Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Synthbuttrange posted:

The bridge is just a lot lower now.

Ys is just worried about the Court's infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Darth TNT posted:

Now we can build a new bridge. It will be bigger and better than before.
I think that's what's happening.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Am I interpreting the page wrong, or did that whole stunt just dam the river?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Inglonias posted:

That's how I saw it too.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Inglonias posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the cliff face in the last panel, although that much rubble really ought to have dammed it anyway.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, but it's a really small dam of a river with steep walls. It's gonna fill up and overflow quickly with minimal affect on the surroundings.

Was all this done for the benefit of the beavers?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

maswastaken posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the cliff face in the last panel, although that much rubble really ought to have dammed it anyway.

I thought the Annan river was supposed to be actually really, really wide, just also really, really deep in the gorge; guess it was more of a big moat all along

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
well Coyote may not have dammed the river but it sure looks like he damned the court!!!!!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I thought the Annan river was supposed to be actually really, really wide, just also really, really deep in the gorge; guess it was more of a big moat all along

It is really really wide. The hole in the side of that cliff has to be enormous. Everything about the Annan waters is huge, which makes conveying it's scale difficult. It makes me appreciate more the times I've seen people get that sense of scale right.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

We've seen exactly how big the hole is, though, relative to stuff we know the scale of. It's pretty big, solid A grade hole, but it's not like grand-canyon-filllingly enormous. This reads as, like, the river is actually maybe a tad wider than a six-lane highway.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Big? The hole is only about one hand wide.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

We've seen exactly how big the hole is, though, relative to stuff we know the scale of. It's pretty big, solid A grade hole, but it's not like grand-canyon-filllingly enormous. This reads as, like, the river is actually maybe a tad wider than a six-lane highway.

Look at the first panel of this page. Look at the treeline, especially the brown strip where you can see the trees' trunks. There's your scale. That's a huge-rear end landslide.

The last panel is the one where the scale is iffy. You can see the coasts on either side of the river, and they're supposed to be pretty wide, but the river itself, and its dirsuption, looks like water does at a way smaller scale.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 17, 2018

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Inglonias posted:

Not only that, but it was caused by some form of deity!

:sbahj:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I figure we're getting a page like this but with the Court authorities instead

Annie is going to have to brew a lot of tea

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I wonder if Ysengrin is even going to make a serious effort to attack the Court, or if this is all just more baring his fangs? He wants to show the humans how weak they really are - he never said he wants to destroy or rule them, just assert the power of him and his kind. The bridge is a natural target for that - the passage between the Court and the Forest has always controlled by the Court, but now Ysengrin has taken it over and destroyed it. Now anyone wishing to travel between the two will be on the Forest's terms.

But we already know the Court doesn't respond to that sort of posturing. They're more pragmatic; they don't care if anyone respects their power, and they're not interested in acknowledging anyone else's. They've got their own agendas, whatever those might be, and they don't seem to view the conflict between the two sides in the same way, if they view it as a conflict at all. They seem to treat threats from the forest as more like diseases than weapons; their destructive power both mindless and blameless, just a problem to be worked around. Their progenitors might once have seen the Forest as a more direct threat - see the whole Jeanne matter - but the modern Court seems to look at it as just wildlife. I suspect the Court management would look at this development no differently than if a natural landslide destroyed that bridge. And going by Coyote's assertion that etheric beings don't truly, independently exist, they might not be wrong.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

They refer to Ysengrin as "General" and sure seemed to respond to Coyote's posturing with that building; it's not clear that they have any kind of organised means of response beyond Eglamore but their relationship with the forest has all the trappings of formal diplomacy between countries. And that sure isn't something the forest imposed; Coyote and Ysengrin blatantly hold all their ceremoniousness in contempt.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 17, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Maybe Renard can body-swap with Super Ysen.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

They refer to Ysengrin as "General" and sure seemed to respond to Coyote's posturing with that building; it's not clear that they have any kind of organised means of response beyond Eglamore but their relationship with the forest has all the trappings of formal diplomacy between countries. And that sure isn't something the forest imposed; Coyote and Ysengrin blatantly hold all their ceremoniousness in contempt.

At the same time, they have the school principle hold the meetings and use middle schoolers as ambassadors.

They took Coyote's promise not to interfere and their possibly-unknown murderghost protection for granted. Now those things are gone, things gonna get cray-cray.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Those robots with swords would be loving pumped to fight the forest animals.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did coyote knock down a building at some point or am I just having dreams about gunnerkrigg now. Was it a flashback?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Did coyote knock down a building at some point or am I just having dreams about gunnerkrigg now. Was it a flashback?

He did

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1568

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

I read the rest of the chapter as I tend to do and there's that moment with Grin and Annie when he pop's her stone and its weird to think that version of Grin wasn't "real".

And Rey's last line on this page:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1624

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 18, 2018

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

So after you linked this page and I clicked on it, I clicked on the next page, and the page after that, and I kept doing that until I got to this page because uhhhhh this maybe seems important now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

So after you linked this page and I clicked on it, I clicked on the next page, and the page after that, and I kept doing that until I got to this page because uhhhhh this maybe seems important now.

They will defeat Ysengrin by making him choke on a goose bone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Coyote's given his tooth to Annie, his bone to Smitty, his... waters to Parley, and his skin to Ys. He's quite distributed by now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MikeJF posted:

Coyote's given his tooth to Annie, his bone to Smitty, his... waters to Parley, and his skin to Ys. He's quite distributed by now.
Amazon Coyote Services

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BrightWing posted:

I read the rest of the chapter as I tend to do and there's that moment with Grin and Annie when he pop's her stone and its weird to think that version of Grin wasn't "real".

There has to be a way for them to get through to him. The Ysengrin that cares about Annie has to still exist.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Regy Rusty posted:

There has to be a way for them to get through to him. The Ysengrin that cares about Annie has to still exist.

why

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He may love Annie but his love for killing humans is stronger still.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BOOIIIINGS

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I wonder how long it's been since those seeds' first (and last) appearance until now. Ten years?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Seems like he planned it a lot better than we first thought.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ahahaha, he can fly? Oh my God I love this ridiculous dog. He's going to kill so many people, but I love him. I love his stupid face.

Terrifyingly powerful Gods with goofy designs are the best.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's not flying, he just has a trampoline.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

He's not flying, he just has a trampoline.

Tramampoline! Trambompaline!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

court knew what those were

what is this comic anymore

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Glare Seethe posted:

I wonder how long it's been since those seeds' first (and last) appearance until now. Ten years?

Their debut was sometime between July and September 2007.

I wonder if the Bound Dog will wake up as well.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
...Good god, I've been following this comic for over ten.years.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Think he'll make a go for Robot's arm, next?

I wonder if the court's Dryad can help deal with the plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That's some long game