Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

If you want to argue with Peterson people, don't get trapped trying to prove that there's infinite genders (there's not), the irreconcilable argument is almost always whether equality of outcome is better or worse than equality of opportunity. One of Peterson's actual positions is that equity is bad for society, that comes up all the time. As defined in the ETFO teacher social justice handbook

Some people think it's fair to just give everybody the same slice of pie, some people think that some other people in charge should be deciding who gets bigger and smaller pie based on intersection of skin color, lgbtqness, religion and/or political leanings. Get all these people on the same page and jordan peterson goes away.

This pie metaphor is pretty lovely because it assumes equal slices of pie to begin with, in a situation where everything else is equal, so of course in that situation everyone jumps to the obvious solution of "everyone should have equal pie".

A more apt metaphor would be that one kid in class already has a whole pie because his dad sent him to school with it, two other kids each have half a pie because a different teacher likes them and gave it to them earlier, and five other kids didn't get to eat breakfast this morning. In comes the teacher with a new pie. The kid who is currently holding an entire pie then bitches and moans because the teacher asks the class whether the five kids who didn't eat breakfast should get bigger pieces of pie than him even though no matter what happens he will still end up with the most pie of any student, and in the end to avoid controversy the teacher gives everyone an equal slice of pie. The principal passes in the hallway, dragging a cart with twenty pies that he bought with school funds and is now putting in his car to take home for later. Eventually he throws fifteen of them in the garbage because it turns out he just couldn't eat that much pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always liked this one

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Regressive taxes that disproportionate hurt the poor by increasing their transportation costs are bullshit. The rich guy has no problem with the extra 20 or 50 bucks a month. The poor guy gets even more in debt.

Many poor people cant rely on public transportation! If you dont live in one of the major 5 cities in this country, your PT is poo poo, and often wont even run in the hours that you have to be at work for your poo poo jobs! So they are stuck with taxis that cost even more than a cheap car!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

oh my god shut the gently caress up about P6TA this is worse than coat or drake chat in the Toronto thread

Can we talk how Ol' Dougie Hash Pipe is gonna make us yearn for the Mike Harris years?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

I always liked this one

Yes look at all the rich people who bought tickets not doing anything to make it more fair, you're just redistributing among the poorest 3% you heartless liberal. The model they're presumably operating under (the kids with more pie give theirs voluntarily to the kids with less), is already possible in our system.

vyelkin posted:

This pie metaphor is pretty lovely because it assumes equal slices of pie to begin with, in a situation where everything else is equal, so of course in that situation everyone jumps to the obvious solution of "everyone should have equal pie".

That might be but it's the official metaphor in the official guide (https://bed-ji-2011.wikispaces.com/file/view/4.+Resource+Guide.pdf). Your metaphor is idealistic and also who the gently caress is bringing their own pie in to school. A metaphor for how it's practically and widely implemented is to say "studies show that kids with brown hair get twice as much pie as kids with red hair so make sure that kids with red hair all get twice as much as the kids with brown hair and this should even out statistically, it would be impossible to ask every kid exactly how much pie they get every year and give them the exact amount that would even them personally out with the rest of their classmates".

That's how you get the CBC advertising job positions and no caucasians need apply. Are you good with that? I am not. Same with med school applications. Don't take people with lower grades because they're from an oppressed class, fix the reason the oppressed class is getting lower grades. I guess that's my argument. You don't need to reply and I know you disagree, we probably aren't going to find agreement on this and I'm worried you'll put effort into trying and we're both arguing from moral ground. Jordan7hm's picture is good, we should be raising people who behave like that. The point is, if you want to argue with people who find Peterson appealing, don't argue about genders or marxism, argue about equity vs equality, it's way more interesting.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The point is, if you want to argue with people who find Peterson appealing, don't argue about genders or marxism, argue about equity vs equality, it's way more interesting.

Don't argue with Peterson about the topics he's obsessed with and draw his supporters to him, okay, got it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

Don't argue with Peterson about the topics he's obsessed with and draw his supporters to him, okay, got it.

Yeah equity versus equality is a much bigger thing among the more mainstream right who spend less time screaming about genders and Marxism, just look at this thing Maxime Bernier posted on facebook today:

quote:

CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE AND BE QUIET

Dear friends, to be effective, justice must be blind.

And our government should be too.

The way to solve the injustices of the past is not to create new categories on which to base discrimination. IT’S TO TREAT ALL CITIZENS EQUALLY.

That’s not what the Liberals are doing. They recently tabled a budget where money is allocated on the basis of “intersectional race, gender and sexual identities.”

They’re creating more division and more injustice.

And when I called them out on it, I was told to “check my privilege and be quiet.”

This wasn’t just another troll on the internet. It came from a Liberal Member of Parliament.

There are people in this government who believe my opinion is less valid because I’m a white man.

They believe the government should segregate people based on their gender and skin colour and treat them differently.

HELP ME FIGHT THIS RADICAL IDEOLOGY.

I BELIEVE THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE BLIND. AND THAT IT SHOULD WORK TO THE BENEFIT OF ALL ITS CITIZENS.

If you’re with me, please tell me in the comments, like this post and share this message with your friends.

For freedom. And equality.

Sincerely,

- Max

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
affirmative action programs are pretty well baked into our constitutional document, same with equal protection of everyone before the law. If people like Peterson genuinely want to take issue with that or, say, hate speech laws, then just challenge those issues directly instead of inventing nonsense about a law that has effectively been governing your workplace for years before you decided it was a problem. Trans people shouldn't have their constitutional protections held hostage over concerns about compelled speech via hate speech laws/human rights tribunals.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yes look at all the rich people who bought tickets not doing anything to make it more fair, you're just redistributing among the poorest 3% you heartless liberal. The model they're presumably operating under (the kids with more pie give theirs voluntarily to the kids with less), is already possible in our system.

That’s why I like that one yeah. Look it’s more fair (they’re still on the other side of the fence because they can’t afford tickets).

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Phone posting so I can’t get down and dirty, but sure, why not. Let’s aim for equality of opportunity. We’re so far from that being honestly and truly universally applied that the pursuit of it is just as dirty leftie as anything else. Let’s introduce wealth taxes, increase upper income tax brackets and corporate tax, ramp up rehabilitative Justice for non-dangerous offenders, slash police budgets and introduce a new, civilian-esque police force for the majority of policing duties,fight overseas tax havens, bust monopolies, and radically invigorate and revolutionize our social welfare programs to ensure every person is allowed to live a life of dignity and self-actualisation regardless of the circumstances of their born existence.

But this still isn’t happening, regardless of who ends up in power.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Stickarts posted:

Phone posting so I can’t get down and dirty, but sure, why not. Let’s aim for equality of opportunity. We’re so far from that being honestly and truly universally applied that the pursuit of it is just as dirty leftie as anything else. Let’s introduce wealth taxes, increase upper income tax brackets and corporate tax, ramp up rehabilitative Justice for non-dangerous offenders, slash police budgets and introduce a new, civilian-Eddie police force for the majority of policing duties,fight overseas tax havens, bust monopolies, and radically invigorate and revolutionize our social welfare programs to ensure every person is allowed to live a life of dignity and self-actualisation regardless of the circumstances of their born existence.

But this still isn’t happening, regardless of who ends up in power.

Don't forget our new 100% estate tax

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

infernal machines posted:

Buddy, I half-way agree with you and even I want you to shut the gently caress up, because this is tedious as hell and you're not even doing an entertaining job of misrepresenting other people's arguments to make your point.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Using "they" is a lot less difficult Peterson's grand-standing bullshit about imaginary genders. It's almost like they have a secret transphobic motive. :thinking_face:

xtal fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 16, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xtal posted:

Using "they" is a lot less difficult Peterson's grand-standing bullshit about imaginary genders. It's almost like they have a secret transphobic motive. :thinking_face:

It's : thunk :, in case you're curious.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Big transit announcement in Vancouver right now, $7b in funding confirmed and agreed upon for their Phase 2 which includes big bus expansion, Broadway subway extension, Patullo bridge, and whatever the gently caress is happening for Surrey LRT

e: and a buttload more trains for Expo/Millenium line too :toot:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 16, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

Big transit announcement in Vancouver right now, $7b in funding confirmed and agreed upon for their Phase 2 which includes big bus expansion, Broadway subway extension, Patullo bridge, and whatever the gently caress is happening for Surrey LRT

loving awesome! I am, after all, highly supportive of policies that encourage transit use and discourage driving.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MA-Horus posted:

Can we talk how Ol' Dougie Hash Pipe is gonna make us yearn for the Mike Harris years?

I will eat a hat if their privatization and cuts kill fewer people than Walkerton

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

It's : thunk :, in case you're curious.

I'm not.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

CLAM DOWN posted:

e: and a buttload more trains for Expo/Millenium line too :toot:

Thanks BC Libs for the dumbshit transit referendum that set us back 3 years.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

They kept taxes low, for families

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I decided to put my money where my mouth is and volunteer for a labour union.. Wish me luck goons.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Kraftwerk posted:

I decided to put my money where my mouth is and volunteer for a labour union.. Wish me luck goons.

Right on. Good on you.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/2018/03/16/caught-up-in-the-populist-uprising-ontario-is-set-to-follow-doug-ford-into-the-fire.html

quote:

Meanwhile Ford only needs to stay out of trouble and watch his glib pronouncements. That may be more difficult than imagined, considering his past as a Toronto city councillor and chief mischief-maker in his brother’s regime.

Who concocted a backdoor plan to deliver Ferris wheels and monorail and megamall to Toronto’s waterfront? Doug Ford.

Who attacked libraries? Who badmouthed people with autism? Who called city councillors “little monkeys”?” Doug Ford.

Who was forced to apologize to then-police chief Bill Blair after attacking the police investigation of Mayor Ford’s suspected interactions with known drug dealers? Doug Ford.

Pretend I quoted that post about how all Doug Ford has to do is not step on his own dick and he'll be Premier. Also that quote about how Conservative times are Hard times and yet here we are. Literally going to put Doug Ford into power as Premier of Ontario.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Pretend I quoted the post where I said Doug Ford doesn't even have to avoid stepping on his dick to be Premier.

He could nail his foreskin to the sole of his shoe and still walk into Queens Park with at least a minority.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why didn't any of you run for premier?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

xtal posted:

Don't you need at least like 50 people to back you first? plus like I think $1000 bucks just for the privilege to run?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

xtal posted:

I'd like to maintain an illusion of dignity.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

xtal posted:

That's not how the office works.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

xtal posted:

You can't "run for premier" dude

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

xtal posted:

I need to focus on my campaign for President.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

You can't "run for premier" dude

This kind of attitude is why we have Doug Ford

xtal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 17, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

xtal posted:

Would need to go to Toronto, ew.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why didn't I have the wisdom and foresight to be born into a millionaire family where I could hone my business acumen by becoming a mid-tier hash dealer?

I don't know about noted joke candidate Tanya Granic Allen but I'm going to take a wild guess that all of the other OPC leadership candidates are multi-millionaires or will be when their "crooked ex-PM who took suitcases of cash as bribes and then sued the federal government for libel for spreading complete true claims about his corruption" daddies croak.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

On a related note, seven MPs who used unparliamentary language featuring Justin Trudeau's godawful Van Dyke beard:

quote:

Dec. 14, 2011: Liberal MP Justin Trudeau vs. Conservative Environment Minister Peter Kent The current Liberal leadership candidate admitted he lost his “cool” in the House of Commons during Question Period when he called Environment Minister Peter Kent a “piece of poo poo.” When QP was over, Mr. Trudeau apologized. “I used language that was most undecidedly unparliamentary and for that I unreservedly apologize and withdraw my remarks,” Mr. Trudeau told MPs.

Disappointing. He wasn't wrong on this.

quote:

March 3, 2008: Liberal MP Shawn Murphy vs. Brian Mulroney Nothing says unparliamentary language like calling for the hanging of a former prime minister. But that’s what Liberal MP Shawn Murphy found himself apologizing for because of his heckles during a Conservative speech about a crime bill. “Hang him high, hang Mulroney! Let’s get this Mulroney before the courts as soon as possible and hang him high,” Mr. Murphy was quoted as telling the House of Commons. “We gotta get Mulroney, put a noose on his head, put a noose on his head. Get tough on crime.” “I deeply regret my actions,” Mr. Murphy said later. | Oct. 16, 1985: NDP MP James Fulton and a dead salmon vs. Progressive Conservative prime minister Brian Mulroney’s empty desk Unhappy with government policy on West Coast salmon fishing, NDP MP James Fulton raised his concerns during Question Period. When he was done, he pulled a dead salmon from under his desk, walked across the aisle, and dropped it on the desk of Progressive Conservative prime minister Brian Mulroney, who was away.

Should have slapped the poo poo out of Mulroney with that fish. Hanging is a bit extreme but federal prison sounds good.

e: sock him in the eye with a sockeye, aye?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 17, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Further proof that Renfrew Nipissing Pembroke is full of retards and I'm never going back.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Why would some chucklefuck in suburban Ottawa fly a white Knights Templar flag from a pole on the front of a pickup truck?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Because they're a white supremacist who wants to advertise?

Someone with real particular thoughts on Muslims, I expect.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 17, 2018

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 26, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

James Baud posted:

For the people who haven't had their fill of Khalistan talk, here's another take. It has its own omissions, but I imagine it covers the India side better than anything else most anyone will have read: https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/03/15/opinion/truth-behind-story-engulfing-canadas-sikh-politicians

That's a very good article, thanks for sharing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

Because they're a white supremacist who wants to advertise?

Someone with real particular thoughts on Muslims, I expect.

That was my initial thought, I was hoping there was another reason.