Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Your skaven would not have been making very many saves anyway.

I was the one doing mortal wounds :v: But yes, that's true.

e: Arch-Warlock, Grey Seer, Warpfire Thrower

He had some too but I never felt bad taking clanrats off the table regardless. I felt a little bad about it though because I didn't fail to cast a spell for 5 turns.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

I was the one doing mortal wounds :v: But yes, that's true.

e: Arch-Warlock, Grey Seer, Warpfire Thrower

He had some too but I never felt bad taking clanrats off the table regardless. I felt a little bad about it though because I didn't to cast a spell for 5 turns.

Oh well thats fine too. I just Heard that Stormcast are good at dealing out mortal wounds so I expected most of them to be smashing you.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh well thats fine too. I just Heard that Stormcast are good at dealing out mortal wounds so I expected most of them to be smashing you.

Yeah if it was a larger game he would have been making GBS threads them out for sure. He had a lord on Dracoth that was throwing them out as well as the sniper dudes who head-shot my drat warpfire thrower. He probably brought too many basic dudes for what it's worth, but no biggie. Still learning! I was surprised to see that Rat Ogres can really lay down some hurt if they can get delivered. Nobody got a double turn off so that was something we really didn't experience, but I'm glad at least that abilities seem to all last until the start of your next hero phase, so defensive tech doesn't get completely negated.

I got lucky-ish with his lord, my Arch-Warlock did 6 mortal wounds to him with spells in a single turn, then managed to live through a charge from his lord by a single wound, and then died to my halberd. My opponent was not happy :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I just played a Skaven game against my opponent. Funny enough every time I tried to overcharge one of my machines or my warlock engeener's warp lightning I got a one. So my warlock, warpfire thrower, and poison wind mortar all exploded.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Well gently caress. I guess I stole all your luck :v:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Mortal wounds are good yes. They’re particularly good against Stormcast though as they tend to have good saves which they can augment further with buffs.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I was doing some Mathhammer this morning, and I thought I had a revelation! Tree Revenants were actually worth their points! So were Spite Revenants!

... then I realized that I had put 10 models worth of attacks for 80 points. Turns out Sylvaneth loving suck at killing stuff.

Edit: I had a Branchwych on sprue, so I made a second Branchwraith. This one has the ponytail like the Wych.

Edit: I guess I will have to just paint them and hope that they get buffed somehow.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 10, 2018

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Malign Portents - lend me your eyes!

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The true heroes of Age of Sigmar.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Great weekend progress! Assembled 5 Blood Warriors, 20 Bloodreavers, 2 Slaughterpriests, 1 Bloodsecrator, 1 Skullgrinder, and 2 Exalted Deathbringers.

Two or three more weekends like this, and my Khorne army will be assembled!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sick. I got my Arch-Warlock assembled and an entire Sigmarite Mausoleum set for terrain. Next step is to get weapon arms onto all my clan rats and getting a little bit of sand basing around the cork I've already started.

How is the Khorne stuff? A couple guys in my area say they haven't kept up power wise buuuut I'm not sure they're the kinds of opinions I trust :v:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I never actually get to play games.

From a math perspective, Khorne is probably one of the strongest offenses in the game, but it is so dependent on their characters. By killing the Bloodsecrators, you significantly weaken the army. Most of the batallions are also disabled by killing one or two models.

They also don't have many tricks. They can't keep up with moment 10"+ guys. They have almost no ranged attacks. So while their characters can be picked off, they have no ability to do the same.

So, I think they will be fun in a "Charge!" kinda way.

I am looking forward to painting a horde of insane cannibals, so that is what is keeping me going. Wrathmongers, Slaughterpriests, Blood Warriors. The models are rad.

Edit: I am only talking Mortal Khorne. That's what I like. The Demon + Mortal combo can be good too. ... but it still relies on lynchpin characters.

30 Bloodletters, a Bloodstoker, a Bloodsecrator, a Slaughterpriest with Killing Frenzy. It's a stupidly powerful combo. Most tournament lists are built around this.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 12, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://malignportents.com/story/time-of-plenty/

A new story about some nobles having a good time.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Had my first 3 games of AoS Saturday, 2 as part of Path to Glory and 1 a demo game for a friend. Won twice, lost once.

First battle was against an awesome guy name Eric with an equally awesome Flamespyre Phoenix as his Champion. Mission was The Vendetta and he made the Phoenix his rival unit as predicted (mine were Skinks). I lost this one, narrowly I think, because I did not squeeze out every inch of movement I could and underestimated how far his Reavers could travel to finish off my Skinks. If they'd moved just a bit more or I teleported them every chance i got the Phoenix would have been dead on my next turn.

Second battle was against Mandy and her Sylvaneth. The mission was Altar of the Gods which I had an inbuilt advantage for (hold 3/4 altars at the end of your turn, simple with Seraphon's teleport). This instant win felt lame so we slugged it out til the end. I tabled the Sylvaneth in the end but not til round 4.

Third battle was the demo unrelated to the campaign with a friend's friend's Stormcast. He took the game a bit too seriously for a demo and got frustrated when the dice wouldn't see his plan through. Also got frustrated when my Ripperdactyl's exploding beak attacks caught him for 30+ wounds on his Liberators, the first time I'd ever see it truly go off the chain like that (thanks Blot Toad). I won this one too but it was by concession against an opponent who doesn't seem to have much fun when he's not winning.

Lessons learned:

Controlling whether your opponent gets double turn is often stronger than getitng it yourself
With Seraphon, A.B.T. Always be teleporting.
My warband is balanced for narrative fights like these to summon a unit or two per game. It's just part of the Slann's value and why he's a top-tier champion for Path to Glory.
Bastildons are an auto-take. They are so good I cannot imagine not taking them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Your victories are just going to make your Slann's warband stronger too.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Where can I find the points costs of the battleforce / start collecting battalions, I have both for kharadrons and I have the requirement sheet and rules but cannot find the prices at all

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Those battalions don’t have matched play points.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Any AoS podcasts you guys would recommend? Preferably one with a more competitive focus.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

Any AoS podcasts you guys would recommend? Preferably one with a more competitive focus.

I was listening to Scruby and Wells until every other episode was about Sylvaneth.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another new short story

https://malignportents.com/story/the-clockmakers-tale/

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

I have a feeling that the GW Studio Preview at Adepticon will shed some light on these rumors...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

From Warhammer Community also:

Reminds me of the squid helmet from the Dark Elf Corsairs. Could some of those units be shifting into the new faction?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just hope teclis is a crab wizard god now

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The rumor is that Teclis abandon them because they weren't pretty enough. They supposedly have a lasting grudge with the Sylvaneth and High Elves over this.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there any reason to not include the musician and standard bearer guys when playing matched play? I never see them called out specifically when I look at other people's army lists, but they don't cost points afaict so I'm not sure why you just wouldn't always include them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The rumor is that Teclis abandon them because they weren't pretty enough. They supposedly have a lasting grudge with the Sylvaneth and High Elves over this.

Well that kind of seems dickish and out of character for Teclis.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Or possibly it was because they apparently need to suck out people's souls to live? I dunno.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Another battle report but with no photos I guess. Three way fight between my Stormcast, some Gutbusters and Khorne. Ogres are horseshit but the real danger was not paying attention to the enormous horde of Khorne until it was too late. RIP.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well I kind of oversimplified for comedic effect. When Teclis, Tyrion, Morathi and whatever Malekith's new name is imprisoned Slaanesh they each took a quarter of the recovered elven souls to repopulate their people's. On a chunk of the recovered souls the taint of chaos was too strong and they've been permanently warped. That's why DoK have Melusai and Khinerai. Presumably some of Teclis' souls bore the taint as well, so when he tried to reforge them in the image of the elves from the coastal regions of Lothien they ended up grotesque.

This is all just guesswork based on the new lore from DoK, but Teclis does have a history of ruthless calculus so it doesn't seem too far fetched.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that an Elvish God would be a dick or have dickish tendencies. All the AoS Gods are flawed somehow - Sigmar threw a strop and let entire realms burn.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well I kind of oversimplified for comedic effect. When Teclis, Tyrion, Morathi and whatever Malekith's new name is imprisoned Slaanesh they each took a quarter of the recovered elven souls to repopulate their people's. On a chunk of the recovered souls the taint of chaos was too strong and they've been permanently warped. That's why DoK have Melusai and Khinerai. Presumably some of Teclis' souls bore the taint as well, so when he tried to reforge them in the image of the elves from the coastal regions of Lothien they ended up grotesque.

This is all just guesswork based on the new lore from DoK, but Teclis does have a history of ruthless calculus so it doesn't seem too far fetched.

That's not quite right. The Melusai and Khinerai are deliberately grotesque, they're Morathi's chosen and are designed for murder after all. The Chaos tainted souls only started to show up after Morathi's lil' modification to the trickle of Aelf souls being extracted from Slaanesh kicked in, giving us the Doomfire Warlocks and whatever monsters Malerion has cooked up.

The DoK book makes it sound like the Deepkin abandoned the Aelven gods for some reason and that's why Teclis disowned them, hence their grudge against the Aelven pantheon.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SteelMentor posted:

That's not quite right. The Melusai and Khinerai are deliberately grotesque, they're Morathi's chosen and are designed for murder after all. The Chaos tainted souls only started to show up after Morathi's lil' modification to the trickle of Aelf souls being extracted from Slaanesh kicked in, giving us the Doomfire Warlocks and whatever monsters Malerion has cooked up.

The DoK book makes it sound like the Deepkin abandoned the Aelven gods for some reason and that's why Teclis disowned them, hence their grudge against the Aelven pantheon.

Was working off of this quote: "As a result of the taint of Slaanesh, many aelven souls are permanently marred or twisted and, in physical form, mirror the vile Daemons of the Great Enemy. "

Morathi's time inside Slaanesh was what warped her into the snake form.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 15, 2018

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

zeal posted:

i just hope teclis is a crab wizard god now

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Milotic posted:

I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that an Elvish God would be a dick or have dickish tendencies. All the AoS Gods are flawed somehow - Sigmar threw a strop and let entire realms burn.

I'll have you know that all of the Chaos gods are perfect in their own special way :colbert:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WE WANT BATTLE-CRABS
clap-clap-clapclapclap

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
If the sea monster faction is cool I am gonna have a real hard time not spending lots and lots of money

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
I'm looking for the flaming sword from the plastic Empire Wizard/ Battlemage box for a kitbash and hoping to avoid buying the entire kit if possible. Any chance someone has a spare they're willing to part with?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another new short story https://malignportents.com/story/rodbuls-last-fight/

Starring a Tavern Fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Are stormfiends supposed to go on 60mm bases?

• Locked thread