Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TLJ should've had lots of extra lines where characters state obvious implications or what is currently happening on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Ammanas posted:

How do you quantify that? Both ST made a shitton of money and were very well reviewed by critics. They want a product that plays well and continues the star wars franchise ad a valuable, in demand property. Deep nerds or millennials overrated the original trilogy are basically irrelevant ...

That's a fair point, but I was really referring more to what seems to be the general consensus among fans of the films. I'm certainly willing to considering being wrong. But I was under the impression that while, as you said, the films did well, and were relatively well reviewed by critics, the general consensus was that they were little more than mediocre at best and certainly not great and that this was not an opinion held solely by a small minority of nerds on the fringes of the web.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 17, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Finn blows up the weapon.

Then what. They’d be trapped with no way out. Or at least that’s what they knew at the time.

A pointless death.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

CelticPredator posted:

Then what. They’d be trapped with no way out. Or at least that’s what they knew at the time.

A pointless death.

Well no, the whole point of them sallying out to take out the cannon was to buy time for Leia's allies to arrive and save them.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CelticPredator posted:

A pointless death.

Good point. When you put it that way, we all just die eventually, so why bother to do anything at all?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Milky Moor posted:

Good point. When you put it that way, we all just die eventually, so why bother to do anything at all?

Why bother wasting time hating a fantastic film?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Salt.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

the word is "fantastical"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the behind the scenes doc on the bonus features of TLJ is fucken sick. TLJ special features are blowin away TFAs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I don't.

It's why I spend time hating the Force Awakens instead of Casablanca.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The movie is far from fantastical. It's banal.

An actual fantastical movie about rebellion is House of Flying Daggers.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
what i take from watching the movie is that the rebels are dumb and deserve to lose. the republic's army is cowardly and non-existant.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Just watched this for the first time and enjoyed it much more than I expected to (I hated TFA and Rogue One). It has plot holes and inconsistencies but it's the first of the new films to feel like its heart is in the right place. The exterior is sometimes sloppy but at its core it has actual ideas and things it wants to say. Which is the exact opposite of TFA, which is beautifully arranged and composed but struggled to really say anything at all.

edit: Although I probably enjoyed it more since I watched it at home and could pause to pee - the length would have probably bugged me if I saw it in theaters. I think there's a legit discussion to be had on how physically being at the theater makes long movies less enjoyable. For example we just watched Ben Hur last week and had a loving blast, but the same experience would have been torturous in a theater. So what really is Ben Hur: fun or torturous??

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 17, 2018

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Ben Hur was made back in the days of intermissions, so I'm going to say fun.

Bring back intermissions.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Having previously only seen it on TV, I was very surprised when I watched The Godfather on DVD and a title card came up halfway through that said "INTERMISSION". I'd have thought that's the sort of thing that would get edited out for home release.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Having previously only seen it on TV, I was very surprised when I watched The Godfather on DVD and a title card came up halfway through that said "INTERMISSION". I'd have thought that's the sort of thing that would get edited out for home release.
If you're making movies built around an intermission, its necessarily going to change the pacing of the film. Keeping it helps preserve that pacing.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

what i take from watching the movie is that the rebels are dumb and deserve to lose. the republic's army is cowardly and non-existant.

The empire or whatever the gently caress they want to call them are also dumb and deserve to lose, so really the takeaway is that we're all dumb for continuing to watch these movies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Papercut posted:

The empire or whatever the gently caress they want to call them are also dumb and deserve to lose, so really the takeaway is that we're all dumb for continuing to watch these movies.

People take these Star Wars too seriously.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Personally I enjoyed TLJ, I just had some stuff I found weird/confusing/awkwardly executed. Entertaining blockbuster.

Like, it seemed to me at that point Finn's sacrifice might be their only option. No one knows Luke's coming, after all. And it didn't seem visually obvious that his attempt would be ineffective, because, well, I dunno fly a ship kamikaze into an open cannon about to fire and it might do some damage.
But it's not a big deal anyway. It didn't detract from me enjoying the second half.

Papercut posted:

the takeaway is that because it's a situation where they had to render the events of the original trilogy meaningless so as to have EMPIRE VERSUS REBELS again, Benicio Del Toro's character is correct. It is a machine. Live free, don't join.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Intermissions need to come back in a major way, or at least some movies need to do like 2001 and Godfather and put a card in the middle. The arthouse theater in town is also a bar so they do intermissions to get people back to the bar and to the bathroom so I'm kinda conditioned at this point

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Like, it seemed to me at that point Finn's sacrifice might be their only option. No one knows Luke's coming, after all. And it didn't seem visually obvious that his attempt would be ineffective, because, well, I dunno fly a ship kamikaze into an open cannon about to fire and it might do some damage.
But it's not a big deal anyway. It didn't detract from me enjoying the second half.

To me the movie is signalling to the audience that his suicide run will be ineffective when the beam, before even firing, melts the guns on the ship he is flying.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just watched TLJ in amazon and Poe literally says "it's a suicide run. Stop"

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

Intermissions need to come back in a major way, or at least some movies need to do like 2001 and Godfather and put a card in the middle. The arthouse theater in town is also a bar so they do intermissions to get people back to the bar and to the bathroom so I'm kinda conditioned at this point

Or we could just stop making every movie 3 hours long

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

cloud atlas and jupiter ascending were both good. haven't seen speed racer but i bet it's also good. the matrix sequels are bad but whatever

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jerkface posted:

To me the movie is signalling to the audience that his suicide run will be ineffective when the beam, before even firing, melts the guns on the ship he is flying.

That and they’d just be trapped inside the base with no escape. Finn has at that point no knowledge of the secret escape (which only worked because Rey was there) so if he blows up the gun.... then what? They have nowhere to go. No escape. All it would do is delay the first order for a bit.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

CelticPredator posted:

That and they’d just be trapped inside the base with no escape. Finn has at that point no knowledge of the secret escape (which only worked because Rey was there) so if he blows up the gun.... then what? They have nowhere to go. No escape. All it would do is delay the first order for a bit.

Finn - "C'mon, we have allies. People believe in Leia. They'll get our message, they'll come, but we have to buy time. We gotta take out that cannon."

The movie spells it out pretty clearly dude.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ingmar terdman posted:

This seems like a decidedly bad idea profits-wise vs the Alamo model of being able to order another round without leaving the comfort of your seat.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The reason people (and the movie) are so opposed to Finn's suicide attack is because it is authentic. Suicide and self-sacrifice are never rational. A suicide attack is not guaranteed to succeed, but still demands making the ultimate sacrifice for what you believe in.

This is why Holdo's and Luke's suicide tactics are acceptable. They turn out to have been dependable, calculated. They're rational, even. This is also why they aren't true self-sacrifice. Obi-Wan's sacrifice was also false, he just peaced out to hang out as a spirit.

All the criticism of Finn's suicide run is about its impracticality. Behind that sentiment lies the knowledge of how bleak and uncomfortable that sacrifice would be. What's conspicuous is that nobody is arguing that Holdo's and Luke's suicide tactics were superior. Deep down everyone knows that the idea of a 'rational suicide' is perverse.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 18, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The reason people (and the movie) are so opposed to Finn's suicide attack is because it is authentic. Suicide and self-sacrifice are never rational. A suicide attack is not guaranteed to succeed, but demands making the ultimate sacrifice for what you believe in.

This is why Holdo's and Luke's suicide tactics are acceptable. They turn out to have been dependable, calculated. They're rational, even. This is also why they aren't true self-sacrifice. Obi-Wan's sacrifice was also false, he just peaced out to hang out as a spirit.

All the criticism of Finn's suicide run is about its impracticality. Behind that sentiment lies the knowledge of how bleak and uncomfortable that sacrifice would be. What's conspicuous is that nobody is arguing that Holdo's and Luke's suicide tactics were superior. Deep down everyone knows that the idea of a 'rational suicide' is perverse.

My favorite take has to be 'Destroying the battering ram cannon was pointless because then the Rebels would've just starved in the cave, all they would've done is delayed their deaths'.

Like, just bask in it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We need more films where the black character heroically sacrifices himself

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
The only genuine moment where finn can show his mettle and nerve is derailed by a dumb bimbo wanting to jump on his cock

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Wild Horses posted:

The only genuine moment where finn can show his mettle and nerve is derailed by a dumb bimbo wanting to jump on his cock

You mean Poe?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

The reason people (and the movie) are so opposed to Finn's suicide attack is because it is authentic. Suicide and self-sacrifice are never rational. A suicide attack is not guaranteed to succeed, but still demands making the ultimate sacrifice for what you believe in.

Ah yes unlike the big sacrifice in the Western canon which was totally not 100% a big plan.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

porfiria posted:

Ah yes unlike the big sacrifice in the Western canon which was totally not 100% a big plan.

Jesus suffered on the cross and died. It wasn't some tactical maneuvre.

I mean, SMG pointed out ages ago that the self-sacrifice in Star Wars tends to be a trick.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

cargohills posted:

You mean Poe?

https://twitter.com/plantblogger/status/973726894355988480

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Jesus suffered on the cross and died. It wasn't some tactical maneuvre.

I mean, SMG pointed out ages ago that the self-sacrifice in Star Wars tends to be a trick.

Yeah and then he came back to life immediately and was like I’m back bitches.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

How much you wanna bet the ESB gal was the mother of the TLJ gal?

"Mom, what's our life calling?"
"Getting between two lovers arguing. You'll know what to do when the time comes."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Poe Did Nothing Wrong

It's not his fault the Resistance made slow moving suicide space zeppelins

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

Dude, what the hell? This is just obnoxious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

quote:

And while He was still speaking, behold, Judas, one of the twelve, with a great multitude with swords and clubs, came from the chief priests and elders of the people.

Now His betrayer had given them a sign, saying, “Whomever I kiss, He is the One; seize Him.”  Immediately he went up to Jesus and said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” and kissed Him.

But Jesus said to him, “Friend, why have you come?”

Then they came and laid hands on Jesus and took Him. And suddenly, one of those who were with Jesus stretched out his hand and drew his sword, struck the servant of the high priest, and cut off his ear.

But Jesus said to him, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword. Or do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He will provide Me with more than twelve legions of angels?  How then could the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must happen thus?”

• Locked thread