Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Justin_Brett posted:

Getting a crash in II during the fight with Rufus after you get everyone together again, when the fight's supposed to end. Anyone run into that and fix it?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/748490/discussions/1/1696040635913740588/?l=romanian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Yeah, there's a whole bunch of crashing in version 1.2. As I understand it, Durante's making progress figuring out what to do to fix it, so 1.3 should be on it's way.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Ah, thanks anyway, just thought I'd ask.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I have heard reports using the Japanese exe for that part will let you get past it

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You can also try this early 1.3 executable: http://steamcommunity.com/app/748490/discussions/1/1698293255125396221/

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Even though I feel like CS2 was, across the board, an improvement over CS1, I agree with almost every complaint in the thread. I was still enjoying myself until the ending.

Ending thoughts: The ending was... so... long, I couldn't stand it. It felt as if I was running a marathon and I thought I was on my last mile so I gave it all I had; and then they tell me I still have 4 miles to go. I just wanted to decompress after the climax, but then there was a completely pointless dungeon with a cool cameo. Then when I think I do get to do a victory lap and wrap up the story, it dumps an even more pointless dungeon on top. I think the final final boss even said something like, "There's really no point in fighting me". But Rean said, "But we're Class VII!" *battle clash noise*. In retrospect, I'm glad there was More Game, but the pacing was brutal.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
My problem with the pacing was more then obvious super filler part of going to all four shrines. I wish they could reduce it to two, or spread it out that you don't have to do all 4 in a row story-wise.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
CS 2 - Finished the third stratum. The boss fight was not as hard as I thought it would be. Heck, Alisa even tanked the S-Craft and survived with critical health. I suppose my method is just another method of cheesing the fight just as boring as delay spam. But my eyes glazed over once the boring "blah blah power level over 545438438535804385438" poo poo happened. Repeating it for the 500th time does not make it interesting.

The only mildly interesting thing is that it looks like we've almost run out of Deus Ex Machina characters to run in and save our asses after we inevitably lose the next boss fights. Actually, at this point I expect we'll lose all the rest of the boss fights too.

I now have 3/4 of the ore shards needed to make a third weapon. I assume the fourth will come after the next boss? Or should I spend 50 U-Mats to make the fourth one now? I don't think I have much use for them at this point since I can't upgrade accessories or weapons. It'll probably go onto Gaius or Fie. Or Sara. It's a little unfortunate that the upgraded weapons in CS 2 are less interesting than the ones in CS 1. In CS 1, they were more interesting and granted bonuses to SPD or ATS or Evasion or chance to Faint. In CS 2 it's basically only +Crit %.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I now have 3/4 of the ore shards needed to make a third weapon. I assume the fourth will come after the next boss? Or should I spend 50 U-Mats to make the fourth one now? I don't think I have much use for them at this point since I can't upgrade accessories or weapons. It'll probably go onto Gaius or Fie. Or Sara. It's a little unfortunate that the upgraded weapons in CS 2 are less interesting than the ones in CS 1. In CS 1, they were more interesting and granted bonuses to SPD or ATS or Evasion or chance to Faint. In CS 2 it's basically only +Crit %.

You'll pick it up somewhere in the current stratum, before the next boss.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BearDrivingTruck posted:

You'll pick it up somewhere in the current stratum, before the next boss.

There's a part where you flip a switch and the camera pans over some platforms that activate, and you'll see the fourth shard sparkling on the floor.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

CS 2 - Finished the third stratum. The boss fight was not as hard as I thought it would be. Heck, Alisa even tanked the S-Craft and survived with critical health. I suppose my method is just another method of cheesing the fight just as boring as delay spam. But my eyes glazed over once the boring "blah blah power level over 545438438535804385438" poo poo happened. Repeating it for the 500th time does not make it interesting.

Out of all the reruns of "Getting your rear end pulled out of the fire 101" this one's generally the instance people had least objections to since McBurn is consistently put on the same level as characters who were considered superboss-material in the previous story arcs and is, if what Emma hinted at is to be believed, essentially a living Divergent Laws weapon at this point. (this scene, if you bring Emma along, is also probably the only hint the game gives at the origin of Rean's ability) It's less cringe-inducing than having to be saved from characters who were never portrayed as the pinnacle of combat prowess to begin with, such as Number 10 earlier.

Yeah, on the one hand it was neat that upgraded weapons in CS1 gave you stuff like Spd and Eva (there are still some weapon upgrades in CS2 that grant ATS, but only for the orbal staff users) but at the same time I thought it was annoying when I had to switch to later weapons and take hits in Spd/Ats/Eva. Particularly at the end when anyone who didn't get a Zemurian Ore weapon was forced to use store-bought weapons that boosted no stats aside from Str.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah out of all of them. I don't have any issues with the guy who told Rean to summon his Divine Knight for the fight, being out of the parties league.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
CS 2

- Zephyr wants to bring back their leader? Oh FFS, the number of named people who die in this series is in the single digits, and now they're going go just go ahead and start reviving the dead? Please, don't.
- It is indeed true that the third battle is the one where it's most reasonable to lose, but coming after the first two win-but-lose battles doesn't make this interesting. In fact, it's a predetermined conclusion and less interesting than if you had won the first two. I wasn't complaining about losing though, just the game pretty much saying "his power level is above 9000". The audience can't really understand the arbitrary scale which is being used. It's especially pointless because we were already beaten by other people who were much weaker.
- I beat the battle against Crow and Vita. Reasonably challenging. I gave Sara the third Z-Ore weapon and had her use a +50% STR 200 CP S-Craft on a critical turn before Crow's mines detonated (identifying them first with a battle scope, of course). Emma died like 3-5 times during the fight. Her Crescent Shell did come in handy a couple of times, though. I finished Crow and Vita off with a Rean/Alisa Overdrive. Might as well make the most of the +20% damage bonus.
- I appreciated Crow calling Rean out on involving his classmates in their DK battle. Because it's really, really hard to lose when you have an invulnerable, infinite energy replenishing ally propping you up. The 100% dodge craft helps a lot too.
- Not sure why Class VII is so incredulous about the motives of Cayenne, though. I mean, ruling one of the largest nations on the continent is much more reasonable a desire than petty revenge or something.
- So what happened to the Pantagruel to allow the Courageous to go "look more closlier" at the thing? Shouldn't the ships still be fighting?
- Instructor Thomas is scaring me. I see now why he always has his eyes closed.

- I'm taking a short break before the Testa-Rossa boss fight. I seriously have zero idea what all this was about. Why the hell would Ouroboros care about the battle between knights and not about the giant demon weapon thing?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's especially pointless because we were already beaten by other people who were much weaker.
They are not much weaker at all, CS1 and 2 just have a problem with showing this. Duvalie beat Loewe once, and because we don't have Crossbell we don't get a good frame of reference for how strong jaegers are, but the War God and the Jaeger King were both stronger than Cassius, and Xeno and Leo would be able put up a good fight against him if they fought together.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

- Not sure why Class VII is so incredulous about the motives of Cayenne, though. I mean, ruling one of the largest nations on the continent is much more reasonable a desire than petty revenge or something.

Because his primary motives actually WERE petty revenge, even if his secondary motives ran parallel to the Noble Alliance's goals. Class VII is baffled that the primary motivation guiding Cayenne's actions is a 250-year old family feud with the Arnors (well, Dreichels' Arnors) that nobody else in the Empire even remembers.

- So what happened to the Pantagruel to allow the Courageous to go "look more closlier" at the thing? Shouldn't the ships still be fighting?

With no bigwigs left on board there, the captain (who already didn't sound particularly sure of himself when Rufus boarded his own vessel) probably though "gently caress this, I'm outta here" the moment that mana-leeching wave was let loose.

- Instructor Thomas is scaring me. I see now why he always has his eyes closed.

Yeah, he looks quite different that way. Squinty folks with glasses are never what they seem. He pulls off the expression-switcheroo mid-sentence too. Turns out the deeper voice he used while masquerading earlier in the game is his real voice. Kudos to Makarov for seeing through him even though Sara never caught on. Then again, it's perfectly possible Thomas always went out of his way to annoy Sara was because he didn't want her sticking around him and paying too much attention to him. This moment is annoying in the first playthrough because the question of what's up with him isn't answered without that NG+ only quest.

- I'm taking a short break before the Testa-Rossa boss fight. I seriously have zero idea what all this was about. Why the hell would Ouroboros care about the battle between knights and not about the giant demon weapon thing?

Two main possibilities: either this was a placing-the-gospel-in-the-sealed-area moment for them or it was a data-gathering experiment for them, similar to the ones they pulled in SC. It wouldn't be the first time they pulled off something big without seemingly getting any immediate rewards out of it.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 16, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gotta get that combat data

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CS 2
- It is indeed true that the third battle is the one where it's most reasonable to lose, but coming after the first two win-but-lose battles doesn't make this interesting. In fact, it's a predetermined conclusion and less interesting than if you had won the first two. I wasn't complaining about losing though, just the game pretty much saying "his power level is above 9000". The audience can't really understand the arbitrary scale which is being used. It's especially pointless because we were already beaten by other people who were much weaker.

The other rescues are kinda lame, but if you didn’t get hype as hell when Laura’s dad didn’t bust in and turn his giant anime sword into an enormous light saber and start fighting the scary fire man after he gave a real cool speech while Exceed started playing I don’t know what the gently caress, that’s Cassius v Reverie level poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Terper posted:

They are not much weaker at all, CS1 and 2 just have a problem with showing this. Duvalie beat Loewe once, and because we don't have Crossbell we don't get a good frame of reference for how strong jaegers are, but the War God and the Jaeger King were both stronger than Cassius, and Xeno and Leo would be able put up a good fight against him if they fought together.

Lol that’s dumb as gently caress.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay. I just finished the Finale act of Cold Steel 2. Wow, that's a bunch of twists. They were all foreshadowed, but I only got the obvious one.

:siren: Major spoilers for Cold Steel 2's ending follow, so do not even THINK of reading them if you haven't beaten the game and don't want to be spoiled.

- Hooray I completed the achievement for filling out the monster guide.
- Crow dying at the end fit thematically. He had committed many crimes including killing many soldiers. It would have been hard to swallow him getting a slap on the wrist, even with a Divine Knight under control. Also honestly the war had been too gentle on Class VII. They needed to lose something more than just the market manager they barely knew.

- I'll start with the obvious one. I was not at all surprised that Chancellor Osborne survived. I suspected that from the ending of Cold Steel 1, in fact.

Three red flags:
  • Flag 1: The attack on Garrellia by the ILF had them using Ouroboros robots, they were working together. The sniper rifle which shot down the ILF ship in the mine was suspected to be of Ouroboros make by Claire. Claire and by extension Osborne knew about that rifle and the suspicious incident for a whole month.
  • Flag 2: Osborne was giving his National RADIO Address in Dreichels Plaza for a crowd of a couple hundred at best. This is a place without televisions. There's no need to put yourself at risk for the sake of a dramatic visual which 99% of your audience won't ever see when a secure booth in the palace would do the same job.
  • Flag 3: After being shot, Osborne called out Armbrust by name, meaning he suspected him. He should also have known that Crow was still alive the whole time, so why put himself at risk when one of the main suspects was still running around freely?

- How? Not that important I guess. maybe as simple as Zemurian Ore body armor, with some well-placed squibs and bags of pigs blood. There's a lot of ways it could happen.

- The twist just before that one, that Rufus Albarea is the Ironblood "Jade Rook" makes perfect sense in retrospect. From Sky the Third Star Door 8, Osborne made it clear that his plan was to instigate a civil war to reduce the influence of the nobility. It makes perfect sense that he'd want to be able to manipulate the Noble faction as well. Rufus is a moderate noble, he has respect for the common people, he could see a gradual transition in the influence of the nobility being inevitable as technology becomes more widespread. What a better way to control the Noble Alliance than to position someone as strong and charismatic as Rufus in control of its day-to-day operations. Rufus can stoke anti-nobility sentiment on one hand with deeds like imprisoning the imperial family, while being the "good cop" reigning them in when they go too far.
- Ouroboros, the scheming, sneaky, always-according-to-plan pricks getting blindsided and out-maneuvered by Osborne, losing control of their own factory and their own plan to him is amazing.
- Rean being Osborne's SON is another amazing twist I had no idea about at all. The question is if Rean's special power is inherited, or was he experimented on? That train scene in CS 1 suggests inherited, though.

Post-Finale Act
- Crossbell getting CONQUERED was another shocking twist. I thought the status quo would basically be maintained. It does make some sense that Erebonia would go after it, though. Crossbell did attack them, even with a change in government, I wouldn't expect Erebonia to take the chance that a threat like that might re-surface in the future.
- Rean doing what he explicitly ruled out earlier - participating on the front lines AND threatening "no mercy" for the Republic soldiers is a major shift in his character, even though we only saw him for a couple minutes. What happened to him? And why would he be helping Osborne like that?
- I'm going to be controlling Reporter Grace for a part, aren't I.
- Wait, I'm controlling Lloyd and Rixia? This seems pretty disconnected from Cold Steel. I guess I'll play it anyway, because it's not like I'll be seeing the Crossbell games anytime soon.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I want to chime in and say I think the Sky games make petty good use of power level bullshit because in those games Cassius and Loewe are basically the top dogs and that's it. And the gameplay does a decent job of making you earn victories instead of just cheesing everything, not that cheesing isn't loads of fun.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

- Crossbell getting CONQUERED was another shocking twist. I thought the status quo would basically be maintained. It does make some sense that Erebonia would go after it, though. Crossbell did attack them, even with a change in government, I wouldn't expect Erebonia to take the chance that a threat like that might re-surface in the future.
Post-finale:Remember that Calvard and Erebonia both REALLY wanted to annex Crossbell and with the civil war quelled, the Soldats are now under Osbourne's control, meaning that Calvard can't really compete.

Something happened to the thing that blew up Garrelia Fortress, but I think that's covered in Azure.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Post finale spoilers about Rean’s actions here: Rean’s helping invade Crossbell because Osborne effectively gave him an ultimatum. Either Rean helps take over Crossbell and in the process Erebonia avoids a bloody, drawn out war with Calvard... or he doesn’t, and a lot of people die. Rean, being loathe to see people suffer, really only has one option. He doesn’t like it at all, and that will be conveyed, but it’s fully in character for him to try and prevent bloodshed.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

- The twist just before that one, that Rufus Albarea is the Ironblood "Jade Rook" makes perfect sense in retrospect. From Sky the Third Star Door 8, Osborne made it clear that his plan was to instigate a civil war to reduce the influence of the nobility. It makes perfect sense that he'd want to be able to manipulate the Noble faction as well. Rufus is a moderate noble, he has respect for the common people, he could see a gradual transition in the influence of the nobility being inevitable as technology becomes more widespread. What a better way to control the Noble Alliance than to position someone as strong and charismatic as Rufus in control of its day-to-day operations. Rufus can stoke anti-nobility sentiment on one hand with deeds like imprisoning the imperial family, while being the "good cop" reigning them in when they go too far.
- Rean being Osborne's SON is another amazing twist I had no idea about at all. The question is if Rean's special power is inherited, or was he experimented on? That train scene in CS 1 suggests inherited, though.
Now consider that Class VII was dancing by Osborne's strings all along, as two out of its three board members were loyal to Osborne all along (and one neutral) and decided where to send them, and there was always an Ironblood checking up on them in every chapter. Hell, it's quite possible that Crow being sent to Jurai was not a coincidence at all. Olivert's pet project succeeded in some ways, but Osborne had everything under control from the start. Better luck next time, minstrel.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cold Steel 3 sheds some more light on it (not really a spoiler for that game but) he only starts doing things once Crossbell has already been occupied to repel calvard troops trying to take it back and turning the whole place into a battlefield

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Terper posted:

Now consider that Class VII was dancing by Osborne's strings all along, as two out of its three board members were loyal to Osborne all along (and one neutral) and decided where to send them, and there was always an Ironblood checking up on them in every chapter. Hell, it's quite possible that Crow being sent to Jurai was not a coincidence at all. Olivert's pet project succeeded in some ways, but Osborne had everything under control from the start. Better luck next time, minstrel.

I was pretty sure that Crow going to Jurai was not a coincidence (and a hilarious dickmove in retrospect), but I hadn't put together just how many moves ahead Osbourne was playing. Having Rufus AND Governor Regnitz on his side puts a totally different spin on the first game. Better luck next time, indeed.

I'm wondering if Osbourne will end up being the primary antagonist of the eventual final arc and for all their plotting, Ouroboros will end up being slightly allied with the bracers to take him down.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

- Wait, I'm controlling Lloyd and Rixia? This seems pretty disconnected from Cold Steel. I guess I'll play it anyway, because it's not like I'll be seeing the Crossbell games anytime soon.

One hint here: make sure to look around carefully near the starting point there, there is a rather interesting collectible that may be easy to miss...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think the biggest misstep was that the nobles were pretty much cartoonishly evil. I was kind of looking forward to shade of grey vs shade of grey, but I guess this isn't a Suikoden game.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I think the biggest misstep was that the nobles were pretty much cartoonishly evil. I was kind of looking forward to shade of grey vs shade of grey, but I guess this isn't a Suikoden game.

As I think maybe Some Numbers said earlier in the thread, part of the moral conflict is that to the rest of Zemuria, Osborne's expansionist faction is the bigger threat. The Nobles are lovely people, sure, but they're the worse option only for Erebonia. You have to look at the setting's geopolitical situation to see the gray more clearly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But since the game is only about Erbonia that part is kind of meaningless

Also the game can’t be about that as it’s kind of a twist that isn’t relevant till the end

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 16, 2018

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

As I think maybe Some Numbers said earlier in the thread, part of the moral conflict is that to the rest of Zemuria, Osborne's expansionist faction is the bigger threat. The Nobles are lovely people, sure, but they're the worse option only for Erebonia. You have to look at the setting's geopolitical situation to see the gray more clearly.

The Nobles are also an expansionist threat to the rest of the continenet, though. Probably less good at it, though, but that often means more pain.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

the nobles are trash as they should be (gently caress all nobility, it's part of the reason I dislike Liberl a lot) but that doesn't mean Osborne is good. He's still a huge fucker just for very different reasons.

Osborne doing whatever he needs to do to crush the monstrous hell faction of the nobility is absolutely justifiable, it's just arguable because he's more then willing to kill a few innocents to get there.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

OddObserver posted:

The Nobles are also an expansionist threat to the rest of the continenet, though. Probably less good at it, though, but that often means more pain.

Are they, though? Both sides suck, but as far as I know the annexation of neighboring countries has been an Osborne thing.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

- I'll start with the obvious one. I was not at all surprised that Chancellor Osborne survived. I suspected that from the ending of Cold Steel 1, in fact.

- How? Not that important I guess. maybe as simple as Zemurian Ore body armor, with some well-placed squibs and bags of pigs blood. There's a lot of ways it could happen.

Yeah, that one was kind of obvious. The dude was mentioned as early as FC's post-chapter 1 cutscene, was shown as a big threat in SC, was introduced as a 4-dimensional chessmaster in 3rd and the Crossbell games apparantly hype him up even further. That's way too much build-up for getting a bridge dropped on him that suddenly.

Rufus may be a moderate noble, but he's a hard-core Ironblood. It takes some stone-cold manipulation skills in order to instigate a civil war just to sabotage your own side. He's more deserving of the word "icy" in his nickname than Claire, who looks more than a little uncomfortable during that scene on top of the castle. Osborne having a mole inside the Alliance is kinda foreshadowed by the fact that the training shells the academy uses, Airgetlam and Claiohm Solais all come from the same place, yet Sara mentioned that the government (Osborne) pressured her into making use of the shells and Millium's an agent of the Chancelor, meaning Altina shouldn't be part of the Alliance. When Rean asks Claire about what she suspects of Altina's origins, she says it's confidential and telling him what she knows would only "confuse" him. Claire most likely knew something was up when she ran into Altina in Nord. Altina mentioned handing over Elise and Alfin to Rufus, suggesting he's the one she answers to. That's the only hints I've been able to pick up.

Anyway, Rufus being a mole is a fairly decent explanation why this civil war was more bloodless than the War of the Lions. His true allegiance casts quite a few parts of CS1 and CS2 into a new light.

- Ouroboros, the scheming, sneaky, always-according-to-plan pricks getting blindsided and out-maneuvered by Osborne, losing control of their own factory and their own plan to him is amazing.

Yeah, with the meta-plot pretty much putting the Guild, the Church (somewhat) and the heroes on one side and Ouroboros on the other, this was a move that pretty much flipped the table. Osborne essentially did what Olivert was trying to do: establish his own faction independant from the other two. Except he actually pulled it off and on a much grander scale at that.

I think that scene is meant to hint at something else, actually. From the moment where Alisa and Elliot point out Rean's weirdly shaped chest scar during swimming lessons, you know he's been operated upon, which is rare in Zemuria where most medical treatment is at the hands of the church using Thaumaturgy and traditional medicine. When Rean first runs into McBurn, the latter asks him if he's "mixed". When the two meet again on the Pantagruel, McBurn explains that it's different from a stigma and that it's something "foreign" mixed into them. (Emma theorizes that it's connected to Ouroboros' Divergent Laws...the technology that produced Loewe's sword and Weissmann's staff) McBurn notes that whatever Rean has, the source of it is in his chest. Whenever he changes into his "Ogre" form, Rean frequently grasps that spot on his chest.

Rean's "Ogre heart" frequently reacts to stuff, shown in-game as sudden flashes. Usually, he reacts to technology related to the Divine Knights' system like the doors, but every once in a while, he reacts to a person. IIRC, Rean has flashes as a reaction to exactly two people in the Cold Steel series; McBurn (before walking into his guest room) and Osborne (both after the ILF's attack on Heimdallr and during the train station scene with the Eisengraf). McBurn and Osborne most likely had similar sensations when encountering Rean, hence McBurn being able to tell that Rean was "mixed" and Osborne spotting and looking at Rean from inside the train.

Osborne most likely has something similar to Rean implemented into him, which might explain how he survived despite the big hole in his chest. Either that or whatever Zephyr was looking for was already given a trial run on the chancelor.

A neat little detail: both Rean and Osborne have a "tic" where they fold one hand across their chest while stroking their with the other while deep in thought. It's a hint the two share a relation.

Post-Finale Act

It was only a shocking twist if you played CS2 before finishing Ao. Ao blatantly states that (Cold Steel spoilers) Osborne gets assasinated and a civil war breaks out as a result in the Empire. Ao's ending apparantly also states that (Cold Steel spoilers) Osborne survived, his faction won the civil war and Crossbell gets annexed shortly after.

Yeah, you definitely wanna keep playing because the focus shifts back to Class VII later on. In the meantime, enjoy your brief "back to the basics"-dungeon crawl after having spent half a game nuking everying in sight with Domination-powered lasers from orbit. That power-up craft you now have may seem a bit high-risk, since Faint is a brutal ailment, but you can actually postpone it indefinitely by renewing the buff before it runs out. You're invulnerable to ailments while it's active too.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Are they, though? Both sides suck, but as far as I know the annexation of neighboring countries has been an Osborne thing.

I don't think they are or Calvard wouldn't have formed a temporary alliance with them. Individually, the Four Great houses' private armies aren't really large enough to annex other countries left and right, so they'd need to combine their forces in order to do that, but annexed territory would usually disproporionally benefit the House whose territory directly borders the new SEZ and since the Four Great Houses are a competitive bunch (look at Albarea's various attempts to upstage Cayenne) it's unlikely they'd be able to settle their internal feuds long enough to do something like that. Their internal divisions alone make them much less of a threat to the rest of the continent than Osborne's faction, which is monolithic and weak without its leader, but strong and disciplined with him in charge.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 16, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yall are treating this like Osborne had anything to do with the civil war.

He um really didn’t

It was Osborne’s staff vs the nobles,and who knows what they would have done

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I was suspicious before but now I'm fairly certain you haven't actually played the games

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RevolverDivider posted:

I was suspicious before but now I'm fairly certain you haven't actually played the games

I was thinking the same thing as a lot of these posts don’t really make sense with what the game tells you. People seem to be treating it like everyone knew the twist beforehand in a desperate attempt to make the game more nuanced than it is

The royal forces are the good guys and the nobles are the bad the game doesn’t really try to make it seem different.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I swear the only moment I even considered him possibly being dead was after seeing the Star Door involving him and Olivier in 3rd, when he went on about also being just a piece on the chess board. But by then it was too late to actually change my thoughts on this.

Alard fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 16, 2018

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Except for the fact that there are also nobles who aren't total dicks. Laura and her dad. Rean's family. Jusis' neighbors. Most of the upper-class students at Thors. Even Patrick slowly evolves from a total dick into someone with whom Rean has a rival-like relationship marked by grudging mutual respect. (and whose fate it seems to be to be forever cockblocked by Rean whenever Elise enters the equation) Even Patrick's dad is mentioned to be a fairly benevolent ruler overall.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'll hold off on reading Bear-Driving Truck's comment until later after I've seen more/finished the Divertissement.

OddObserver posted:

One hint here: make sure to look around carefully near the starting point there, there is a rather interesting collectible that may be easy to miss...

I found that one, almost by accident when returning to recharge my EP. So many names are dropping in these cutscenes and I don't know who any of them are.

I'm wondering now if it's worthwhile upgrading slots in orbments for these guys, because I'm not sure they'll be playable for that much longer.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yall are treating this like Osborne had anything to do with the civil war.

That's probably because he explicitly said, on screen that his goal was to start a civil war that would destroy the Noble Faction as a political power. To that end, he had instituted a lot of reforms, which incidentally poked the nobles in the eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ys: Memories of Celceta announced for PC.