Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Last time I checked, the industrial production of teflon fucks up the people who live next to the Teflon Factory, but there wasn't a lot of hard evidence that using a pan treated with the stuff affected you negatively.

I continue to use thos pans because I'm incredibly lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

BgRdMchne posted:

it's a matter of priorities. I live in a shithole in the middle of a ghetto and drive a '01 Corolla, but this lets me get nice pans and buy $80 scotch.

If you're buying $80 scotch and think "there couldn't be anyone poorer than me", I have some news for you, my friend.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-72...nless+steel+pan

$36, and while not restaurant quality it’s got a good heavy base and it’ll last at least a decade.

This is a perfect illustration of what I'm talking about. There are people who have to think in terms of not "what will I cook on for the next decade" but "what will I cook on tonight and beyond that I'll figure something out", and they're buying the $19 nine-piece nonstick set because nine is more than one and $19 is less than $36.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Besesoth posted:

nine is more than one and $19 is less than $36.

Hm, yeah that checks out I think.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Fathis Munk posted:

Little known fact, if you don't breastfeed and don't give your baby formula, they just start photosynthetizing and will never need to eat in their whole life !

That reminded me of a story of parents keeping their baby on a strict vegan diet to the point where the baby died of malnutrition so I stupidly googled it and now I'm sad.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Thanks for sharing it and making me sad :smith:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

screaden posted:

This was in response to a video of someone cutting Michael Scott saying "That's what she said" after clips from Harry Potter that had some vague possible sexual innuendos (it wasn't very funny).

Also lolling at the Bond novels being exemplary of wonder, beauty and excitement - edit: well poo poo, rereading it, is he double negativing and saying Harry Potter is all those things?

this is an old copypasta that gets posted on 4chan every day

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
the ol'reliable imgur front page:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

LawfulWaffle posted:

That reminded me of a story of parents keeping their baby on a strict vegan diet to the point where the baby died of malnutrition so I stupidly googled it and now I'm sad.

It's more of a lovely vegan diet than just strict one. Either they weren't breast feeding/ using formula which is the only thing babies are supposed to eat period, or the breast milk was not nutritious enough because the mom's diet was so poor. There's nothing not vegan about a b-12 supplement; you're just an idiot who thinks you can cover everything with a salad and multigrain bread.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I have definite seen complaints from Actual Irish People about the way St Patrick's is celebrated in the US.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Like I don't know how real Irish folks feel about American St. Patrick's Day culture, but... At the very least, it's explicitly a celebration of Irish culture, whereas a good amount of examples of cultural appropriation are white people emulating something from another culture without understanding it; acting like it's appreciative even if they don't know a thing about it; then claiming that the thing they copied was also done by X white group a thousand years ago so it's not like the group they copied from can claim it, despite that being the group they copied from to begin with. So much of the point is erasure of origin, and St Patrick's is guilty of the completely different crime of stereotyping.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

zakharov posted:

I have definite seen complaints from Actual Irish People about the way St Patrick's is celebrated in the US.

So they are in fact, whiny cunts.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

zakharov posted:

My extended family is Irish, and they don't have a problem with the way we celebrate here in the states. We usually find a homeless man, dress him up in ceremonial garb, and throw him in a pit full of various species of vicious serpents with only a quarterstaff to defend himself. If he survives for at least half an hour, we all take shots and let him loose with a cash prize. If he perishes, it means we'll see six more weeks of winter.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Irish-Americans acting like idiots can be blamed on the Irish diaspora, which in turn can be blamed on the English.

So, nothing unusual there.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Irish are a scourge upon the earth.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Culturally appropriating while not white is appropriating the culture of white people, who can only have culture through appropriation.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there more to St Patrick's Day than getting up at the crack of dawn for kegs and eggs and then drinking until Sunday? Because as an Ohioan that's pretty much all that happens here

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Len posted:

Is there more to St Patrick's Day than getting up at the crack of dawn for kegs and eggs and then drinking until Sunday? Because as an Ohioan that's pretty much all that happens here

That's exactly the sacrosanct ritual of Irish culture that Americans are appropriating. There's nothing... uh... problematic about saying that Irish culture is defined by day-long alcohol consumption, is there?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm imagining St Patrick's Day type celebration for an African culture and all I can picture is a sea of blackface.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rough Lobster posted:

My extended family is Irish, and they don't have a problem with the way we celebrate here in the states. We usually find a homeless man, dress him up in ceremonial garb, and throw him in a pit full of various species of vicious serpents with only a quarterstaff to defend himself. If he survives for at least half an hour, we all take shots and let him loose with a cash prize. If he perishes, it means we'll see six more weeks of winter.
:five:

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
If you’re serious about heritage drinking, it’s Saint Urho’s Day today, so get your traditional Finnish drinking in before St. Patrick’s tomorrow.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
Frankly if yez can manage to not spell it St Patty that's enough, beers and no snakes for all

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Hedningen posted:

If you’re serious about heritage drinking, it’s Saint Urho’s Day today, so get your traditional Finnish drinking in before St. Patrick’s tomorrow.

I don't know enough puns to celebrate a Finnish holiday.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Len posted:

That's just a usual saturday in ireland.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Len posted:

The fiancee posted a thing about how formula feeding is okay and we shouldn't make a big deal about it:

Because hiring someone just to give you breast milk would be a totally affordable thing for everyone

Fun facts! Wet nursing led to the death of lots of babies. Depending on the culture and time in history, the baby would be farmed out to a wet nurse in the country, neglected and die or the wet nurse would move in with the mother and the wet nurse's own baby would be neglected and die. https://www.encyclopedia.com/medicine/anatomy-and-physiology/anatomy-and-physiology/wet-nursing

Enjoy some more sanctimommies! This was a comment on an article about feeding your toddlers dinner early so they aren't cranky terrors all evening.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
"Kids these days!"
- A literal dinosaur

On the other hand, the hand-wringing dinosaurs were right to fear the future, but it wasn't because the younger generations were full of hoodlums.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/tomfornelli/status/974700047257473024?s=21

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

nerdz posted:

"You thought this post was about black people didn't you? Guess we know who the real racist is."

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I was gonna share this 'cause it's insane but instead it gets to be relevant to one of the yanks favourite little pet subjects

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Yes, "the left" is really going to stop a college founded by the Dominican order having a Dominican friar as its mascot. :rolleyes:

That thing is ugly as hell, though, and apparently even the alumni hate it. They should go back to the Dalmatians, they were cute.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

nerdz posted:

I bet you the person sharing this will be going off on one about Irish slaves by Sunday evening.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Push El Burrito posted:

I'm imagining St Patrick's Day type celebration for an African culture and all I can picture is a sea of blackface.

You're forgetting the grass skirts and spears, the other two things most people """know""" about Africa.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Look, if your culture doesn't involve drinking, playing the fiddle, and dancing, you don't need a national culture celebration day.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I can just picture a bunch of day drank 20 something black people running down the streets yelling about how proud they are to have Somalian or Ghanan heritage while dressed in black, red, yellow, and green while welcoming strangers to join them because 'everyone is a little bit black today' and honestly it would be pretty awesome.

Until they all got mowed down by the cops.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
It'd be better because, broadly speaking, everybody is a little bit black.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Who What Now posted:

You're forgetting the grass skirts and spears, the other two things most people """know""" about Africa.

Also, Toto blessing the rains down there.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Hey.

I saw Hotel Rwanda. I think I know what I'm talking about.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Volcott posted:

Hey.

I saw Hotel Rwanda. I think I know what I'm talking about.

Same, but replace Hotel Rwanda with Ace Ventura 2.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

nerdz posted:

I plan on getting black out drunk on Saturday regardless of Saint Patties day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

I plan on getting black out drunk on Saturday regardless of Saint Patties day.

As a serious drinker I don't drink on St Patrick's, it's loving amateur hour of drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Volcott posted:

Hey.

I saw Hotel Rwanda played Resident Evil 5. I think I know what I'm talking about.

:same: