Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

What the hell? It’s slightly distressing that it’s only about 3 days for the 6 digit code to be broken. Brb, setting up pass phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

DH implementations aren't looking so hot these days so I'd probably drop them entirely for ECDH, there are very few clients that support DH that don't also support ECDH and if its legacy RSA is still an ok fallback. We'll see what's going on with curve availability, hopefully MS starts adding some additional modern curves instead of just x25519

i disabled DH on several of our servers because as i understand you can't change DH params with schannel so disabling DH is the only way to mitigate that DH vulnerability whose name escapes me.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Avenging_Mikon posted:

What the hell? It’s slightly distressing that it’s only about 3 days for the 6 digit code to be broken. Brb, setting up pass phrase.

I mean that's only 1,000,000 combinations to run through. three days gives a rate of slightly under four guesses per second which is pretty drat terrible.

a six digit alphanumeric passphrase not in its dictionary of commonly used words would take about 225 years on average to crack at that rate.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Yeah, it’s just I swapped to 6 from 4 like 3 months ago because I started taking security more seriously for my own stuff. And then this put in stark relief how that was still insufficient. So, now over 10 characters.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

quote:

For most people in the US, law enforcement agents are people to be trusted.

firstly, nope

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
what seems strange is that it "processes" the phone while disconnected. wonder if there is some firmware bug that they're exploiting and that the device will stop working once apple become aware of the exact bug and patch it

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ymgve posted:

what seems strange is that it "processes" the phone while disconnected. wonder if there is some firmware bug that they're exploiting and that the device will stop working once apple become aware of the exact bug and patch it

Going to guess that apple has bought one or more of the devices and are working out how it works. Would not be surprised if Google bought a few as well to see what they can learn from it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

yes to both i imagine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zil posted:

Going to guess that apple has bought one or more of the devices and are working out how it works. Would not be surprised if Google bought a few as well to see what they can learn from it.

i doubt they'd sell it to apple or anyone within like 5 degrees of separation of apple, hell it's probably like a stingray where you're not even allowed to look at the thing from across the room if you're not enough of a cop. not that apple can't find ways around it, but it'd probably take time is all

and yeah i guarantee apple will eventually patch whatever bug they're exploiting and these will become $30k bricks :allears:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
not sure exactly who's hosed up here but someone has...

quote:

The chief executive of a company that created highly-secure smartphones allegedly used by some of the world's most notorious criminals has been indicted.

Canadian-based Phantom Secure made "tens of millions of dollars" selling the modified Blackberry devices for use by the likes of the Sinaloa Cartel, investigators said.

like, i know the war on drugs is hosed but i'm assuming to make these charges stick this company must have been specifically reaching out to the cartels?

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

not sure exactly who's hosed up here but someone has...

like, i know the war on drugs is hosed but i'm assuming to make these charges stick this company must have been specifically reaching out to the cartels?

motherboard seems to have broke the story a week ago and it seems like the company was specifically created to provide telecom security to the Sinaloa Cartel.

features:
-removed camera, mic, gps
- added pgp encryption and servers in Panama and other countries not complying with US requests
- remote wipe capabilities

how to get busted by the Mounties:

- assure anyone who asks, that it's safe to send messages such as "I have an MDMA delivery for you"
- assist your new customer when they tell you their buddies phone needs to be wiped because he's been busted

-
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a34b7b/phantom-secure-sinaloa-drug-cartel-encrypted-blackberry

Media Bloodbath fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 16, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

anandtech did an interview with cts labs. IC and DK are the anandtech interviewers in this snippet

quote:

IC: It was stated that, and I quote, that ‘this is probably as bad as it gets in the world of security’. These vulnerabilities are secondary attack vectors and require admin level access and they also do not work in virtualized environments (because you can’t update a BIOS or chip firmware from a virtual machine) without having metal access which is typically impossible in a VM environment. What makes these worse than primary level exploits that give admin access?

ILO: I think that this is an important question. I will give you my opinion. I think that the idea that this requires local admin privileges that it doesn’t matter in a sense because the vector already has the access to the files. What I think that is particularly bad about this secondary attack is that it lets put malware in hardware, such as the secure processor, which has the highest privileges in the system. You are sitting there and you can get to all memory sectors and so from there you can stay undetected by antiviruses, and if the user reinstalls the operating system or formats the hard-drive you still stay there.

So if you think about attaching that to the routine attack, a primary attack, this thing can let an attacker stay there and conduct espionage and sit there indefinitely. Now put yourself in the shoes of a person who discovers that an attack was using this tool and they need to decide what to do now, so they are basically guessing which machine to throw out. That’s one I think kind of degree of severity.

The other is the lateral movement issue as you probably read in our whitepaper: the idea that you can break the virtualization of where the credentials are stored, where the Windows Credentials are in Windows 10. From this an attacker can move laterally in the network – I think it that it is obvious that one of the major barriers to lateral movement is breaking the distinction between software and hardware. If you think about this not as a private user but as an organization that is facing an attack, this is very scary stuff to think that hackers can have the tools of this kind. This is why I think the language is not hyperbole.

IC: Most enterprise level networks are built upon systems that rely on virtual machines (VMs), or use thin clients to access VMs. In this circumstance no OS has bare metal access due to the hypervisor unless the system is already compromised…

ILO: Can I stop you there? That is not correct. That is entirely incorrect. We are talking about companies. You know we have a company here – imagine you had a company with four floors with workstations for employees that run Windows and sometimes you have a domain environment on the network….

IC: Those are desktop systems, I specified enterprise.

ILO: Yeah, this is enterprise, this is a company. As I said it has four floors with computers inside. They may be running Ryzen Pro workstations. They may have a Microsoft Windows Domain server, maybe a file server, and what we are talking about here is lateral movement inside corporate networks like this one. This is ABC, this is what happens on TSX all over the world with reports about how Chinese hackers behave when they hack US companies and this is how it looks like.

IC: What do you suppose the market penetration is of Ryzen based corporate work deployments?

ILO: Well you know they are trying to push hard into this market right now but my own estimate - I don’t know I haven’t done the market research – but the market penetration is not very high. Hopefully it will stay this way until these issues have been resolved as it puts the network at risk.

YLZ: I think that if you look at the market penetration – I have done more market research on this – and I think that analysts are now estimating that by 2020 that AMD will have 10% worldwide server market share. That is in two years. That is quite a few computers out there.

IC: But that is server market share – based mostly on VM oriented systems.

DK: Bare metal access to servers is a different animal. If you take the deployments of Azure, even if you have root privileges, you are still running virtualized. Servers are different to desktops.

ILO: Regarding servers, the main impact – let us say you are customer of Microsoft Azure that is integrating EPYC servers right now. You have a virtual machine on the server and that is all you have. To be honest with you, in that particular situation the vulnerabilities do not help you very much. However if a server gets compromised and the cloud provider is relying on secure virtualization to segregate customer data by encrypting memory, and someone runs an exploit on your server and breaks into the SP, they could tamper with this mechanism and this mechanism. I think this is one of main reasons to integrate EPYC servers into the data center – it is the feature that EPYC servers offer to cloud features, and that feature can be broken if someone gets access to the secure processor.

YLZ: We’re talking about the cloud specifically, rather than servers in your data center, then the secure processor can be taken over with very high privileges. So I think it is a huge detail.

YLZ: As much as it is a pleasure talking to you we have time for only a few more questions.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12536/our-interesting-call-with-cts-labs

Condiv fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 16, 2018

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

"So, isn't this flaw with suitcases a bit less serious because by the time you can exploit it, you have unlocked it and can steal the contents?"

"Yeah, but you could MODIFY THE SUITCASE"

"Okay, let's talk about enterprises."

"FLOORS OF SUITCASES!"

"...but enterprises use lockboxes in vaults"

"Yes, enterprises have FLOORS OF SUITCASES!"

I'm new to this, but is my interpretation correct here?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Cocoa Crispies posted:

some sectors see availability as more important than security, which makes sense when you think of lost of big business security consulting/systems/products that just neglect availability (one of the CIA services) when not purposely shithousing it

If those dipshits really valued availability then they would be standardizing on code signing/applocker or similar technologies so only known, trusted code executes in the environment. Instead they use the shield of "UPTIME UPTIME UPTIME" to not do any loving due diligence and make a trivially exploitable target despite there being plenty of controls that align with their operating model. The energy sector is a joke and its going to get people killed when someone does a concerted effort to attack it

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 16, 2018

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Condiv posted:

anandtech did an interview with cts labs. IC and DK are the anandtech interviewers in this snippet

quote:

ILO: Yeah, this is enterprise, this is a company. As I said it has four floors with computers inside. They may be running Ryzen Pro workstations. They may have a Microsoft Windows Domain server, maybe a file server, and what we are talking about here is lateral movement inside corporate networks like this one. This is ABC, this is what happens on TSX all over the world with reports about how Chinese hackers behave when they hack US companies and this is how it looks like.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12536/our-interesting-call-with-cts-labs
i must have missed something where did they ever describe an exploit focused on lateral movement? all of the exploits are focused on persistence, or secret extraction well past where network credentials would normally be protected

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

If those dipshits really valued availability then they would be standardizing on code signing/applocker or similar technologies so only known, trusted code executes in the environment. Instead they use the shield of "UPTIME UPTIME UPTIME" to not do any loving due diligence and make a trivially exploitable target despite there being plenty of controls that align with their operating model. The energy sector is a joke and its going to get people killed when someone does a concerted effort to attack it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BurntCornMuffin posted:

"So, isn't this flaw with suitcases a bit less serious because by the time you can exploit it, you have unlocked it and can steal the contents?"

"Yeah, but you could MODIFY THE SUITCASE"

"Okay, let's talk about enterprises."

"FLOORS OF SUITCASES!"

"...but enterprises use lockboxes in vaults"

"Yes, enterprises have FLOORS OF SUITCASES!"

I'm new to this, but is my interpretation correct here?

the persistence thing would be genuinely alarming.... ...but nobody uses amd chips for anything so it's moot

not so much "floors of suitcases" as "zero suitcases found in the wild"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i must have missed something where did they ever describe an exploit focused on lateral movement? all of the exploits are focused on persistence, or secret extraction well past where network credentials would normally be protected
[/quote]

i don't think they did until someone pointed out "that's not actually that interesting" and they went "b-b-but what if you use it to hack other things!"

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

i'm not going to touch the poop but I hope they're doing some additional verification that the turbotax user matches the robinhood user whose documents are being requested, because lol at that authentication procedure

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

they didn't publicly, in their original private release they effectively PoC'd mimikatz on systems with virtualization based security (most new computers)

this "lateral movement" one is just a credential guard defeat. these guys sort of suck at marketing their own exploits... I wonder if they just stole them from the Israeli military or something

Daman fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 16, 2018

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ymgve posted:

my guess is that it jailbreaks and installs some brute force script so that you can run on a bunch of devices at once.

double ultra paranoid mode: there's an exploit that lets them bypass password protection entirely, it just has an artificial delay that they let certain clients skip

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

vOv posted:

my guess is that it jailbreaks and installs some brute force script so that you can run on a bunch of devices at once.

yeah that's what I'm guessing. it's probably triggering DFU mode or something similar and installing a fake patch that either bypasses limits on queries to the secure enclave or uses the phone gpu/cpu to crack itself. the description of unplugging the phone and then taking hours or days to get a password makes it sound like it's not doing anything particularly clever beyond gaining the ability to run unsigned code; an exclave exfil exploit would not require that kind of time

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i'm curious if it can bypass the '10 tries and the phone wipes' thing, i have no clue what level that's implemented at

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

vOv posted:

i'm curious if it can bypass the '10 tries and the phone wipes' thing, i have no clue what level that's implemented at

my guess is that theyve figured out a low level code injection that does the race condition PIN check thing that people were loving with last year, just fire and forget and let that run

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

my guess is that theyve figured out a low level code injection that does the race condition PIN check thing that people were loving with last year, just fire and forget and let that run
That's what I thought when I saw the M.O. too

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

that or they stole a cert from apple. which would be hilarious.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Midjack posted:

that or they stole a cert from apple. which would be hilarious.

It wouldn't be so slow in that case.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

apseudonym posted:

if they're selling to cops then they absolutely have to make it slower than it actually is

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

if they're selling to cops then they absolutely have to make it slower than it actually is

I’m sure the 3 days number is variable, but it’s at least nice that it would be time for an emergency defence motion to be processed

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Media Bloodbath posted:

motherboard seems to have broke the story a week ago and it seems like the company was specifically created to provide telecom security to the Sinaloa Cartel.

features:
-removed camera, mic, gps
- added pgp encryption and servers in Panama and other countries not complying with US requests
- remote wipe capabilities

how to get busted by the Mounties:

- assure anyone who asks, that it's safe to send messages such as "I have an MDMA delivery for you"
- assist your new customer when they tell you their buddies phone needs to be wiped because he's been busted

-
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a34b7b/phantom-secure-sinaloa-drug-cartel-encrypted-blackberry

lol okay fair enough, at least have the sense to pretend like you're just selling to privacy-minded individuals scared of corporate espionage rather than literally making dealerphone 1.0

intrigued they based it on blackberry - just a convenient choice or is the fact they were always meant to be used in corp environments helpful?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

goddamnedtwisto posted:

lol okay fair enough, at least have the sense to pretend like you're just selling to privacy-minded individuals scared of corporate espionage rather than literally making dealerphone 1.0

intrigued they based it on blackberry - just a convenient choice or is the fact they were always meant to be used in corp environments helpful?

yes, basically blackberrys were designed to be easy to lock down and manage centrally. they also have pgp and s/mime stuff built into the standard messaging client with an idiot proof user interface so you can handle everything on private servers relatively easily and do things like completely block all non-encrypted email, which is probably attractive to this customer set.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

oh yeah i vaguely remember something about that? like you shut it off immediately after the check fails but before it increments the counter

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

apseudonym posted:

not necessarily, the Secure Enclave is supposedly set up so the hardware has no ability to output the UID key without running it through the key derivation function, and stuff online says apple set the number of rounds in the kdf run by the SE processor to take ~100ms per guess.

only thing apple could do is update the firmware to remove the code that counts the number of failed attempts and to read the passcodes to try from a premade list, which seems to be exactly what this device does.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

vOv posted:

oh yeah i vaguely remember something about that? like you shut it off immediately after the check fails but before it increments the counter

yeah. they were putting a transistor on the Vcc line from the battery so they could cut the power super fast

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Adrian Lamo died.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Lain Iwakura posted:

Yeah. I am sorry. I wish it didn't. I'll be writing the slides into a blog post hopefully soon. I am in the midst of moving so I have some stuff on my plate

No worries, it's still a pretty decent talk and I was able to learn a lot from it. Looking forward to the blog post.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Adrian Lamo died.

More like lmao

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ohgodwhat posted:

More like lmao

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah I don't think anyone here will shed any tears over him. Although it's hosed up for someone to die at 37.

It could also be some really hosed up April fool's prank idk.

e: nvm ZDNet confirmed it

http://www.zdnet.com/article/adrian-lamo-hacker-dies/

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

not necessarily, the Secure Enclave is supposedly set up so the hardware has no ability to output the UID key without running it through the key derivation function, and stuff online says apple set the number of rounds in the kdf run by the SE processor to take ~100ms per guess.

only thing apple could do is update the firmware to remove the code that counts the number of failed attempts and to read the passcodes to try from a premade list, which seems to be exactly what this device does.

you can't update the firmware without the PIN, unless Apple really screwed something up or is lying

• Locked thread