Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

Artum posted:

I've found the trick with magnetising is to also drill and pin the thing, so it doesn't wobble about or fall off.

Its how I dealt with the repulsors incredibly awkward base.

Yeah stability was my concern. So you have pins in addition to the actual magnet to lock items into place?
Would be curious to see how did your repulsor if you had a photo handy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

I've found the trick with magnetising is to also drill and pin the thing, so it doesn't wobble about or fall off.

Its how I dealt with the repulsors incredibly awkward base.

Really, you had issues with the repulsor base? I found it really easy, just glue one half of the stand to the base and one half to the tank. Haven't had any troubles or wobbles with either of mine.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So this is a hell of a long-shot but: does anyone remember a White Dwarf battle report from long long ago (this would have probably been proximate to the Inquisitor RPG or the release of the Witchhunters Codex) that had an =I= team with this absurdly decked-out heretic cage on the back of a Rhino or maybe a Chimera?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Booley posted:

Really, you had issues with the repulsor base? I found it really easy, just glue one half of the stand to the base and one half to the tank. Haven't had any troubles or wobbles with either of mine.

See that would have been the smart thing to do and Im not.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

So this is a hell of a long-shot but: does anyone remember a White Dwarf battle report from long long ago (this would have probably been proximate to the Inquisitor RPG or the release of the Witchhunters Codex) that had an =I= team with this absurdly decked-out heretic cage on the back of a Rhino or maybe a Chimera?

oh my god i remember this

it was a rhino chassis with a glass tube that contained a heretic but also was a *jet turbine* so if you needed to you could deep-fry the fucker before they broke out, i remember they had an article on the website in the early 2000s on how to make it

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Schadenboner posted:

I vaguely recall it. Looking it up shows a Witchhunters vs 13th Company batrep around the time that the Witchhunters Codex came out and that sounds super familiar but I can't find a copy of it to check.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Schadenboner posted:

Are you part of the Middlehammer group on Facebook? They'd be your guys for this.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

Prioritize one at a time and have sub-goals, such as "one HQ, two troops." Use bigger or flashier models as a reward for finishing a full squad of troops or something more boring. Plan what you want to field and paint that, and don't play with things that aren't full assembled and painted, so you have a reason to paint them.

I've 'finished' 6 armies of 2k+ points and I can tell you that it is, in fact, possible.

Do you ever actually finish an army? I've always found it more like an open project, where yes I have basically everything I currently own painted but there's always scope to add more (which gets increasingly tricky the more armies I have).

Like right now my Fists and DE are sat around more or less in stasis with only small bits to do, my Guard have been my main gaming army and actively added to, and Ad Mech are a new project. Since I came back relatively recently the AM have taken longer than they should have since I've been retooling the Guard.

8th and souping have changed things up since I'm planning to expand my BA but mostly for purposes of bolting on to Guard, then once them and Ad Mech are 'done' I'll be moving on to something new - but that doesn't mean I'll never revisit them and I definitely have future plans for adding to them.

Idk this is kind of rambling, it's just interesting to explore how people go about building and painting stuff and their attitude to whether you have 'a project with x parameters' or 'a group of options to draw from.'

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
New kill team sounds interesting but they should just make it a supplement for necromunda.

Or really they should make gorkamorka with rules for all factions.

So you have your eldar or chaos or whatever base buildings to level up between games of kill team. Would be perfect.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

BirdieBedtime posted:

It may be (pedantically?) worth pointing out that the Codex you're referring to was a holdover from 3rd Edition. The 4th Edition Chaos book was, infamously, the one marking the shift of GW's rules writing from "wild and complicated" to "streamlined and kinda boring."

Oh shiiiit yeah, I thought that book had come out in 5th. The book that made me almost sell my chaos marines.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SRM posted:

Are you part of the Middlehammer group on Facebook? They'd be your guys for this.

:tinfoil::hf::ohdear:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

Do you ever actually finish an army? I've always found it more like an open project, where yes I have basically everything I currently own painted but there's always scope to add more (which gets increasingly tricky the more armies I have).

Idk this is kind of rambling, it's just interesting to explore how people go about building and painting stuff and their attitude to whether you have 'a project with x parameters' or 'a group of options to draw from.'

There's always "room to add more," and I may do that from time to time, but my Night Lords, World Eaters, Iron Warriors, White Panthers, Deathwatch, and Black Legion are all what I would consider "done." That is, there's nothing specific that I need to paint for them now, only potential add-ons I may want to add to them later (and those are done on a "this would be fun to do" basis rather than an "I have to finish this' basis). The difference is I'm not actively planning on assembling and painting for those armies, and they don't have a backlog associated with them (I have a "general" chaos backlog but that's allocated to other armies right now, like Death Guard and Thousand Sons). They're also built differently--the Night Lords army is primarily Raptors and bikes, with a pair of Heldrakes, while the Iron Warriors army has Vindicators, Obliterators, and a Defiler.

I may add on to the black Legion with some Obliterators for NoVA, or add to any one of them if new models are released, but I no longer plan to add to them and instead field the army that matches the type of strategy I want to bring/style I want to play.

The Black Legion and World Eaters I built almost entirely for 7th edition around the formations--the only thing I miss about formations was they made building and painting an army very easy because I could sit down and go "I want to add formation X onto my army, and then I'd do that group of units. They definitely reflect it in some ways, such as my World Eaters having the only possessed models, or the Black Legion having a pair of Forgefiends. But unless Angron and new Berserkers come out, that World Eaters army has everything it needs to play the style I want to play, i.e. drop a fuckload of berserkers on the opponent. I'm not so worried that it doesn't have say, heavy weapon options, or that my iron warriors don't have lots of fast attack options because if I'm playing those armies, that's not the strategy I'm trying to employ.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Schadenboner posted:

Do you have a rough issue number? I have a crate of old white dwarf issues in the attic I would be only too happy to have an excuse to go through.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The upstart Necrons and you!

quote:

Like any good Imperial citizen, you should view human remains as a powerful reminder of your own fragile mortality compared to the might of the Imperium and the Emperor. It is for this reason that your living quarters, wargear, reading material, space vessels, uniforms, and fellow soldiers have been emblazoned with a tasteful smattering of skull decorations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That's actually an interesting point and one I've seen from other people (I'm thinking particularly of two guys I knew irl who had a bunch of different SM/IG armies). If I want a new playstyle, I use the base army I already have (Crimson Fists or my custom Guard) and add more to it, so I end up with like 10,000pts of Fists. They were doing the same as you - e.g. a bike-based army as White Scars, jump packers as Raven Guard, etc. so you end up with a bunch of discrete mini-armies within the same faction. It's a cool approach for variety and I suppose it does make it easier to finish a project since you can say 'I have 2-3k of World Eaters which covers everything I want from Chaos Melee Dudes, time to move on to Death Guard' or whatever.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

That's actually an interesting point and one I've seen from other people (I'm thinking particularly of two guys I knew irl who had a bunch of different SM/IG armies). If I want a new playstyle, I use the base army I already have (Crimson Fists or my custom Guard) and add more to it, so I end up with like 10,000pts of Fists. They were doing the same as you - e.g. a bike-based army as White Scars, jump packers as Raven Guard, etc. so you end up with a bunch of discrete mini-armies within the same faction. It's a cool approach for variety and I suppose it does make it easier to finish a project since you can say 'I have 2-3k of World Eaters which covers everything I want from Chaos Melee Dudes, time to move on to Death Guard' or whatever.

It also has the benefit of being better-suited to 8th edition rules for tournaments, I guess. Where if you want to run fightmans, you should do a detachment of world eaters to add to your stealthy group of alpha legion sneakmans and have a detachment of iron warriors as your shootmans, etc.

I'm not liable to actually play that way, but that seems to be the jam now

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Bunch of folk were looking to split forgebane earlier and to keep the AdMech. Well I want the Necrons. Don’t all PM me at once :bigtran:

Edit: I’m in the UK

Edit 2: Aaaaand Sold.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 15, 2018

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Yeah, also looking for the Necron side of Forgebane, if any US goons want to sell.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

Still a little WIP (such a finding the lost tail fin) but at least it's finally in a shareable state. I've always thought that little turret thing on top of the Stormraven looks terrible and useless, and it was pretty easy to reposition the weapons to under the wing and magnetise them. Also comes with a closed hatch version in case I ever want to play against someone who hates fun.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Can someone please explain the Bloodletter Bomb to me in plain English, or link to a good guide on it? I bought 30 Bloodletters when 8th edition hit simply on the strength of the bonus for having more than 20 in a unit, and now that purchase seems to have paid off with the Codex.

Here is what I am tracking:

30 Bloodletters = 12 Power Level of BLs
- Pay 2 CP to set up 30 BLs (2 CP because it is more than 9 Power Level) in the Warp for Denizens of the Warp Stratagem
- Pay 1 CP for Banner of Blood Stratagem
- Deepstrike in more than 9" from enemy at the end of movement phase
- Declare charge against valid targets within 12". Assault 3D6" due to Banner of Blood, hopefully multi-charging multiple units and clearing them out, consolidate 3" towards next enemy.
- Optionally use the Frentic Bloodlust Stratagem for 3 CP to have the unit fight again if needed.
- So minimum of 3 CPs before game starts to get 30 BLs in the bomb.

Thanks!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

whiteshark12 posted:

Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

Still a little WIP (such a finding the lost tail fin) but at least it's finally in a shareable state. I've always thought that little turret thing on top of the Stormraven looks terrible and useless, and it was pretty easy to reposition the weapons to under the wing and magnetise them. Also comes with a closed hatch version in case I ever want to play against someone who hates fun.

That is 40k as gently caress.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Trying to figure out a way to get DKoK Combat Engineers a way to re-roll 1s (ideally without having to hand out a Bring It Down! to each unit). The only way I can think of is Yarrick, am I missing anything*?

*: note that I'd bow to Horus before I'd use Robbie G.

E: Although the FW one is an ok model and his base actually rises to the level of being p. deece.

I just realized I forgot that DKoK's can't issue the "Take Aim!" order so Yarrick is the only way to make Combat Engineers not combust on a 1.

:doh:

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Does anyone know a good source for a flaming sword aside from Bobby G? I'm trying to do something unique for a converted Mephiston since I haven't been able to find anything resembling his stock sword at all. The only things I've found so far have been a few Reaper minis and the old Empire wizards and I'd rather avoid metal if I can so I'm hoping somebody knows a kit or conversion bit my googling has been unable to find.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Also a U.S. Goon who wants the Necron half of Forgebane. Hit me up at screw you spambots!

E: email received

Technowolf fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 15, 2018

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

FromTheShire posted:

Does anyone know a good source for a flaming sword aside from Bobby G? I'm trying to do something unique for a converted Mephiston since I haven't been able to find anything resembling his stock sword at all. The only things I've found so far have been a few Reaper minis and the old Empire wizards and I'd rather avoid metal if I can so I'm hoping somebody knows a kit or conversion bit my googling has been unable to find.

The Empire Wizards plastic kit has a flaming sword bit in it.

I have a hard time saying an army is "done" because I invariably buy more stuff than my interest level will hold. My old Crimson Fists have one squad to paint and they're actually done, but I'll likely never get to it. My Iron Warriors just have Dark Vengeance models to go, but I'm not really enthused to paint a bunch of cultists. Right now I'm trying my damnedest to "finish" my Black Templars small Marines so I can move onto Primaris dudes, but there's enough Empire and Necromunda stuff inbetween to keep me distracted.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SRM posted:

The Empire Wizards plastic kit has a flaming sword bit in it.

I'm not certain but I think the flaming sword might only be in the "Collegiate Arcane Mystic Battle Wizards" set not the "Battlemage" set?

E: Unless the Collegiate Arcane Mystic Battle Wizards is literally two sets of the Battlemage sprues put into a bigger box? I'm not an AoS/WHFB guy so I don't know for sure. :shrug:

SRM posted:

I'm not really enthused to paint a bunch of cultists.

As good a place as any to ask: are the cultists sold now the same as the Dark Vengence ones? Also, is the fluff about one of them having been a Commissar before turning actual cannon?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 15, 2018

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Schadenboner posted:

I'm not certain but I think the flaming sword might only be in the "Collegiate Arcane Mystic Battle Wizards" set not the "Battlemage" set?

E: Unless the Collegiate Arcane Mystic Battle Wizards is literally two sets of the Battlemage sprues put into a bigger box? I'm not an AoS/WHFB guy so I don't know for sure. :shrug:

As good a place as any to ask: are the cultists sold now the same as the Dark Vengence ones? Also, is the fluff about one of them having been a Commissar before turning actual cannon?

Battle Wizards box is literally two Battlemage sets smooshed together and under the price of two boxes. You'll get 2 flaming swords.

Current Cultists are the same as the Dark Vengeance ones, however the only ones GW officially sells now are the sets of four cultists they used to sell as a pocket money box, only way to pick up the squad leaders and special weapons would be to track down the Dark Vengeance spruces.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

Current Cultists are the same as the Dark Vengeance ones, however the only ones GW officially sells now are the sets of four cultists they used to sell as a pocket money box, only way to pick up the squad leaders and special weapons would be to track down the Dark Vengeance spruces.

I'm using the House Escher box as more cultists as they can do either long-range (6 lasguns, 2 autoguns, plus a heavy weapon and shotgun for the leader) or pistol/CCW.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Can someone please explain the Bloodletter Bomb to me in plain English, or link to a good guide on it? I bought 30 Bloodletters when 8th edition hit simply on the strength of the bonus for having more than 20 in a unit, and now that purchase seems to have paid off with the Codex.

Here is what I am tracking:

30 Bloodletters = 12 Power Level of BLs
- Pay 2 CP to set up 30 BLs (2 CP because it is more than 9 Power Level) in the Warp for Denizens of the Warp Stratagem
- Pay 1 CP for Banner of Blood Stratagem
- Deepstrike in more than 9" from enemy at the end of movement phase
- Declare charge against valid targets within 12". Assault 3D6" due to Banner of Blood, hopefully multi-charging multiple units and clearing them out, consolidate 3" towards next enemy.
- Optionally use the Frentic Bloodlust Stratagem for 3 CP to have the unit fight again if needed.
- So minimum of 3 CPs before game starts to get 30 BLs in the bomb.

Thanks!

That's it. You should buy an instrument so you make the charge on an 8 and learn how to use pile ins and consoldates to lock up a unit you didn't charge so you can stay locked in combat.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

NOVA Open goons, should we create a group for the table top olympics? They may take issue with having to engrave 40k Fuckbois on the trophy though.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Also a U.S. Goon who wants the Necron half of Forgebane. Hit me up at Technowolf (dot) sdp (at) gmail (dot) com

Email sent

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

NOVA Open goons, should we create a group for the table top olympics? They may take issue with having to engrave 40k Fuckbois on the trophy though.

What's that?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Finished my custodes bike captains. I feel a bit hypocritical about having painted them given my criticism for GWs making them usable in every imperium army, but I do play enough more competitive games that I wanted to have them around. GW definitely punished me for it though, these took as long or longer than my astraeus to paint and don't feel like my best work. I was planning on doing a full army of solar watch custodes, but with how painful these were I think I'll stick to solid gold ones, the filigree takes forever. Bases are a big hunk of acrylic rod so I could easily magnetize them, once some resin bases show up to match my Fists I'll make a set of bases for that and can swap them over depending on what army I field them with. The included flight stands are just terrible, since you either have to glue them in or they fall off constantly.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Booley posted:

these took as long or longer than my astraeus to paint and don't feel like my best work. I was planning on doing a full army of solar watch custodes, but with how painful these were I think I'll stick to solid gold ones, the filigree takes forever. .

They're are absolutely loving gorgeous though!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

Finished my custodes bike captains. I feel a bit hypocritical about having painted them given my criticism for GWs making them usable in every imperium army, but I do play enough more competitive games that I wanted to have them around. GW definitely punished me for it though, these took as long or longer than my astraeus to paint and don't feel like my best work. I was planning on doing a full army of solar watch custodes, but with how painful these were I think I'll stick to solid gold ones, the filigree takes forever. Bases are a big hunk of acrylic rod so I could easily magnetize them, once some resin bases show up to match my Fists I'll make a set of bases for that and can swap them over depending on what army I field them with. The included flight stands are just terrible, since you either have to glue them in or they fall off constantly.

These are loving sweet but yeah that scheme looks exhausting.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

drat those look so good. Nice job man. Solar watch i was also drawn to initially, but it seems like a lot of work. I'll probably just paint Valoris in the white armor.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

FromTheShire posted:

Green stuff. Fire's pretty easy to make, and there's a ton of tutorials on youtube that can help.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

gently caress yes let's do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Booley posted:

You do such clean and amazing work. Very inspiring!