Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Ice T is debuting a new true crime documentary series on oxygen April first. If he doesn't investigate some of his SVU memes it'll be a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rocksicles posted:

Chinese actors would run a mile from being in a show about the chinese government. They do not gently caress around.

Seditious people prison - 20 years.

There are probably a few thousand Chinese American actors around champing at the bit for a job

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How is Timeless? I watched the first couple episodes of Travelers and thought it was fine for Canadian scifi, might return to it sometime.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

How is Timeless? I watched the first couple episodes of Travelers and thought it was fine for Canadian scifi, might return to it sometime.

Solid show. No drawbacks.

Strong costume game.

Travellers really get's it's batting average up once the actual story comes to life, the second season is pretty epic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Reuters claims to have gotten a hold of Amazon's internal video analysis numbers.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/15/leaked-amazon-prime-ratings-document-report/

8 million people watched "The Man in the High Castle" which is right up there with"The Walking Dead" in viewers. Furthermore, they say the show drove the addition of 1.15 million prime subs (they view the first Prime show you watch as the reason you signed up.)

By that metric, they say that "The Grand Tour" drove 1.5 million subs.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
TMitHC is a great show that deserves TWD-level viewership numbers, so that’s heartening news.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

less laughter posted:

TMitHC is a great show that deserves TWD-level viewership numbers, so that’s heartening news.

I agree. Though you'd think they'd announce the third season air date by now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently there's a Cagney and Lacey reboot in the offing.

Honestly, at this point the most amusing thing to do would be to get all the 80s police procedurals etc. back and put them all in the same show as a kind of anthology.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Rocksicles posted:

Travellers really get's it's batting average up once the actual story comes to life, the second season is pretty epic.

Is it though? I watched S02E01 and checked out. Didn't grab me like the first season. How long does it take to get back up to speed or am I just not the audience?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's interesting I though the first episode of s2 was loving awesome

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

zoux posted:

That's interesting I though the first episode of s2 was loving awesome

Yeah I thought it started off as strong as ever

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All of season 2 is pretty great.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Maybe I was having an off day. I'll rewatch it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of my favorite scenes from this season was when the programmer lady thought she was going to be overwritten but the Director just wanted to thank her by using the bodies of terminally ill people about to die. They do some very interesting things in the show considering how well trod the time travel scifi show/movie/book landscape is.

Of course the thread, like any thread about Terminator or BttF is 100% about time travel plot holes. All time travel is inherently paradoxical so if you want to watch a time travel show you just have to accept that time travel works however they say it does in the show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

less laughter posted:

Yup, it really is.

Here's the funny thing though. You have a show that's putting up comperable viewing numbers as TWD, but you hear nothing about it. That's an interesting phenomenon. No water cooler talk, no Facebook buzz, nothing. Maybe it has to do with the sheer number of episodes out there rather than the number of eyeballs on the show itself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Advertising shows about Nazis can be tricky

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bull3964 posted:

Yup, it really is.

Here's the funny thing though. You have a show that's putting up comperable viewing numbers as TWD, but you hear nothing about it. That's an interesting phenomenon. No water cooler talk, no Facebook buzz, nothing. Maybe it has to do with the sheer number of episodes out there rather than the number of eyeballs on the show itself.

I think TWD is a lot better suited to water cooler talk than Depressing Nazi AU Show.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
TWD is more depressing than TMitHC.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The lying fake MSM probably view online streaming views of shows the same way as Spotify. Streaming views count as pennies on the dollar especially since there are no ads.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Josh Lyman posted:

I like Timeless, though I'm a bit partial to time travel shows. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't follow through on what I thought was the show's mission statement (pilot) they make a pretty drastic change to history in the first episode,
and I thought future eps would continue that trend, but nah
. With what it's doing now, though, I think they've figured out they're at their best when they're being a less zany Legends of Tomorrow and doing silly plots like teaming up with Harry Houdini to defeat HH Holmes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

less laughter posted:

TWD is more depressing than TMitHC.

Only because I already knew tons of people watched it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

The lying fake MSM probably view online streaming views of shows the same way as Spotify. Streaming views count as pennies on the dollar especially since there are no ads.

It's a little more complicated than that if the company running the platform is also one of the primary financiers; if Amazon Prime gets 10k new subscribers off a show, that's a million extra per year in revenue, essentially, and 10k is small change compared to the numbers these shows are pulling.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's a little more complicated than that if the company running the platform is also one of the primary financiers; if Amazon Prime gets 10k new subscribers off a show, that's a million extra per year in revenue, essentially, and 10k is small change compared to the numbers these shows are pulling.

Its even more complicated when you throw in that video streaming is just a very very small part of Amazon Prime.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Timeless is the kind of time travel show that has exchanges like this at least once per episode:

quote:

Bartender: What can I get ya?

Time traveler character: I’ll have a beer.

Bartender: You got it! We just got in the latest brew from George Pabst. It won the blue ribbon!!

The Show’s Writers, sitting on my shoulder: GET IT? GET IT? 😉😉😉😉

Having said that......that kind of show is extremely my poo poo so I’m happy it’s coming back.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Timeless is the kind of time travel show that has exchanges like this at least once per episode:

Having said that......that kind of show is extremely my poo poo so I’m happy it’s coming back.

"Chuck! Chuck, it's Marvin! Your cousin, Marvin Berry. You know that new sound you're looking for? Well listen to this!"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Amazon Prime and Netflix are 45 year old business models, just backed by modern technology. When you distill it down, it's simply the premium cable channel model.

There are some nuances that complicate the calculus a little bit. Prime has other perks that cost Amazon money, but those also drive subscribers as well. They are spending money on streaming infrastructure, but improvements in that infrastructure also improve AWS which increases the value of that platform, driving AWS subs.

As ad revenue declines across the board, ad-free premium subscription models are poised to clean up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah, whenever I get worried about references in shows set out of modern day this is exactly what I worry about. Absolutely grating, I’m glad that Timeless has never interested me in the slightest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everyone's going nuts over the last season of Channel Zero, so what's the ad load like on Syfy's streaming site

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

Every single time I hear this kind of poo poo in a TV show or movie I just think "Never mind that poo poo, here comes Mongo!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Everyone's going nuts over the last season of Channel Zero, so what's the ad load like on Syfy's streaming site

Butcher's Block? I was not a fan. I thought that if you looked at each piece individually it was interesting but it really didn't work when actually put together.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 2 of channel zero is great, 1 and 3 are merely decent

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

zoux posted:

Through Syfy's Roku app, I've only been getting one or two 15 second ads on the normal breaks. Most of the time, they are just bumpers for Syfy itself or advertising their own shows.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Man in the High Castle is a weird show where the main characters range from "eh" to the worst part of the show, but the side characters are excellent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

The Man in the High Castle is a weird show where the main characters range from "eh" to the worst part of the show, but the side characters are excellent.

Yeah it's incredibly uneven, at times it's one of the best shows I've seen and at other times, often within the same episode, it's kinda terrible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

OldSenileGuy posted:

It also every episode has this -

Person - You should go to X or do Y, it's great!
Timeless Person - Oh I know I read about it as a kid!
Person - Huh? It just opened last week?
Timeless Person - Oh err uhh I mean I read about it WITH my kid...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Man in the High Castle is too dour and uninteresting.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

MiddleOne posted:

Man in the High Castle is too dour and uninteresting.

Season 2 was excellent and way better than Season 1. I was hoping S3 would have an airing date by now.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bruceski posted:

"Chuck! Chuck, it's Marvin! Your cousin, Marvin Berry. You know that new sound you're looking for? Well listen to this!"

Future man did the best version of this joke ever

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

theflyingexecutive posted:

Future man did the best version of this pretty much every time travel joke ever

Fixed it for ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug