Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

Haha, get it guys? The actual joke here is that he has never been to an office in his life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
They figured it out!

https://mobile.twitter.com/PolitiFact/status/974405365239635968

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

redneck nazgul posted:

she's filing uncontested

They probably have a prenup and already hammered the agreement out in arbitration.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Meatball posted:

Do you have any articles or anything about this? I thought we've found lots of extrasolar planets but not many that could support life, ie. They have water but are huge, or just a giant ball of super hot water or something like that.

As for life out there, Neil degrasse-tyson believes there are because the molecules that make up life-carbon, oxygen, hydrogen- are really common.

What created us wasn't special, and can happen again if the conditions are right. Since there's literally billions of planets out there, the chances of it not happening again are less than it happening again.

To put in video game terms cause I am a horrible nerd: we got the right dice roll for our planet, and the universe is rolling new planets all the time, the same number must come up twice.

http://www.physics-astronomy.com/2017/07/astronomers-estimate-100-billion.html

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

enraged_camel posted:

Haha, get it guys? The actual joke here is that he has never been to an office in his life!

the office pool is where the men in the family sit around and ogle ivanka lounging in her bathing suit

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Too bad Lara Trump seems like a true believer. Also, is she Kellyanne Conway sent from the past to marry in the future?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

These guys earn their drat money wow.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Shifty Pony posted:

They probably have a prenup and already hammered the agreement out in arbitration.

We know that the Trump men are good at arbitration.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CubanMissile posted:

Too bad Lara Trump seems like a true believer. Also, is she Kellyanne Conway sent from the past to marry in the future?

she's had a lot more work done than kellyanne.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Conspiratiorist posted:

Actually, we have a pretty good idea that potentially habitable planets are super common.

Which just feeds speculation to what causes the Fermi Paradox.

My current opinion on the Fermi paradox (which is one of the most interesting and fun things to think about, IMO even though it usually predicts bad things for our future), is that "the great filter" is ahead of us so we're hosed, and that filter is simply that traveling FTL is just too damned difficult to pull off and/or not possible. Stuff like generation ships aside (which I believe are probably doomed to failure through technological malfunction and/or crew incompetence/insanity), I think there are potentially lots of civilizations like ours either in the past, currently, and in the future and they all die out when their star dies without ever really being able to leave or communicate with one another.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/974406049187934209?s=20

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CubanMissile posted:

She is a big true believer. She runs the weird rear end facebook news for Trump where she peddles conspiracies all day everyday.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

she should divorce him for his obvious crossfit lies. and deadlift form.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you realize that we have submarines with nuclear missiles that nobody knows where they are located. That them alone are enough to burn the whole world to the ground.

And also we have ICBMs that can be launched and carry nuclear warheads to anywhere in the world as well.

But sure we need more force projection.

Take a look at the globe. The Navy is the only important branch of the US military for national defense, and they need bases to stay at sea.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Inferior Third Season posted:

Whatever the probabilities are for life to develop around a star, given the sheer number of stars in the universe, the answer to how many civilzations can be expected will either be vanishingly close to zero or some very large number. Since we know it's more than zero, it is more logical to assume the actual number of civilzations is more than one than exactly one.

Dude, mind blown.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
This is good, now Don Jr will have more time to campaign for the midterms. Wrap it up Demofailures, the blue wave is dead.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The great filter is almost certainly multicellular life. Every other step has happened in an instant of geological time, going from single cells to multiple cells is the only thing that seems to have been even remotely hard. All the proposed great filters ahead of us are just stuff that removes elements that happened basically the first second they could have possibly happened (which indicates they were pretty likely to happen).

All the suggestions for great filter ahead of us are all just human specific or whiney. Global warming will kill all humans or whatever, but not in a great filter sort of way. Great filter doesn't just mean "kills one species". civilization seems to be the easiest thing in the world once you have sentients, sentients seemed to appear rapidly after brains, brains appeared quickly when nerves appeared, animals appeared quickly after plants, life started the first instant any place on earth could have life, multicellular life is the only step that seems to have not happened the precise first second it could have.Making it the only apparent "hard" or irreplaceable step.

This is not true. Multicellular life has evolved separately several times.

Maybe you're thinking of eukaryotic cells?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Wonder how many women right now are filing for divorce because their husbands went full blown MAGA on them.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

Ague Proof posted:

This is good, now Don Jr will have more time to campaign for the midterms. Wrap it up Demofailures, the blue wave is dead.

Divorcing wife to own the libs

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Remember the GOP house member from Maine that called one of the parkland survivors a skin head lesbian who was running unopposed from the left?

http://www.newscentermaine.com/mobile/article/news/politics/democrats-dont-let-controversial-republican-candidate-go-unchallenged/528847198

Run everywhere

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CubanMissile posted:

Wonder how many women right now are filing for divorce because their husbands went full blown MAGA on them.

Some probably can't because there's nothing out there for them and the lovely chud is what lets them keep their job/insurance.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

I think the real joke is, as being a Trump, actually paid his bet.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ague Proof posted:

This is good, now Don Jr will have more time to campaign for the midterms. Wrap it up Demofailures.

It's just setup for the premiere of "Who Wants to Marry the Fascist President's Idiot Son?" later this year. Vanessa wasn't testing well, and new romance is great for ratings.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Saladin Rising posted:

Hah, "might end up being"? That's just been reality for like the last 6 months at least.

I think you're conflating "insane" and "evil". Trump has had various people around him who were pretty rational but just horrible human beings. But now all the simply-evil ones are getting fired and replaced by lunatics.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KKKLIP ART posted:

Remember the GOP house member from Maine that called one of the parkland survivors a skin head lesbian who was running unopposed from the left?

http://www.newscentermaine.com/mobile/article/news/politics/democrats-dont-let-controversial-republican-candidate-go-unchallenged/528847198

Run everywhere

i'm going to laugh my rear end off if this motherfucker specifically goes down

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TwitchyTeam/status/974409775197892611?s=20

https://twitter.com/mike_Zollo/status/974411134508916737?s=20

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ague Proof posted:

Ah yes, Don Jr. needs to be on that campaign trail more to have an effect on the vote like he did with Saccione.
He will have such a great effect on MAGA that way! :unsmigghh:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Prester Jane posted:

We know that conditions enabled life to occur at least once in the universe, and the universe really is just that stupidly big that if something has happened at least once then it has almost certainly happened a whole fuckload more than once.

If there are three to four hundred million galaxies and they have ~200 million stars like ours and ~9 planets per star you end up with something like 1.0x10^22 planets or something (I’m remembering old math).

If one in a billion billion planets has life on it, that’s still thousands upon thousands.

Super assumptions abound, but the universe is too loving big for us to be special.

E: there are literally more planets than the number of seconds that have passed since the birth of the universe 13.4 billion years ago

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 15, 2018

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/974409685552988160

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Koalas March posted:

Okay but race was a factor here and for you to so callously throw it aside proves that you actually aren't worth engaging in.

I know said "read" but here is my black in America 101 primer:

Here is a list of essays by Coates: https://www.theatlantic.com/author/ta-nehisi-coates/

TV
Blackish
Atlanta
Dear White People

:siren: Relevant to the discussions in this thread as well :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA9QBZr8WEg

Books
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: https://www.chimamanda.com/book/americanah/
Malcom X: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Autobiography_of_Malcolm_X
Seize The Time
Assata: An Autobiography

Music
Solange - Seat At The Table
Kendrick Lamar - drat & The Black Panther Album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTtrnDbOQAU

If you have the time, you can also go through and read either the Goldmined Negrotown Thread or the new and active one.

For the record, the goldmined one is probably what you want. It includes me and a few other black posters who are long probated/banned talking about our personal experiences, and a lot more of us doing Q&A and dealing with yts who think that our space should be open and cater to them and their feelings.

This is from a few pages back but thanks for all of this. Luckily I already got started on a few of these, I love Atlanta and I really liked all of Kendrick Lamar's albums, especially drat. That dude has some real loving talent, and he's probably the most humble rapper I've ever heard interviewed for someone who literally stands head and shoulders above nearly everyone else in rap and hip-hop today, and hasn't seemed to let fame and success go to his head. He comes across like someone who listened to Pac and Biggie, respected their talent, loved their music, and then told himself "...but I ain't going out like that." Just seemed like a really grounded dude.

I need to listen to the Black Panther album though. And work my way down this list. Thanks again!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Oxxidation posted:

there's a chance it might actually be an underhanded way for Jr to shelter his assets by letting his wife take them in the divorce before Mueller and co. seize them

This, but also what if it turns out Jr slept with Stormy as well?

Like father like son. :barf:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Remember when Iphone security was A Thing

https://twitter.com/matt_odell/status/974384961603231744

Looks like the FBI overpaid.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

If he didn't want to have his dirty laundry out in the open, maybe he shouldn't have seeked that Russian help to make sure the public will look at him every living second of his life from now on.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

llllllloooooooooolllllllllllllll

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The thumbs say "hell yeah!" but the eyes say "kill me"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

a trump supporter demonstrating his two best qualifications in life, opposable thumbs

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LMAO

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/974402603521110016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Laughing at any and all Trump misfortune is a pretty good character trait, imo.

• Locked thread