Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I know I'm an rear end in a top hat, etc etc. The only stats that matter are win % and KDR, its too easy to cheese everything else with an extremely boring play style. I thought we learned our lesson from Nevermore at Gamescon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

VulgarandStupid posted:

I know I'm an rear end in a top hat, etc etc. The only stats that matter are win % and KDR, its too easy to cheese everything else with an extremely boring play style. I thought we learned our lesson from Nevermore at Gamescon.

this except the only kdr matters

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

abigserve posted:

You’re right, let’s just score ourselves by KDR^2 from now on.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

When the squads on fire :black101:

I think the best stat is actually Damage per game. KDR is too gameable by winning, but damage per round is a good measure of your effectiveness per game. If you are averaging over 300 I think thats solid.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

VulgarandStupid posted:

You’re right, let’s just score ourselves by KDR^2 from now on.

(KDR^2) * win percentage imo

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

abigserve posted:

Nah it's a lot easier to kill people in low MMR, it's so easy even I can do it. If you're not winning matches then what's the point, might as well play Quake or CS:GO Deathmatch.

Rex-Goliath posted:

(KDR^2) * win percentage imo

This I can get behind.

Jerkface posted:

When the squads on fire :black101:

I think the best stat is actually Damage per game. KDR is too gameable by winning, but damage per round is a good measure of your effectiveness per game. If you are averaging over 300 I think thats solid.

Nice scoreboard.

From my observation, I think damage per round is completely unused in any of the game's calculations. I agree with you that it should be weighted somewhere.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 16, 2018

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Rex-Goliath posted:

This is still basically an entirely new genre that's being played with so I'm not against trying stuff that seems stupid at first glance. If the 4x4 map ends up being terrible then whatever- lesson learned.

I'm not against trying anything in a game but given how badly wrong they got the formula with Miramar I have no confidence in BlueHole.

It's like with Miramar they thought about what would make a cool looking map (and the map does look great) without thinking about what gameplay experience they wanted to provide. It should be a case of "What gameplay experience do we want? What kind of map will facilitate that experience?" rather than just "Hey a big desert map would be cool!!1"

It just feels like they don't have an actual design process.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

^what he said.

Rex-Goliath posted:

This is still basically an entirely new genre that's being played with so I'm not against trying stuff that seems stupid at first glance. If the 4x4 map ends up being terrible then whatever- lesson learned.

making miramar the "same" size (but actually bigger since it's not an island) was a pretty dumb mistake that could be seen from a mile away. every write up i saw about the map before its official reveal pegged as it as smaller since that was a logical change. it feels like they didn't test it - enigma89 has it right when he says it has a better early and end game but the issue with the midgame is so obvious i don't know how they missed it.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 16, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

^what he said.

making miramar the "same" size (but actually bigger since it's not an island) was a pretty dumb mistake that could be seen from a mile away. every write up i saw about the map before its official reveal pegged as it as smaller since that was a logical change. it feels like they didn't test it - enigma89 has it right when he says it has a better early and end game but the issue with the midgame is so obvious i don't know how they missed it.

IIRC some of the map layouts were also completely different and seemed actually interesting. The moment I laid my eyes on the in-game map I was like "oh no" and the game never proved me wrong afterwards.

WhatEvil posted:

I'm not against trying anything in a game but given how badly wrong they got the formula with Miramar I have no confidence in BlueHole.

It's like with Miramar they thought about what would make a cool looking map (and the map does look great)

One of the weirdest (though to me this is just a pet peeve and it barely fits in my long list of actual complaints about Miramar) things about Miramar to me is how good the map looks from above and how incredibly lo-fi it looks down there. It's like someone spent a while working on the best looking desert map that World-Machine could provide, got satisfied with the result, and then whoever was in charge of converting it had just finished watching a Super Mario 64 marathon and was feeling really nostalgic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Elentor posted:

IIRC some of the map layouts were also completely different and seemed actually interesting. The moment I laid my eyes on the in-game map I was like "oh no" and the game never proved me wrong afterwards.

yeah i'm pretty sure the concept art map i saw was even arab themed and not mexico.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
they probaly didnt have 40 people dropping pecado and 20 at hacienda in testing

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Some parts of the map do look really good IMO.

They have done some things well - they've increased verticality both with the terrain and some of the tall buildings and stuff in Los Leones which is a nice change. The idea of having bumpier terrain in general is not a terrible one as it makes the end-game position wrangling different than in Erangel in a not entirely terrible way.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I love when people chase me, run into building, close door, hide at an odd angle with a shotgun and blast them when they come through.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

underage at the vape shop posted:

they probaly didnt have 40 people dropping pecado and 20 at hacienda in testing

I think this is why we need some sort of ranked mode, leagues, or something that pushes players to really not want to die in the first 10 minutes. If we get lucky, the 4X4 map will split the player-base between those that want to Hot Drop and those that want to play more of a survival game. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Make it so you can't join a new game until the one you died in finishes. That'll teach people not to be bad real quick.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Make it so you can't join a new game until the one you died in finishes. That'll teach people not to be bad real quick.

This is the worst idea I've ever heard

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

thatd make people worse because they'd have less practice

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There needs to be a neon pink glowing parachute and a gold weapon as a reward or whatever people like. A lower ratio than 1 : 0.2 between win rating and kill rating so that people don't just nevermore their way into rewards, and an actual, exposed MMR or a win rating score that does not take in consideration your kills because that's what kill rating is supposed to be for.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Make this a feature of hardcore mode.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Sadly, I just checked the roadmap and none of these things are on there.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bad idea. What they need to do is let you spectate the person who killed you, like in Fortnight. You get better from watching good players play.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Bad idea. What they need to do is let you spectate the person who killed you, like in Fortnight. You get better from watching good players play.

I like this a lot. I find this game is really fun to spectate when I'm dead in a squad. I'd most def. watch my killer in a game where I die in the top 15 or so just to see how it plays out. And you're right, there would definitely be a skill transfer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you could just watch choco he explains his thinking while playing.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

former glory posted:

I like this a lot. I find this game is really fun to spectate when I'm dead in a squad. I'd most def. watch my killer in a game where I die in the top 15 or so just to see how it plays out. And you're right, there would definitely be a skill transfer.

You tend to be able to reflect a bit on what you did wrong, when you're forced to wait between games instead of just jumping back in and making the same mistakes again. In Arma 3 BR, you'd wait 15+ minutes between games while the server filled up. In situations like that, you really try to fix your mistakes or you'd be waiting hours on end for very little action.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Some us know what we’re bad at but enjoy playing the game as is. I have no desire to alter my play style because it’s fun for me as is. Altering the game to fit some arbitrary definition of “the correct way to play” is stupid.

Some people want to drop pochinki. Some people want to hide in bushes. The game is designed to allow both of those things. Forcing anyone to play another way fundamentally changes the entire game.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 16, 2018

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I just don't understand how the lurking and being bad at actually shooting people play-style is fun for anyone. Cool, you lurked around the map for 25 minutes, you have an UMP and level 2 gear, finally see a guy and put 25 damage on them before they kill you. Yay 10th place! :shrug:

https://pubg.op.gg/user/TedStriker?server=na

^ For instance, this is the type of player I'm talking about. I just don't understand how that's fun. He had a stretch of 5 games, which took him two hours of gameplay time. He had zero kills and did 9 total damage. He died to:

M16 - 17m (32 minutes)
SCAR - 47m (18 minutes)
AWM - 148m (28 minutes)
Falling - (15 minutes)
Kar98 - 351m (15 minutes)

Sign me up for this game!

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 16, 2018

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Just because you don’t understand it doesn’t make it any less fun for those of us who do it.

Edit - don’t kinkshame me. His stats are similar to mine. The game is fun this way.

https://pubg.op.gg/user/WEEDLORD666?server=na

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 16, 2018

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

VulgarandStupid posted:

You tend to be able to reflect a bit on what you did wrong

I usually check out the replay to see what I could have done better with the knowledge I had at the time.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I just don't understand how the lurking and being bad at actually shooting people play-style is fun for anyone. Cool, you lurked around the map for 25 minutes, you have an UMP and level 2 gear, finally see a guy and put 25 damage on them before they kill you. Yay 10th place! :shrug:

^ For instance, this is the type of player I'm talking about. I just don't understand how that's fun. He had a stretch of 5 games, which took him two hours of gameplay time. He had zero kills and did 9 total damage. He died to:

M16 - 17m (32 minutes)
SCAR - 47m (18 minutes)
AWM - 148m (28 minutes)
Falling - (15 minutes)

While I don't play this way anymore it is fun in it's own way. The best part of this game is the tension, after all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Thom P. Tiers posted:

M16 - 17m (32 minutes)
SCAR - 47m (18 minutes)
AWM - 148m (28 minutes)
Falling - (15 minutes)

almost had a heart attack when i saw a 4 kill chicken dinner.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Groovelord Neato posted:

almost had a heart attack when i saw a 4 kill chicken dinner.

His season two is incredible. 168 solo games played for 1 dinner. His top 10 rate was 53%. 0.31 KD with 42 Avg. Dmg. That is some dedication to leaderboards/playstyle.

very stable genius posted:

Just because you don’t understand it doesn’t make it any less fun for those of us who do it.

Edit - don’t kinkshame me. His stats are similar to mine. The game is fun this way.

https://pubg.op.gg/user/WEEDLORD666?server=na

I truly do respect your dedication to that playstyle. But man, I would be bored out of my god drat mind and get so frustrated at not being able to kill people in the end game. You die so often with 0 damage and you die a lot to the bluezone too.

For reference, my playstyle is: medium drop, kill those people, play the edge of the circles. Places I drop: Mansion, Stalber, Primorsk, Rozhok, Shooting Range. West Los Leones, Valle de Mar, Power Grid, Bronca, the two large eastern islands.

Also I love your name. A+

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 16, 2018

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

very stable genius posted:

Some us know what we’re bad at but enjoy playing the game as is. I have no desire to alter my play style because it’s fun for me as is. Altering the game to fit some arbitrary definition of “the correct way to play” is stupid.

Some people want to drop pochinki. Some people want to hide in bushes. The game is designed to allow both of those things. Forcing anyone to play another way fundamentally changes the entire game.

Sorry, you're wrong and if you truly were a "very stable genius" you'd easily recognize this.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
VulgarandStupid is entirely correct here I'm afraid

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I truly do respect your dedication to that playstyle. But man, I would be bored out of my god drat mind and get so frustrated at not being able to kill people in the end game. You die so often with 0 damage and you die a lot to the bluezone too.

For reference, my playstyle is: medium drop, kill those people, play the edge of the circles. Places I drop: Mansion, Stalber, Primorsk, Rozhok, Shooting Range. West Los Leones, Valle de Mar, Power Grid, Bronca, the two large eastern islands.

Also I love your name. A+

Here’s the thing. It’s fun to play lootgoblin and sneak around and try to pick people off while drinking beers or smoking something. I have potato aim and lovely reflexes but I’m not tryhard enough to want to fix it. I enjoy my play style as is because it’s laid back. I don’t enjoy hot dropping into pochinki and getting hosed by the rng or dying because of my lovely reflexes.

I mostly drop away from the action so I can actually loot a decent weapon in peace. Then I head towards other people. I almost never take potshots at people further than 100yards away because I suck at aiming. Instead I just sneak around and try to get position. Sometimes it works. Usually it doesn’t. But it’s fun for me either way. But in either case I’m probably laughing hysterically at some dumb situation I’ve gotten myself into.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
^^We should play together :hfive:

VulgarandStupid posted:

Sorry, you're wrong and if you truly were a "very stable genius" you'd easily recognize this.

Are you that guy that yells at teammates for not playing "correctly"?

I enjoy playing it as a bit of survivalist game style. I can't stand jumping into a crowded area to play who can find a gun first. I like getting a decent kit and then move in and engage when I need to.

It does backfire a lot too, last night I got lvl 3 helmet and vest, 416 and scar all kitted out, lots of health and boost. Jumped on a bike ready to take on the world only to hit a magic bump 25ft down the road, flip the bike and break my neck :downsgun:

JEEVES420 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 16, 2018

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

I have brain worms and the only correct way to play is blind aggression as soon as you have a gun and a helmet

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I would also love if they added a handheld range finder. I want to see someone off in the distance and know how many yards out they are without guessing off a map or just taking pop shots and seeing where they land.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

JEEVES420 posted:

I would also love if they added a handheld range finder. I want to see someone off in the distance and know how many yards out they are without guessing off a map or just taking pop shots and seeing where they land.

Use landmarks as references on the game map to gauge distances, the squares are 100m.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

JEEVES420 posted:

^^We should play together :hfive:

Are you that guy that yells at teammates for not playing "correctly"?

I enjoy playing it as a bit of survivalist game style. I can't stand jumping into a crowded area to play who can find a gun first. I like getting a decent kit and then move in and engage when I need to.

It does backfire a lot too, last night I got lvl 3 helmet and vest, 416 and scar all kitted out, lots of health and boost. Jumped on a bike ready to take on the world only to hit a magic bump 25ft down the road, flip the bike and break my neck :downsgun:

Yes, I'll also tell you how to get your credit score up and how to adjust your diet. Stop drinking soda man, it's just empty calories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

There are level 3 helmets/vests? Best I've found are level 2 things, interesting.

Also, getting geared out and then dying because you tripped over your own shoelaces seems very schadenfreude