Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Edit: In response to reactions to Mormon missionaries at the bottom of the last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I generally tell them that if I wanted a non-Trinitarian faith, I'd at least be intellectually honest about it - that would entail converting to Islam.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
try to get them to say the shahada

the whole mormon missionary thing is weird because it's reserved for young guys who have gone to "seminary" (which is mormon sunday school) and then take an intensive course in apologetics before they get sent out to go knocking on doors. but it's mostly the unchurched they're targeting. the reason why they go in pairs is so that one can narc on the other if he has a lapse in his faith. and then if you get combative while talking to them they'll peace out and sic an elder on you that's more versed in arguing with people over doctrine.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

I just tell Mormons to go take their door-to-door magic underwear sales elsewhere

Maybe I get it from my mom. She’s very nice to them, lets them know she isn’t interested in being Mormon, but is happy to hear what they have to say.

I’m similar, but I’d likely* talk theology with them. It used to be my goal was to convince them their beliefs were “silly and erroneous.” I am deeply sorry for having such a proud and insensitive disposition, I recognize my heart was in the wrong place.

* I say likely because while these guys wanted to talk they literally caught me 10 minutes before I had to leave to go out of town.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Numerical Anxiety posted:

I generally tell them that if I wanted a non-Trinitarian faith, I'd at least be intellectually honest about it - that would entail converting to Islam.

What, you don't want to give Dale Tuggy some company?

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I had to look him up - an analytic philosopher who is interested in the trinity? There is perhaps no description more likely to make me cringe in every corner of my mind.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I also talk to nontrinitarian missionaries, but I'm more interested in hearing about their personal spirituality rather than comparing formal theologies. At the same time, I also feel a barrier to closeness with them, coming from the missionary role they're playing and the prospective convert role they'd like me to play. Ah well, that's how it is during this bitch of an endtime.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

reminder that some mormon denominations are trinitarian

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Some smaller schismatic churches from the same root as the JWs are more trinitarian, too. But in my life, I remember only meeting three kinds of missionaries: JWs, Mormons, and Hare Krishnas. Easily the most organized were the JWs.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Caufman posted:

Some smaller schismatic churches from the same root as the JWs are more trinitarian, too. But in my life, I remember only meeting three kinds of missionaries: JWs, Mormons, and Hare Krishnas. Easily the most organized were the JWs.

Hare Krishnas used to go chanting down the sidewalk outside my window at the crack of dawn, but never actually proselytized that I can remember.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

reminder that some mormon denominations are trinitarian

Do the non-LDS Mormons send out missionaries though? I thought it was a safe assumption that the uncomfortable twenty-somethings on my doorstep hold views that would make Arius blush.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

P-Mack posted:

Hare Krishnas used to go chanting down the sidewalk outside my window at the crack of dawn, but never actually proselytized that I can remember.

I encountered one on a college campus. I still have the copy of the Bhagavad Gita that he freely gave me, though I haven't read it I think his name was Matthew.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Do the non-LDS Mormons send out missionaries though? I thought it was a safe assumption that the uncomfortable twenty-somethings on my doorstep hold views that would make Arius blush.

i don't know but i feel like it's not the most well known bit of info when it comes to the LDS movement

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I had to look him up - an analytic philosopher who is interested in the trinity? There is perhaps no description more likely to make me cringe in every corner of my mind.

He has a podcast, in most of which he's challenging trinitarians to make sense of the trinity.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

has this been posted before?

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Is there anything you guys do when you're feeling out of touch spiritually? Lately I don't want to go to church anymore (I used to love it), I get pissy about tithing but feel obligated for a couple reasons, the Bible bores the poo poo out of me at best. Sometimes it just straight up pisses me off. Like I don't consider myself ultra religious or anything but I'm a bit worried something is up. Things just aren't clicking like they used to or something. I've thought about just talking to my pastor but I'm easily embarrassed about this stuff. Maybe I need a break? Is feeling this way normal? My girlfriend jokes that I'm a catholic at heart and maybe she's right because all of this makes me feel extremely guilty and maybe I'd be more interested in church lately if there were cooler hats.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

CountFosco posted:

He has a podcast.

Have mercy, please. I didn't think it could be worse, but there it is.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm always upfront with the LDS guys that I'm not interested but offer ice water and snacks while complimenting their commitment to disaster prep and lamenting its historical neccessity.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Goobish posted:

Is there anything you guys do when you're feeling out of touch spiritually? Lately I don't want to go to church anymore (I used to love it), I get pissy about tithing but feel obligated for a couple reasons, the Bible bores the poo poo out of me at best. Sometimes it just straight up pisses me off. Like I don't consider myself ultra religious or anything but I'm a bit worried something is up. Things just aren't clicking like they used to or something. I've thought about just talking to my pastor but I'm easily embarrassed about this stuff. Maybe I need a break? Is feeling this way normal? My girlfriend jokes that I'm a catholic at heart and maybe she's right because all of this makes me feel extremely guilty and maybe I'd be more interested in church lately if there were cooler hats.

Pray/contemplate/meditate/wrestle ceaselessly. I think what you're experiencing is normal. Has something like this happened before? It may be cyclical, but I'd go far as to say that it may precipitate a lasting spiritual change.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Religion is just like anything else, sometimes you're going to be more into other things in life

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

P-Mack posted:

I'm still loving angry about being pressured into paying ten pounds for one of their stupid loving books when I was 14. It was a straight up scam: they gave me a "free book" then followed me down the street demanding a donation, refusing to take the book back, and guilting me about how much they cost to print, all the time with these creepy angry smiles. Because I was at an age when embarrassment feels physically painful, I ended up giving them a "donation", then threw the book in the bin.

Anyway, that's my story about how some Hare Krishnas were mean to me a decade and a half ago.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I find it kind of funny that you're all ragging on mormons - don't we all have one( or more) invisible friends in the sky?

Religion is something people do, and there are plenty of culturally consistent reasons to become mormon. A mate of mine used to be a torturer for Hell's Angels, and got his baptism as a mormon when he got clean, and today he's one of the best christians I know, even if his churchs theology is odd.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

plus they've got a sweet colony ship

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My problem with Mormons is that they tend to say they're Christians when by my definitions they are not, they're a different and separate Abrahamic faith.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oof, I've been five pages behind this thread at least since Ash Wednesday. I'm finally all caught up, and want to post this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJAmHvYH1YE

I've also noticed pidan has removed all their posts in the thread, so I hope everything's okay.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Have mercy, please. I didn't think it could be worse, but there it is.

His podcast's most recent interview is with a French Calvinist who wrote a book called "Excusing Sinners and Blaming God: A Calvinist Assessment of Determinism, Moral Responsibility, and Divine Involvement in Evil"

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Pidan's ok I think, he just got a little over the top with his rhetoric and I guess deleted the posts because he regretted it. Let's all hope that going forward he has tranquility and calm.

That Nachos story was pretty good. Very human.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Goobish posted:

Take a day off and go do something outdoors in silence. That feeling is very normal.

Though cool hats are helpful.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Goobish posted:

My girlfriend jokes that I'm a catholic at heart and maybe she's right because all of this makes me feel extremely guilty and maybe I'd be more interested in church lately if there were cooler hats.

You're being drawn into the One True Church where the priests have funny hats but NOT beards or wives.

On a more serious note, this feeling is normal but Protestants just don't have much to do outside of reading the Bible and going to church. As opposed to Catholics, who have the liturgy of the hours, the rosary, holy water, etc. which allow you to connect with the church at all times even when you're not really feelin' it. See if your church has any volunteer groups you can join, because that was always helpful for me.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
It is hard to get confession these days, the priests are always so busy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

P-Mack posted:

Back when I was in college (this would have been, oh, 21-22 years ago now) taking a comparative religions course, my class visited a (possibly the, but I'm not sure) Hare Krishna temple in Washington DC. The guy who met with us and answered questions for an hour was super cool and clearly pleased to be hosting us, but about ten minutes before our time there was up things hit a lull, and he said "Okay, we have a few minutes left, and I can either answer some more questions or we can do some chanting."

I have never seen so many hands go up so quickly in my life.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
In my South Asian Religions course in college we got to visit an actual real-life cult compound.

Still not sure what the hell that was about.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Ceciltron posted:

It is hard to get confession these days, the priests are always so busy.

Just go ahead and confess to the internet.

For real, just before Easter is "big fish season" according to our priest.

Tias
May 25, 2008

The great spring blót is done! Lots of offerings and prayers to Frej and Freja, and we got to hear the story of Skade and Njords marriage, good times <3

Cythereal posted:

My problem with Mormons is that they tend to say they're Christians when by my definitions they are not, they're a different and separate Abrahamic faith.

I think I found the sum total of your problem :)

E: Holy poo poo, I just heard about St. Brigid today! Why do we give a poo poo about a pagan-killing nationalist on March 17 when she's the patron saint of appreciating noble cattes

Tias fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 17, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
St. Patrick was not a nationalist and he didn't kill people.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nah, he's sort of like Jesus that way: Cool dude, but his fringe fans are the loving worst

I think it's pretty well-established that the 'removing snakes from ireland' thing is a reference to his christianizing influence, which wasn't always peaceful. I'd be happy to know more, though.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
On this most holy day of solemnity many Catholics in the United States will get blackout drunk before noon.

You could probably complain about that. I'm not sure where your idea that St. Patrick is a genocidal maniac came from.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Tias posted:

The great spring blót is done! Lots of offerings and prayers to Frej and Freja, and we got to hear the story of Skade and Njords marriage, good times <3

I think I found the sum total of your problem :)

E: Holy poo poo, I just heard about St. Brigid today! Why do we give a poo poo about a pagan-killing nationalist on March 17 when she's the patron saint of appreciating noble cattes

I think it's St. Gertrude of Nivelles, actually. (Not to be confused with St. Gertrude the Great.)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Tias posted:

Nah, he's sort of like Jesus that way: Cool dude, but his fringe fans are the loving worst

I think it's pretty well-established that the 'removing snakes from ireland' thing is a reference to his christianizing influence, which wasn't always peaceful. I'd be happy to know more, though.
Here you go. The first suggestion that the "snakes" were pagans didn't come along until 1911.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

plus they've got a sweet colony ship

Had*

• Locked thread