Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Bronze posted:

All I see happening with Stormy is trump's lawyer cohen gets thrown under the bus. Trump then dredges up another third-string gollum lawyer from god only knows where and things get even more ridiculous.

Somewhere in Omaha, a Cinnabon manager's ears perk up and he's not quite sure why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the one i linked is the best one but i didn't realize they'd put it behind their paywall now lmao

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bronze posted:

All I see happening with Stormy is trump's lawyer cohen gets thrown under the bus. Trump then dredges up another third-string gollum lawyer from god only knows where and things get even more ridiculous.

cohen gets thrown under the boss

gets mad and decides to spill the beans to mueller on everything

:getin:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

cool kids inc. posted:

He's likely going to be running against which means this dude is gonna get lol slaughtered.

I know nothing of Polis, but I hope you are correct.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So like what if the aliens are just slowing terraforming us by allowing climate change to go unchecked, also all republicans are probably lizards ala V

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Koirhor posted:

So like what if the aliens are just slowing terraforming us by allowing climate change to go unchecked, also all republicans are probably lizards ala V

Space Lizards, thats what.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SocketWrench posted:

Man, this blows. Even in my adult years wandering a Toys R Us was like turning into a kid again

Well the weird thing is that people keep saying that they fell victim to amazon. But they still account for the largest share of toy sales and there’s no other store now that’s dedicated exclusively to toys. I find it hard to believe that they lost in some sort of fight vs a competitor.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I was reading the comments on that NYTimes story about Jade Helm 15. The top commenter basically nailed it:

A year and a half later, this exact thing got Trump elected as President.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I know nothing of Polis, but I hope you are correct.

openly gay pol from Boulder with mainstream center-left views, fairly popular with the university set

e: oh, and he's obscenely rich so there's that

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Koirhor posted:

They showed up in May 1941, but were expecting sword swinging knights on horseback, and their tech wasn't that much more advanced So they went home.

this is the world war series by Harry turtledove, only they do invade. In the first pages of the first book the invasion fleet leader has to decide whether to invade or not

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I watched a classmate get paddled almost every day in 4th grade, NE Alabama. Once in a while the teacher would pass him on to the principal, who used a cricket bat with holes bored out of it.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Kids that participated in the national walkout received corporal punishment.

https://twitter.com/royarafei/status/974741257078657028

:barf:
Drastically unpopular take incoming: reading between the lines I think the principal was actually on the students' side here. It sounds like he was forced by school board rules to punish the students either with a two-day suspension or a paddling. Normally they'd get the suspension, which would go on their permanent records and potentially gently caress up their college applications. He decided to give them the option of taking a paddling instead, using the leeway the rules gave him to interpret "paddling" as two light swats which, according to the student, were "not painful or injuring". Essentially a more-literal-than-usual slap on the wrist. That's... not what corporal punishment looks like when the person administering it wants to actually punish someone. And the dean-of-students did stress that "not all punishments like this ended this way".

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Wait - two swats of a paddle? Seriously? What the gently caress? I didn't think schools were legally allowed to do that poo poo anymore. drat.

Good for those students for not being intimidated, though.

https://boingboing.net/2018/03/16/three-teens-get-corporal-punis.html

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

i am harry posted:

I watched a classmate get paddled almost every day in 4th grade, NE Alabama. Once in a while the teacher would pass him on to the principal, who used a cricket bat with holes bored out of it.

I’ve seen a lot of corporal punishment in the classroom having gone through school in the 60’s and 70’s. I’m glad this practice has stopped for the most part. Never saw anybody get hit with a cricket bat though. Why would you drill holes in it? Reduce weight or reduce wind resistance?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Vladimir Putin posted:

I’ve seen a lot of corporal punishment in the classroom having gone through school in the 60’s and 70’s. I’m glad this practice has stopped for the most part. Never saw anybody get hit with a cricket bat though. Why would you drill holes in it? Reduce weight or reduce wind resistance?

Speed holes for maximum rear end-damage

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

They had to remove the nails and spikes after some parents complained.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

people striking kids in 2018 especially in a school is insane to me.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Vladimir Putin posted:

It travels through the air faster if you have holes in it.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

pumpinglemma posted:

Drastically unpopular take incoming: reading between the lines I think the principal was actually on the students' side here. It sounds like he was forced by school board rules to punish the students either with a two-day suspension or a paddling. Normally they'd get the suspension, which would go on their permanent records and potentially gently caress up their college applications. He decided to give them the option of taking a paddling instead, using the leeway the rules gave him to interpret "paddling" as two light swats which, according to the student, were "not painful or injuring". Essentially a more-literal-than-usual slap on the wrist. That's... not what corporal punishment looks like when the person administering it wants to actually punish someone. And the dean-of-students did stress that "not all punishments like this ended this way".

my god, pumping lemma has a lovely opinion, how loving surprising

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

enraged_camel posted:

I was reading the comments on that NYTimes story about Jade Helm 15. The top commenter basically nailed it:

That's pretty much the reason the youth movement is our only hope. The previous generations have childhood memories of "how things were/should be" and cling to them as the normal. Millennials don't have those false promises of prosperity driving a futile, regressive quest backwards. They don't cling to poo poo, they start from a question of "how do we make society better" not "how do we make society 1962 again".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That charming map showing the states where children can still be beaten in school? That's public schools only!

I believe only two states forbid beating children in private schools, or at least that was the case the last time this discussion happened. There's a bunch of sick loving assholes all over the US, no question!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

botany posted:

The kids quoted in the article said that though, I thought?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

botany posted:

gently caress you too, buddy! :)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Like if I lived in one of those states it would be made clear if you hit my kid I show up at your house and hit you

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Pander posted:

That's pretty much the reason the youth movement is our only hope. The previous generations have childhood memories of "how things were/should be" and cling to them as the normal. Millennials don't have those false promises of prosperity driving a futile, regressive quest backwards. They don't cling to poo poo, they start from a question of "how do we make society better" not "how do we make society 1962 again".

I feel like there's a profound thesis to be written about the compulsive and futile longing for the past are animating almost every element of our society right now, from our politics to our entertainment industry, which literally has no idea what to do except reboot and reimagine every single piece of minutiae a Gen-Xer might have enjoyed in childhood. Like they're obviously different, but I think Ready Player One speaks to pretty much the exact same emotional longing as MAGA.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

They had to remove the nails and spikes after some parents complained.

I see how that’s an attempt at a joke but it’s not really funny after the amount of more or less violence by teachers towards students that I’ve seen.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
not child abuse chat-related, but this is an interesting article about why Japanese consumers don't buy American cars. obviously, it has nothing to do with Trump's ridiculous mushbrain bowling ball fixation

it's because American cars have the rightly-gained image of being pieces of poo poo, and American manufacturers don't even give enough of a poo poo to try to sell to a japanese market that doesn't accept the American Way of treating your customers like garbage :ssh:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Koirhor posted:

Like if I lived in one of those states it would be made clear if you hit my kid I show up at your house and hit you

...with a baseball bat, and right upside the head instead of on the rear end.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Aves Maria! posted:

not child abuse chat-related, but this is an interesting article about why Japanese consumers don't buy American cars. obviously, it has nothing to do with Trump's ridiculous mushbrain bowling ball fixation

it's because American cars have the rightly-gained image of being pieces of poo poo, and American manufacturers don't even give enough of a poo poo to try to sell to a japanese market that doesn't accept the American Way of treating your customers like garbage :ssh:

I don’t think a lot of people in America want to buy American cars.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Koirhor posted:

We had this in Kansas in the mid-90s when I used to live there. Parents had to sign for it as part of the public school admission process, that they agreed to the potential punishments.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aves Maria! posted:

this is the same reason i dont buy american cars. sorry detroit, american cars are garbage

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Crow Jane posted:

The White House staff must be either following him into the bathroom to keep him from tweeting about it, or they're playing the world's longest ever game of keepaway with his phone

He also hasn't live-tweeted Fox & Friends in 10 days, the longest such streak of the presidency

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

DLC Inc posted:

if loving in the white house didn't bring down Clinton, why would it bring down an infinitely more "who gives a gently caress what I do" president?

Not the same situation.

Clinton's situation was ultimately about perjury, which he WAS found guilty of but it was such a bullshit "AHA! Finally found something" result of years of digging that no one in the Senate was going to touch it.

The Trump situation at this point involves: Violating campaign finance laws, violating legal agreements (through sheer idiocy), violating regular financial laws to try and cover up violating the Campaign Finance laws, and (if Stormy's lawer isn't blowing smoke) threats of physical harm from a sitting President, potentially involving threats of abusing the power of the office to faccilitate them.

And that's not even counting the social bullshit which also puts Trump's philandering at a much higher level than Clinton's sketchy poo poo. AND AND that's not even counting the 6 other potential women who may be in the same position as Stormy.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Sundae posted:

We had this in Kansas in the mid-90s when I used to live there. Parents had to sign for it as part of the public school admission process, that they agreed to the potential punishments.

Would the school refuse to admit the kid if the parents declined? Jfc :psyduck:

I love my dead gay blue state public school education

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

boner confessor posted:

this is the same reason i dont buy american cars. sorry detroit, american cars are garbage

prepare to answer to KM

same

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

enraged_camel posted:

Among whites, maybe. Most of his base still had good jobs.

Economically challenged non-whites didn't vote for trump.

To make this about a left-behind middle and working class ignores race.

It was VERY about race.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sCWkBPML4E

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

From that article it seems that it’s more of an issue of American manufactures not having them agility to compete effectively in Japan.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm quite happy with my Ford Fiesta which was developed and refined for years in Europe before being ported back to Detroit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Vladimir Putin posted:

A flat paddle damages the underlying tissue but it doesn't do much to the skin. A paddle with holes in it can break the skin or create welts as the skin is deformed through the holes on contact.

• Locked thread