Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
You did manage to parry the guy who invaded us in front of the Old Demon King once though! You might not be parry King, but I grant you Dukedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

You did manage to parry the guy who invaded us in front of the Old Demon King once though! You might not be parry King, but I grant you Dukedom.

I loving TOLD YOU SO NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE

:regd08::regd08::regd08::regd08::regd08::regd08::regd08::regd08::regd08::regd08::regd08::regd08::regd08::regd08::regd08:

parry kings only ITT pls all noobs :frogout:

poo poo how drunk do you need to be to think you're a parry king while everyone else is carrying you tho

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 16, 2018

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Hit a wall here. I beat Abyss Watchers and both locations I can visit are boring and bullshit at the same time. Cathedral was really fun outside but inside it's like Sen's but random (will that loving giant smash me this time? yes it will) and Catacombs would be ok too if not for those violet ghosts everywhere draining my hp. Does it get better after this or is this the post-Anor Londo part?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

Hit a wall here. I beat Abyss Watchers and both locations I can visit are boring and bullshit at the same time. Cathedral was really fun outside but inside it's like Sen's but random (will that loving giant smash me this time? yes it will) and Catacombs would be ok too if not for those violet ghosts everywhere draining my hp. Does it get better after this or is this the post-Anor Londo part?

The quality beyond Catacombs is inconsistent. The next area you run into is good, the one after it is mediocre, the one after that is godawful (but mercifully short), and then the final area is decent.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I see. Should I do Painted World now then or is it an endgame area now?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Terminally Bored posted:

I see. Should I do Painted World now then or is it an endgame area now?

You should do Painted World after Lothric Castle. Preferably starting at level 80ish with at least +8 weapons. Ringed city at level 90+ with a +10 weapon, since that's really endgame.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Maleh-Vor posted:

You should do Painted World after Lothric Castle. Preferably starting at level 80ish with at least +8 weapons. Ringed city at level 90+ with a +10 weapon, since that's really endgame.
Counterpoint: Ariandel is pretty worthwhile even at low levels, you can get a great Strength weapon (Millwood Battle Axe), cool-looking Follower Armour and early Large Titanite Shards/Titanite Chunks. It does help if you have Hidden Body or just run past everything though.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Naar posted:

Counterpoint: Ariandel is pretty worthwhile even at low levels, you can get a great Strength weapon (Millwood Battle Axe), cool-looking Follower Armour and early Large Titanite Shards/Titanite Chunks. It does help if you have Hidden Body or just run past everything though.

Fair. Doing it below 60/+6 is probably a pretty bad idea though. 60-80 AoA, 80-100 TRC work well enough, with a weapon upgrade every 10 levels or so.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If someone is struggling with Cathedral and Catacombs I would say it's definitely not a good idea to go to Ariandel. Here's a tip: the giants are super easy to kill and don't respawn, and you should probably finish the Cathedral before moving elsewhere. The good news is that usually it's the outside that people stumble on.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Cathedral roof is a greater Hell than Farron Keep.

Channel your hatred of crossbows and thralls into your running abilities.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I hated the Cathedral rooftops my first time through the game but it's not actually that bad, both because it gets a lot more fun on a second playthrough when you know what to expect and how to handle it, and also because even on a first run there are much shittier areas after it, absolutely including Farron Keep.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's something they say repeatedly on Bonfireside Chat but these games are basically built to find your weakness, so it's funny to see people who all find different areas hard where others find them easy. I personally didn't mind Farron because it's easily the most forgiving of any Souls game swamp areas, but Cathedral roof made me want to throw things even on additional playthroughs, especially those loving grave wardens.

I'm finally getting around to DS1 and it's great because it's such a slower and more methodical game and encourages a more cautious playstyle. I've still gotten wrecked plenty but it's not because of hyper aggressive limitless stamina enemies like in DS3.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
To be fair, ds1 enemies also don't actually have stamina. They just have less aggressive attack patterns.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Farron isn't bad because it's hard, it's bad because you move slowly and it's ugly and you have to choose between not grabbing every item or chugging poison antidotes.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hey speaking of recommended levels i'm like level 42ish going into irithyll. based on what i've read a bit online i think this might be a little on the low end??

is this roughly the right level i should be around or should i beef myself up a bit before pressing onwards

edit: weapon is like +5 i think though?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kaubocks posted:

hey speaking of recommended levels i'm like level 42ish going into irithyll. based on what i've read a bit online i think this might be a little on the low end??

is this roughly the right level i should be around or should i beef myself up a bit before pressing onwards

edit: weapon is like +5 i think though?

It’s a bit low yeah. If you haven’t done Smoldering Lake, do it first imo. That will get you up to +6 weapon and probably get you a few more levels too.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

skasion posted:

It’s a bit low yeah. If you haven’t done Smoldering Lake, do it first imo. That will get you up to +6 weapon and probably get you a few more levels too.

i did do smouldering lake :haw:

guess i'll pop some souls i have kicking around in my inventory

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Farron isn't bad because it's hard, it's bad because you move slowly and it's ugly and you have to choose between not grabbing every item or chugging poison antidotes.

It's... not really any uglier than anywhere else, though?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
farron keep would be cooler if the big weird tree nutsacks would fall down and let out enemies sometimes or something

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Farron Keep (and Blighttown, to be fair) would be better if the poison resist gear actually made a drat difference. In DeSouls you could actually stack poison gear and wander around in the muck a bit without constantly chugging moss. Shame about the roll though.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Farron swamp, like blighttown, gets a lot easier when you learn to embrace the poison. Just run in the poo poo and get poisoned because it doesn't matter. It's not like you can get double poisoned. It ticks for so little that you're going to pop an estus maybe once a minute. If you don't just get to a stretch of dry land or the bonfire first. It's all psychological.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sum Gai posted:

It's... not really any uglier than anywhere else, though?

Yeah it is, even if admittedly DS3's art design in general isn't fantastic outside of a few good areas.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

DrNutt posted:

Farron Keep (and Blighttown, to be fair) would be better if the poison resist gear actually made a drat difference. In DeSouls you could actually stack poison gear and wander around in the muck a bit without constantly chugging moss. Shame about the roll though.

equip a quickstep weapon, it works fine in the muck and doesn't stop working when you're out of fp

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

these fire stick guys in irithyll seem kinda rude :thunk:

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Kaubocks posted:

these fire stick guys in irithyll seem kinda rude :thunk:

Someone post the .jpg of the guy with the full set with the name White Power because I sure as poo poo ain't googling that.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Cuchulain posted:

equip a quickstep weapon, it works fine in the muck and doesn't stop working when you're out of fp

They're talking about Demon's Souls

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

realized i was getting like 20k souls just for clearing out a few packs of enemies in irithyll so i went and grinded myself up to level 50 real quick.

i tried to put down my summon sign for a change of pace. correct me if i’m wrong but the markings next to where you can warp indicate the presence of other players, right? if so i only ever really saw any around demon ruins so i plopped my sign down there for a bit.

first guy who summoned me and another guy took us on a jolly run through all of the ruins to turn off the ballista and then we cleared out old demon king no problem. literally every other person who summoned me walked into the boss chamber and immediately died. except the one guy who died because they stood right up in the kings rear end when he explodes at the end. i delivered a killing blow to the demon as that guy was dying though, dunno if that counts for them.

anyway long story short everything in irithyll hits like a truck

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Tallgeese posted:

Bandai Namco staff give a boilerplate answer when you ask that question, sorry to tell you. It's their version of "have you restarted the computer?". The fact they gave you a list of other things should have been a hint.

They honestly do not know anything; it's handled by From, not them. Good luck asking From.

...and even if you could, you have a reasonable shot of the person answering not actually knowing. From has been known to give verifiably wrong answers about Dark Souls online mode.

I spoke (on the phone) and dealt specifically with an actual human being from Bandai Namco Australia during a long, torturous and eventually unsuccessful attempt to appeal my ban. To the extent where I asked them to contact FROM on my behalf.

One of the emails I got from that exchange was pretty specific:
"These are some other apps that can cause issues - using x360ce, SweetFX, ReShade, DXTory or the Durazno Dead-zone fix."

You can read the entire stupid saga here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/3gxv71/psa_things_that_can_get_you_permanently/

I fully believe it. They can and will ban people for pretty much any 3rd party mod. I also believe that their banning process involves some sort of manual aspect, which explains why it's so inconsistent as to whether someone gets 'caught' or not.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 17, 2018

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

In other news: day 3 of the cheater server plan: I was invaded by one guy in upper Irythill like 15 seconds after I dispatched Pale Shade of Londor. He was trying to retreat back into the dogs and invisible mages on that ridiculous staircase, but after a minute he realized I was going to give him a fair fight in that little courtyard right after the silver knights without running back to the bonfire like a pussy. It's not like I can summon anybody anyway. I'll 1v1 an invader gladly. I won a good fight. It still seems that everyone I've actually run into on the cheater server plan is playing fair; there just isn't anybody there.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 17, 2018

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Soul Reaver posted:

I spoke (on the phone) and dealt specifically with an actual human being from Bandai Namco Australia during a long, torturous and eventually unsuccessful attempt to appeal my ban. To the extent where I asked them to contact FROM on my behalf.

One of the emails I got from that exchange was pretty specific:
"These are some other apps that can cause issues - using x360ce, SweetFX, ReShade, DXTory or the Durazno Dead-zone fix."

You can read the entire stupid saga here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/3gxv71/psa_things_that_can_get_you_permanently/

I fully believe it. They can and will ban people for pretty much any 3rd party mod. I also believe that their banning process involves some sort of manual aspect, which explains why it's so inconsistent as to whether someone gets 'caught' or not.

That does not contradict what I said.

Bandai Namco really do not know beyond what everyone else has guessed. It's pretty obvious to everyone who has looked at the issue that anything involving you throwing a DLL into the directory can get you banned. As a result, it is legitimately safer to implement DS2Fix through CE scripts or some kind of trainer.

europa came around to that one after awhile, but he never understood why he wasn't banned for it. He also thought there was a manual process.

Even things that are supposed to be utterly guaranteed to get you banned, like editing SOul Memory, does not get everyone banned. Nobody knows why.

Only From knows... maybe.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

HaB posted:

:classiclol:

You guys are PC weirdos, tho. I can't play with you. No Drunk Souls for me.

My dude I am absolutely down for getting drunk and playing Dark Souls or Bloodborne on PS4.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

The Missing Link posted:

Someone post the .jpg of the guy with the full set with the name White Power because I sure as poo poo ain't googling that.

Okay, here you go:
(search string: "dark souls 3 white power")

kilinrax posted:

The first one is easy, start your parry when his sword is at clockface noon.

The standout fun weapons for Dex builds are the Warden Twinblades early game and the Gotthards late game. So I'd kind of suggest farming the Wardens if you have a decent set of discovery gear and aren't enjoying your setup.

Been using a rapier that I picked up on the ground somewhere after I got furious at the sellsword twinblade moveset during Deacons.

After opening all the one-way doors I farmed some mooks at the start of Santa's Village for large titanite to get the +6 upgrade.
Runs 1-4: 0 parries - 0 hits, I died like the guys storming Normandy Beach at the very beginning of Saving Pvt. Ryan; confused and wide-eyed.
Run 5: One parry, panicked, died mashing roll like I just found out there was a button there on my controller.
Run 6: His first leap--PARRY! I get hit once, heal, pause, PARRY, PARRY, he summons his shadow buddy, PARRY! PAAA--Oh, he's dead.

Not used to DEX builds. Each one did 653 damage :aaa:

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Tallgeese posted:

Bandai Namco really do not know beyond what everyone else has guessed. It's pretty obvious to everyone who has looked at the issue that anything involving you throwing a DLL into the directory can get you banned. As a result, it is legitimately safer to implement DS2Fix through CE scripts or some kind of trainer.

europa came around to that one after awhile, but he never understood why he wasn't banned for it. He also thought there was a manual process.

Even things that are supposed to be utterly guaranteed to get you banned, like editing SOul Memory, does not get everyone banned. Nobody knows why.

Does anybody even know, what kind of data is collected and checked for a ban? Or f there is any difference between steam and playstation services?
This whole arcane architecture fo DS2 "cheat protection system" fascinates me.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Tallgeese posted:

Well, except that it wasn't a boilerplate answer, that it was actually quite specific and that the information was (supposedly) given to Bandai Namco by FROM software.

While there's no way to know for sure because FROM has the worst customer service of any company I've ever dealt with, the fact that it also fits all my observations does make it quite likely to be true.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Decided to start up my second playthrough ever as a pyro, rushed Boulder heave to take out the watchers then the chaos tome and demon king for vestiges... Now I've just unlocked the other pyro npc and her books I'd never found before.

What should I go for next, I'm thinking demon claw but that's a ways off. Any pyromancies that weren't around in ds1 I should really check out? I'm still looking for the grab attack one

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Soul Reaver posted:

Well, except that it wasn't a boilerplate answer, that it was actually quite specific and that the information was (supposedly) given to Bandai Namco by FROM software.

I remind you that From people have straight up fabulated stories regarding the networking in response to a question.

Need I remind you of the dreaded phrase "dedicated servers?"

They straight out denied that DS2 used P2P networking at any point. Which is an absolute laugh. They may as well have claimed that the sky is hot pink.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 17, 2018

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

The Protagonist posted:

Decided to start up my second playthrough ever as a pyro, rushed Boulder heave to take out the watchers then the chaos tome and demon king for vestiges... Now I've just unlocked the other pyro npc and her books I'd never found before.

What should I go for next, I'm thinking demon claw but that's a ways off. Any pyromancies that weren't around in ds1 I should really check out? I'm still looking for the grab attack one
Well, Rapport was around in DS1, but it's really useful in this one. It makes fighting those rear end in a top hat Pus of Man and Winged Knights so much more pleasant.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

newbie irithyll trip report:

irithyll is... weird? i feel like the difficulty is lopsided towards the intro to the area, then it drops off for the rest. once i got the chapel bonfire i didn't die once until the boss. it's also a bit on the long side but then two shortcuts show up basically back to back which makes the first one feel kind of redundant.

i found irithyll dungeon before making it to the boss but didn't finish the area. i kind of actually hate that place from what i've explored. there are annoying jump scares when picking up some items, and then there are those masked enemies that completely drain your HP with seemingly no feedback that it's happening. took me some time to figure out what the heck was going on. i eventually hit a dead end and couldn't figure out how to progress forward so i just noped outta there for the foreseeable future unless i hear of anything dope down there or it turns out it's not an optional area.

then i tried pontiff sullyvahn a few times. i had heard he's a major roadblock for people but i dunno, while i haven't beaten him yet he doesn't seem insurmountable. i can get through the first half of the fight relatively clean and the second half seems doable, just need to figure out my openings. taking a break for now though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah it's a common opinion that the pontiff knights and fire witches are significantly harder than basically every other enemy up to that point. Maybe the only prior ones that come close are the dual wielding skeletons from the catacombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pontiff was a pretty major roadblock for me the first time but i was mostly eschewing the use of shields