Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

There are UK, specifically London, goons in this thread, right? So I'm in Marylebone and I spot this guy hanging out in a massive cage just...on the street.

He definitely wasn't here last week. Aside from a massively overgrown beak he seems okay. The cage is almost as tall as I am and has a few toys, but...I can't help but feel 'out on the London streets' isn't a particularly good place for a bird. What do I do? Is there anything I can do? Or am I better off doing the British thing and minding my own beeswax?

edit: ugh, phoneposting. 'This guy' is a cockatoo - a goffins I think? - with a horribly overgrown beak but a full complement of feathers. Hopefully that image isn't breaking too many tables, I'll fix it when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fixed image:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

nielsm posted:

Fixed image:

Thank you :shobon: I'm literally still in the cafe two doors down from where he is.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

mycelia posted:

There are UK, specifically London, goons in this thread, right? So I'm in Marylebone and I spot this guy hanging out in a massive cage just...on the street.

He definitely wasn't here last week. Aside from a massively overgrown beak he seems okay. The cage is almost as tall as I am and has a few toys, but...I can't help but feel 'out on the London streets' isn't a particularly good place for a bird. What do I do? Is there anything I can do? Or am I better off doing the British thing and minding my own beeswax?

edit: ugh, phoneposting. 'This guy' is a cockatoo - a goffins I think? - with a horribly overgrown beak but a full complement of feathers. Hopefully that image isn't breaking too many tables, I'll fix it when I get home.

Can you inquire around? I’d assume that folks that work on that street might know if it’s cool or a bad situation.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

He or she is a long billed corella. The beak is slightly overgrown but not by much

There might be air quality concerns, but not much more than if he was by an open window. He could probably use a few more toys, but he also probably enjoys all the stimulation from the street. Not a crisis situation, but the beak and number of toys should be addressed.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I know I haven’t posted here in a while but birds are great :3:

Also a while back I moved and put the birds in a room with windows and the tiels were so happy watching the finches and the cardinal couple in the area in back of the apartment a few days ago. It reminded of Ellie because watching backyard birds with the occasional crest flick was her favorite hobby. :unsmith:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/j0kIDH2.mp4

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Soylent Yellow posted:

All GCCs are clingy. Some just cling with their beaks more than others.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's not a bite, it's a beak hug :colbert:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

An aggressive kiss?

So I'm seeing a lot of this happening on top of Ozzy's cage lately.

Sera still just really, really wants to love Ozzy, but Ozzy continues to get nervous about him getting too close. Fortunately, Sera backs off quickly enough when Ozzy protests, so it's never gone past hissing and beak fencing. Last couple days though, Sera (on the right) has been spending some time hanging out on Ozzy's cage, like this. Ozzy allows it. Good sign?

Also, Ozzy might be protective of his personal space but he always gets worried when Sera flies to the floor and out of his sight.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Spraying a cloud with water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epiTk3Gxao4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

That looks like a bengal kitten, so between them that's thousands of dollars worth of pet left dependent on the whims of a kitten and a pair of semi-sentient bolt cutters. Braver owners than I.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
H-hey I mean hello to all bird people and hello to the birds.

Is there a way to teach a cute banana (budgie) to make his business before he flies over to his desired location? He always excitedly flies over to be with me but then lays a steamy budgie bagel immediately.

E: 1 minute after making this post he flies on to my tablet and lays a parrot patty on my blankie. :nexus:

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 17, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Plant MONSTER. posted:

H-hey I mean hello to all bird people and hello to the birds.

Is there a way to teach a cute banana (budgie) to make his business before he flies over to his desired location? He always excitedly flies over to be with me but then lays a steamy budgie bagel immediately.

Our vet, who is very smart, says that you can, in fact, train budgies to poop into a wastebasket full of tissues.

You have to be very careful to watch for the signs that they're about to poop, then hover them over the wastebasket. Say some keyword, especially if the budgie is a talker. Supposedly, and again, this vet is extremely smart and has had many pet birds, they learn to ask, either verbally or non-verbally, to have you hover them over the wastebasket.

We have not tried it with Yoshi because of his illness and because, frankly, I just don't have it in me to stare at my bird's butt that often.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bicyclops posted:

Our vet, who is very smart, says that you can, in fact, train budgies to poop into a wastebasket full of tissues.

You have to be very careful to watch for the signs that they're about to poop, then hover them over the wastebasket. Say some keyword, especially if the budgie is a talker. Supposedly, and again, this vet is extremely smart and has had many pet birds, they learn to ask, either verbally or non-verbally, to have you hover them over the wastebasket.

We have not tried it with Yoshi because of his illness and because, frankly, I just don't have it in me to stare at my bird's butt that often.

Repetition, observation, rewarding, and consistency are key.

I’ve heard some birds can become so obsessed with waiting to poop they can cause themselves health problems, but I doubt that applies to budgies.

It’s weird though, most birds defecate before taking off. Why carry all that dead weight on takeoff? :shrug:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

steamy budgie bagel

I'm dying

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

DarkHorse posted:

It’s weird though, most birds defecate before taking off. Why carry all that dead weight on takeoff? :shrug:

Haha oh dear, I'm afraid I do not know why. I really hope that I haven't accidentally created a pooping ritual with him! Maybe he thinks flying to me to poop is the Correct Thing because I always dispose of it immediately, which counts as a reaction on my part.

Luckily I can read him well enough that I usually know when he's gonna go. I'm gonna make him a parrot potty it seems and be attentive and see if I can pick up on his "pooping ask". He has other "asks" which consists of a small squeak with that high rising terminal ("squeak?")

As I write this he's hanging upside down off the tablet, hopping on to my hands, kissing my fingernails ("feels like a beak, must serenade!") being The Best Pest ever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Both Loki and Yoshi were/are the kind of budgies who enjoy flying over to the perfect spot, like the top of my laptop and then unleashing that post-meal steamer right onto my touch screen or in the little crack where the laptop opens that's really hard to reach with a tissue. Yoshi in particular is very pleased with himself to watch it streak right across one of my Facebook's friend's face and then bob his head up and down merrily, and then fly away again, to drag a tissue onto the dining room floor and tear it into little pieces to make the vacuuming fun.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

"Please scratch! Please scratch! STOP TOUCHING ME!"

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Mochi is like that. He knows the commands to go potty, but sometimes he just jumps down of his own volition then immediately shits on the carpet (there's a big canvas dropcloth under his cage but he makes sure to make it past that)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Subpar: (Nice Pearl avatar! Fitting for bird thread) Yeah, I think birds have a secret internal point system for making GBS threads out of acceptable range.

Patrovsky: What a beauty! I love white budgies. Angry Dove.

This is my Budge waking up this morning. Super blurry because he was moments from jumping on the phone. (Any camera device pointed at him is for perching)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Look at those handsome boys

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/edfT7MQ.mp4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Well, you may as well cut your hand off. You're not getting it back, and you don't wanna wake the little guy do you? :ohdear:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I never in a million years thought I could screw up training a cockatiel.

How you say? I taught her how to get scritches before finishing "step up." Now she just furiously head butts my finger anytime it gets near her for pets.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I'm no birdnithologist but that seems like normal behavior. Maybe try physically placing your finger on her keel and then make the command to step up. Finger + Contact + Command = stepping up. Then try just finger + command = stepping up. It's how I trained my bird to hop up. Now if I stick my index finger out he'll usually fly to it even if he's in his cage or somewhere Cool and Forbidden on the other side of the room.

Is this normal behavior for a budgie? I'm not used to budgies having to sit on everything I hold.

I mean I know he likes this clip because it usually holds watercolor paper trimmings (unused of course) which he loves to chew apart or grab with his footies. He also loves chewing the rubber bit.

come on this stylus is way too thin!

"wait you're holding something"

*BOING*

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Birds MUST touch the thing you are touching. It is the law. If it looks vaguely perchable it must be perched on. Otherwise a beak touching is sufficient.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The rarely-seen hyperspace budgie

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

Gains.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"I don't know what this toy is but you are playing with it when it is clearly mine?"

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

It makes introducing him to new things very easy compared to budgies I've had when I was a kid. If there's a new toy I want to get him into, I just have to hold it, jingle it around etc. Doing that seems to bypass his "that's a NEW thing and I'm a bird and afraid!!" instinct.

Oh so I remembered a question I wanted to ask you guys. I live adjacent to a nice park and when it warms up I like to go out and read/look at ducks. I'd like to bring my budgie with me because I think being outside is enriching and the sun is necessary for birds. Is this a good idea or not recommended? What are some good travel cages for this purpose? Will I look like a freak carrying a little bird to the park?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Plant MONSTER. posted:

It makes introducing him to new things very easy compared to budgies I've had when I was a kid. If there's a new toy I want to get him into, I just have to hold it, jingle it around etc. Doing that seems to bypass his "that's a NEW thing and I'm a bird and afraid!!" instinct.

Oh so I remembered a question I wanted to ask you guys. I live adjacent to a nice park and when it warms up I like to go out and read/look at ducks. I'd like to bring my budgie with me because I think being outside is enriching and the sun is necessary for birds. Is this a good idea or not recommended? What are some good travel cages for this purpose? Will I look like a freak carrying a little bird to the park?

It varies from budgie to budgie, I think, on the "New thing, scary!" instinct. My current bird does that for about 10 seconds and then wants it, whereas our last budgie took weeks or months to warm up to anything new.

I think I'd recommend against bringing a budgie to the park. I'm just one guy, so take it with a grain of salt. They make some decent carrying cases that are soft and have mesh on both sides, with a perch in the middle, but the thing is, budgies get afraid if they don't have a wall behind them sometimes. I've had to put Yoshi into his case a lot lately to take him on his drive to the vet, and he is curious for the first few seconds of being outside, but then gets very upset when he hears the bird noises. I don't think people would look at you too weird - most people I know are curious, and parents with kids would particularly want to chat about it, but you don't want someone's dog or toddler to take too much of an interest and accidentally knock over the case and upset the bird.

It's a nice idea, but budgies are little stress machines, and because they have to be in a tinier case the whole time they're out due to flight danger, it's not as though they get to play with you at all to relieve that stress through socializing with the flock.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

That's true and yet another instance of thinking since something seems nice, doesn't make it so. I had a rosey mental image of the little birdy happily sitting in his little cage, getting sleepy to the sound of rustling leaves and from the warm dappled sunlight from the 'bove. In reality he'd probably be freaking out. I usually sit far away from other doot traffic. There is a nice log in the bushes right in front of the pond. If you're quiet the baby ducks get super close to you.

I guess if I have to take him outside, our little patio will suffice!

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 18, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Found out my grey likes Law and Order. Or at least he likes the theme to it because he won’t stop doing the “do do do do doooooo” riff from it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jose Oquendo posted:

Found out my grey likes Law and Order. Or at least he likes the theme to it because he won’t stop doing the “do do do do doooooo” riff from it.

:love:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I will try to get a recording. He does it in a very exaggerated way.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I will try to get a recording. He does it in a very exaggerated way.

I'll actively try to get you banned if you don't.

https://i.imgur.com/5361LYh.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/1nZFZey.mp4

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jose Oquendo posted:

He's just learning how to get away with murder from that show :ohdear:.