Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

Hi, I have a 2004 v50 t5 and want to put a towbar on, could I use one from a 2003 v70? How hard a job is it to do myself, assuming minimal tools and competence?

Nope, a V70 tow hitch kit won't fit a V50. The chassis and it's mount points are different, and they will not line up. It's possible that one for a same-gen S40 might work, but best get one that is specifically said to fit the V50.

As for the wiring, the kit we installed on said V50 (2010-ish, a 2.0 diesel) had a plug that was supposed to connect to a CAN-bus driven unit specifically for the trailer light connection, but the car itself didn't have that unit. So we did the old-school hacky thing of just splicing into the wires for the lights themselves, and it just worked. I had expected the car to sense something was up with the current draw and throw a fit, but it was all happy as it was. That was the only real thing requiring any kind of improvisation, mounting the hitch itself was pretty easy. You will probably need four hands, but nothing fancy tool-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cool thanks. I haven't seen any other second hand ones so I think I will pay a geezer to source the part and do it for me.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
My XC90 decided that its engine was too good for this world via the timing belt slipping, so I'm in the market for a new car. I've slimmed it down to two options: the safe option and the not safe option.

Safe: 2001 V70 XC with 133k miles, new timing belt and a recently rebuilt transmission for $4,100 when it's all said and done.

Not so safe: 2004 V70R with 268k miles, also with a newly rebuilt transmission. $3,800 with tax and title.

Both have a clean Carfax, no accidents, well maintained. I'm torn.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 23, 2018

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

A Bad Poster posted:

My XC90 decided that its engine was too good for this world via the timing belt slipping, so I'm in the market for a new car. I've slimmed it down to two options: the safe option and the not safe option.

Safe: 2001 V70 XC with 133k miles, new timing belt and a recently rebuilt transmission for $4,100 when it's all said and done.

Not so safe: 2004 V70R with 268k miles, also with a newly rebuilt transmission. $3,800 with tax and title.

Both have a clean Carfax, no accidents, well maintained. I'm torn.

How long do you plan on keeping it for?

If short term (only a couple of years) I'd go with the V70R...but those are pretty high miles and there are probably a lot of other maintenance things to consider there... if you're looking to keep something longer, I'd go with the lower mileage one unless it's in worse shape overall...but at those mileages, I would highly suggest having a knowledgeable Volvo mechanic check both cars out for their opinion.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Automotive sanity: V70 XC. Honor and glory: V70R.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I'm not planning on having it for too long, 4 years on the outside.

Edit: I was very close to buying an Isuzu Vehicross, but it got bought out from under me, so I'm not exactly opposed to being impractical with my car buying choices.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Then for glory it is!

Seriously, I've got a 2006 V70R and I really like the thing a lot. My only real complaint is turning radius.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Oxphocker posted:

Then for glory it is!

Seriously, I've got a 2006 V70R and I really like the thing a lot. My only real complaint is turning radius.

My friends kids yell "land yacht, land yacht" and cackle along with their mom as I try to plot the appropriate series of large radius curves into a spot in parking lots.

I go back and forth between driving it and a '91 940 which has a incredibly tight turning radius; 32' vs 43'(!!) for the R.

I seriously love the 2005 V70R (with 6mt) I put a ton of miles on it in the last two years and it's such a comfortable and enjoyable car to be in. Pretty much peak ergonomic design, and adding a grom Bluetooth/handsfree that integrates with the excellent stereo, and a bluetooth obd2 scanner + torque gets me all the tech I want, without giving up buttons and nobs.

It also can be driven amazing hard and with the adjustable suspension, brembos and anti-squat it's hilariously capable. And after diving into and howling around a clover leaf in advanced, you relax, put it in comfort and cruise along, as if you were definitely not hooning 10s ago.

Get the R!

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Most of the time I leave the suspension in Sport mode....a lot of the time I think Comfort is too floaty. I only end up using it when the road is really crappy and bumpy. Around here the roads are pretty bad, so riding in Advanced is like being in a paint shaker so I typically only use it on nice roads that have curves (like off ramps).

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I just called the dealership, and unfortunately someone bought the R yesterday. God drat it.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Well there is this one: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...&modelCode1=V70

You could always get it shipped...usually only a couple hundred dollars to ship on a car carrier..

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, it's a little out of my price range by about a factor of 4 though.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I'm doing the PCV system in my n/a 1996my 10v 850. The car does not have EGR. I got the kit from FCP, but the little plastic line going from the manifold to the flame trap isn't included, and the old one isn't usable. I'm thinking about replacing it with some copper tubing, but it would have to be significantly bigger diameter than the original part. Would that be a problem? I dont really understand the purpose of the hose as it only runs from in front of the throttle plate to the manifold giving what i would thought would be a vacuum leak.

Also, my car seems weird in that it doesn't have a hose ventilating the cylinder head, and as a consequence, my new oil trap has a spare opening. Can I simply block that off, or do i need to hunt down the correct oil trap?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Humbug posted:

I'm doing the PCV system in my n/a 1996my 10v 850. The car does not have EGR. I got the kit from FCP, but the little plastic line going from the manifold to the flame trap isn't included, and the old one isn't usable. I'm thinking about replacing it with some copper tubing, but it would have to be significantly bigger diameter than the original part. Would that be a problem? I dont really understand the purpose of the hose as it only runs from in front of the throttle plate to the manifold giving what i would thought would be a vacuum leak.

Also, my car seems weird in that it doesn't have a hose ventilating the cylinder head, and as a consequence, my new oil trap has a spare opening. Can I simply block that off, or do i need to hunt down the correct oil trap?

Definitely hunt down the correct kit. If the parts don't match what you're taking off that's a problem.

As for the hose bypassing the throttle, sometimes they control the vacuum leak with tiny ports and then tune for it. My turbo versions have a fitting like that and it really bothers me. But I think it's a form of idle and stall control. If you replace it and the car doesn't run right, then yeah you need to get the OEM part.

Oxphocker posted:

Well there is this one: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...&modelCode1=V70

You could always get it shipped...usually only a couple hundred dollars to ship on a car carrier..
I always love when someone asks a premium price for their car but shows it dirty or full of garbage. Like what the gently caress?

On the flip side, a sonic blue R is the best thing ever. I know because I have one!

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 7, 2018

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I pulled the trigger on the sensible option and got the V70 XC. It's been perfect so far, I've taken care of all the little cosmetic things that were messed up, like a position light with broken clips and getting rubber floor mats since it didn't come with anything. Next up it changing all the fluids and having my local mechanic give it a good inspection. Probably going to get the PCV valve replaced after that if he says it hasn't been done recently. Timing belt was replaced about 30k ago, so I won't have to worry about that for a while. This car is immaculate, though, in terms of the cabin and exterior. I don't think anyone has ever sat in the back seats.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

I pulled the trigger on the sensible option and got the V70 XC. It's been perfect so far, I've taken care of all the little cosmetic things that were messed up, like a position light with broken clips and getting rubber floor mats since it didn't come with anything. Next up it changing all the fluids and having my local mechanic give it a good inspection. Probably going to get the PCV valve replaced after that if he says it hasn't been done recently. Timing belt was replaced about 30k ago, so I won't have to worry about that for a while. This car is immaculate, though, in terms of the cabin and exterior. I don't think anyone has ever sat in the back seats.

You want to do rear diff, haldex, angle gear, and transmission fluid. The trans should actually be done about every 50k and the rest are every 100k. But Volvo says they're all lifetime fluid and people blow haldex units and transmissions all the loving time because of it. People who change the fluid never have trouble.

Just do the PCV, it should be done every 100k regardless. It clogs easily, especially if people follow the factory oil change schedule, and when it does it blows out either your front cam seals, rear main seal, or both.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
2001 V70XC doesn't come with Haldex, it's the less than great old visco system. About half of them don't even have a working AWD these days.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Oh right, I didn't double check the post and remembered it wrong.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The all wheel drive on mine definitely still works. Ended up doing some unexpected offroading because Google decided that a logging track which was barely more than some tire ruts through the woods was the best way to get where I was going.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

A Bad Poster posted:

The all wheel drive on mine definitely still works. Ended up doing some unexpected offroading because Google decided that a logging track which was barely more than some tire ruts through the woods was the best way to get where I was going.

You had just bought an AWD vehicle and would like the opportunity for a bit of a shakedown. Google knows that kind of stuff.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The most surprising thing was that the headlight wipers work as well as they do.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have the headlight washers and wish I could turn them off. It seems to just unnecessarily piss extra washer fluid out when it’s not needed most of the time.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I have had many an old Volvo and the headlight washers/wipers are almost always in some way broken when I got them or very shortly thereafter. Most interesting one was where the endstop on one side was malfunctioning so the wiper would keep going for 20 minutes or so and then stop at some random angle.
If all that is broken is a wiper blade I may fix that, but at any sign of other trouble I generally unscrew the wiper arms, disconnect the motors, and fold the washer hoses over and zip-tie them shut and leave it at that. For the non-ancient washer-only ones, I think they just pop out from the washer fluid pressure so all you need to do is block the hose. There are some though that have their own pump for the headlights, and there I guess you could just unplug the cable or maybe even put it on its own switch.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I mixed up LloydDobler's project thread and this one.

LloydDobler posted:

I just drove an 01 manual turbo for 8 years, and traded it in for an 06 manual AWD turbo. So I think they're great but they do have a few gremlins to watch out for, depending on year and mileage.

The XCs are solid cars and the prices have recently dropped like a rock for some reason. General rule is to stay away from 01-02 automatics because the transmissions had issues. They were generally worked out by 03 but still if you drive one and anything is funky with the shifting, like flaring, clunking, or hard shifts, run away. If it drives smooth and clean then it should be ok. Personally I would shop for 05-07 as these were the final years of the P2 platform wagon and generally had all the issues worked out. Also a quick AWD test is to put a front wheel on gravel and see if you can spin it. If it spins the AWD is not working, and there are many expensive possibilities as to why. Only a few cheap ones.

So pay attention to the autos and test the AWD. I remember you saying the angle gear was one of the issues.
Are there any significant mechanical differences between the V70 and the XC trim? Just ride height?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Basically yeah. XCs were really popular so parts are easier to come by, but they never came in manual. Only FWD N/A, T5, and AWD R came in manual. It is possible to manual swap them now with a few programmers who can make the code work. It used to be impossible due to interlocked electronics. The XC trim has plastic body cladding so some panels are not interchangeable with regular wagons due to holes. XCs are also all the exact same engine and turbo combo, 2.4 with a 13T up to 03 and then 2.5 with a 14T after that. But turbos are easy to swap and a tune can make it as fast as an R. Extremely reliable in original form though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Am I crazy, or did they not have side impact crash testing a lot sooner? I'm trying to look up mid 2000s V70 crash ratings, and I find just this:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/volvo/850-s70-4-door-sedan/2000
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2004/VOLVO/V70/4%252520DR
Does it not have a US crash test rating? How?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Looking around, there seems to be video of the P2 NHTSA crash test, but I can't find any ratings for the life of me. Quite weird.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some of the YT videos titled NHTSA were NCAP tests.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Regardless of regulations, Volvo has done side impact safety since the early 70's. They had thick wall steel tubes in the doors before the 240 models came out. When Dodge was bragging about side impact beams in the 90's I was like what the gently caress man, my shitbox from 1970 had those.

Volvo were the first brand to have side airbags standard, and all Volvos have had them since like 1996. Basically when you look up any safety standards, Volvo was likely meeting or exceeding them years prior. They set the standards in many cases. My 122 was the first car to have 3 point seatbelts, and Volvo gave the patent away for free in the interest of public safety.

Here's some safety bragging from 1974. They'd had 4 wheel disc brakes standard for 7 years at this point. The brakes are one of the reasons my dad fell in love with his first Volvo in 1976.

You might find a safer car than a Volvo, but you will absolutely be safe in any Volvo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 27, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
In the past 6 months I have started seeing C30s everywhere. They didn't reintroduce them, did they? Hope they did/do, I always thought they looked like fun little fuckers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would still like to see a modern crash test done on a 240. We know they were very safe for their time, but at what point did the rest of the industry finally catch up?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

It's pretty telling that a car designed in the 60's and refined slightly over the next 24 years was still meeting crash test standards well enough to be sold new in 1991. They were that safe.

On the other hand, 5th gear did a crash test with a mid 90's 940 against a newer car and declared Volvo not that great. I think they set it up to fail though. And it was an offset front collision, probably the worst test you could do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
At that time, I don't think any of the car manufacturers had really figured out how to deal with an offset front hit. That 940 is still a glorious tank with it's not-quite-but-almost moose-proof A-pillars.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I think I need to replace the transmission pan gasket on my 164. I put it up on stands and let it sit, and now there's transmission fluid on pretty much every bolt head. It's a BW-35 automatic transmission and the problem is, near as I can tell the pan is square. I went to the O'Reillys and they gave me a gasket with a big semi-circular bulge out on one edge that looks clearly incorrect. Rockauto has https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8427336&cc=1286906&jsn=378 which looks a little more like that I need, but it's still got that bulge on the lower right:

IPD doesn't appear to have anything, but I found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Mark-Automotive-Automatic-Transmission-Filter/dp/B001G6PM8W/

Is that what I want? Will the location for the little filter & gasket become apparent once I have the pan off? I've never gone into an automatic transmission before and my Haynes manuals (164 and 140 series) have about 2 pages each for the automatic transmission.

Also, it's possible bushing where the shift linkage goes in might be leaking... it's hard to tell for sure. If I do the pan and it turns out to be also leaking from the shifter, how hard is it to change that / seal it up?

And what kind of ATF is ok in these transmissions? I've been using Type-F because that's what the manual says, but it's hard to find sometimes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you can't find a good gasket, you could try just using The Right Stuff rtv.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you can't find a good gasket, you could try just using The Right Stuff rtv.

Is that poo poo actually any good? I've seen plenty of posts here in AI cursing previous owners for doing RTV instead of just buying a proper gasket.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only problem with it is that it sticks so well, you need to pry like hell to get the pan off in the future. The factory setup for my Jeep is RTV on both axles and the transmission, though I've got aftermarket gaskets on all three because they are easier. If a gasket doesn't exist, RTV is fine.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think I need to replace the transmission pan gasket on my 164. I put it up on stands and let it sit, and now there's transmission fluid on pretty much every bolt head. It's a BW-35 automatic transmission and the problem is, near as I can tell the pan is square. I went to the O'Reillys and they gave me a gasket with a big semi-circular bulge out on one edge that looks clearly incorrect. Rockauto has https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8427336&cc=1286906&jsn=378 which looks a little more like that I need, but it's still got that bulge on the lower right:

IPD doesn't appear to have anything, but I found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Mark-Automotive-Automatic-Transmission-Filter/dp/B001G6PM8W/

Is that what I want? Will the location for the little filter & gasket become apparent once I have the pan off? I've never gone into an automatic transmission before and my Haynes manuals (164 and 140 series) have about 2 pages each for the automatic transmission.

Also, it's possible bushing where the shift linkage goes in might be leaking... it's hard to tell for sure. If I do the pan and it turns out to be also leaking from the shifter, how hard is it to change that / seal it up?

And what kind of ATF is ok in these transmissions? I've been using Type-F because that's what the manual says, but it's hard to find sometimes.

You should ask these questions on turbobricks, there are a couple old saltys there who are still experts on the BW35.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
This weekend me and Invalido are doing a double-header timing belt change on a pair of Volvos. A 1998 V40 2.0T (B4204T), and a 2002 V70 2.4 (B5244S2), both featured previously in this thread. They have the exact same timing belt kit, which we got two of. Belt, idler, tensioner, water pump. SKF branded (at one point the parent company of Volvo!), but not sure who actually makes the non-bearing parts of it.

The water pumps came with paper gaskets. Are we better off using those gaskets, or RTV silicone goop?

Also last time I did a timing belt on a Volvo engine was about 5 years ago, and that engine was outside the car. What is the #1 thing we should look out for to avoid loving it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I did the timing belt on my 850 with the B5252S last month. I'm no expert but a big thing is having a low profile T45 torx drive for the tension pulley that doesn't foul on the wheel well. I ended up using a box end imperial wrench directly around the bit. The Biltema torx kit bits didn't fit for me (you're in Sweden right?) but with the shorter 2.0T, that might not be such a huge issue.

I used a tiny bit of rtv to keep the paper gasket in place. It had a paper filter already that was a pain to remove. No signs of any leaks.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 11, 2018