks wanting to attack Hisoka with three of the troupes strongest fighters and not even give him hope of victory. As he and Feitan view Hisoka's death as priority one, who kills him and how he dies is a distant second.

I thought it was weird to specify that the 14 princes were his Legitimate children and is 8 wives were legitimate wives

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hunter is out.

https://readms.net/r/hunter_x_hunter/378/4960/1

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love the way the entire chapter is framed.

It's amazing.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Turin Turambar posted:

New chapter 'spoilers'

Togashi you absolute madman

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This arc is insane and I'm very ready for it to be my new favorite when it's completed in who the gently caress knows how long.

The wait is always worth it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

what the gently caress more characters

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is like fairy tail if the author knew what he was doing

or at least did a good job of making it seem like he knew what he was doing

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Has there been any announcement of how many chapters are left?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

its so loving hilarious that the Spiders have tons of fanboys/fangirls inside their own universe.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Has there been any announcement of how many chapters are left?

Of course not. Other then the fact we should still be on Night 4 of a 60 day voyage.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
lmfao this is getting absurd but at the same time its really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I've been a supporter of Nobunaga in the face of decades of mockery heaped upon him over his "4m En", believing all this time that it's not the fact that his En is a whopping 4 meters that he's so proud of, but that he has some special move that lets him instantly/infallibly strike anyone within 4 meters he can sense within his En or something, instead.

I want him to at least live long enough to prove he wasn't just a total buffoon all these years. That's enough.

The fact that he's the sensible straight man in this trio, given his hothead status in YorkNew over the death of his buddy, has been delightful, too.