Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The culmination of the M2000M saga, and ASRock's SFX boards, in co-operation with Wendell of Level1Techs :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXF7_cbdPHQ

It works! And to think I could have had a working M2000M this entire time if I had just thought to check the vBIOS.

A few things that we discovered that Wendell glossed over that I think are somewhat important to know if you’re trying this yourself:

* I'm sure that most of you are fairly level-headed about NVidia and their whole GPP thing, but if you're determined to fly off the handle and #boycottnvidia or some poo poo, Wendell and I were communicating back-and-forth on this LONG before Nvidia announced their GPP program. I have no reason to believe that AMD FirePro boards will not work, I just happened to have the M2000M on hand, and the K3100 was more easily obtained than an equivalent AMD FirePro board.

* HP is weird. I mean, you all probably knew that, but the M2000M’s BIOS was completely empty. Turns out that for HP, they store the VBIOS on the system board, alongside the system BIOS. If you get a board sourced from, or made for an HP laptop, you WILL need to flash it with a suitable VBIOS.

* The reports of the death of MXM are greatly exaggerated! But you may very likely see a lot less of them in the future. There’s an article I saw a ways back that opined that Nvidia was killing the MXM standard: Not true! The MXM standard will continue to exist as long as notebook manufacturers continue to find value in being able to have one system board, with an MXM slot to plug whatever different GPU you order on it.

* However: What NVidia is not doing any longer is providing reference layouts for MXM boards for their products, and indeed, some of the effects of this can be seen. For example, the most recent line of mobile Quadro chips, I have found, all at the low end, such as the M1200 (Yes, they started over their numbering, it’s dumb) are soldered onto the board, thus making it impossible for Wendell and I to source an up-to-date Quadro MXM board to test. One can probably expect the thin-and-light workstation laptops to move towards BGA solutions, while the beefier, desktop-replacement style workstation laptops to continue to use MXM boards. (Sadly, I do not have the wherewithal to drop $1,200 on a LAPTOP workstation GPU on a lark where we weren’t entirely sure if this entire experiment would work, let alone a desktop one!)

* Tangentially: I have already seen some of this happen in the case of my Dell 7577 that I’m using while I wait for GPU/RAM prices to unfuck themselves. My 1060 6GB is a BGA, soldered right onto the mainboard. I have no easy upgrade paths off this, much to my disappointment. (eGPU still remains an option, though I’m down on that based on TB3’s lack of bandwidth… but that’s too far a tangent here!)

If you’re interested in a Quadro-powered Deskmini, VOTE IN THE POLL! Despite having provided the hardware and some research material to Wendell, and basically being set to do this all on my own, I would still go with a warranty-supported solution as well, since these replacements are going to a work environment, not my own personal use.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Withnail posted:

I started buying parts for a nice build before I realized the gpu market was hosed. I just went ahead with the build and picked up a used 970 for a couple hundred bucks.

I wonder how cheap they'd be if it wasn't for this BS price fixing / gouging / mining that's going on.

Not trying to deflate your buy or anything. It sucks because I don't see the average games graphics requirements moving forward much at all any time soon.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Not trying to deflate your buy or anything. It sucks because I don't see the average games graphics requirements moving forward much at all any time soon.

This is purely me talking out of my mudhole, but I kind of feel like these days the differences between Medium and High aren't as large as they used to be.

I've been testing out BF1 on medium instead of high to keep my laptop temps down, and I must say, apart from a few things (smoke and shadows mainly) I really don't notice it at all.

E: Or maybe what it is is that medium tends to look so good now anyway that it doesn't negatively affect enjoyment anymore.

Like, I think I'll be moving from high end to mid range cards permanently once it comes time to upgrade this GTX 1080 if things continue the way they are.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 16, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
It's definitely true for high vs ultra that often it's a huge step up in needed GPU power for barely any discernible difference in visual quality.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just run high settings with my 1080ti. No difference to my 25/20 eyes but the fans run quiet.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

It's definitely true for high vs ultra that often it's a huge step up in needed GPU power for barely any discernible difference in visual quality.

Has this ever not been true though?

eames
May 9, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

This is purely me talking out of my mudhole, but I kind of feel like these days the differences between Medium and High aren't as large as they used to be.

MaxxBot posted:

I believe it's because games and game engines these days are designed to run well on consoles. That's where most of the fine tuning happens across the entire developer team (including artists and level designers) to find a performance/visual quality sweet spot. Performance of consoles is limited so that sweet spot gets ported to PC as the medium/high setting range.

Anything beyond that is often a relatively low-effort job that increases things like polygon mesh LOD, draw distance, tessellation, particle/hair effects, ambience occlusion and dynamic shadows well beyond what's noticeable and relevant during dynamic gameplay. Looks good on review and steam store screenshots though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hey guys. I have an XFX 7970 here and the noise it makes is incredibly loud. I've been meaning to do something about it for a while. I looked up aftermarket cooling for it, but the two or three options I found won't fit in the case (bitfenix prodigy). Are there any other options to deal with the noise issue, and if not what would be a good replacement card that won't be bottlenecked by my 3570k and 8gb of ram?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Unless it’s something like PUBG where even low settings are better than what’s on the XBone or XboneX.

Seriously it’s one of the worst performing console games I’ve ever seen.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The culmination of the M2000M saga, and ASRock's SFX boards, in co-operation with Wendell of Level1Techs :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXF7_cbdPHQ

That’s awesome! Glad you finally got it there. Really cool collaboration, too!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Hey guys. I have an XFX 7970 here and the noise it makes is incredibly loud. I've been meaning to do something about it for a while. I looked up aftermarket cooling for it, but the two or three options I found won't fit in the case (bitfenix prodigy). Are there any other options to deal with the noise issue, and if not what would be a good replacement card that won't be bottlenecked by my 3570k and 8gb of ram?

Mine popped a capacitor or something and I thought blew up the whole computer. The plus side is your next card is gonna sound so quiet. You can probably get a reasonable 1050ti pretty easily.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Sorry if this was a respost but da gently caress???

https://www.pcgamer.com/asrock-teaser-reinforces-rumor-its-getting-into-graphics-cards/

ASRock? Really?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/asrock-teaser-reinforces-rumor-its-getting-into-graphics-cards/

ASRock? Really?

What's so shocking about ASRock getting into making video cards? The other major mobo makers all do video cards too so it seems pretty normal to me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wirth1000 posted:

ASRock? Really?

Pretty sure it was revealed that it's all about MXM stuff for their minis, not discrete PCIe GPUs like Asus, MSI etc.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If anything it's a good thing that ASRock joins the GPU game because now we get to see some innovation. :getin:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

isndl posted:

If anything it's a good thing that ASRock joins the GPU game because now we get to see some innovation. :getin:

Single slot 1180ti here we come.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

didnt asrock used to make videocards for other brands? maybe im hallucinating that

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Wirth1000 posted:

ASRock? Really?

#blessed

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Incoming mITX board from Asrock with a GTX1080Ti crazy glued to the back of the board with custom PCI-E traces connecting it. :getin:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im a big fan of ASrock mobos. I'd buy their gfx.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Single-slot low-profile Vega

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

redeyes posted:

:yeah:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

Single-slot low-profile Vega
24 cus would be mighty nice.

Wait, you mean 56? :gonk:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

24 cus would be mighty nice.

Wait, you mean 56? :gonk:

By 24 cus I'm assuming that's short for 24 customers.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Wonder what happened to the goon who bragged he could get an ampere card from his uncle who works at intel(?).

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Wonder what happened to the goon who bragged he could get an ampere card from his uncle who works at intel(?).

Being held in an Intel datacenter indefinitely.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

havenwaters posted:

Single slot 1180ti here we come.

Anime Schoolgirl just got incredibly aroused and doesn't know why.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

redeyes posted:

There was a time...

But I like them now too.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

redeyes posted:

Their server stuff is as rock solid as anything else, so why not

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Milkman posted:

It may be rock solid, but is it heart touching?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

coke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RrTRuGc6mg

christ the video was made 17 years ago

IIRC, 130nm Athlon XPs then became fully multiple unlocked until a certain week in 2003 where it becomes locked again, which makes little difference since nobody sane gets AMD buy past Barton 2500+ when there is FSB overclocking.

redeyes posted:

Their main claim to fame back in mid-00s was their cheap hybrid PCIe+AGP+DDR1+DDR2+PATA+SATA mobos. Which is pretty much the last Socket 7 era reminiscent schizophrenic combo boards the PC scene will ever see.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 17, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

The Milkman posted:

They had a different reputation a long while ago. Them and Biostar, but ASRock turned it around (and Biostar did not)

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
And they were acquired by another ASUS spinoff :haw:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

kirtar posted:

And they were acquired by another ASUS spinoff :haw:

Aquired? Weren't they an ASUS spinoff? The poorer, dumber, shittier version of ASUS that you didn't wanna touch with a 10 foot pole?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Volguus posted:

Aquired? Weren't they an ASUS spinoff? The poorer, dumber, shittier version of ASUS that you didn't wanna touch with a 10 foot pole?

That's why I said another ASUS spinoff since they were rolled into Pegatron, although it looks like that may have happened before Pegatron itself was formally spun off.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I dunno man, I have used bargain basement mobos from Biostar, Asrock, Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Abit and a no-brand VIA Socket 370 throughout the years, and all were flawless except a Gigabyte nForce 6150 mobo that has a known cold-boot issue. :shrug:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Rip Abit.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Volguus posted:

They were a spinoff, but I thought their distinguishing characteristic in early days was having odd experimental features as well as cheap stuff. I remember a motherboard that supported both PCIe and AGP, and another that was native socket 479 for desktop.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ASRock are making "unpredictable" GPUs for AMD:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3262-asrock-officially-making-video-cards-for-amd-gpus

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Still wait and see mode.. Until then, RMA'ed 980Ti is working at least.

Also ASRock getting into GPU's feels a little like the old days of ECS doing the same. Near the end of the 9800GTX era they were putting out some crazy kits with SLI 9800GTX cards with a water cooling loop for a great price for then. I could see some form of crazy creations coming from these guys.

Whatever happened to ESC? They were great for those cheap CPU + MB combos in the Core 2 days that were like $50 and while the boards were no frills, they all worked and were pretty solid when they worked. (Or were DOA, but usually those were actually just finicky power connectors in my findings...)