Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Senor P. posted:

To give Rex a break he was doing what the CEO of all the other major corporations do. Which is to get people to buy more product.

I do not buy the argument that people are willfully ignorant of their consumption's effect on the environment.
(One does not have to be a Chemical Engineer to figure some of this poo poo out.)

But hey, Exxon Mobil is bad, they lied. (Most companies do, surprise surprise.)

Let's blame them for everything, and you know not hold our selves responsible for our own consumption or inaction.

Look at something like single use plastic which is pretty well known how it effects the environment. Guess what? People still use it, and ignore the problem at a local, national, and global scale.

Or what about over-fishing through out the world's ocean?

This poo poo ain't rocket science, it is literally meeting the definition of "Tragedy of the Commons".

*acknowledges exxon mobil is bad, but because of other things going on we should not acknowledge that exxon mobil is bad*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Senor P. posted:

To give Rex a break he was doing what the CEO of all the other major corporations do. Which is to get people to buy more product.

I do not buy the argument that people are willfully ignorant of their consumption's effect on the environment.
(One does not have to be a Chemical Engineer to figure some of this poo poo out.)

Let's blame them for everything, and you know not hold our selves responsible for our own consumption or inaction.

Look at something like single use plastic which is pretty well known how it effects the environment. Guess what? People still use it, and ignore the problem at a local, national, and global scale.

This poo poo ain't rocket science, it is literally meeting the definition of "Tragedy of the Commons".

Holy poo poo you are dumb

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Senor P. posted:

Corporations and capitalism are literally the reason poo poo is bad, yes.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
The worst thing about Rex Tillerson is that he also drinks from solo cups, apparently.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Making decisions that ensure the end of the lifespan of civilization conflicts with operating a business as a going concern :thunk:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Making decisions that ensure the end of the lifespan of civilization conflicts with operating a business as a going concern :thunk:

gently caress the planet, duh.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Senor P. posted:

Was anyone actually saying that blame is either 100% the fault of one entity or 100% the fault of "everyone" or did you come to that conclusion yourself?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: argh nvm enough dogpiling on the dumbass

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

this sea ice is getting way too close to normal, gonna be loving disappointed if we don't get 2 years outside 2 standard deviations. melt you bitch

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Hello Sailor posted:

Was anyone actually saying that blame is either 100% the fault of one entity or 100% the fault of "everyone" or did you come to that conclusion yourself?
Let's take a look at the previous posts...

Arglebargle III posted:

It's weird seeing all the serious frowning faces on cable news talking about Tillerson being humiliated when you remember that he should be put up against a wall and shot along with the rest of the Exxon executive suite.

StabbinHobo posted:

buried neck deep in a compost heap with a water bottle drip feed just above his head aimed at the top of his forhead

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Because leaving it made his job as Secretary of State harder, not because he cares. The dude spent the last thirty years denying climate change, burying evidence of it, and funding climate change denial science.

Arglebargle III posted:

I think in not even 100 years posterity will agree with me. Rex Tillerson has spent his life making conscious decisions to trade profit now for millions of lives in the future. Exxon has known the general outline of the worst case scenario since the 1970s.
The posts certainly seem to imply Exxon Mobil and Rex in particular are the fall boy's for global warming.
Zero mention of the other super majors: Chevron, Shell, BP, Total or their respective CEOs.

So are you saying capitalism and consumption is not to blame?

The oil industry has been around since the 1920s, anyone who's worked in it can tell you there is nothing "clean" about crude oil or refineries and there are serious health concerns on getting exposed to any number of chemicals.

So again screaming "Exxon hid the facts." I would have called people stupid for believing them in the first place.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 17, 2018

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Senor P. posted:

The posts certainly seem to imply Exxon Mobil and Rex in particular are the fall boy's for global warming.
Zero mention of the other super majors: Chevron, Shell, BP, Total or their respective CEOs.
hey you loving braindead rear end in a top hat we were talking about him because he just got fired as sec state not because we were trying to brainstorm the authoritative index of people and things to blame sorted by carbichlorian blame-o-watt count

quote:

100% of the time an argument starts with "So are you saying...." the person is wholesale pulling made up bullshit out of their rear end and flinging it around in other peoples faces. gently caress you, you dumb screeching poo poo flinging monkey.

quote:

The oil industry has been around since the 1920s, anyone who's worked in it can tell you there is nothing "clean" about crude oil or refineries and there are serious health concerns on getting exposed to any number of chemicals.

So again screaming "Exxon hid the facts." I would have called people stupid for believing them in the first place.
yes it is the victims who are really to blame after all

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

StabbinHobo posted:

hey you loving braindead rear end in a top hat we were talking about him because he just got fired as sec state not because we were trying to brainstorm the authoritative index of people and things to blame sorted by carbichlorian blame-o-watt count
100% of the time an argument starts with "So are you saying...." the person is wholesale pulling made up bullshit out of their rear end and flinging it around in other peoples faces. gently caress you, you dumb screeching poo poo flinging monkey.
yes it is the victims who are really to blame after all
Ok let me try this phrasing this another way since using Southern drawl apparently offends your fine mannerisms.

Do you consider the first world to be victims?

If so, why do you consider the first world to be victims?
(When I say victims I mean victims of global warming. Not victims of chemical pollution.)

People have been filling up their cars with cheap gas, using coal fired electricity like crazy, and using all kinds of plastic "poo poo" (for lack of a better word) in the first world for decades.

It was "discovered" that lead gas was bad for you in the... 50s? Early coal miners, oilmen, and others were not exactly known for their long life spans or friendly environmental practices in the early days (1900s to 1940s). Like storing oil in the open, touching the earth, like you would a water reservoir.

Pollution that effects ones personal health and fouls the local environment...
Hmmm..... I wonder what that might do in 50 more years? Good thing the oceans and sky limitless.... (Wrong.)

The first world cannot claim itself a victim. The writing on the wall has been around for a while.
(I think there is a very valid argument to be made there is a natural correlative between environmental polution and global warming. People are not stupid.)

The first world dug the pit and set the example. It's their fault. (Probably most of us on SA.)

We need to accept our fate.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 17, 2018

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Senor P. posted:

Let's take a look at the previous posts...

Exxon studied the climate effects starting in 1977. This is pretty much parallel to the Tobacco companies hiding their own research and spending $$$ to spread doubt.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/exxon-knew-about-climate-change-almost-40-years-ago/

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Senor P. posted:

I'm not sure how you would even get that from my post, given that I explicitly called you out for saying that blame could be 100% assigned to one end of the spectrum or the other.

quote:

Being stupid isn't a crime, which is probably a good thing for you. Deliberately misleading the public is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Senor P. posted:

Ok let me try this phrasing this another way since using Southern drawl apparently offends your fine mannerisms.

What the gently caress

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
This is the weirdest hill I've seen anyone ITT choose to die on, and I remember Arkane.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
protect rex

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Senor P. is an idiot and all, but his posts provides some pretty good insight in the coming rhetoric that will defend capital's role in climate change. I think something similar was mentioned by another poster earlier in the thread.

Eventually everyone will have moved away from denial. Climate change will be so powerful it will be indisputable. So the people involved are going to aggressively shift blame off themselves in order to avoid guillotine.
His arguments are basically the evolution of "without oil: you wouldn't have tires, and you wouldn't have cell phones, and you wouldn't have your shirt, and your butthole cleaner, etc". Now it's changed to: you used to much oil you idiot, maybe if you stopped buying so much cell phones and avocado toast we wouldn't be in this mess. We told you to drink responsibly, you dumb rear end, you were the one driving on the other side of the road.
I have a feeling that Senor P. is STEM that works in some way for resource extraction. These arguments are often used by nervous fucks trying to defend their opulent lifestyle that's been built on the destruction of the biosphere.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is the weirdest hill I've seen anyone ITT choose to die on, and I remember Arkane.

Please do not mention one of Satans names here.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Minge Binge posted:

I have a feeling that Senor P. is STEM that works in some way for resource extraction. These arguments are often used by nervous fucks trying to defend their opulent lifestyle that's been built on the destruction of the biosphere.

I follow the engineering thread in A/T:B,F,C (I complete my bachelors in environmental engineering in about 2 months) where he also posts. He's a Mech E that's worked overseas in Africa and recently posted about possibly working for Saudi firms, so you're almost certainly correct.

He's not a total poo poo, like He Who Shall Not Be Named, though: when it was pointed out to him that work in Saudi Arabia meant he'd probably be involved with work crews that blurred the lines between wage slavery and literal slavery, he appeared to back off from the idea. The guy who got triggered by the replies to him was pretty funny, though.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Conspiratiorist posted:

Bring back arcane!!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ban cows

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Is this like... half dilbert, half achewood? Somehow?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is this like... half dilbert, half achewood? Somehow?

Dilbert

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So what's happening in the Arctic? Looks like some minor rebounding, that's hopeful.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

call to action posted:

So what's happening in the Arctic? Looks like some minor rebounding, that's hopeful.

Look at this person everyone, look at their hope and laugh! (then sink into nihilistic despair, its easier)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

call to action posted:

It's reached it's maximum, which is comparable to 2015-2017 levels. The scary bit is when it melts in Sept-Oct, since big dips there mean dramatic loss of multi-year ice.

Ice thinning is the real enemy.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
https://m.phys.org/news/2018-03-permafrost-methane.html

Compost bomb going off, we're hosed.

I'm just so angry. Ten and twenty years ago I was still in school. I didn't get any say in this.

I remember doing a school project when I was 10 about how we need to move away from coal so we don't kill the planet. When i got distressed about it and told my parents, they pet me on the head and told me it was all going to be okay and we need coal because bullshit grown up reasons.

Well, it's not okay.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

froglet posted:

I'm just so angry. Ten and twenty years ago I was still in school. I didn't get any say in this.

I remember doing a school project when I was 10 about how we need to move away from coal so we don't kill the planet. When i got distressed about it and told my parents, they pet me on the head and told me it was all going to be okay and we need coal because bullshit grown up reasons.

Well, it's not okay.

Well if the weather gets too hot you just turn on the AC which runs off electricity which is generated from coal, QED :smuggo:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Huh I guess we really are all gonna die.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Huh I guess we really are all gonna die.

That was always certain

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

What's 60 gigatons anyway, like 10% of our carbon budget for <2°C?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Conspiratiorist posted:

more like 3%, extremely extremely roughly

but, you know, still Not Great, every percent matters

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Conspiratiorist posted:

The additional 1 gigaton of methane is not inconsequential, given that it is equivalent to more than 84 gigatons of CO2 over 20 years / 28 gigatons of CO2 over 100 years.

Global annual CH4 mean:
1984 1644.56
1985 1657.38
1986 1669.83
1987 1682.01
1988 1693.14
1989 1704.20
1990 1713.99
1991 1724.64
1992 1735.28
1993 1736.37
1994 1741.84
1995 1748.67
1996 1750.94
1997 1754.36
1998 1765.32
1999 1771.95
2000 1773.04
2001 1771.04
2002 1772.58
2003 1776.95
2004 1776.91
2005 1773.94
2006 1774.67
2007 1781.01
2008 1786.88
2009 1793.14
2010 1798.65
2011 1803.01
2012 1808.17
2013 1813.31
2014 1822.52
2015 1833.99
2016 1842.82

Earth's atmosphere: 5,148,000 gigatonnes (Gt) = a
Mean molar mass of the atmosphere: 28.97g/mole = b
Methane (CH4) molar mass: 16.04 g/mole = c
Atmospheric CH4 ppm, 1984 annual mean: 1.64456 ppm = d
Atmospheric CH4 mass, 1984 (a * (c / b) * d): 4.69 Gt = e
Atmospheric CH4 ppm, 2016 annual mean: 1.84282 ppm = f
Atmospheric CH4 mass, 2016 (a * (c / b) * f): 5.25 Gt = g

We've managed almost a 12% increase in methane over 32 years... go us.
+1 Gt is almost +20% over 2016.

This is however kind of rosy, given the abstract says:
A model of organic carbon decomposition, calibrated with the observed decomposition data, predicts a higher loss of permafrost carbon under oxic conditions (113 ± 58 g CO2–C kgC−1 (kgC, kilograms of carbon)) by 2100, but a twice as high production of CO2–Ce (241 ± 138 g CO2–Ce kgC−1) under anoxic conditions.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 22, 2018

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Oil Companies Admit Climate Change Is Real, Say Don’t Blame Us

The Daily Beast posted:

San Francisco, Oakland, four other California cities, and several counties have sued half a dozen oil companies for damages they are suffering, and will suffer more in the future, from rising sea levels. Sea level rise is caused by the melting of polar ice caps and the expansion of water when it is warmed, both triggered by global warming.

According to Chevron, there are so many contributors to climate change that “anyone in the world could be brought in in the case, including the plaintiffs themselves.” Sure, fossil fuel companies do their part, but so do a lot of other people. So, they say, you can’t pin this on us.

That's convenient.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

froglet posted:

Well, it's not okay.

Not particularly meaningful. They're projecting "1 gigaton of methane and 37 gigatons of carbon dioxide by 2100", i.e., about one or two years worth of anthropogenic emissions. Most people don't realize this because they keep reading news reports instead of EPA, IPCC and Nature studies but the Arctic permafrost is not expected to emit much.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

taking the long view (:smug:), anthropogenic co2 emissions are actually extremely cool and good, because after an initial couple million years of upheaval and mass extinction, we will finally return to the golden era of productive carbonic rainforests full of :krad: ginormous bugs instead of slowly but surely declining towards a world where co2 could become a hard limit on plant growth within a mere several hundred million years

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thug Lessons posted:

Not particularly meaningful. They're projecting "1 gigaton of methane and 37 gigatons of carbon dioxide by 2100", i.e., about one or two years worth of anthropogenic emissions. Most people don't realize this because they keep reading news reports instead of EPA, IPCC and Nature studies but the Arctic permafrost is not expected to emit much.

There's a reason this thread is dead and serious posters with credentials and experience in climate science have moved on to other communities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thug is a joke