Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is a hell of a derail because a guy wanted to class up his bar with some clear ice.

I googled how to do that at home, supposedly using distilled water or boiling tap water will do the trick. I'm testing it now, will report the results in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Skwirl posted:

I googled how to do that at home, supposedly using distilled water or boiling tap water will do the trick. I'm testing it now, will report the results in the morning.

I have tried all the tricks. Doesn't work like those Japanese clear ice machines that cost a billion dollars.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have tried all the tricks. Doesn't work like those Japanese clear ice machines that cost a billion dollars.

drat, I thought it'd be fun for my personal descent into alcoholism if I had clear ice.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skwirl posted:

drat, I thought it'd be fun for my personal descent into alcoholism if I had clear ice.

You don't even need ice, let alone clear ice, for that man.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is a hell of a derail because a guy wanted to class up his bar with some clear ice.

This is why we can't have n ice things!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You don't even need ice, let alone clear ice, for that man.

But this way I pretend it's a science experiment.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Dry ice? Try clear ice. It takes you out of the red, and has an ingredient to moisturize.

:wow:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, this doesn't work.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, this doesn't work.

Nobody's going to want to eat at your house! Make it work!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

Nobody's going to want to eat at your house! Make it work!

I'm doing Hot Toddies instead of Old Fashioneds, problem solved.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Maybe I'm naive because my cocktails of choice are generally things like Manhattans, up, but is clear ice really that big of a deal? I've had some incredible cocktails during my multiple decades as a drinker, and I never noticed the clarity of the ice. Bad cube size, yes, but I've never stared at a g&t on the rocks and said, "hmm, these cubes have bubbles in them."

Not trolling, genuinely curious.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Maybe I'm naive because my cocktails of choice are generally things like Manhattans, up, but is clear ice really that big of a deal? I've had some incredible cocktails during my multiple decades as a drinker, and I never noticed the clarity of the ice. Bad cube size, yes, but I've never stared at a g&t on the rocks and said, "hmm, these cubes have bubbles in them."

Not trolling, genuinely curious.

It's one of those things that "justifies" being able to charge $14+ for a cocktail. Realistically it doesn't make the drink taste any better, but having a puree quenelled on a plate rather than slopped into a ramekin doesn't make it taste any better either, but it's what you expect once you hit a certain price point.

tl:dr clear ice looks pretty

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
As long as you put it in a nice glass no one will ever notice.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Field Mousepad posted:

As long as you put it in a nice glass no one will ever notice.

I will notice and I will loving judge you... Harshly.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You know what I really like is soft ice. My grandma's fridge made soft ice crescents -- in retrospect there was probably a pinhole in her water supply line or something -- but it was so good. Fully frozen but heavily aerated, it broke apart easily and into interesting soft, not jagged, pieces. So satisfying to chew. Make that the next hipster thing please

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Every restaurant sells Sonic ice with blueberry slush + vodka cocktails.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, but Sonic ice is tiny to start with. This is big, like normal freezer crescents, and then you crunch it small, an excellent bonus step.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I will notice and I will loving judge you... Harshly.

You're the 1 person out of 100 broski

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
I like big clear ice cubes because they preserve color and make nice glasses look nice. Regular ice machine stuff dilutes not just the drink but the color of the drink and makes glassware seem cheap, IMO.

It is also a fun activity for foh staff to do instead of looking at Facebook.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Thoht posted:

I Sure, the produce we get is pretty fantastic but we could definitely get away with using cheaper stuff and I believe the majority of our customers wouldn't know the difference. But the chef likes being able to support these folks we're working with.

Im not trying to keep the derail train going for too long and I clipped most of your post but:

If you want to support local farmers, cool. If you have to operate with a higher food cost to do so that's more of a moral decision than a financial one I guess

All that money that the chef "just doesn't feel like making" because he's not into running a "money machine" would probably be really appreciated by the lowest paid tier of employees in his business. If you're some whos *just totally over money,* charging the market price and redistributing the additional profit to the people who are helping you earn it seems a little better than squandering their labor.

I believe in and really appreciate chef-driven restaurants and running fun specials with interesting ideas that aren't meant for mass production is an awesome thing to do. As a customer they're a feature of the restaurant. As an operator, they add value. You can do both.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

infiniteguest posted:

I like big clear ice cubes because they preserve color and make nice glasses look nice. Regular ice machine stuff dilutes not just the drink but the color of the drink and makes glassware seem cheap, IMO.

It is also a fun activity for foh staff to do instead of looking at Facebook.

If you aren't paying your FOH more than the legal minimum required in your state, anything you want them to do that isn't interacting with a customer who might leave them a tip is going to be considered pointless busy work by them. That includes stuff like "cleaning tables so customers have somewhere to sit" and "doing roll-ups so customers have silverware to eat with" so I'm sure they're really excited about making fancy ice.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Not sure why that sparked this memory, but I used to work for a guy who would have random mandatory staff meetings that as far as I can tell were for the purpose of destroying morale. He'd been drinking and comping drinks for a bunch of stylists who worked at the salon down the block and that gave him the idea that FoH should be renting tables from him like hairdressers rent chairs and also he should stop paying us anything and that we should be grateful he let us work there for free(?). It was a tour de force of batshit ranting. Fortunately I had my new job lined up already so I could just sit back and take in the drama. Last I heard his wife left him because he was loving one of the waitresses, he lost 2/3 of his restaurants to her that she then promptly also lost due to not paying any taxes. Brilliant bunch of people.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
I assume this is as good a place as any.
I lost(someone stole) my wine key, and I only have lovely ones left at home. Y'all have any recommendations?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
kill your coworkers to get your wine key back

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Quabzor posted:

I lost(someone stole) my wine key, and I only have lovely ones left at home. Y'all have any recommendations?

https://youtu.be/fXihX13xjqQ

I would tell you to buy a sword, but that's just for champagne apparently.

Edit: I've always wanted to learn how to use one of these
https://www.barproducts.com/pedrini-reg-2-prong-cork-puller-with-bottle-opener-and-sheath
My parents had one when I was a kid.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 16, 2018

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Quabzor posted:

The Coutale Pocket. An old coworker bought me one maybe a year ago. By far the best wine key I’ve used.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Skwirl posted:

Hot Toddies

I can't help but associate that drink with the elderly because three different old people I've worked with over the years recommended them to me if I ever came into work with a runny nose.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Republicans posted:

I can't help but associate that drink with the elderly because three different old people I've worked with over the years recommended them to me if I ever came into work with a runny nose.

They were right.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Clear ice is p easy to make if you just freeze it in like a Coleman cooler in the walk-in, but then you have to melt off the bottom part with all the bubbly impurities after and then chip / carve the remainder of your cooler-shaped ice block.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

pile of brown posted:

Im not trying to keep the derail train going for too long and I clipped most of your post but:

If you want to support local farmers, cool. If you have to operate with a higher food cost to do so that's more of a moral decision than a financial one I guess

All that money that the chef "just doesn't feel like making" because he's not into running a "money machine" would probably be really appreciated by the lowest paid tier of employees in his business. If you're some whos *just totally over money,* charging the market price and redistributing the additional profit to the people who are helping you earn it seems a little better than squandering their labor.

I believe in and really appreciate chef-driven restaurants and running fun specials with interesting ideas that aren't meant for mass production is an awesome thing to do. As a customer they're a feature of the restaurant. As an operator, they add value. You can do both.

Yeah, that's an absolutely good point. The first thing I'd ask when presented with a chef who 'just doesn't feel like making money' is how much his dishwashers are getting paid.

Skwirl posted:

They were right.

Yup. Whiskey, tea, honey, and lemon will make you feel great.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 16, 2018

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Quabzor posted:

Ask your wine rep for one. They always have the good poo poo.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 800 all week, owners gala Friday for 1200(500k F&B) and corporate F&B conference the following week. If this month doesn't kill me, I don't think anything can. :chef:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 800 all week, owners gala Friday for 1200(500k F&B) and corporate F&B conference the following week. If this month doesn't kill me, I don't think anything can. :chef:

Stay safe, cyborg chef.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

The first thing I'd ask when presented with a chef who 'just doesn't feel like making money' is how much his dishwashers are getting paid.

On that topic, treating the dishwasher position as one of ultimate shame and permanent low pay, as most restaurants seem to, seems really insanely stupid and self-defeating to me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

empty whippet box posted:

On that topic, treating the dishwasher position as one of ultimate shame and permanent low pay, as most restaurants seem to, seems really insanely stupid and self-defeating to me.

It really is. Yes, it's a job that doesn't need a ton of specialized training, but it's also the one job that will put your line to a complete halt if it's failing because dishes don't clean themselves.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

Skwirl posted:

If you aren't paying your FOH more than the legal minimum required in your state, anything you want them to do that isn't interacting with a customer who might leave them a tip is going to be considered pointless busy work by them. That includes stuff like "cleaning tables so customers have somewhere to sit" and "doing roll-ups so customers have silverware to eat with" so I'm sure they're really excited about making fancy ice.

I feel you, I really do, but this is also the purpose of intensive and individualized training, staff education, preservice lectures, and extracurricular classes taught by our managerial staff in food, beverage, and other relevant topics. Possessing a full throated hospitality program will build a team culture wherein staff strives toward self-improvement and excellence and doesn’t just roll in to their job so they can survive.

It also means we can source out labor to keep a clean, organized, and high functioning F&B program without paying out the nose in top tier managerial salaries.

This is not a reality for many businesses, but I also haven’t spent two decades cooking my literal rear end off to go do inventory at a Cheesecake Factory. (Despite their admirable food cost and waste percentages.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

infiniteguest posted:

. Possessing a full throated hospitality program will build a team culture wherein staff strives toward self-improvement and excellence and doesn’t just roll in to their job so they can survive.
Every word of this sentence makes me want to punch you in the throat even harder than the last one. Also you didn't say if you were paying them more than minimum wage , so I'm assuming the answer is no. I don't really give a poo poo, because I don't work there, but you're probably pretty safe assuming the entire FOH hates your guts.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
That's okay, if FOH are the kind of people that sigh and piss an moan because they're expected to do their loving jobs on the clock instead of dicking around on their phones while also taking home more money than all the other people in the restaurant busting their asses then who gives a gently caress if those lazy shitbirds hate your guts. Yes everyone deserves more than minimum, but servers easily make the most regardless, and if you're too stupid to understand the connection between a clean dining area/possessing silverware to eat with and a positive dining experience that will influence people's attitudes come tip time, then you're as dense as you are lazy.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Lol if you think excellent service equals more tips on average than just regular effort service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

JawKnee posted:

Lol if you think excellent service equals more tips on average than just regular effort service

I work at a place where I’m expected to tend bar and wait tables in addition to cooking if the restaurant needs it, I get a cut a of the tips, and if you aren’t bad at your job it absolutely does.