Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I feel like I should read Giant Size Man-Thing since I used to enjoy when they'd make that joke in Wizard every single month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't know what its reputation has you believing. It's just Man-Thing, only bigger.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gerber's Man-Thing is one of the all-time great runs and one of Neil Gaiman's biggest inspirations for Sandman.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Unmature posted:

I feel like I should read Giant Size Man-Thing since I used to enjoy when they'd make that joke in Wizard every single month

It's good comics, but at the same time it's essentially a Man-Thing annual. For a short time in the early 70's Marvel dropped the annuals for more irregularly schedule "Giant-Sized" whatever. Hence, Giant-Sized Avengers wrapping up the Korvac saga or Giant-Sized X-Men introducing a hip new multiethnic team (the All-New, All-Different X-Men really were the BK Kids of the 1970's; they even had a member in a wheelchair).

Anyway, the real point is just read Gerber's Man-Thing run in general, particularly the Mike Ploog issues.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know how it took nearly thirty years for someone to get to this joke.

Thunderbolts #162

A comic book has made this joke at least once a year each year since the 90s. It’s the lowest of hanging fruit.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ecavalli posted:

It’s the lowest of hanging fruit.

:thejoke:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ecavalli posted:

A comic book has made this joke at least once a year each year since the 90s. It’s the lowest of hanging fruit.

They've had "giant-sized man-thing hurr hurr" jokes. But I can't think of other times where the Man-Thing has become Giant-Sized.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Everyone has their moment of shame, where the incredibly obvious joke goes over their head.

This is my moment. I just now, as a result of reading the last page of posts, realized why "Giant-Sized Man-Thing" was funny. It's a dick joke.

gently caress.

This is me: https://i.imgur.com/W6pE68z.mp4

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

Everyone has their moment of shame, where the incredibly obvious joke goes over their head.

This is my moment. I just now, as a result of reading the last page of posts, realized why "Giant-Sized Man-Thing" was funny. It's a dick joke.

gently caress.

What? No, it's a clever play on words based on the old comic book, Giant-Sized....
....oh. OH.
(I just got this too.)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

gently caress.

This is me: https://i.imgur.com/W6pE68z.mp4

It's okay. It took me ages to get why Scarecrow went with a Scarecrow theme.

"Oh, SCARE Crow. Because those are used to scare things. :suicide:"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Lotta dumbasses on this page.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

In my defense for never understanding those jokes english is not my first language, and I learned it playing video games.

Tho I did understand why Giant-Sized Man-Thing was funny pretty quickly.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I realized that he's got one eye as another penis reference.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I realized that he's got one eye as another penis reference.

Yes, he's literally a one-eye'd monster.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Uh, Man Thing has two eyes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

gently caress.

(Captain Marvel #21)

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Adnor posted:

In my defense for never understanding those jokes english is not my first language, and I learned it playing video games.

Okay, whoa, hang on a sec: I love Man-Thing chat as much as the next poster, but can we take a moment to appreciate that Adnor learned English from playing video games?!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'll just... leave this here...

(Spiderman/Deadpoool issue 4. Sorry if it's already been posted, I'm like a thousand posts behind)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Words fail me at the beauty of those pages.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ecavalli posted:

Okay, whoa, hang on a sec: I love Man-Thing chat as much as the next poster, but can we take a moment to appreciate that Adnor learned English from playing video games?!

You'd be surprised how many people learn English through video games. I've seen a few goons tell their stories.

My friend has a cousin that is half Japanese, and they used imported Pokémon games to help him with his Japanese when he was little.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

ecavalli posted:

Most Chileans my age that know english learned by playing videogames and watching movies because our education system is bad. My school changed english teacher every year so they always taught the verb to be, nothing else.

I'm pretty sure it's similar in most countries of LatAm.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Adnor posted:

Most Chileans my age that know english learned by playing videogames and watching movies because our education system is bad. My school changed english teacher every year so they always taught the verb to be, nothing else.

So you're saying your entire English Language final every year was just

A)To be
or
B) Not to be

That was the question?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

You'd be surprised how many people learn English through video games. I've seen a few goons tell their stories.

My friend has a cousin that is half Japanese, and they used imported Pokémon games to help him with his Japanese when he was little.

They grew up in America so it's not the same, but my friend's little brother basically learned to read off old Lucas Arts adventure games, the DOS ones without voice acting.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Adnor posted:

As a Chilean who also learned English mostly through video games, I can confirm.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Weird, I learned to read from Ssoc comics. Which was... Eventful

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cuchulain posted:

So you're saying your entire English Language final every year was just

A)To be
or
B) Not to be

That was the question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I learned rudimentary French off my mother's Asterix comics. Didn't use it for anything and took actual classes in high school, but that was my start.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Full Throttle kickstarted my English learning, as I had to keep a dictionary next to me to solve those puzzles but I only properly learned when I began browsing the web when I was 14 or so. Had actual classes in middle school and high school but those were terrible and I could never pay for particular courses.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 17, 2018

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Gotta say, this has been a pretty excellent page of the thread. :)

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
It’s not as exciting, but I can say that growing up playing text parser games and Sierra adventures helped my typing.

Also, growing up watching old TV shows on the local oldies station let me answer all the age gate questions on Leisure Suit Larry 3 correctly.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I saw this posted by Seanbaby on Twitter, and it’s either a pretty good edit or deliberate innuendo:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Gann Jerrod posted:

I saw this posted by Seanbaby on Twitter, and it’s either a pretty good edit or deliberate innuendo:

It's not an edit.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Thanos #16

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I mean, he's not going to heaven anyway.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Am I missing something with the last two panels posts?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Ben Reilly page is missing the one before where he asks the girl if she's really a little girl (she's not, she's some spirit/demon/whatever in the shape of a girl), before summarily punching her out.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ah the Underage Anime Defense.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I was wondering why Spider-Man decked a kid so hard they flew into a wall

Cuz that didnt seem that funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

[Invaders #33]