Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Joyce :byewhore:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He rage quit politics.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Something tells me it was one of those "you're fired!" "You can't fire me I quit!" situations

It's a bit scary though, national seems to be doing in weeks what it took Labour 7 years to do, which is push out the oldies who are strongly associated with the previous regime

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Politics for Nats is just a stepping stone to cushy board positions.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah if the party needs to move someone on they can arrange a nice cushy board position. Labour doesn’t have so many options like that for moving MPs on.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Varkk posted:

Yeah if the party needs to move someone on they can arrange a nice cushy board position. Labour doesn’t have so many options like that for moving MPs on.

Quiet retirement or local body politics, it seems.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's more a case of Labour shouldn't have taken two election cycles to cut the dead wood. On the other hand, they probably got a lot of knowledge transfer from having the oldies hanging around for so long.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

exmarx posted:

lol eat poo poo gareth

Also interesting:

Heh. $53.61.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Fairly odd Public/Private funding ratio for the Greens, though.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got to love TOP tried very hard to buy their way into government. ACT really tops TOP with $53 a vote. Both are comedy gold.

bike tory posted:

drat Labour did a good job fundraising this time

This was the first time I have ever given money for politics. Over at least 2 phone polls(LOL land line in the house) I picked Jacinda for PM and when she got the pick for leader I was YYEEESSS, enough for me to put money where my mouth is.

There was one stand out facebook post before the election where she asked people to stop breaking into her car and others in her street. She seemed almost disappointed that there was nothing of value in her car to steal. That pleeeeease is just great.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11878279

quote:

Second time in a fortnight for me and a bunch of people down my street. Thought I'd let folk know that it's happening down around Pt Chev (and for the record, I only keep re-useable supermarket bags and door knocking clipboards in my car, so pleeeeease stop smashing it!)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm doing music for an improv show with the actually super nice Geoff Simmons from TOP until Saturday, come along if you're free and have the notion: https://fringe.co.nz/programme/event?whos-running-the-show-anyway/e660818a-555f-4317-829f-5f4771a10988/

It's in the old nzpost shop in Reading Cinema.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Christ, young Jeremy Corbet looks just like a dude I went to school with. Like scarily so

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Is that radio Hauraki in the pirate days or something?]

E: Energy FM - an old nz station?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
It's from this article http://pantograph-punch.com/post/steven-joyce-radio-empire

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Someone please flip this so we can have a NZ version of the distracted boyfriend meme

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Ay carumba

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

truther fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 9, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

nice

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought you empty quoted.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I was just chatting with someone last about what ever happened to Scribe, and then this popped up in the news today:

quote:

The 38-year-old musician – real name Malo Ioane Luafutu – was about to leave Christchurch for a drug rehab course the next day in Wellington in April 2017 when he was arrested for meth possession.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/102290837/Scribe-s-meth-possession-charge-proved

Seems particularly lovely arresting someone for possession the day before they head to rehab. What were the cops hoping to achieve by pressing that charge? Would they rather send him to jail then rehab? At least the judge seems to have had some sense.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
38? poo poo, when did he flash in the pan again?

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

don't do meth :(

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

38? poo poo, when did he flash in the pan again?

Scribe 2001, his story just begun. Though he made a living in NZ music for a while, so that's more than a flash in the pan IMO. I really do hope he kicks the habit.

p.s thanks for linking the article exmarx, it was an v. interesting read

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

is NZ even a pan though

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

like paying the rent on a flat in new brighton for a few months isn't exactly a claim to fame

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Wafflecopper posted:

like paying the rent on a flat in new brighton for a few months isn't exactly a claim to fame

I appreciate the New Brighton burn. I think Scribe was more of a Phillipstown (or as I've heard it, Phillytown) guy though?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thread title on point lol

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Supposedly he used to hang around the Linwood KFC hitting up the customers for free food. Saying “Do you know who I am?”

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
A favourite saying of his. Saw it once when he got kicked out of old Fu Bar for being drunk as poo poo, abusing the bar staff and the DJ. Bouncers kicked him out, so he dropped the "don't you know who I am?" line.

"Yeah mate, we know exactly who you are, now gently caress right off!" to a round of applause and cheers from the gathered crowd of smokers.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

And the latest lefty liberal to come out defending labour after the youth camp sexual assaults is...David Farrar apparently whenever you mix young(well even old)people and alcohol things tend to happen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This kind of stuff is why leftism (relative to the mean) is always doomed to lose support eventually imo.

When a left wing political entity fucks up, other lefties are happy to dispense criticism against their own because lefties tend to believe in things like truth and justice and learning from mistakes and keeping people accountable.

When the right fucks up, everyone closes ranks and defends the scum until the media forget about it.

Thus over long term the negative stuff accumulates and eventually they lose popular support because they're facing an opponent who values PR over reality.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Varkk posted:

Supposedly he used to hang around the Linwood KFC hitting up the customers for free food. Saying “Do you know who I am?”

Oh man, Linwood KFC. Thats a rough spot, for Te Waipounamu anyway.

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

Re Farrars trying to whatabout Russell McVeagh with the Labour stuff which is bad also - makes me remember when I interviewed with Russell McVeagh in like 2010. Seems like a world away now, my health problems were only beginning, but even then I had problems with the pretty intense jockish culture and wasn't a good fit then

Murrah fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 16, 2018

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

He also pointed out that young Nats have had boozy parties etc. I think some in this thread had said he was a constant fixture hiding in dark corners, watching leerily. He probably knows there are many potential similar stories about those events waiting to be found.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
there's a line in dirty politics about farrar creeping on young nat women

e: not quite

exmarx fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 16, 2018

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

is NZ even a pan though

it's more of a shithole really

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In the Stuff story itself he makes the distinction that sure underage women got drunk at Young Nats events too, but that was okay as it was because of-age men were plying them with drink rather than because the women had access to the bar themselves.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I used to flat with an ACT dude and he was one of the creepiest motherfuckers I've ever met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Ghostlight posted:

In the Stuff story itself he makes the distinction that sure underage women got drunk at Young Nats events too, but that was okay as it was because of-age men were plying them with drink rather than because the women had access to the bar themselves.

Why is no one doing a scoop on Farrah being a sex pest so we can be rid of his loving awful political commentary already?

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I used to flat with an ACT dude and he was one of the creepiest motherfuckers I've ever met.

which one of the 30 of them was it?

• Locked thread