Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

From World Happiness Report.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/happiness-report/2018/WHR_web.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CountFosco posted:

Uhhhh, that's not exactly a huge distinction. It's not obvious to me what's so horrendous about the Belgian satellite photo there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_settlement

Belgians do not abide roads without buildings on them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Mattress posted:

Another interesting overview of population distribution:

Fixed.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

That is a pattern typical to France, but in many other European countries you had the same processes of suburbanization and white flight as in the USA, and at around the same period of time. Which is not to say that either of these is morally superior to the other or even the result of conscious planning, but thanks for the hot take.

I'm actually having a hard time thinking of countries that do display the same spatial pattern as France. Denmark, apparently, going off A Buttery Pastry's post.

I know that Germany and Scandinavia are in the inner city expensive and outlying areas cheap train. I've been under the impression that Spain, Italy and the UK at least also fall in line. All of them at least have problems with the working class being able to afford to live near to their jobs, ie. in the cities. Belgium's probs an outlier here.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

fishmech posted:

Paris looks like a shoddy hollywood set of Planned Capital City, that you'd find next to the outdoor set that's More Or Less Manhattan and the gate out back to Olde West Town. Paris looks like what Washington DC was intended to look like and that's terrible.

i love my gaudy looking 19th century city

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CountFosco posted:

Uhhhh, that's not exactly a huge distinction. It's not obvious to me what's so horrendous about the Belgian satellite photo there.

All the Belgians.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A summary of planned urbanism in post-war Paris: the country is in ruin, everything needs to be rebuild, so lots of workers are coming from the countryside (rural exodus) as well as poorer European countries (Belgium, Poland, Italy, Spain, Portugal) and from colonial territories (mostly Maghreb and West Africa). This influx of people results in a big housing crisis, third-world style slums (called "bidonvilles", literally"barreltowns") crop up everywhere, and that's bad. Plus you add the Baby Boom and you have a population that is growing rapidly, both from natality and from immigration.

So a plan is made to give lodging to all these people. In France, that plan is one that seems especially rational and modern: the grands ensembles, or "big sets", housing projects made of large "bars" of buildings. Le Corbusier was hugely influential in the overall design and principle, and directly responsible for more than a few. Nowadays they're seen as soulless blights, but at the time, it was seen as modern and rational. And by the standards of the 1950s, 1960s, they were quite comfortable. They'd have central heating, water, electricity, and gas available on all floors, all things that weren't standard back then. (Also they were full of asbestos. Using asbestos in construction only became illegal in 1997...) Anyways, they were a coherent plan to solve as quickly as possible a gigantic housing crisis, and they seemed like a pretty good idea at the time. Furthermore, to make sure the working poor from the slums could actually get in these housing projects, a whole system of rent-control was devised. So, these housing projects became known as HLM, moderate rent housings. These things are built in the suburbs, where there is room to build. Building them in the inner city would require expropriating people so as to raze their current housing to make room for the projects, and that's quite counterproductive when you want to house as many people as possible in as little time as possible.

From the 1960s, the decision is made to create new population centers. The "New City Policy" is decreed, which consists in merging several small towns administratively into a single new city, and building building building. In addition, some small towns are decreed to be Priority Urbanization Zones, or ZUP. These ZUP are entire new districts that are planned entirely (still in a rational and modern way, ca. 1960), including schools, shopping districts, etc.

To connect all these stuff to workplaces, and so get people to actually move over there, the Regional Express Network is created as an offshoot of the Paris mass transit system, and the ring road is built for automobiles. People from the suburbs can easily hop in a train or a car and get to their workplace quickly. So all these new towns and priority zones become commuter towns, with little to no activity. There are some shops and some public services (school, college, post office, police station, town hall) but that's about all. There's pretty much nothing to do out there, nearly all buildings are for housing people.

Time passes, the housing projects from the 1960s turn out to be pretty horrible places to live in hindsight, especially after a few decades of neglect; the suburbs in general are terrible places to live, and they are plagued with unemployment, crime, and riots. The conclusion: planned cities suck, even if they may have seemed like a good idea at the time.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

Time passes, the housing projects from the 1960s turn out to be pretty horrible places to live in hindsight, especially after a few decades of neglect; the suburbs in general are terrible places to live, and they are plagued with unemployment, crime, and riots. The conclusion: planned cities suck, even if they may have seemed like a good idea at the time.

i was going to just trim out the bits that diverged from the american practice but quickly realized that was the whole post

planned cities generally don't work out (especially when done under duress, scrambling to meet housing need) but it's still a drat sight better than what's going on in america today where we've completely disconnected from government provision of social housing in all but a handful of cities, as well as government policy straight up encouraging discrimination on economic (racial) lines as well as dislocation of residents from participation in the larger economy

like as bad as european suburban ghettos are they're still a level above the growing tendency to gentrify american cities which creates new, suburban ghettos but in the magical, exciting world of sprawl https://www.brookings.edu/testimonies/the-changing-geography-of-us-poverty/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

America absolutely has planned cities, just each "city" is a HOA subdivision and the planners are developers rather than government. The results are even more badder. Huge chunks of land developed only with the driving goal of maximizing short term profit and to hell with all externalities, then the whole thing is set in amber and never allowed to evolve or change organically over time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I live in planned city district built by the Commies, and it's pretty great, I wouldn't move out of here unless necessary. The citizen comforts are great, the place is designed to be easily walkable, yet conveniently car accessible as well, with plentiful green spaces etc. In comparison the modern private projects are terrible, and actually a drag on infrastructure because of course private investors try to cut costs by making inhabitants parasite on the conveniences and services put in place for the older constructions, instead of erecting new ones.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

steinrokkan posted:

I live in planned city district built by the Commies, and it's pretty great, I wouldn't move out of here unless necessary. The citizen comforts are great, the place is designed to be easily walkable, yet conveniently car accessible as well, with plentiful green spaces etc. In comparison the modern private projects are terrible, and actually a drag on infrastructure because of course private investors try to cut costs by making inhabitants parasite on the conveniences and services put in place for the older constructions, instead of erecting new ones.

Ahh, but how many people got filthy loving rich off of your planned city district?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

What exactly is a planned city in this context? E.g. what city would not be a planned one?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

America absolutely has planned cities, just each "city" is a HOA subdivision and the planners are developers rather than government. The results are even more badder. Huge chunks of land developed only with the driving goal of maximizing short term profit and to hell with all externalities, then the whole thing is set in amber and never allowed to evolve or change organically over time.

this doesn't really meet the colloquial definition of "planned city" vs. just being a giant master planned subdivision or something

planned cities usually integrate services and residential, maybe some commercial depending, integrated with transportation infrastructure. it's the difference between levittown and one of the new deal green cities

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenbelt,_Maryland

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What exactly is a planned city in this context? E.g. what city would not be a planned one?

generally when you have a big plot of land that's empty or mostly empty and some governmental entity comes up with a master plan to drop a whole new city in

the archetypical anglo example is milton keynes in england

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Keynes

or something smaller like seaside, florida which is a flukey private development meant to act as a test bed / demo for an american urban planning and architecture firm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaside,_Florida

oh and seaside reminded me that this little slice of hell exists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration,_Florida

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 14, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oh, I see. Cheers!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"planned city" is kind of the default for former communist states and 20th century development, it's rare enough further west to necessitate a specific term

yes, the implication is true that if american cities aren't "planned" then they are unplanned. famously, houston texas has no zoning code (at least the city of houston proper) and it's the fifth largest metro in america

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Weirdest-images-from-Houston-s-lack-of-zoning-laws-9171688.php

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 14, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

America absolutely has planned cities, they're a lot of the cities ever built in the country, being as native settlements were wiped out and just about everything else worth mentioning had planning applied (often before the people doing the planning had even seen the land they were planning!). That most had plans you don't like doesn't make them unplanned.

The early colonies areas and things like the old Northwest especially had a ton of planning, lots and roadways often being laid out in regular patterns from just across a city to across whole modern states, since it made selling off all this "unoccupied" native land very easy that way. Typically there's odd deviations mixed in because the easiest areas to settle would have one early European village or another already built out and sometimes others would end up colliding with each other, but the bulk was indeed planned.

Often these plans would take a century or more to be fully realized - when Philadelphia had its 5 main squares in the original city plotted in the 1683 plan, it would not be until the 1850s before the last of them was properly developed into an attractive public park as originally designed, because their surrounding blocks had been mostly empty or sparsely inhabited up til that point, with the squares often being used as big ol garbage dumps or similar purposes in the meantime. That was about the time that Philadelphia was consolidated with many neighboring townships and towns to form the modern extent of the city, which involved a blanket extension of the original city grid to cover all the other land in the consolidated city, except where existing development intervened. Some of that would be regularized to the city grid, others left as is.

Take a look for example at this map of 1687, depicting the original area of Philadelphia as if already fully developed, with the accompanying divisions of most of the land around it:

A somewhat more honest map was the big 1683 advertisement for lots in the city, which is a bit overambitious to say the least:

And of course everyone's seen the 1811 Commissioners' Plan for New York City that largely dictates how Manhattan looks outside of the parts already settled to that point (often to their own local smaller scale plans) to this day, or how Los Angeles for the most part follows a series of planned development patterns that produce a deceptively dense city across all that land, sometimes in LA itself and sometimes in other municipalities which never look fairly indistinguishable from the other.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

boner confessor posted:

generally when you have a big plot of land that's empty or mostly empty and some governmental entity comes up with a master plan to drop a whole new city in

For all that planned cities get a bad rap, I'll say that I've never met a person from Milton Keynes who actually disliked the place for its planned nature, and there are pressure groups in the town who consider the plan to have been a great success.

I've certainly heard many people not from Milton Keynes slag it off, just not its actual residents.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Reuters just posted a cool map graphic

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

boner confessor posted:

this doesn't really meet the colloquial definition of "planned city" vs. just being a giant master planned subdivision or something

planned cities usually integrate services and residential, maybe some commercial depending, integrated with transportation infrastructure. it's the difference between levittown and one of the new deal green cities

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenbelt,_Maryland

or something smaller like seaside, florida which is a flukey private development meant to act as a test bed / demo for an american urban planning and architecture firm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaside,_Florida

oh and seaside reminded me that this little slice of hell exists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration,_Florida

Celebration is really nice, tho

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

A friend of mine told me that WHYY had put online a thing where you could use a slider to toggle between the old district map and the new and I tried so hard to find it and couldn't

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

If you slot this chip into your mind-stack you get a double jump

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Other major planned cities:
Canberra
Brasilia

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
this is the only urban planning i respect

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Where's the bottom with the ice rink?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tree Goat posted:

this is the only urban planning i respect

Bigger?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

weird, it's like 1000x5000 pixels, I don't know why it's rendering so strangely.

here's the source: https://www.alpacaprojects.com/en/portfolio/dante/#Dante

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

For being such an adaptable species, I find it neat how many hard lines there are for population distribution. The American west, the Amazon, Patagonia, the Sahara, the Tibetan and Mongolian plateaus, the Kazakh steppe, southwest Africa...

Though, at least some of these are based on regions instead of simple density, I'm pretty sure the Empty Quarter doesn't have that many people.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Politically loaded because of the Red Pearl Pyrenees Mountains.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Based on murders per capita for cities with over 100k inhabitants.

Source here: http://www.seguridadjusticiaypaz.org.mx/ranking-de-ciudades-2017

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

sweek0 posted:

Based on murders per capita for cities with over 100k inhabitants.

Source here: http://www.seguridadjusticiaypaz.org.mx/ranking-de-ciudades-2017
Now I'm curious what the highest ranked city is that would not be on this map (i.e. Outside of the Americas and South Africa), and how its murder rate compares.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

weird, it's like 1000x5000 pixels, I don't know why it's rendering so strangely.

here's the source: https://www.alpacaprojects.com/en/portfolio/dante/#Dante

That site is annoying

Here

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Enlightenment thinkers were 110% on board with the whole "planned development" thing so there 'ought to be a shitload of it in any former colony, particularly North America and Australia. These are the types of people who tried to invent a metric calendar in post-revolutionary France.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fojar38 posted:

Enlightenment thinkers were 110% on board with the whole "planned development" thing so there 'ought to be a shitload of it in any former colony, particularly North America and Australia. These are the types of people who tried to invent a metric calendar in post-revolutionary France.

there's a time dimension here that's important - is a city still "planned" if it started out that way but then was subject to unplanned growth for a century or so? in an economic sense "planned" only really counts for cities that are less than a century old imo, otherwise their "planned" status is just historical trivia

savannah, ga was founded as a planned city in the 1730s, but the plan wasn't conformed to for two centuries

feller
Jul 5, 2006

also it got shermaned

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Senor Dog posted:

also it got shermaned

it was captured intact without a fight, tyvm

http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/thisday/cwhistory/12/21/savannah-surrendered-to-sherman

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hermsgervørden posted:

Politically loaded because of the Red Pearl Pyrenees Mountains.

Yeah there's Catalunya north of the Pyrenees just so you know.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Senor Dog posted:

also it got shermaned

It is famous for literally the opposite of this.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/MapPorn/comments/83y7kc/what_if_germany_was_divided_to_3_states_according/

Gotta love the parts of North Germany that's actually south of South Germany.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Negrostrike posted:

Gotta love the parts of North Germany that's actually south of South Germany.
I love that the mapmaker didn't get the last catholic outpost into South Germany, too.