Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I may have misunderstood the Times article on making a salad. :v: It was kind of a trial run/what-can-I-make thing, too...

So if I assume that dandelion greens would always be plentiful and on hand, what kind of mildness could I bring in to even it out? Is that a matter of some other leaves to bring in, or some other kind of ingredient? What kind of mildness are we talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you're all about winging dishes, you should look into getting the Flavor Bible and getting inspiration from that cuz your palate could use some help :cheeky:

Here's what it says about dandelion greens and bitter greens in general

I like sweeter citrus and goat cheese with a stronger mustardy/vinegary dressing with dandelion greens.

Edit: roasted beets pair really well with dandelion greens too. So does bacon.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Squashy Nipples posted:

I heard a scary report on them on NPR a few weeks back... some of them stick around in your body for a long time.

Also, it's in everything now. They tested the pee from a sample of volunteers, and among the people who said that they had NOT consumed any artificial sweetners, and 70% of them had them in their pee. Seriously, jarred marainara sauces use it now... I even found some in a container of seafood salad I bought I last week (in the surimi).

So, you are right, no hard evidence yet... but enough to make me concerned about it.

Every time I have looked into reports of artificial sweeteners having some sort of health issue it's been proven to be bunk later on when people try to reproduce the results. Don't trust any major media outlet when it comes to science reporting, they tend to be pretty terrible at it and egregious inaccuracies are almost ubiquitous. On top of the reporting being inaccurate almost as a matter of course you have inaccuracies introduced on purpose to make the story sound more sensational.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Miracle upon miracles, I have that or can get that easily by tomorrow evening! I can probably make...dandelion greens with goat cheese and bacon, in a garlic-dijon olive oil/balsamic-vinegar dressing (I think I have lemons that I can use instead, too). I ate all the oranges, though...well, I'll get more.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Every time I have looked into reports of artificial sweeteners having some sort of health issue it's been proven to be bunk later on when people try to reproduce the results. Don't trust any major media outlet when it comes to science reporting, they tend to be pretty terrible at it and egregious inaccuracies are almost ubiquitous. On top of the reporting being inaccurate almost as a matter of course you have inaccuracies introduced on purpose to make the story sound more sensational.

I hear you, and I agree. I'm just a little freaked out by how much it's creeping into all packaged foods... why would you need it in surimi? What's wrong with a little sugar? It's not like it's a diet food.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I made chocolate souflee tonight. I've never eaten chocolate souflee (or any kind of souflee for that matter), so I don't know if I did it right. It looked like the pictures, and the texture was a cross between angel food cake and chocolate mousse. In an earlier post, I mentioned pouring Creme Anglaise over puff pastry and adding berries. I might just use chocolate souflee instead (collapsing the souflee and filling the hole in the center with custard.

The chef in the video said it was a simplified recipe. This is it:
1) Heat a cup or so of whole milk with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch until simmering.
2) Before it boils, pour it over 300g of chocolate. Other recipes call for melting the chocolate then pouring it into the milk. It seems that heating the milk and pouring it over the chocolate is easier. Does it affect the flavor?
3) When cooled a bit, add 2 egg yolks to the milk/chocolate mix.
4) Beat three egg whites until stiff.
5) Carefully fold the egg whites into the chocolate/milk/yolk mix.
6) Pour into ramekins and bake 30 minutes at 350.

Two questions:

1) Does this recipe look legit? What would you change?
2) Can I sub in other ingredients instead of chocolate? White chocolate? Cake flour with berry compote?

EDIT: Also, would whipping cream be better than whole milk?

Bagheera fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 16, 2018

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

I hear you, and I agree. I'm just a little freaked out by how much it's creeping into all packaged foods... why would you need it in surimi? What's wrong with a little sugar? It's not like it's a diet food.

1) Sugar is more expensive and has calories. Joe Consumer cares about food being cheap and lo-cal. People who watch their portions and like to taste their food prefer sugar, but most of the population doesn't.
2) Just because something is "creeping into all packaged foods" doesn't mean it's unhealthy. I've yet to see an actual scientific study that proves a link between aspartme, saccarin, or xylitol and any health ailment. I have seen a shitload of Goop-y pseudoscience about them, but I prefer actual science.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Actually, after using Splenda for sometime, real sugar is syrupy, clingy, and unpleasant in the mouth.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Getting a 20lb tank of CO2 at home to have basically infinite sparkling water has been one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. Also it makes dusting a lot more fun. And yes, bitters + sparkles =tasty refreshments. Extra fun is throwing in some fresh basil/mint/cucumber/berries/whatever the garden has for me.

Still a sucker for the 2 slice + a can of coke lunch though.

Or the steak and a beer.

Or just a beer.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Bagheera posted:

Two questions:

1) Does this recipe look legit? What would you change?
2) Can I sub in other ingredients instead of chocolate? White chocolate? Cake flour with berry compote?

The description of "angel food cake and chocolate mousse" sounds like it worked fine. I wouldn't gently caress with the recipe at all though. Souffles are really temperamental, and subbing ingredients is likely to lead to disaster, unless you want to really read up on the science of how a souffle works and spend hours of trial end error getting it right. You can probably get away with the choclate -> white chocolate, if you like.

I would worry that pouring creme anglais into the souffle is going to make it just go soggy and ruin it. Also, I'm not really sure a creme anglais is going to add too much to dish as a whole. If you want to add something to the souffle, you want something that offers a contrast in flavours (e.g. something sour, like a rasperberry compote) or in texture (e.g. some thing cruchy, like toasted nuts), or both. Also, given the delicate nature of the souffle it's probably better to put it on the plate next to the souffle rather than in it/on it.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Anyone here have some preferred Middle East/Western Mediterranean recipes? Not just dishes but actual suggestions for ingredient lists and seasoning/cooking tips. I'm gonna be digging through google for stuff anyway but I figured it's worth asking people whose food opinions I trust before going to IDefinitelyKnowHowToMakeBabaGanouj.org or whatever

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Check out Ottolenghi's cookbooks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

second

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Got a 1.3lb or so top sirloin steak, but still in process of moving into a new place and using oven isn't really an option tonight (rack in there is disgustingly filthy and no baking pans. I have a gas stove top and deep trying pan with lid to work with. What's the best way to stovetop fry a medium rare steak, what temperature do I need to reach on it (I have a remote thermometer), and if I have some baby portabella mushrooms and/or some bell peppers can I cook them in the same pan as the steak or should I put them separate? Haven't really cooked anything in forever since just lived off the cafe in campus for past year.

Spice/sauce wise only really have salt and pepper grinders, worhcester and a-1 and soy sauces, coriander seed, cumin, thyme, garlic powder, dill seed, turmeric, allspice, and mustard seed to work with.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Casu Marzu posted:

Thirded
And also check out Claudia Roden too.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I'm about to embark on a quest to dry age a big chunk of cow (by which I mean I have my setup and just need to go buy some meat). Is there a thread for this sort of thing somewhere?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Zerilan posted:

Got a 1.3lb or so top sirloin steak, but still in process of moving into a new place and using oven isn't really an option tonight (rack in there is disgustingly filthy and no baking pans. I have a gas stove top and deep trying pan with lid to work with. What's the best way to stovetop fry a medium rare steak, what temperature do I need to reach on it (I have a remote thermometer), and if I have some baby portabella mushrooms and/or some bell peppers can I cook them in the same pan as the steak or should I put them separate? Haven't really cooked anything in forever since just lived off the cafe in campus for past year.

Spice/sauce wise only really have salt and pepper grinders, worhcester and a-1 and soy sauces, coriander seed, cumin, thyme, garlic powder, dill seed, turmeric, allspice, and mustard seed to work with.

Get the pan over a medium heat, let the pan warm up, throw a tablespoon of butter and a drizzle of any cooking oil in. Let the butter sizzle and clarify, getting all the moisture out. DRY YOUR STEAK OFF. Pat it with paper towels. The dryer it is on tje surface, the better it will brown. Crack some pepper on that bad boy too. Once the butter stops sizzling, pop your steak in the pan. Cook it uncovered for 5 minutes, flip, take a temperature reading. You're looking for 125 at the middle. Once you get there, pull the steak out of the pan, let it rest on a plate, cover it with tin foil.

Same pan, don't wash it or anything, you want any crispy steak bits, get a bit more butter in there, get it back to medium heat, let the butter do it's clarifying thing, and throw in a heavy dash of garlic powder, then put your veggies in. Stir and scrape around the pan to loosen up any fond (good steak stuff left over) at the bottom, lower the heat to low, then cover and let cook while the steak rests for 10 minutes. Check the veggies every few minutes and at the last minute (the mushrooms will let off a lot of liquid, do not be alarmed, it is natural and delicious) jot some Worcester in there and let that simmer a bit.

Check your steak after 10 minutes, see that the temperature has come to 130-135. If it's still low, you can always pop it in a 200 degree oven, or put it back on the pan (sand veggies) for a bit. Either way, add the steak juices on the resting plate into your veggies. Salt, pepper, and Worcester to taste, and enjoy. Clean your cooktop and one pan.

Some might reccomend a reverse sear, where the steak sits in the oven until it's 135, then doing a really high heat sear, but this technique can be tricky, and take a bit long for my tastes. I just like to get it in the pan and in my mouth.

Good luck!

Edited for lower steak temps

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 17, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

140 is in no way medium-rare. I'd aim for 127ish cuz that's gonna carry up quite a bit and sirloin is lean enough you don't wanna chance overcooking it at all.

You should be heating the oil up to near its smoke point, where its shimmering and a couple wisps of smoke are coming out of the pan, prob med-high to near max depending on how much heat your stove is putting out.

If you want butter, add it near the end of the cook and baste with a spoon. Adding it early is just gonna cause the milk proteins to burn and that's not delicious.

Don't pepper it ahead either, pepper burns fast and goes bitter.

Hot pan, dry, salted meat, bit of high temp oil, 3-4 minutes a side and temp to 127ish. Let it rest.

Do you have beer or wine or stock around? A quarter cup in the pan after you saute your veg will make a nice pan sauce.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 17, 2018

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah this seems like what I want, thanks!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Casu Marzu posted:

You should be heating the oil up to near its smoke point, where its shimmering and a couple wisps of smoke are coming out of the pan, prob med-high to near max depending on how much heat your stove is putting out.

I was trying to present a lower heat alternative for an out of practice cook on an unfamiliar, possibly questionable cooktop. I did overshoot the temperature, because I'm usually cooking steak for my family, and they are giant babies about redness. I apologize and have edited my post.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today I made a greens salad of:

- Dandelion greens (peppery, rather bitter)
- Bacon (crispy, nice and fatty)
- Well-sauteed mushrooms (added a good bit of bite and savoriness to the salad)
- Goat cheese (creamy and delicious but it turns out this is not easy to cut into pieces)
- Shredded carrots (I wanted to use them up)

with an olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing.

That...was not bad! Texture needs work - the dandelions greens felt like I was eating a bunch of tough stems rather than leaves, so maybe next time I'll use something less tough and fibrous - but the taste was great and the bacon-mushroom-cheese-vinegar mixture was :mwah:

In the future, I might sautee the dandelion greens themselves to remove the fibrousness. It was also quite bitter, and I ended up adding a little sugar to balance it out. Completely ruined the entire point of the salad, but it tasted a lot better afterwards. In fact, I might outright use something other than dandelion greens in the future...

Any critique? The main problems I could see were the dandelion greens not being a great option for the leafage, and needing more bacon. Is there anything I could have missed?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 17, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pollyanna posted:

Any critique? The main problems I could see were the dandelion greens not being a great option for the leafage, and needing more bacon. Is there anything I could have missed?

Cut the dandelion greens with spinach, romaine, some kind of mild roughage.

Or get all 70's, make a wedge salad. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017453-st-anselms-iceberg-wedge-salad

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I only use dandelion greens in sautees.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Today I made a greens salad of:

- Dandelion greens (peppery, rather bitter)
- Bacon (crispy, nice and fatty)
- Well-sauteed mushrooms (added a good bit of bite and savoriness to the salad)
- Goat cheese (creamy and delicious but it turns out this is not easy to cut into pieces)
- Shredded carrots (I wanted to use them up)

with an olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing.

That...was not bad! Texture needs work - the dandelions greens felt like I was eating a bunch of tough stems rather than leaves, so maybe next time I'll use something less tough and fibrous - but the taste was great and the bacon-mushroom-cheese-vinegar mixture was :mwah:

In the future, I might sautee the dandelion greens themselves to remove the fibrousness. It was also quite bitter, and I ended up adding a little sugar to balance it out. Completely ruined the entire point of the salad, but it tasted a lot better afterwards. In fact, I might outright use something other than dandelion greens in the future...

That's a pretty nice salad, but I've highlighted the parts where you've identified the problem. Why not try arugula and spinach if you want some greens that are more exciting than lettuce?

Throw some walnuts or maybe pecans on there if you've got some lying around. Sometimes my wife gets these little snack pouches that have some walnuts, dried cranberries, sesame seeds, etc. and just dumps the whole packet on the salad which is an easy way to turn a bowl of spinach + some dressing into a much more interesting thing.

Depending on the type of mushroom, I quite like raw mushrooms on a salad too.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I like a mix of spinach and romaine for my salad greens, the spinach is tender and the romaine gives you some nice crunch. Thin apple slices are a really nice way to add some crunch and sweetness to a salad if you are using more bitter greens.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Spinach, sorrel, rucola is my go-to mix of leafy bits. Crunch can come from bean sprouts / thinly sliced bell pepper / whatever.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I dunno about using the dandelion greens raw...since they're mostly stem, I would probably expect them to be better sauteed, as was mentioned. I can try that out. Spinach, arugula, etc. could be a good substitute with some more crunch alongside it!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 18, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I love bitter poo poo, and I would still look askance at a salad of pure, raw dandelion greens

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lemme just put some spinach and arugula on my shopping list...

That reminds me, what do people find easier to clean: whole mushrooms, or sliced mushrooms? I feel like the former is easier but the latter is somewhat less work.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pollyanna posted:

Lemme just put some spinach and arugula on my shopping list...

That reminds me, what do people find easier to clean: whole mushrooms, or sliced mushrooms? I feel like the former is easier but the latter is somewhat less work.

I gotta ask, where do you live that you have such access to dandelion greens? Are you picking them yourself, or live near a store that has them cheap?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The Whole Foods near me seems to always have them

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I live in a rather disadvantaged area, so cheap foods like dandelion greens are very common.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Don't they make you pee a lot?

(dandelions, that is)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dandelion root is a diuretic. I have no idea about the greens.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Wedge Regret
Probably a question that is asked every day or so.

What are your go to recipe sites? (besides serious eats)

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

apatheticman posted:

Probably a question that is asked every day or so.

What are your go to recipe sites? (besides serious eats)

Cooks Illustrated (requires a paid subscription), The Mala Market, The Woks of Life, African Bites

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pollyanna posted:

what do people find easier to clean: whole mushrooms, or sliced mushrooms? I feel like the former is easier but the latter is somewhat less work.

I've never cleaned sliced mushrooms. I feel like anything truly harmful would require more than brushing or rinsing anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can't imagine dirt has a particularly nice mouthfeel.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

When they say a pan is 10.25" is that from lip to lip, or is that the inside cooking area (not accounting for the flare, where the pan starts to move vertically)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

obi_ant posted:

When they say a pan is 10.25" is that from lip to lip, or is that the inside cooking area (not accounting for the flare, where the pan starts to move vertically)?

Generally it's either from edge to edge or from inner edge to inner edge, but without being able to measure the pan yourself it can be hard to tell. Inner edge measurements are much more useful because that tells you what size of lid you would need for the pan.