Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Trudeau should had just put a federal carbon tax in that actually made sense that spineless gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Isizzlehorn posted:

I wonder if Doug is toxic enough that, in the event of a minority PC win, the OLP and NDP form a coalition to spite him. Depends how badly the left vote splits in favor of the PC's.
It'd be more likely that they'd do a Motion of No Confidence and plunge the province into another dumb election. And that's assuming that the Cons only got a minority win.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DariusLikewise posted:

Trudeau should had just put a federal carbon tax in that actually made sense that spineless gently caress

That would involve him actually doing something. He's still trying to get through his big election promises after 3 years with a majority.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
At the last convention the ONDP leadership issued a lot of mea culpas and about it's terrible performance a d promised to do better next time. I also heard a lot of people saying that the focus should be on winning the then upcoming Federal election (lol) and thus it wasn't the right time to change leaders.

melon cat posted:

It'd be more likely that they'd do a Motion of No Confidence and plunge the province into another dumb election. And that's assuming that the Cons only got a minority win.

Why would they do something so stupid? If the Libs lose then the last thing they will want is another campaign happening immediately. I doubt the NDP could even afford to run two campaigns back to back.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Edit- disregard

melon cat has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Jan 11, 2024

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

melon cat posted:

Because Ontario politics. At this point I'm surprised if the leading parties didn't do something incredibly stupid. Like, you know, lead an internal ouster for a leader only to get their nomination hijacked by an outsider.

Speaking of, Doug Ford promised to end the minimum wage hikes today lol

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If the OPC ends up in a minority I could see them doing the Harper and just attaching confidence votes to everything to dare the OLP and ONDP to vote them down

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Reince Penis posted:

Somewhere, Mike Harris cackles.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Seems like Jagmeet Singh may have stepped in it again.
https://twitter.com/i/moments/973929369122033666

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
I'm not crazy, the brother of the internationally infamous cocaine snorting mayor of Toronto is going to be the premier of Ontario?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Literal Hamster posted:

I'm not crazy, the brother of the internationally infamous cocaine snorting mayor of Toronto is going to be the premier of Ontario?

it's fait accompli at this point, yes

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Literal Hamster posted:

Ford's most credible opponent in the race he won was a notorious ex-cokehead. What distinguished Robbie was that he was a man of the people who smoked regular old crack.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well... that and he wasn't gay.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Speaky of greasy drug dealers

quote:

High-profile pot activist Marc Emery says that if Ontario Progressive Conservative leader Doug Ford is ready to privatize the province’s soon-to-be-legal recreational pot market, he’ll line up behind him and try to help the PCs win the upcoming Ontario election.

“I would love to give him money. I would run as a candidate. I would support him, endorse him, all those things – if he abandoned the idea of government retail shops,” he told iPolitics.

“To me, that’s the offensive step in the door that can’t be undone. The idea of government directly marketing to people after putting all their competition in jail, arresting them. It’s just too repugnant for me to ever accept.”

Emery said the degree of support would depend on how free market the plan is, he said, but Ford is so far “talking the right politics.”

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/03/14/prince-of-pot-prepared-to-support-ford-if-he-privatizes-pot-in-ontario/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

infernal machines posted:

Oh god yes. Single issue cannabis voters going PC?

Amazing.

e: "Former drug dealer demands free market solutions for drug distribution" is possibly the least surprising headline ever

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Literal Hamster posted:

I'm not crazy, the brother of the internationally infamous cocaine smoking mayor of Toronto is going to be the premier of Ontario?

f i x e d

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

Seems like Jagmeet Singh may have stepped in it again.
https://twitter.com/i/moments/973929369122033666

this is "Corbyn the Terrorist Sympathizer" redone for Canada only it'll work because the alleged terrorist is not white

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-qMxeMAb6g

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A whirlwind leap forward through history with Doug Ford Thought

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Fordist Third Worldism leading the way!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

gently caress YOU

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeSmythNews/status/973659213938401280

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

yeah imagine having a vacation property

no seriously I need to imagine it because it ain't gonna happen you donkey brained fucks

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The greatest dota tournament in the world is coming to vancouver

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

vyelkin posted:

lol if you think the OLP have more in common with the NDP than the PCs

True, though it would have to be the OLP under different leadership than Wynne. If she doesn't personally loathe Doug enough to work with the NDP now, she most definitely will by the end of the election.

Reince Penis posted:

This is the kind of thing I expect the PC's to govern on, not run with. This should have been a death sentence politically but, in a post-TRUMP world, nothing matters lol.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

baloogan!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Imagine...the blade of a guillotine

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Isizzlehorn posted:

True, though it would have to be the OLP under different leadership than Wynne. If she doesn't personally loathe Doug enough to work with the NDP now, she most definitely will by the end of the election.

This is the kind of thing I expect the PC's to govern on, not run with. This should have been a death sentence politically but, in a post-TRUMP world, nothing matters lol.

Why would it be a death sentence politically? Lots of poor people who are dumb as poo poo are opposed to it. The ones previously making 15$ per hour who will now only be making 15$ per hour.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Isizzlehorn posted:

That's okay, these days the Liberals and Conservatives don't tolerate a single election loss. If you lose the election, they get rid of you ASAP. If Wynne loses, she's gone, and suddenly whatever dickhead replaces her suddenly finds that Premier Doug Ford is proposing a lot of things that make sense, wow, we really DO need to cut the deficit and privatize healthcare! Why ARE kids being taught about anal sex 24/7, that's ridiculous!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Why would it be a death sentence politically? Lots of poor people who are dumb as poo poo are opposed to it. The ones previously making 15$ per hour who will now only be making 15$ per hour.

$15 an hour used to be something you worked for, now they're just giving it away.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jordan7hm posted:

I read that ~30% of workers in Ontario earn minimum wage. That should be more than the number of people who aren't seeing raises.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no one thinks they're going to see a wage decrease if minimum wage gets repealed, it just means they'll get a raise because the company won't have to pay the new guy so much

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
the OLP is kinda like the republicans in the US in the sense that they have very dubious governing records but are actually pretty good at getting elected

this election is gonna be interesting, I'm still betting on FORD to carry this due to sheer unpopularity of Wynne, but who knows

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
also threatening to cut min wage is idiotic, it's something which FORD prob could not do even if there's a conservative majority, and promising it hurts you a lot more than it helps you

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Jordan7hm posted:

if you are in favor of min wage cut you are prob less enthusiastic about voting for the decrease than the guys who are gonna see a pay cut voting against the decrease

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

15 years of relative stability and the economy more or less being okay, but the sun prints a headline like "Ontario's lost decade?" and suddenly it's god's honest truth

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
JJ McCullough has some garbage piece in the Washington Post today called 'I'm Canadian and Trump is right about trade'

I didn't read it and I'm not linking it but I am going to cancel my online subscription I'm not paying for this poo poo

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

To be clear, Ford is proposing to freeze the minimum wage at $14 not cut it back to 11.60.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Helsing posted:

To be clear, Ford is proposing to freeze the minimum wage at $14 not cut it back to 11.60.

still complete loving bullshit

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That seems like a pretty generic and expected PC party platform item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Step 1- Aggressively maintain the status quo and find efficiencies.

Step 2- Jobs will start pouring once they take anal sex out of the curriculum.

Step 3- Reopening the abortion debate will stimulate the economy.

Edit: What would be steps 4 and 5?