Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
hmm yeah, i dont think explaining why its good is the right way to attack it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

The negative gearing one is the dumbest.

Firstly what kind of house is 20k negative? Presumably it's vacant or something.
Also I thought Labor were only eliminating refunds below zero? The guy on 80k would be paying tax

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

James took out a mortgage on a second house that now isn't available for an owner-occupier and is sad that the government won't subsidise that lifestyle choice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
29250 EXTRA TAX an increase of 9500

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
lmao can afford an investment property on 80k haha as if

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Policy that stops people making do nothing "investments" that leverage the public's money to draw an income or reduce their own responsibility to contribute owns and there should be more of it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

Policy that stops people making do nothing "investments" that leverage the public's money to draw an income or reduce their own responsibility to contribute owns and there should be more of it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Birdstrike posted:

Interest only yeah baby I’m :10bux:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Ughhh all of that is really confusing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I can't wait to vote for Labor in the next election.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
But it says here Labor is bad. Why do you hate Susan, Jane and James

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

bandaid.friend posted:

they only have one name, so gently caress 'em.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

Susan, Jane and James can blow me.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Greeks are white now?
See multiculturalism works!

The Dutton South Africa furore is loving hilarious. First they came for the actual NAZIs....

CASE STUDY - [REDACTED]

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Susan, Jane and James can blow me.
This delivers a $1,500 reduction in [REDACTED]'s monthly sex worker expenses which moves them into a higher tax bracket.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 16, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If I was Labor I'd make sure I had a good answer for Susan's case study because it's the one I can see generating actual sympathy.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The last one is so transparently misleading with the red text it's almost art.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Birdstrike posted:

Interest only mate, get your foot in the door.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If I was Labor I'd make sure I had a good answer for Susan's case study because it's the one I can see generating actual sympathy.
100,000/ (31,771 - 29,254) = 39.7. Susan can top up her TAX PAYER funded pension by using HER OWN loving MONEY for the next 39.7 years at which point she will be 109.7 years old. Yes this does require a slow draw down of her capital that is providing her ~ $3,500 PA. She doesn't have to do it all at once however and may actually make money on the sales too.

tl;dr *WAH* I'm sitting on a huge sack of money please won't someone give me a hand out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I know the substance of the answer is "just draw down on it", and I don't disagree with it (or the policy). That's not my point.

She's on 32k a year and the average super balance for 70 year old women is 110k. It's really easy to present her as an average battler being slugged with a tax hit despite doing everything right, especially when you do simple poo poo like mix up mean and median like I just did.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Vikki Campion travel records Freedom of Information request denied

A Freedom Of Information request for the travel expenses of Barnaby Joyce’s former staffer and current partner has been denied on the grounds it would undermined an independent investigation, and the “expectation and risk” of the information being “misinterpreted and misrepresented”.

More than four weeks ago, The Leader lodged an FOI request seeking Vikki Campion’s travel records for the first quarter of 2017, to investigate whether public funds were misused while she worked for Mr Joyce, who she is now in a relationship with.

In the response from the Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority – the body in charge of monitoring parliamentary travel expenses – branch manager Petra Gartmann wrote she was “of the view” that disclosing the documents would be “widely published” and would “generate public discussion, including on social media”.

Ms Gartmann said the benefit of informing public debate was outweighed by the documents’ potential to compromise the organisation’s audit.

“[Releasing the documents] could reasonably raise public expectations that this audit will lead to certain findings,” Ms Gartmann wrote.

“This then has the potential to lead to public and political pressure, undermine IPEA's independence and ultimately render the audit worthless if the findings fail to meet public expectations.

“Also, in order to afford audit subjects procedural fairness, any adverse findings and gaps in available information are required to be put to the audit subject before information is published.”

The Leader also sent an FOI request to Mr Joyce’s office, asking for his diary of event and meeting locations for the first three months of 2017.

However, his office is yet to respond.

http://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/story/5286956/access-to-vikki-campion-travel-records-denied-for-fear-of-misinterpretation/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/tonightly/status/973865068172427264

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

So, what I take from this are Labor are competent financial managers who will fix the budget deficit and remove the systematic deficiencies introduced under the Howard government. Also, they're finally found some competent political minds who have realised the decaying 'Howards Battlers' were never going to vote for them, so they make a good punching bag.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Konomex posted:

So, what I take from this are Labor are competent financial managers who will fix the budget deficit and remove the systematic deficiencies introduced under the Howard government. Also, they're finally found some competent political minds who have realised the decaying 'Howards Battlers' were never going to vote for them, so they make a good punching bag.

They’re probably expecting this year’s super flu to wipe out a ton of ‘em this year.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

They’re probably expecting this year’s super flu to wipe out a ton of ‘em this year.

inshallah

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I know the substance of the answer is "just draw down on it", and I don't disagree with it (or the policy). That's not my point.

She's on 32k a year and the average super balance for 70 year old women is 110k. It's really easy to present her as an average battler being slugged with a tax hit despite doing everything right, especially when you do simple poo poo like mix up mean and median like I just did.

Someone upthread suggested a low cash-back cap, of something like 2-3k, which would probably solve that problem? Maybe means test it too, so that from say 50k to 80k income that cash back drops to zero.

edit: and/or an asset test

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 16, 2018

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Just use some of the extra revenue to increase the pension (and other welfare payments while we’re at it).

This would reduce the headline amount ‘saved’ in the budget, but less well off recipients spending the cash (rather than reinvesting to get more franking refunds) could boost economic activity, increasing income tax and GST collected.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Coucho Marx posted:

Someone upthread suggested a low cash-back cap, of something like 2-3k, which would probably solve that problem? Maybe means test it too, so that from say 50k to 80k income that cash back drops to zero.

edit: and/or an asset test

I don't know why they don't just say "these people can invest in things that don't provide the credits, those yields are generally higher too". Leave the franking credits for the people with actual tax bills.

Although in reality the only way that the franking credits thing improves the long term budget is if the companies start paying unfranked dividends, the retirees dont move their investments or they are replaced by foreign investors.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Then just go with the tl;dr part. This is exactly what the ALP did.

The real problem is that these arrangements have only been exploited since they were introduced. They are now being sold as tailored financial management products and are accelerating the effect on the structural budget deficit. They have to stop. It isn't really a choice at this point. And a final reiteration:

When Susan sells the notional 3 or 4 grands worth of shares she is likely to make a significant capital gain. The whole "100K" invested boondoggle is a masterpiece in misleading. If I invested "100K" in a share portfolio that is providing me ~ 6% returns in dividends then it is 'worth' 106K at the end of the first year. This is only by standard accounting. Once you introduce the market side of things the shares that were worth 100K at the start of the year which have provided an EOFY dividend of 6K are probably 'worth' around 120K. You know how the ASX keeps going up?

So maybe a better response to 'Susan' is:

"Carping old rent seeker living on the public teat complains about the taste of her magic pudding." It really is that obviously egregious.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

quote:

A group of protesters has gathered outside Channel Seven's Sydney studio this morning where the show Sunrise is broadcast live to protest comments made by an all-white panel on the breakfast show earlier this week.

Particular offence was taken by many after one panellist with no experience in child welfare or Indigenous affairs claimed the First Stolen generations were justified because children were being abused by Indigenous parents and that we needed a second one.

A group of protesters yelled out shame and booed the studio through the large glass windows that expose the Sunrise set to the surrounding foot traffic of Martin Place in the Sydney CBD.

Speakers, who included members of the Stolen Generations, shared stories and others shouted "Leave the kids alone" or held up signs saying "Hands off our children".

Sunrise appeared to run images of previously shot video of Martin Place behind their presenters today and closed the studio's soundproof blinds in an attempt to hide the fact the protest was happening.

lmao

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

The great part about the proposed labor tax changes is that once they get the opportunity to implement them the next LNP government after them won't roll them back.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
This is it

The month flawed case studies finally convince the working poor to vote Liberal!

Fairfax posted:

There is no way Peter Eklund could be described as a blue-blooded toff who exploits a “loophole” in the tax system to rip off Australian battlers. But that is what Bill Shorten would have you believe about this man and others who will pay for Labor’s new $59 billion revenue grab.
Eklund trained as an electrician and worked at a coal mine until he was made redundant when he was 55. He took casual jobs for four years but found the options ran out around his home town of Rockhampton.

Now, at age 61, he is a self-funded retiree who has to live on his savings. He and his wife, after raising three children, rely on their bank deposits and shares to get by. Their incomes are less than $18,200 each, which means they are below the tax-free threshold.
This is not a picture of a couple of carefree retirees who splash their government cash on trips to a Pacific island. Yes, Eklund has about $110,000 in shares, mostly Telstra and NAB. Yes, the dividends are an important income. And, yes, they get a cash refund from the Australian Tax Office every year under the dividend imputation rules that have been in place for almost two decades.
The cash refund is worth about $2,500. There is no spare change for a holiday after Eklund pays for private health insurance, which he is probably going to have to cancel soon.
“I find it a little bit galling that the rhetoric is all about the rich,” he says. “I’m not poor but we live a modest lifestyle.”
A little bit galling? You can see that Eklund talks in understatements. He believes Labor’s policy is fine in principle but troubling in practice. And he is frustrated at the way he is being labelled by Shorten and other Labor politicians with their waffle and exaggeration.

To press the point: this man lives in a three-bedroom HardiePlank home and has no luxuries other than a tinny for getting out on the water. And he tends to vote Green.

Shorten has been blundering like an elephant around people like Eklund. To listen to the Opposition Leader, you would think the Labor policy only hurts the “lucky few” who are using an “unfair” loophole.

The trouble for Labor is that those who bear the burden of a tax change can and will be heard. Fairfax readers are writing in to make sure of it.

Consider the case of Ann, a retired nurse from regional NSW. She earns less than $18,200 and gets the standard tax exemption that is available to everyone on a low income. She has shares worth roughly $17,000 and receives about $700 a year in dividends – not exactly a bumper return.

The cash rebate on the franked dividends is small but it helps with the council rates. This is not a handout but a tax refund that has been a standard feature of tax law since 2000. Her message to Shorten: “Keep your hands off my money.”

There are serious problems with the Labor policy because those on lower incomes rely most on the cash refund that Labor wants to cancel. One financial adviser, Daniel Simmons, calculates that someone with $150,000 in shares and no other income except dividends would lose a cash refund worth $3,000 a year.

Simmons estimates that someone with the same shares, but an additional property portfolio in two super funds worth $3.2 million, would get a deduction from the franking credits on the shares but see no change to his or her final tax position. In other words, wealthier retirees may not have to worry one bit.

All these cases are very different. That is exactly the point. Labor cannot be sure what trouble it has unleashed on ordinary retirees.

Consider the example of a couple who sell their house to move to a retirement village, giving them leftover cash for investments that can supplement the pension. Remember, politicians from both sides have been praising this sort of “downsizing” as a way to help with the housing shortage.

With a $300,000 share portfolio, this couple qualifies for a cash refund of about $2,500. Yet their income is modest and now Labor takes some of it away. They feel punished by Shorten for moving.

It is easy to dismiss real people when dealing with tax policy in abstract. This happens every minute on Twitter, where Labor barackers love the idea of this new policy. “Hit the rich – they don’t vote Labor anyway,” is the theme.

Talk to the actual people who stand to lose and things look very different.

Labor took days to confirm some of the real impact of its policy despite long preparation for its announcement. Only on Tuesday night did it concede it would hit 200,000 people who get a partial Age Pension. Only on Wednesday did it admit it would hit 400,000 self-funded retirees as well.

On Tuesday night, Labor treasury spokesman Chris Bowen dodged questions on ABC TV about the average income of those who will lose cash refunds. Why are these questions too hard?

This is a courageous policy in some ways, a sign that Shorten and Bowen are preparing to run a government that makes hard decisions. It is up to them to explain who will bear the brunt of the changes. They will rightly be under pressure to find ways to spare those who can least afford this new pain.

Labor partisans might wave away questions about who these people are and how “rich” they might be, but nobody else should.

David Crowe is chief political correspondent.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
As time goes on, I admit my well of sympathy for baby boomers is starting to run dry.

These days, it'd be hard to comprehend that there's a significant chunk of people who grew up during a time of consistent wage growth, reasonable housing market and considerable prosperity who apparently didn't consider that they can't work forever and maybe should save so they don't have to rely on the pension, until you realise... They're boomers. They're used to being The Biggest Cohort of Voters and politicians will bend to their wills because the might of their numbers makes them right.

Ironically, boomers sneer at entitled attitudes from all the younger generations, yet their generation has been spoilt with political favour for decades.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The truth is that when you have basically unlimited social influence for decades on end then you are going to shape society to support your lifestyle.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i wonder why there aren’t any articles about young jobseekers featuring emotional quotes demanding government keeps its hands off when welfare payments are cut.

oh well, i’m only the chief political correspondent, i have no understanding of literally anything on this planet.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 16, 2018

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its cool and good that people are saying 'gently caress u shorten get your hands off MY money' when it actually is not their money, because they pay no loving tax.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

BBJoey posted:

is it weird to think that if you don’t pay any tax you shouldn’t get any tax returns? because like i feel that’s a fairly reasonable starting point for tax reform

no you see, these people have WORKED HARD all their lives to contribute to the economy and they've ALREADY PAID THEIR FAIR SHARE of taxes because taxes are like a bank account that you cash in at retirement yeah?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Ugh, don't remind me. My immune system got totally wiped out and I can't get immunizations until June or something. Time to just full-on hermit it up.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The Before Times posted:

no you see, these people have WORKED HARD all their lives to contribute to the economy and they've ALREADY PAID THEIR FAIR SHARE of taxes because taxes are like a bank account that you cash in at retirement yeah?

the government should give me everything!

i shouldn't have to pay taxes!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

GoldStandardConure posted:

the government should give me everything!

i shouldn't have to pay taxes!

BLACK PEOPLE ARE WELFARE QUEEN LEANERS!!

THE DOLE!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I've been trying to put this to bed but if you are going to go after the ALP perhaps you should remember this:

quote:

On 1 July 2012, the tax-free threshold was raised from $6000 to $18200.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/tripling-tax-free-threshold

Now before the ALP did that, even 'modest' 100K share portfolios would result in a taxable income. Which of the shiny giveaways do you want boomer poo poo smears?

• Locked thread