Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lt. Danger posted:

okay now someone defend the vampires

ghosts are canon in fallout universe don't see why vampires cant be there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be totally fair, it's more obvious with Fallout 3 because there's deliberate efforts in Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas to cover the agriculture issue - much of A lot of the Hub's wealth comes from its farms and herds exporting food all over the place, and there are cattle drives up and down the NCR in Fallout 2. And in Fallout NV a major factor for the NCR expansion and settlement of Mojave is to farm the area because they know they're going to be facing shortages soon if they don't do something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Wolfsheim posted:

Now you can walk across the Mojave desert...in real time! Wallow in the immersion of taking 10+ actual hours to walk from the Hoover Dam to Vegas!

I too love games where every generic enemy location can be turned into a home base and each has a unique quest to do so, such as ...

And who could forget ...

I'm not looking for every major one, but stuff like 'here's a major enemy faction with ties to multiple companions, maybe we should do something with it' is pretty low hanging fruit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Byzantine posted:

tldr; "where's the farms?!"

"there are no farms because the water is poisoned, hence the main quest, Liam Neeson says this to your face"

"BUT WHERES THE FAAAAARMMMMSSS"

Yeah, and logically they shouldn't have been able to last for loving 200 years the way they are.

Again, Fallout's not a "realistic" series. It has you fighting giant ants with plasma rifles and your robot buddies. But all the non-Bethesda games actually put effort into making the game world seem like an immersive world. They had to shrink stuff down from real scale because of memory constraints, but you still have stuff like farms, water pipelines, power plants, interstate trade, etc. It's not realism, just logical consistency.

Fallout 3 just falls apart completely when you look at it even a little closely. 200 years is a really long time, but people are still living in scrap metal shacks in a blasted rocky wasteland and eating packaged food old enough to count as a historical artifact as if the war was a few weeks ago.

It makes even less sense because the Elder Scrolls games all have this stuff, so we know they can actually consider it and build a world that has it. They just don't when it comes to Fallout and it comes off as lazy.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Keeshhound posted:

Honestly that's (marginally) less of an issue than that there's anything left to be found at all. Even with a drastically reduced population it's really hard to believe they didn't run out by year 20.

I like the detail of The Great Winter occuring 20 years after the bombs, which killed off many of the suvivors due to failing crops. The idea that there were societies that somewhat functioned after the blasts, before collapsing again due to crops failing, does help to explain why some parts of the country, like the big cities, never was really rebuilt, and why previously nuked areas are just now being resettled, as it becomes clean enough. If people who survived the blasts and fallout moved away before everything was looted, to just succumb to starvation before people were able to move back, would leave some resources to be found 200 years after, but even that way, its a its all a bit of a longshot to find almost fully stacked malls.

Edit: Apparently The Great Winter happened 50 years after the bombs, not 20 years. And The Long Winter appears to be a Fallout/Pony fictions, so better not refer to it as that again. :v:

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 16, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

isndl posted:

Some day we might get our sandbox in full scale and it will be glorious as we spend literal days trekking through wilderness and starving to death because we turned on survival mode.

I meant to say this earlier (maybe I did and forgot) but when someone mentioned that updating Fallout 3 to 4 was like updating Daggerfall to Oblivion, that just struck me as absolutely bafflingly awful. Just endless empty miles and potato faces.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I don't think it's even necessarily about consistency or immersion or whatever, but a more general sense of 'authenticity'. Farms and supply lines are present in New Vegas because the story as a whole is about the clash of empires over territory and the strains and tensions inherent to that. Fallout 3 is ostensibly about bringing new life to the Capital Wasteland but the actual game world is more a grab-bag of disconnected post-apocalyptic micro-stories - folk tales in the vein of Mad Max if you're charitable, a theme park if you're not. And of course sometimes the stories aren't even post-apocalyptic at all: the vampires, the Lovecraft references, the superheroes.

Of course, Fallout 3 is actually about reintroducing the intellectual property to a new audience, so...

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kinda like the Lovecraft references. :negative:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lt. Danger posted:

I don't think it's even necessarily about consistency or immersion or whatever, but a more general sense of 'authenticity'. Farms and supply lines are present in New Vegas because the story as a whole is about the clash of empires over territory and the strains and tensions inherent to that. Fallout 3 is ostensibly about bringing new life to the Capital Wasteland but the actual game world is more a grab-bag of disconnected post-apocalyptic micro-stories - folk tales in the vein of Mad Max if you're charitable, a theme park if you're not. And of course sometimes the stories aren't even post-apocalyptic at all: the vampires, the Lovecraft references, the superheroes.

Of course, Fallout 3 is actually about reintroducing the intellectual property to a new audience, so...

The way I've heard it described is that Fallout 3 and 4 are basically theme parks, where nothing is actually a connected world and they just throw in random "interesting things" like darts on a dartboard.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also I've noticed how after adding stuff to Fallout 3 that may or may not make a ton of sense but were at least neat references to do once, they kept doing it in Fallout 4 and sometimes made it even more extreme. The Children of Atom go from four or five people in one town to having an entire settlement in the most irradiated part of the wasteland. One quest with some minor Lovecraftian references now gets multiple, including immortal people using alien artifacts that are literally magic. A museum about the old world satirizing worship of a distorted historical America turns into the entire population of Boston cosplaying the Revolutionary War or baseball teams. Super mutants being common because of a vault experiment in the Capitol Wasteland turns into super mutants filling the streets as mooks that even a first level Sole Survivor can kill armies of.

An old Star Wars vs. Star Trek website by Michael Wong, stardestroyer.net, talked about this problem in sci-fi and called it a "brain bug". It was about things like the Ferengi starting out as a serious alien race that occasionally displayed greed and turning into actual worshipers of money and mercantile business, or someone going into the Jefferies tubes to fix a problem once and later seasons having practically all maintenance take place in these cramped tubes. One kinda iconic thing gets latched on and distorted until it's all you have.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
To be fair NV isn't immune to that phenomenom, Jacobstown and Marcus as a whole dont contribute much to the larger story at all, and in fact Marcus' story is just "good guy mutant! Wants to make a peaceful mutant town! Again!"

Seemed like it was just an excuse for obsidian to get to see Michael Dorn again. Which I can absolutely understand.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

To be fair NV isn't immune to that phenomenom, Jacobstown and Marcus as a whole dont contribute much to the larger story at all, and in fact Marcus' story is just "good guy mutant! Wants to make a peaceful mutant town! Again!"

Seemed like it was just an excuse for obsidian to get to see Michael Dorn again. Which I can absolutely understand.

It doesn't contribute a ton, but it at least makes sense compared to how Fallout 3 is structured. It's separate from the rest of the Mojave for good reason (super mutants and nightkin are so dangerous that humans avoid or actively persecute the ones who still maintain their intelligence and sanity), but they still show how they've got agriculture and water supplies so you can understand how they survive without trade. Fallout 3 probably would have just had them living in the lodge with 10 pre-war food items in the kitchen.

One interesting thing you can do when you meet the Boomers is to pass all the Speech checks with the historian kid as you ask him questions. It does a lot to establish how they do stuff like grow legumes to add protein in their diet without animal husbandry and use solar power to supplement their generators. And even though they're isolated and bomb anyone who gets close, Jack has managed to fall in love with a girl from afar because she came with the Crimson Caravan in their failed attempts to start trade. They're not total enigmas that nobody has even seen in person.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Randaconda posted:

I kinda like the Lovecraft references. :negative:

Well they don't lead anywhere particularly interesting, at least not in vanilla FO3 where the Dunwich Building basically ends as "and then the guy was a ghoul and I shot him."

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

An old Star Wars vs. Star Trek website by Michael Wong, stardestroyer.net, talked about this problem in sci-fi and called it a "brain bug". It was about things like the Ferengi starting out as a serious alien race that occasionally displayed greed and turning into actual worshipers of money and mercantile business, or someone going into the Jefferies tubes to fix a problem once and later seasons having practically all maintenance take place in these cramped tubes. One kinda iconic thing gets latched on and distorted until it's all you have.

The tubes were a set, once you build the drat thing you're stuck with it. The Ferengi were basically a failed villain concept that got reworked. There's a lot more of an excuse for this in TV where the assets are comparatively more expensive than they are in a game but lol Fallout 4

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lt. Danger posted:

It did strike me in Fallout 3 that the "main quests" for a bunch of locations aren't about, like, saving them at all. In Megaton you can choose to blow it up, or you can "save" it by choosing not to. Rivet City, the biggest quest I remember there was finding a historical document for their museum

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

2house2fly posted:

It did strike me in Fallout 3 that the "main quests" for a bunch of locations aren't about, like, saving them at all. In Megaton you can choose to blow it up, or you can "save" it by choosing not to. Rivet City, the biggest quest I remember there was finding a historical document for their museum

Also I found Rivet City kind of annoying to maneuver through, because all of the levels were nearly identical steel corridors. At least with one of the towns the layout is easy to figure out, but it's like a maze without anything really interesting to stumble upon.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Neurolimal posted:

I don't know that I'd agree with that. Jacobstown is definitely a side area, and now that I think about it it's kind of a shame that there wasn't a Side Bets subquest about asking them to take in Vegas evacuees during the dam showdown, but it also serves as an example of some of the shadier poo poo the NCR get up to, and it has Dr. Henry, who has a major role in both Rex and Arcade's personal quests.

It definitely didn't need Marcus, but like you said, I'm not gonna complain about more Michael Dorn, either.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's there for flavour, just like Black Mountain Radio. Doesn't affect anything but it does show there is more to the wasteland that is trying to live in separate but functional societies. (Though functional might not be the best word for the state of Utobitha)

And it carries the thematic weight of the old ways getting pushed to the boundaries. West Coast Brotherhood, Enclave Remnants, Khans and other FO1-2 gangs are all on the edge of extinction as humanity reasserts it's dominance in the west.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

chitoryu12 posted:

Also I've noticed how after adding stuff to Fallout 3 that may or may not make a ton of sense but were at least neat references to do once, they kept doing it in Fallout 4 and sometimes made it even more extreme. The Children of Atom go from four or five people in one town to having an entire settlement in the most irradiated part of the wasteland. One quest with some minor Lovecraftian references now gets multiple, including immortal people using alien artifacts that are literally magic. A museum about the old world satirizing worship of a distorted historical America turns into the entire population of Boston cosplaying the Revolutionary War or baseball teams. Super mutants being common because of a vault experiment in the Capitol Wasteland turns into super mutants filling the streets as mooks that even a first level Sole Survivor can kill armies of.

Yeah. Also, Liberty Prime is funny in fo3 but then he sucks in fo4. Etc

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Neurolimal posted:

What about the doctor dude that lives there? The one that you can use to perform surgery on Rex, or help Lily, that also comes up later in the story? At least Jacobstown is an actual town, with like, houses and poo poo. Fallout 3 had TWO loving towns and I'm still mad about that to this day.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

I completely forgot that they brought Liberty Prime back! The big, dramatic ending with funny anti-communist quotes and they just...repeat it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What about the doctor dude that lives there? The one that you can use to perform surgery on Rex, or help Lily, that also comes up later in the story? At least Jacobstown is an actual town, with like, houses and poo poo. Fallout 3 had TWO loving towns and I'm still mad about that to this day.

Didn't 4 also?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

corn in the bible posted:

From a gameplay perspective he was pretty poo poo in both. "For the game's finale, you will... Follow an invincible giant robot as he literally nukes your enemies out of existence. Isn't this exciting!?"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

They're not entirely disconnected, but they're definitely a nostalgic "remember this?" thing. As-is their biggest contributions are being where you recruit Lily and where the doctor trying to cure nightkin (who could have been at Utobitha with some rewriting) resides.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Henry had been at utobitha we wouldn't have gotten Raul's comments on the radio.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Henry has to be at Jacobstown because he's also a Fallout 2 ref

E: Hello, Raul! Or should that be... HHHOLA!

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 16, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Neurolimal posted:

They're not entirely disconnected, but they're definitely a nostalgic "remember this?" thing. As-is their biggest contributions are being where you recruit Lily and where the doctor trying to cure nightkin (who could have been at Utobitha with some rewriting) resides.

You do know that Utobitha is the result of Tabitha inciting a revolt against Marcus after the mutant's first tried settling there, right? That's why Niel is watching them and warning people away; Marcus stationed him there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I found the idiot super mutants in Jacobstown to be weirdly cute. They're like big dumb babies when they aren't trying to murder you.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ApeHawk posted:

I would not trust Bethesda to remaster New Vegas.

Skyrim Special Edition is literally just Skyrim, with no mechanical changes, ported to the newer engine with all its graphical and stability improvements. New Vegas Special Edition would probably be similarly fine.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

You do know that Utobitha is the result of Tabitha inciting a revolt against Marcus after the mutant's first tried settling there, right? That's why Niel is watching them and warning people away; Marcus stationed him there.

I know. That's why I specified "with some rewriting".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I found the idiot super mutants in Jacobstown to be weirdly cute. They're like big dumb babies when they aren't trying to murder you.

Keene was more interesting than I thought. He definitely needed more dialogue, because he has the usual nightkin voice but also has his human intelligence and charisma. It's a real shock when you think he's just another crazy nightkin who hates you and suddenly he's actually intimidating and well-spoken.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

chitoryu12 posted:

Keene was more interesting than I thought. He definitely needed more dialogue, because he has the usual nightkin voice but also has his human intelligence and charisma. It's a real shock when you think he's just another crazy nightkin who hates you and suddenly he's actually intimidating and well-spoken.

That quest annoyed me because it's one of the few that can only get a good resolution via a high-level Speech check, whereas most of NV is good about either putting in more legwork or having a high Barter or Science or something to help resolve things instead. A rare miss.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Was there any way to get Cas as companion besides a one time attempt 75 speech check?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Katt posted:

Was there any way to get Cas as companion besides a one time attempt 75 speech check?

Several ways, actually. My favourite is that with a high endurance stat you can challenge her to a drinking match and beat her after downing five 40oz Whiskeys.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Katt posted:

quote:

* With a Barter skill of 50, you can choose to sweeten the deal by throwing in an extra 750 caps.

* With a Barter skill of 75, you can challenge her to a drinking contest. You will need to acquire twelve bottles of whiskey. (The dialogue will vary depending on the player's Endurance and alcohol addiction status, but the outcome is always the same: she will agree to sell.)

* With a Speech skill of 50, you can suggest that the outpost is a pretty terrible place to be trapped. Cass will agree, but Ranger Jackson won't allow her to leave. You can earn Jackson's agreement by performing the job he assigns to you.

* With a Speech skill of 75, you can persuade her by telling her that she's responsible for the destruction of her caravan.

I'm okay with not being able to access everything or the best endings without certain skill levels. Raising your Speech to 100 by the time you hit Jacobstown should be par for the course anyway.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neurolimal posted:

I strongly disagree with this, mostly because I played New Vegas without having played Fallout 1 and 2. Jacobstown is the best kind of reference, the kind that seems perfectly natural in the world even if you don't know what it's referencing. If you go into the game not even knowing what a Super mutant is it's nice to find a place that explains "What are these terrifying blue things that keep trying to kill me and seem to have severe schizophrenia?" It fleshes out the world and gives a lot of backstory that not everyone needs, but is nice to be able to find in game without having to consult a wiki.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I strongly disagree with this, mostly because I played New Vegas without having played Fallout 1 and 2. Jacobstown is the best kind of reference, the kind that seems perfectly natural in the world even if you don't know what it's referencing. If you go into the game not even knowing what a Super mutant is it's nice to find a place that explains "What are these terrifying blue things that keep trying to kill me and seem to have severe schizophrenia?" It fleshes out the world and gives a lot of backstory that not everyone needs, but is nice to be able to find in game without having to consult a wiki.

I do like that you can actually clue into the nightkin as early as Fallout 3 where it mentions that constant Stealth Boy use can result in mental degradation. If you remember that, you'll encounter invisible super mutants and could be able to put two and two together.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

okay now someone defend the vampires

They're not vampires, they're cannibals whose leader has latched onto vampire lore.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Even as a Fallout 3 fan I won't pretend the vampire quest isn't dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Byzantine posted:

They're not vampires, they're cannibals whose leader has latched onto vampire lore.

no one has an inherent irresistable urge to eat human flesh. that is not how it works! it is a nonsense