Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Superman is a really good character and he gets written like poo poo.

Feels the other way around, Superman is dull as dirt until written otherwise. "The strongest handsome guy who basically can't lose and has any power he wants or really just all the powers" got old a million OCs ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Yardbomb posted:

Feels the other way around, Superman is dull as dirt until written otherwise. "The strongest handsome guy who basically can't lose and has any power he wants or really just all the powers" got old a million OCs ago.

TV Supergirl is cooler because she is Kryptonian - she has Kryptonian hangups and prejudices that she overcomes making her seem more rounded. A recent character even got her back into her old religion which has acted occasionally as a coping mechanism, a crazy person who developed a cult based around thinking Supergirl was a vessel/prophet of her god Rau.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

BioEnchanted posted:

Just make a Batman game where the main character isn't Batman. Batman gets captured by someone as Bruce and held somewhere he can't get gadgets or messages out \

So kinda the inverse of Batman Beyond, where Bruce put on his Bat Armor to rescue Terry?

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Vic posted:

Good idea. Also I'd like a game where you play the crime boss trying to overtake gotham. That would own.

GTA: Gotham

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Every time I watch this skit I can’t take my eyes off Patton Oswalt’s terrifying ears.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Just finished Song of the Deep, a sub-aquatic Metroidvania (think Aquaria, but you're in a sub), and oh boy, I'm not sure where to start.

- The story's told through bland monologues that I ended up just skipping through (I even skipped through the ending because it's that boring to listen to)

- The controls aren't fluid, excuse the pun, it just never felt as precise as I kept wanting it to be

- It's got some bugs, one of which at least I'm pretty sure kept me from getting all the upgrades in the game (on the other hand you really don't need to get everything, not even for a chievo)

- The final boss is a real let down. It's pretty much a Kraken, but you don't really fight it, instead you kill a whole bunch of the mooks you've fought a billion times throughout the adventure while waiting for it to rear its head from the background so you can break its helmet

- On the other hand, the fighting is kinda clunky and not much fun, so maybe it's good they didn't try anything ambitious with the notKraken

* The non-combat puzzles were neat though

In short, if you want a Metfloatvania I still recommend Hero Core (and I believe people like Aquaria though somehow I never bought the game)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zanzibar Ham posted:

In short, if you want a Metfloatvania I still recommend Hero Core (and I believe people like Aquaria though somehow I never bought the game)

You should really get Aquaria, the game has spectacular atmosphere and music. The controls take some getting used to but it's really smooth and easy to play. Combat isn't the best? But you don't really have to fight much anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

Well there is a city-building sim that I've seen on the shelf where you can get perks and bonuses by using Organized Crime to cheat a little. Never bought it because I don't enjoy those kinds of games but it's an interesting twist on the formula. Sim City meets Evil Genius.

What game is that?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What game is that?

I know about Mob Rule which sounds kind of like what they're describing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I started Jak 2 after finishing Precursor Legacy and I've never played this game before, I saw it played back when it was new but never played it and Jesus Christ they doubled down on that loving awful bike from the first one didn't they?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
They quadrupled down on that loving thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funniest part of Jak 2 is that there's an unlockable option to get rid of his facial hair.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Jak 3 has you unlocking progressively better vehicles as you progress in the story, but then for the final boss, who is a quadrupedal mechanical weapon with weakpoints on it's feet that are constantly moving vertically, Jak automatically jumps in the most basic armed vehicle which only has a front facing machine gun. Motherfucker jump in the Dune Buggy, not the sand shark! The Dune Buggy can jump making hitting the weakpoints easier, and has explosive weapons that arc - it would have been a much better vehicle to use tactically, and it just makes the final boss totally unfun because you're using a vehicle that is woefully unsuited for it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Vic posted:

Good idea. Also I'd like a game where you play the crime boss trying to overtake gotham. That would own.

I still think that the next Saints Row game should be trying to take Stillwater back from the Saints. You being the downtrodden underclass playing gritty and dramatic, the Saints as comically superheroic as they appeared in 3 and 4. Show how psychopathic that violence and disregard for life is from the other side.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Boss gets sucked into an alternate universe where the Saints are called the Fallen or something and they're all satanic themed

Then Boss gets to fight the only thing as deadly as they are: themselves

Plus the alternate boss could just mirror the player model and voice

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Only if it has poorly done devil horns on them

Gitro
May 29, 2013
A goatee, unless you have one, in which case they have two

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Gitro posted:

A goatee, unless you have one, in which case they have two

Nah, they are a complete paragon of virtue. Alternatively you both keep bouncing between Hero and Villain so often it looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1uX6omVhtk&t=23s

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Somfin posted:

I still think that the next Saints Row game should be trying to take Stillwater back from the Saints. You being the downtrodden underclass playing gritty and dramatic, the Saints as comically superheroic as they appeared in 3 and 4. Show how psychopathic that violence and disregard for life is from the other side.

That would be pretty good. Would get rid of some of the more bonkers upgrades as well

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

That's because you're trying to reduce a superhero to just a list of powers. If the only conflict Superman has is "can he punch this," then yeah, he's going to be boring.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

I started Jak 2 after finishing Precursor Legacy and I've never played this game before, I saw it played back when it was new but never played it and Jesus Christ they doubled down on that loving awful bike from the first one didn't they?
The vehicle controls get better in Jak 2 and 3, but there's also more of it, so it's kind of a mixed bag. Jak 2 is the best game in the series though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's because you're trying to reduce a superhero to just a list of powers. If the only conflict Superman has is "can he punch this," then yeah, he's going to be boring.

That's what characters are. Here, look at my dnd character sheets for Dostoevsky protagonists - Prince Myshkin has high charisma and wisdom, but low intelligence and strength as well as the cripple trait , etc

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's what characters are. Here, look at my dnd character sheets for Dostoevsky protagonists - Prince Myshkin has high charisma and wisdom, but low intelligence and strength as well as the cripple trait , etc
This post is both crime and punishment.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

+ No Chaos system. Game doesn't condemn you for using all those cool instruments of murder.

- You can't get the no-detection trophy as well as complete all the side-contracts. In one level you have to knock out a bartender and stash his body somewhere. There's no clever way to kidnap him without getting into a fight with six dudes.

- There sure is a lot of upgrades to buy but they aren't terribly exciting. Faster-reloads and increased-grenade capacity aren't going to change anyone's playthrough.

- You can steal someone's face for a short-time and walk around as them but the spell is broken if you act out of character. Sometimes it's difficult to know why the spell breaks when you did was walk around in public.

- This isn't a long game but there are a metric ton of bone-charms you can pick up. Like upgrades their effect on the game is minimal outside of the faster-choking one. I'd rather have a dozen major-buffs of which I could take three, instead of having to choose ten minor-buffs out of sixty. It's a system that suffers too much complexity while being skippable at the same time.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Mar 17, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

The vehicle controls get better in Jak 2 and 3, but there's also more of it, so it's kind of a mixed bag. Jak 2 is the best game in the series though.

Definitely has one of the strongest first words for a character in a game, where Jak has been tortured into turning post-modernist

Thing dragging down Metal Gear Survive: After the actual survival part gets taken care off, the RPG system in it is sadly and irritatingly shallow and apparently only improves in the ~postgame~

Which is another stupid and irritating thing: When I beat the game, I want the game to be over. It's fine that I can put it off indefinitely or the main story is only a small part of the game but there's no real sidequests or content not tied to the story in MG:S.

Also not being able to have a poky-stick and a bow is criminal

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

BioEnchanted posted:

Nah, they are a complete paragon of virtue. Alternatively you both keep bouncing between Hero and Villain so often it looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1uX6omVhtk&t=23s

BioEnchanted: Playing old games nobody talks about and watching old cartoons nobody talks about.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

PubicMice posted:

BioEnchanted: Playing old games nobody talks about and watching old cartoons nobody talks about.

No one else will. If I don't remember them and have their photo on my ofrenda they will pass into the land of the forgotten. :ohdear:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

If this is the best one I am not looking forward to the rest of this plus two more games. Jesus it feels really rough compared to the first one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BioEnchanted posted:

No one else will. If I don't remember them and have their photo on my ofrenda they will pass into the land of the forgotten. :ohdear:

Xiaolin Showdown owned when I was 12.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm about 30 so things that I enjoyed 10 years ago are fresher in my mind because I wasn't a kid when they were on. Things from the 80s or 90s are long hazy memories but 2000s later are sharper.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

If this is the best one I am not looking forward to the rest of this plus two more games. Jesus it feels really rough compared to the first one.
A lot of people prefer the first game, but I will argue strongly that 2 is better. I think the platforming is better, there's just too much other poo poo. 3 front-loads its worst content, but has some good platforming. I'm not going to convince you that you'll like it though. You probably won't if you don't so far, although IDK how far in you are.

Don't bother with Jak X (a racer) or Precursor Legacy (PSP port and total garbage).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Super Monkey Ball on the Gamecube asks 2500 points earned in single player to unlock minigames and I don't have a memory card.

I just want to play Monkey Bowling with my buddies...

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Yardbomb posted:

One Punch Man is exactly this (well, okay, he's not handsome, and the only power he has is unrivaled physical strength) but it's far from dull

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

One Punch Man is exactly this (well, okay, he's not handsome, and the only power he has is unrivaled physical strength) but it's far from dull

OPM is done silly for that though, Superman a lot of the time just feels like "I can do everything" played straight. And yeah Supes has had his "How do I empathize with fallible people" storylines but that's not really done much for me either.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the early episode when OPM has that dream of the invasion of the mole people and nearly gets killed - only for them to invade for real and him to, again, kill them with one punch. He just wants one guy who can fight him without dying :smith:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

All anime is trash. Therefore OPM cannot be anime because it is a fantastic piece of art.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

A lot of people prefer the first game, but I will argue strongly that 2 is better. I think the platforming is better, there's just too much other poo poo. 3 front-loads its worst content, but has some good platforming. I'm not going to convince you that you'll like it though. You probably won't if you don't so far, although IDK how far in you are.

Don't bother with Jak X (a racer) or Precursor Legacy (PSP port and total garbage).

I'm still pretty early in, I just got the blaster upgrade for my gun, so I'm not writing it off yet. But something about it just isn't clicking and I can't put my finger on it.

The checkpoints are awful though. I just did some sewer mission about destroying 4 turrets and I died on number 4 three or four times before I got it, and of course the checkpoint is at the beginning of the entire thing.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked Xiaolin Showdown when I was younger and got a dumb grin when I recognized the clip. That show got weird.

Bio, I'm assuming you played the game they made based on it and can give your thoughts in its regard?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jukebox Hero posted:

I liked Xiaolin Showdown when I was younger and got a dumb grin when I recognized the clip. That show got weird.

Bio, I'm assuming you played the game they made based on it and can give your thoughts in its regard?

I tried it on an emulator but it was pretty bad. I've played lots of licensed games and enjoyed most of them, currently having a blast with the Spiderwick Chronicles as each character feels like their own thing, and they are all satisfying in their own way, but the Xiaolin Showdown game gave me none of that. It's just a wave fighter, fighting waves of enemies until the prize shows up then grabbing it, and the showdowns themselves are boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'm with FAU on Jak 2 being the best. For all its faults, I felt it just did everything consistently better, but it definitely has some rough patches.

Jak X though was a pretty darn solid kart racer :colbert: