Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Uh. I mean, uh, it’s easily one of the greatest games ever made. What isn’t compelling about it? It’s wonderfully written, has about the best open world in a game ever. Two beautiful expansions and a dev who you can always tell deeply respected both their fans and the material.

An unlikeable jerk of a protagonist and a world I feel no compelling desire to save would be other reasons I have no desire to play Witcher 3. I've seen enough of it on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Cythereal posted:

An unlikeable jerk of a protagonist and a world I feel no compelling desire to save would be other reasons I have no desire to play Witcher 3. I've seen enough of it on youtube.

Geralt's really nice, just a bit eastern european (that sort of...bluntness). You're absolutely missing out on the best RPG ever made by not playing Witcher 3.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cythereal posted:

I would 100 percent give it a shot. Geralt is only a jerk if you want him to be and you're saving individuals more than a world

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Something I can't name about the Witcher games strikes me as like... alienatingly from a hetero male POV, and not just because the protagonist is one. That, my desire to create and play my own character, and Geralt being painfully boring to me have prevented me from getting into it, even though so many people say 3 is one of the best games of all time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Stroop There It Is posted:

Something I can't name about the Witcher games strikes me as like... alienatingly from a hetero male POV, and not just because the protagonist is one. That, my desire to create and play my own character, and Geralt being painfully boring to me have prevented me from getting into it, even though so many people say 3 is one of the best games of all time.

Honestly the books are that way too. Like even Philippa Eilhart's sexual relationship with a lady whose name I'm not sure was ever even stated was very clearly done from a male POV. Just about as awkward as "this is a straight man talking about women having sex with each other" can get.

The third game is really good not so much because of Geralt but because of the little stories that you can just find, and the major plot all being about someone else. They're all just about other people. It also does a really good job of making your decisions matter in ways that you maybe didn't see coming at first but definitely make sense in hindsight.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

I get that and thought I wouldn't like it 'cause I'm all about making my own character but it really is that good. every quest has something cool going on, they take all kinds of weird contingencies into account, the cities and towns feel alive. it's just the bee's knees

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's more about saving your (adopted, kind of, it's complicated) daughter than saving the world. It just so happens that the thing that's hunting your daughter could also end the world if they catch her. You also get to play as her periodically and frankly her powers make Geralt look like a weak-rear end chump once they get rolling, if that's at all interesting or redeeming.

And yes, there's also a good amount of banging hot sorceresses (and prostitutes (and one surprisingly graphic scene with a nurse)) I can't defend that too much but all the horny stuff is fully optional, at least; you can just roll your eyes and pick no and get back to monster-killing.

But yeah, I suppose I'd be forced to describe the sexy bits as "alienatingly from a male hetero POV", ultimately, that is fair to say.

However, I do think that "An unlikeable jerk of a protagonist and a world I feel no compelling desire to save" is an odd pair of reasons to avoid the game; I'd argue that Geralt's jerkiness comes largely from having been living in the lovely world too long to have any interest in saving it, so that could actually be quite relatable, in a way

It is a real gem of a game and I think you're missing out by skipping it for those reasons but ultimately I ain't gonna tell you what to do, it's just video games, nothing matters

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

However, I do think that "An unlikeable jerk of a protagonist and a world I feel no compelling desire to save" is an odd pair of reasons to avoid the game; I'd argue that Geralt's jerkiness comes largely from having been living in the lovely world too long to have any interest in saving it, so that could actually be quite relatable, in a way

Also the whole training process for young witchers is extremely terrible and I think would be the thing that does the real damage to their emotions, not the mutations. Like it's a really, really bad world and witchers get one of the shortest sticks out there.

e: But to reiterate, it really is a fair criticism you have there. It's a rare case where being super faithful to the source material is a something of a weakness.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 16, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

So you're telling me... I should play this game because I don't like the world and the protagonist doesn't, either?

No. If I want to play a sarcastic rear end in a top hat saving a few people she cares about in a shithole of a world, I already own all three games in the Dragon Age series.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Witcher 3 is a pretty okay game but holy crap people need to lay off the "it's objectively the best RPG of all time" hype. Absolutely everything is subjective and it's OK To Not Like A Video Game.

I mean look at something like Life is Strange or Night in the Woods. I think those games are great, but I am also capable of recognizing that the tone of the writing is not to everyone's taste. I get tired of this attitude that TW3's writing is objectively good, when there really is no such thing as "objectively good writing" because not everyone is a fan of every subject matter. Crash is extremely well-written but it's totally comprehensible that some people would think it's garbage.

Gameplay wise? There is definitely nothing great about TW3's combat, in fact it's quite bad. There are lots of games with large, well-done worlds out there now so it's pretty misleading to tell someone that even if they don't like the story they should play it. If anything, the opposite is true - only play TW3 if you dig on the setting and story because the gameplay is even more mediocre than DA:I.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

precision posted:

The Witcher 3 is a pretty okay game but holy crap people need to lay off the "it's objectively the best RPG of all time" hype. Absolutely everything is subjective and it's OK To Not Like A Video Game.

For sure, and I'm not personally offended or anything. I just found the game very engaging and compelling in a way that doesn't really unfold until you start to play it, so if I see someone saying "I will never play that game" I feel like I ought to say "consider giving it a shot, it is actually good"

But it's A-OK if they don't! I don't get royalties or anything, it does not matter, I just like recommending things I like

I will say that there's an extra hurdle now, because after years and years of people gushing about how it's the best RPG ever made, it's pretty impossible to be pleasantly surprised by it, and you're more likely to be disappointed if it doesn't live up to the hype

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
the best way to make sure Witcher 3 lives up to the hype is to play it IMMEDIATELY after a hundred-percent completion run on Mass Effect: Andromeda

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ainsley McTree posted:

I will say that there's an extra hurdle now, because after years and years of people gushing about how it's the best RPG ever made, it's pretty impossible to be pleasantly surprised by it, and you're more likely to be disappointed if it doesn't live up to the hype

Oh for sure, when I finally got around to playing it I bounced off hard because the prologue area is not at all a good indicator of the rest of the game's quality, and it can last a very long time if you don't know you can just skip the entire zone if you're not feeling it.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

I have always had those same problems with Witcher games, and although TW3 definitely improved over the earlier games I still don't think it would do terribly well on the Bechdel test, for example.

Nevertheless TW3 did win me over once I gave it a fair shot. There are other characters you can like, and the story telling and dialogue is just so much better than other games. I don't care about the world half as much as Dragon Age, but I am glad I met Keira and Philippa and Emhyr, for example.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Back on topic, I forgot just how drat pretty Inquisition is. Even the Hinterlands, as boring as the zone is, looks good and is actually designed in a really natural and cool way. It feels very much like a "real place", and I'd say 3/4 of the zones accomplish that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also yeah Witcher 3 has a not great start. The Crones of Crookback Bog section was the first bit that floored me and that can be like 20-30 hours in if you gently caress around a whole lot

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Also yeah Witcher 3 has a not great start. The Crones of Crookback Bog section was the first bit that floored me and that can be like 20-30 hours in if you gently caress around a whole lot

Bloody Baron is where I first got my huge "oh wow this is quite exceptional" vibes and yeah it can take equally long to get there but I do think the side poo poo you can gently caress around with in Velen is also quite nice. I guess I'll concede that the prologue doesn't quite sell the game as hard as it could though.

Anyway I'm gonna try to shut up about the witcher now, sorry, I think that derail was my fault

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Bloody Baron is where I first got my huge "oh wow this is quite exceptional" vibes and yeah it can take equally long to get there but I do think the side poo poo you can gently caress around with in Velen is also quite nice. I guess I'll concede that the prologue doesn't quite sell the game as hard as it could though.

Anyway I'm gonna try to shut up about the witcher now, sorry, I think that derail was my fault

I loved the first two but yea, Bloody Baron is where I finally sat up and paid attention.
To miss out on it because of preconceptions that aren't correct is sad. It's 100% from a hetero male view though and I can see how that'd be alienating.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thirded, Bloody Baron is where the game finally clicked for me.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

precision posted:

Back on topic, I forgot just how drat pretty Inquisition is. Even the Hinterlands, as boring as the zone is, looks good and is actually designed in a really natural and cool way. It feels very much like a "real place", and I'd say 3/4 of the zones accomplish that.

I always end up watching the ocean at The Storm Coast for an unreasonably long time.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I remember Dead Ram Grove in the Hinterlands being really pretty, so much so that I was like "huh, this is a good spot for like a vacation home"

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The Emerald Graves are my favorite. Love all the big trees and that weird ghost house.

Exalted Plains was by far the worst.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cythereal posted:

What worlds do you feel compelled to save? Also Geralt is nice as gently caress.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What worlds do you feel compelled to save?

Not Witcher's, that's for sure. Or most depictions of Thedas.

That was my single greatest problem with Inquisition: I simply did not want to save Orlais or Ferelden. I've played it, usually rationalizing that my character wants to save a place or group that will be saved by saving Orlais and Ferelden, but I sure as hell don't care about either place in themselves and resent the story forcing that upon my character.

As far as I'm concerned, Solas would have to try really goddamn hard to make the world a worse place than it currently is. I'm inclined to let him win.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was legitimately curious as to what you meant by that. Like an example of a world that you felt compelled to save.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I can't for the life of me figure out what the secret is to the mapped Hinterlands waterfall near the small bridge. I've come at it from below, from the upper path, from behind the mountain, nothing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Nevermind, deleted. This conversation can't go anywhere. I don't need to be told what games I should or should not be enjoying and it contributes nothing to this thread.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 16, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Sorry if I contributed to that. I was just intrigued by how you worded what you said. I read and liked your answer about Mass Effect, for what it's worth.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

snoremac posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out what the secret is to the mapped Hinterlands waterfall near the small bridge. I've come at it from below, from the upper path, from behind the mountain, nothing.

It's possible you are looking at the wrong waterfall? You should come to it from the path below, following the river on the left bank past the Templar camp.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

Edit: Nevermind, deleted. This conversation can't go anywhere. I don't need to be told what games I should or should not be enjoying and it contributes nothing to this thread.

I'm sorry that I didn't get to read it, I'm curious about what worlds you liked as well. Because I played the Witcher 1, and I liked neither it's world nor Geralt. And the gameplay was poo poo. So I hear all about how great TW3 is, but I just don't care about it.

I like the setting of Thedas a lot, but Corypheus wasn't a strong villain. I liked having adventures with Cassandra, Solas, Varric, IB, Dorian or Vivienne, but saving the world from Cory was not super compelling. Solas on the other hand is a great antagonist so far, I'm really pumped for DA4. (I will never buy another EA game if they ruin DA! :argh:)

For another example, I liked the world of Tyranny a lot. It's not so much saving the world in that game, but being a fatebinder and executing Kyros' will was fun. And so was fighzing against their wishes. On the other hand, I wasn't really impressed with Pillars of Eternity. Thaos is boring, and I don't know if the Dyrwood really deserves saving. So I gave up halfway through. I gave it another chance when the expansions came out, and the game can be compelling at times. Plus your companions are generally pretty good (except for Durance and Grieving Mother). So I'm actually looking forward to PoE 2.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Not Witcher's, that's for sure. Or most depictions of Thedas.

That was my single greatest problem with Inquisition: I simply did not want to save Orlais or Ferelden. I've played it, usually rationalizing that my character wants to save a place or group that will be saved by saving Orlais and Ferelden, but I sure as hell don't care about either place in themselves and resent the story forcing that upon my character.

As far as I'm concerned, Solas would have to try really goddamn hard to make the world a worse place than it currently is. I'm inclined to let him win.

The problem is you are approaching the Witcher from "Saving the world angle".This was never done in any Witcher games. You never save the world. In one you spend 80% of the game investigating a criminal organization that attacked your hideout and stole the Witcher Mutagens ( Your investigation can go wrong and you can end up blaming the wrong people on one of the best C&C choices ever made in any rpg ( Even better than Witcher 3)). In two, you get framed for the assassination of a monarch you are supposed to (unwillingly) protect and spend the entire game on a wild goose chase after the true assassin and clearing your name, afterwards you discover it was a plot by a very powerful empire to weaken the smaller kingdoms so they can finally invade (nothing about saving the world) . In three, you witness the aftermath of the invasion and go after your adopted daughter sensing that she is being chased by phantom riders cascading in the sky (The Wild Hunt) and spend your time investigating leads on where your daughter has been and the mystery of the wild Hunt, again nothing about saving the world. It so happens that your daughter is the chosen one, not you, according to an ancient prophecy. You never battle ancient beings hellbent on destroying the world, because that type of caricature does not exist in the Witcher. There is no being that goes like "HaHa am mad and I will burn the world with demons or whatever". those kind of archetypes do not exist in the series.

Along the way in all those adventures, your effect is mostly profound on small, personal stories. Like lifting a curse from a tower infested by rats, protecting a woman accused of witchcraft from being lynched by an angry mob, participating in a play, attending wedding while being possessed by a dead man etc. I think the Characters in the Witcher 3 have more range are more believable to me than most characters in the dragon age series.

The thing that is unique to the Witcher series is that it puts emphasis on Geralt being a lone actor in large world, he is not a monarch or a leader of men or the head of an organization. He is a member of a dying guild whose trade is to hunt monsters on the outskirts of human settlements and the need for his guild is extremely diminishing due to the rise of professional armies and the advance of technology.

Savy Saracen salad fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 16, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Bioware Thread: Drama Queen Edition

precision posted:

It's too bad there's no day/night cycles in DAI because I'd love to do some daytime exploration in Hissing Wastes. At least it would keep me there longer - instead, it's another zone that's too large for its own good and there's not even anything plot related here. The first time I tried to do some sidequests and find the collectathon doodads but at some point I just hosed off and on replays I'll never even go there in the first place.

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 16, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Reminder folks that this is the Dragon Age thread, not the Witcher 3.

On topic, I still wish there was a simpler mod than that Winter Forge mod for Origins to make Asala slightly better in the later game for Sten.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I didn’t know “Sten” was a Qunari rank and initially thought it bold of DA2’s developers to make him a non-descript soldier you kill in a random fight.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Savy Saracen salad posted:

I think the Characters in the Witcher 3 has more range are more believable to me than most characters in the dragon age series.

The thing that is unique to the Witcher series is that it puts emphasis on Geralt being a lone actor in large world

Strongly agree with all this except the suggestion that being a lone actor in a large world is unique or even rare in games. On the contrary, what I like about Dragon Age games (and to a lesser extent Mass Effect) is that you feel less alone than in any other games I've played. I wish Bioware would learn from TW3's characterization and get some different dialogue writers (no one involved in Andromeda should ever write dialogue again), but their focus on companions was the great strength of both series.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I honestly forgot the Hissing Wastes existed after unlocking it and completed the game without ever going there. It was on my second playthrough when I was looking at the wiki for schematics I missed (I wanted the Templar armor) and found out it was there at a shop. Thankfully you can save/load schematics whenever so I was able to pop into my old save and just buy the schematic and upload it to my gold nurgle or whatever it's called.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
The Witcher 2 is the only game worth bothering with if you're not very interested in the series. I'm too lazy to justify why I think this however.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

snoremac posted:

I didn’t know “Sten” was a Qunari rank and initially thought it bold of DA2’s developers to make him a non-descript soldier you kill in a random fight.

My gf had the same reaction lol. Interestingly, they do do this to morinth in ME3 if she survives 2

And one last witcher thing and I’ll shut up for real I promise; most agree that TW1 was pretty mediocre and not reflective of how good 3 is at all so don’t let that turn you off

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The first Witcher might legitimately be one of the worst games I've ever played. The change in quality from TW1 -> TW3 is like several orders of magnitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I personally like both dragon age and witcher 2/3/universe. they fill different niches for me. dragon age fills my high dark fantasy niche and witcher fills my low dark fantasy/got type niche. i like the lore in dragon age a bunch but i like the witchers characters more even though i like a bunch of DA characters too.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 16, 2018