Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who seem to subconsciously refuse to match your walking pace and always stay a step or two behind and to the side. Knock it off. I swear if I just stopped dead in my tracks they would start walking backwards just to be consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Outlets with hard to see holes that seem to always put the holes diagonally instead of the more standard horizontal or vertical. I shouldn't have to get down on the ground and look to see how to plug something in.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Outlets with hard to see holes that seem to always put the holes diagonally instead of the more standard horizontal or vertical. I shouldn't have to get down on the ground and look to see how to plug something in.

There’s outlets that aren’t horizontal or vertical? Where do you live? Some non-:911: country? I’m also imagining an outlet where the whole thing is 45 degrees to the floor, and it is likely in some modern art home.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I see that in power strips a lot, but yeah if your wall outlets are at an angle your living situation is even more hilarious that I previously thought.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I see that in power strips a lot, but yeah if your wall outlets are at an angle your living situation is even more hilarious that I previously thought.

They are fine at home. This particularly complaint originated at the berlin airport but i have also seen the diagonal holes at conference venues. Always in europe though, i have never seen diagonal us plugs.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I can’t find any images of this bizarre thing online, but I did find this. This is from some contractors page called “disappearing wall outlets.” The problem is, this is in a bathroom and most likely a tub/shower, as it is rare to have any place other than the shower/tub to have tile. I know they’re bathroom tiles because of their size (and also my mom has almost identical ones).

E: oops forgot to post the pic

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Mar 14, 2018

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Watches that haven't been sized to the person wearing them, so the fucker is just floppin' all over the place. WHY??? You care enough about your appearance to spend a couple of thousand dollars on a dress watch, yet don't give a poo poo if it fits?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thin Privilege posted:

I can’t find any images of this bizarre thing online, but I did find this. This is from some contractors page called “disappearing wall outlets.” The problem is, this is in a bathroom and most likely a tub/shower, as it is rare to have any place other than the shower/tub to have tile. I know they’re bathroom tiles because of their size (and also my mom has almost identical ones).

E: oops forgot to post the pic

that's an impressive paint job

that either cost a pretty penny, or is more likely a Photoshop

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

that's an impressive paint job

that either cost a pretty penny, or is more likely a Photoshop
The outlet- and switchplates on the tiled portions of my parents' kitchen walls are painted like this, too. It can be done (and is).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay wait, $5 on $50 is a decent delivery tip? Have I been way over tipping?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Please not the tipping tangent again

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aphrodite posted:

More is better.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Olive! posted:

:siren:Please not the tipping tangent again:siren:

I added bold and sirens so it’s not an empty quote.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

There are of course factors to this. Are you far away from the store or just down the street? Is it a couple of expensive items or a bunch of heavy less pricy stuff? Do we need to walk up two flights of stairs or are you in a house we just walk up to the door to? I'd say $5 is totally reasonable unless I've got to lug your poo poo across town in rush hour and then up a bunch of apartment steps that I had to hunt to find in some big complex. The only real truth though is that if you want to tip more, we will not only be super grateful, we will remember you and the next time you order and we have three runs to get to yours is for sure getting priority. Delivery drivers have looooong memories.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

That always seems like an empty threat because if you deliver a pizza super late+cold and/or obviously tampered with i'll just complain to your store and get a free one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Modern television and movies seem to have forgotten the important storytelling element of allowing your characters to just chill and hang out, especially to start. In media res has its place, but I appreciate a story that starts with normalcy and ends with a new normalcy. If you never see the main characters relax, shoot the poo poo, and have personal relationships then all you see them as are action machines.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

That always seems like an empty threat because if you deliver a pizza super late+cold and/or obviously tampered with i'll just complain to your store and get a free one.

Sorry I didn't mean that as a threat. What I mean is that say I have three houses to deliver to in one go (which means they all ordered at roughly the same time) they will all get there as rapidly as I can, but I'm going to take the ones where I know the customer there is a good person first. Like maybe the one that gets delivered first is a sweet old lady that only tips me a dollar but she also remembers my name and asks how my son is doing in ROTC, or it's the house that give me $10 just for turning up, or maybe it's the guy that always tells me a funny joke. Point is that drivers remember the nice customers and we will do right by those that do right by us.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
How sweet can this old lady even be if she's spying on your kid? I assume you deliver hers last?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

C'mon, if she were spying, she'd know how the kid was doing in ROTC.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's a veiled threat. Would be a shame if something happened to him, after all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate when people deliberately mess up the title of things they don't like, it's such a lazy way of expressing disdain and doesn't even do that, like people discussing modern cartoons calling Steven Universe "Stephen" Universe. It's not clever, it's not funny and it's just annoying to read. At least do something with it. "50 shades of Gay" (made up example but you get the idea) and similar things is just as stupid a thing to do, but at least there is a vague attempt at a joke, although that sort of thing is just as annoying to me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Couldn't it just be someone choosing another common spelling of the name unintentionally? I would have just guessed which version it was and have a 50/50 chance of offending you making you think i did it intentionally to make fun of it or whatever when I just didn't know/care how it was spelled.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate when people deliberately mess up the title of things they don't like, it's such a lazy way of expressing disdain and doesn't even do that, like people discussing modern cartoons calling Steven Universe "Stephen" Universe. It's not clever, it's not funny and it's just annoying to read. At least do something with it. "50 shades of Gay" (made up example but you get the idea) and similar things is just as stupid a thing to do, but at least there is a vague attempt at a joke, although that sort of thing is just as annoying to me.

https://twitter.com/UweBollRaw/status/973667993338101760

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

BioEnchanted posted:

My least favorite is 'Big-chinned Family Guy' in place of 'American Dad.' They're not even very similar of shows. It reeks of the "hating on Seth MacFarlane" bandwagon.

For the record, with regards to 'Steven Universe' I honestly wouldn't know which spelling to use. That's really likely an honest mistake ~80% of the time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

FELD1 posted:

My least favorite is 'Big-chinned Family Guy' in place of 'American Dad.' They're not even very similar of shows. It reeks of the "hating on Seth MacFarlane" bandwagon.

For the record, with regards to 'Steven Universe' I honestly wouldn't know which spelling to use. That's really likely an honest mistake ~80% of the time.

Yeah, Sorry. I guess with the amount of Irony constantly being thrown around here even something benign can seem deliberate.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Man when Uwe Boll is saying that it's really damning.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I mean if someone is calling Radiohead "The Radio Heads" or something sure but I'd assume "Stephen Universe" is probably an honest mistake. I work with 3 Stephens and I don't remember how they prefer their names spelled.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Related peeve: if you ask me if i like a show like that and i say no, i am not looking for an argument. Don't start interrogating me to make sure I dislike it for Valid Reasons.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Related peeve: if you ask me if i like a show like that and i say no, i am not looking for an argument. Don't start interrogating me to make sure I dislike it for Valid Reasons.

It's okay, you probably just didn't give it enough of a chance or don't really understand what they're going for or the other dozen inane arguments for why you don't really dislike a show. Look, just watch the first five seasons and maybe if you don't like it by then it's just not for you.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

docbeard posted:

It's okay, you probably just didn't give it enough of a chance or don't really understand what they're going for or the other dozen inane arguments for why you don't really dislike a show. Look, just watch the first five seasons and maybe if you don't like it by then it's just not for you.

This too. "It really picks up in the fourth season trust me". "So can i skip the first three?" "No what are you crazy youll miss so much backstory."

I think i have said it before but around half a season is my "giving it a chance" window.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This too. "It really picks up in the fourth season trust me". "So can i skip the first three?" "No what are you crazy youll miss so much backstory."

I think i have said it before but around half a season is my "giving it a chance" window.

Yeah, likewise. I think "give it a few episodes, it will really win you over by episode 4 or 5" has only ever really been true once for me. And I'm generally pretty easygoing when it comes to TV, but there's got to be something that grabs me straight away (or I at least have to be in the right mood for something).

And you've also touched on a related peeve for me; no, I will not start with the second season even if the first season isn't very good. It bugs the poo poo out of me not to watch all of something in order when I'm watching it, at least the first time through. I kind of envy people who can do this.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The reverse is also true; I'm not going to apologize for liking something that other people don't, and your hour-long youtube video won't convince me not to even if it points out flaws that I acknowledge are there. And I do, quite often; there's plenty of stuff I like that I know isn't especially well-plotted or well-acted or whatever, just like there's stuff that I can acknowledge is technically well-done but that just doesn't appeal to me for whatever reason.

I HAVE THOUGHTS ON TELEVISION (also movies/books/video games/whatever).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That's overly generous, IMO. I'll acknowledge that often the first episode is a bit shaky, but if you watch the second episode and still don't like it you should probably find a better use for your time, because after two episodes you pretty much know what you're in for.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I guess it is a bit much since most of the shows i actually like - i.e. the shield, stargate sg1/atlantis, supernatural etc - had me hooked by episode 1 or 2, or 4 in supernatural's case but i didnt hate it before that.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

On the other hand, people messing up the titles of things by accident rather than out of some sort of lazy ironic disdain is one of my favorite things, like the guy who, having just learned how to pirate media, proudly announced he'd downloaded "The Chocolate Wonka" and "the episode of the Bart Simpsons where Homer smokes weed."

Or my mother inviting me over to watch that American history-themed Nicolas Cage adventure movie, "National Investment."

docbeard posted:

Yeah, likewise. I think "give it a few episodes, it will really win you over by episode 4 or 5" has only ever really been true once for me. And I'm generally pretty easygoing when it comes to TV, but there's got to be something that grabs me straight away (or I at least have to be in the right mood for something).

And you've also touched on a related peeve for me; no, I will not start with the second season even if the first season isn't very good. It bugs the poo poo out of me not to watch all of something in order when I'm watching it, at least the first time through. I kind of envy people who can do this.

I think a lot of this comes out of how we used to watch TV versus how we watch it now. One of my all-time favorite shows is NewsRadio, but I didn't catch every single episode in broadcast order when it first aired; I don't even remember what the first one I watched was, but I instantly liked it and made a effort to watch it from then on out. Back when shows were broadcast and then disappeared up until they were (MAYBE) rerun, most people tended to start somewhere near the middle unless they were especially prescient or lucky.

It wasn't until the DVDs came out (or, more honestly, until I found janky VHS rips online somewhere) that I could sit and watch the whole thing "in order." I think it benefits from being watched in order, since so much of the comedy is improved by knowing the characters, but it wasn't designed that way, necessarily.

Once "complete season" DVD box sets started being released in short order after broadcast — and especially after Netflix streaming — binge-watching became a possibility and I think the way TV shows were made changed to account for that. Even so, I think Parks and Rec is the go-to example of "skip the first season;" even with the expectation that TV is no longer ephemeral, shows still sometimes need a bit to find their voice, their groove, their philosophy, whatever.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

docbeard posted:

The reverse is also true; I'm not going to apologize for liking something that other people don't

:same:

This is why a lot of fandoms get hate, you have two groups of people constantly bickering over what's good or what isn't and it's annoying. I honestly couldn't care less though, I'll watch (or avoid) whatever I want, popularity is subjective.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Or my mother inviting me over to watch that American history-themed Nicolas Cage adventure movie, "National Investment."

:3:

That might be the most :3: thing I've heard in weeks.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Strangers who ask if you're "ok" when you look upset. I had a flight attendant and the grocery store cashier ask me that today. Even if the answer is "no" what are they going to do? Just leave me be.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just say "yeah I'm sad because I'm poor" and people just give me money, it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I was a mess on my morning flight after Election Day '16, but thankfully instead of asking if I was okay, the flight attendant just handed me two minibottles of gin with my tonic.