Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kurieg posted:

"Hey could you please stop raping me?"
"No in fact i'm gonna rape you again!"
"Hang on I need to call in an impartial 3rd party arbitration team to determine if this is, in fact, rape."

Yeah, this is a big enough thing in Real Industries that my employers have officially waived arbitration for these things, and there's a Senate Bill to make it illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Meanwhile RPG.net shuts down discussion on the topic, because the most prominent RPG-specific forum on the internet isn't actually fit for purpose for discussing significant news stories in the field.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

And I don’t think that’s unintentional.

It seems fairly obvious from their handling of the situation that they don’t think they should have had to fire him.
They're being weirdly spineless on this point.

If they thought CAS was behaving unacceptably, they'd have crafted a policy which would have caught that behaviour. They haven't.

If they think CAS was behaving acceptably, then why don't they just continue working with him? The obvious answer is "massive public disapproval", but they're incredibly naive if they think that this policy would be welcomed with open arms, and since they're giving every impression of not really believing that what CAS did was harassment they just look like they lack the courage of their convictions.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Unstoppable?

,branded unfuckable. So keep me in this cage, until you run that mouth. Then I'mma have the plague, and break the gently caress out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Warthur posted:

Meanwhile RPG.net shuts down discussion on the topic, because the most prominent RPG-specific forum on the internet isn't actually fit for purpose for discussing significant news stories in the field.
No, see, it's okay because they used up all actual conversations and some people were getting into conspiracy theories!

This is a good reason to shut down a thread about an important topic because

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, see, it's okay because they used up all actual conversations and some people were getting into conspiracy theories!

This is a good reason to shut down a thread about an important topic because

Tis a far better thing that a thousand rapists go free than one man face punishment just for his steely blue eyes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

On a serious note, I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that Pendragon and Ars Magica are getting translated to Portuguese and released in Brazil. As I consider them to be very niche games I did not expected it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Plutonis posted:

On a serious note, I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that Pendragon and Ars Magica are getting translated to Portuguese and released in Brazil. As I consider them to be very niche games I did not expected it.

That's cool as hell, good for them.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Warthur posted:

If they think CAS was behaving acceptably, then why don't they just continue working with him? The obvious answer is "massive public disapproval", but they're incredibly naive if they think that this policy would be welcomed with open arms, and since they're giving every impression of not really believing that what CAS did was harassment they just look like they lack the courage of their convictions.

It's because at least a few people are aware that there's too much evidence against CAS to dismiss, but they don't want to admit that working with him has publicly undermined every progressive gesture they've made in recent history, or deal with the fallout on all sides from roasting his rear end. This terrible harassment policy lets them claim they're listening, and any criticism of it can be met with "Woah, look, this is just a draft! At least we're trying!" while also producing a policy that would retroactively vindicate them because the case against CAS didn't follow it at any step.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If I had to guess I'd say they talked to a lawyer, who told them CAS was radioactive and they needed to drop him like a rock, but they don't like it a bit.

Meanwhile, I know it's my job to explain why RPGnet is right and you are wrong, but I really have no idea what they're thinking with this one.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Unsurprisingly, in his 'it's all about me' bullshit, Holden has reframed history to:

quote:

Speaking as the person whose name GR dragged through the mud and used as their premiere excuse for why they ignored a multitude of logged complaints against CAS

While, absolutely, GR hosed up how they handled CAS and their new suggested policy, let's not forget that Holden is an enabling fuckwit who deliberately covered and covers for his abusive friend and tries to attack anyone who's called him out for it to the best of his not very good ability. Also, was a poo poo developer for Ex3.

PST fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 17, 2018

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

If I had to guess I'd say they talked to a lawyer, who told them CAS was radioactive and they needed to drop him like a rock, but they don't like it a bit.

Meanwhile, I know it's my job to explain why RPGnet is right and you are wrong, but I really have no idea what they're thinking with this one.
The mod taking action was Levi, who has always struck me as being so conflict-averse that if he could persuade everyone to sign a "no disagreements ever" waiver as the price of entry he'd do it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warthur posted:

The mod taking action was Levi, who has always struck me as being so conflict-averse that if he could persuade everyone to sign a "no disagreements ever" waiver as the price of entry he'd do it.

Yeah, this was a definite bad call by a mod whose reasoning seemed to be 'people are negative about this, therefore we must never talk about it.'

Warthur
May 2, 2004

PST posted:

While, absolutely, GR hosed ho how they handled CAS and their new suggested policy, let's not forget that Holden is an enabling fuckwit who deliberately covered and covers for his abusive friend and tries to attack anyone who's called him out for it to the best of his not very good ability. Also, was a poo poo developer for Ex3.
Wasn't Holden also responsible for the whole "CAS supports terrorism" angle, which GR had used as a figleaf?

There was a narrow window when GR's actions made sense, and that was the brief span of time when it seemed like they'd mistaken the new round of accusations for a continuation of the unfounded antisemitism/pro-terrorism slurs. (They've since gone on to behave in such a way to lose that thin slice of goodwill - if the timeline made that much sense and exonerated them to that extent, they'd have published it already.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Can we please do anything besides turning this thread into a something sensitive-lite for another website again? How about we drag the argument about the kickstarter for the "spanish conquistadors and aztecs fight dinosaurs" with its "I'm not a racist!" skill here from the kickstarter thread? It came with a side of "how Confederate-apologetic was Firefly, really?"

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, this was a definite bad call by a mod whose reasoning seemed to be 'people are negative about this, therefore we must never talk about it.'

It had two pages of reddit's /r/conspiracy level bullshit including 'maybe they deliberately wrote this just so they can appeal to abusers to come work with them'.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Warthur posted:

Wasn't Holden also responsible for the whole "CAS supports terrorism" angle, which GR had used as a figleaf?

There was a narrow window when GR's actions made sense, and that was the brief span of time when it seemed like they'd mistaken the new round of accusations for a continuation of the unfounded antisemitism/pro-terrorism slurs. (They've since gone on to behave in such a way to lose that thin slice of goodwill - if the timeline made that much sense and exonerated them to that extent, they'd have published it already.)

I'm going to assume the worst about Holden and say yes, but he was involved in the CAS is an anti-semite stuff, which, maybe he is, but i've not seen any evidence.

What I have seen is that Holden appears like the poo poo that won't flush every time he has the chance to criticise anyone who he feels has done him wrong, so he piles into GR and Onyx Path and anyone else he can take a big 'gently caress you' on, while dismissing any criticism aimed at him, blocking everyone who calls him out and generally being a fuckwit.

In short, gently caress this terrible hobby outside a handful of companies and people who are good and decent.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

PST posted:

It had two pages of reddit's /r/conspiracy level bullshit including 'maybe they deliberately wrote this just so they can appeal to abusers to come work with them'.

While that is an extremely bad take, the continued presence of Holden suggests that bad takes are allowed on RPGnet.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

While that is an extremely bad take, the continued presence of Holden suggests that bad takes are allowed on RPGnet.

It's okay to admit to covering up abuse you know about because you don't want to deal with any consequences and equally it's okay to cover up for friends while criticising other people for doing the same thing.

A pox on all our houses etc.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Iirc the CAS is an anti Semite thing came about because he's Palestinian and Holden was grasping at straws trying to smear poo poo on anyone else to make himself look better.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Speaking of abusers, guess who is being held up as Marcon's guest of honour in a couple of months:

http://marcon.org/guests/mathew-mcfarland-michelle-lyons-mcfarland-special-guests/

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Warthur posted:

Speaking of abusers, guess who is being held up as Marcon's guest of honour in a couple of months:

http://marcon.org/guests/mathew-mcfarland-michelle-lyons-mcfarland-special-guests/

Wait,false alarm, that's from when they were guests in 2016.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Can we please do anything besides turning this thread into a something sensitive-lite for another website again?

I for one think that it doing so is extremely good, and chill!

PST posted:

It's okay to admit to covering up abuse you know about because you don't want to deal with any consequences and equally it's okay to cover up for friends while criticising other people for doing the same thing.

Are you implying that being super woke while also supporting lovely people is hypocritical, and bad? Whoa...

PST posted:

I'm going to assume the worst about Holden and say yes ... but i've not seen any evidence.

I mean, I can’t disagree with this sort of mindset: I do this all the time with people and things I dislike too. Just take care, as the last page has sort of established that doing this kind of thing is apparently a deviation from the Lawful/Good axis :rolleye:

Kurieg posted:

Iirc the CAS is an anti Semite thing came about because he's Palestinian and Holden was grasping at straws trying to smear poo poo on anyone else to make himself look better.

I remember hearing about those rumors way earlier than that, a little after newMummy was released on one of the SA TG IRCs. Though I didn’t exactly buy them then, either.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
So I made a card game a year and a half ago just for my family and friends. They've been encouraging me to publish it and sell it on a larger scale, but the rules are almost lifted wholesale off of another game and I'd have to redo all the art with my own art or use royalty free images.

I know there are games that are almost identical in the rules and haven't run into legal issues (Apples to Apples and CAH), but I'm wondering if this is a potentially dangerous road to go down if I do try to self publish. Is this a good idea or should I keep this just among my family and friends?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

CommaToes posted:

So I made a card game a year and a half ago just for my family and friends. They've been encouraging me to publish it and sell it on a larger scale, but the rules are almost lifted wholesale off of another game and I'd have to redo all the art with my own art or use royalty free images.

I know there are games that are almost identical in the rules and haven't run into legal issues (Apples to Apples and CAH), but I'm wondering if this is a potentially dangerous road to go down if I do try to self publish. Is this a good idea or should I keep this just among my family and friends?

It ultimately depends on the original game's owners, but for the most part I don't think even the board game/card game sides of the TTG industry have the money and energy to crush you under a sack of cash (regardless of the judicial merit of their challenge), unless you get really blatant with a rip-off of something from a big boy like Asmodee or Hasbro.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

That Old Tree posted:

It ultimately depends on the original game's owners, but for the most part I don't think even the board game/card game sides of the TTG industry have the money and energy to crush you under a sack of cash (regardless of the judicial merit of their challenge), unless you get really blatant with a rip-off of something from a big boy like Asmodee or Hasbro.

Ahem...

well If I change the card design significantly and make the packaging entirely different it may be harder to identify, but the game in question is incredibly rules light, so it's not like I can make too many changes without fundementally changing the game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've always heard that game rules can't be copyrighted. There are plenty of CaH clones anyway, another probably isn't a big deal.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 20, 2018

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

CommaToes posted:

Rules in the abstract can't be copyrighted, only the specific wording and graphic expression of them.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've always heard that game rules can't be copyrighted. There are plenty of Cash clones anyway, another probably isn't a big deal.

eh, I didn't write that clearly enough. It's not a CAH clone (not a fan of those games, personally) but a clone of another game done by one of the big two named above.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CommaToes posted:

eh, I didn't write that clearly enough. It's not a CAH clone (not a fan of those games, personally) but a clone of another game done by one of the big two named above.

Even then, Roadie's right. Unless you're taking the exact text of the rules or the art from that other game, you're fine legally-speaking. Just describe the rules in your own words in whatever you end up creating and don't re-use any media from the original game.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

And if you're really worried about it, talk to a lawyer.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
As long as you aren't literally plagiarizing the text or art design of an existing game, there's no reason to bother with a lawyer. This stuff is actually really straightforward.

quote:

Copyright does not protect the idea for a game, its name or title, or the method or methods for playing it. Nor does copyright protect any idea, system, method, device, or trademark ma­ terial involved in developing, merchandising, or playing a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles. Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

CommaToes posted:

did you write a munchkin clone

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Exploding kittens?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I'm not a lawyer, but keep in mind that while generally game mechanics aren't copyrightable (though you can apparently patent them?) the law isn't going to look fondly at you if you produce something that could be mistaken for the original or an approved copy/derivative work of the original.

Hence, if you make Catacoombs & Cyclopses 5e and release with a front cover that could be, by a lay person, mistaken for the actual D&D front cover, you're not going to be safe from a lawsuit.

One concrete example I can think of is the layout of GURPS 4e book covers. Though you wouldn't be copying any specific design per se, SJG will sue you if you publish something with the same four-rectangle pattern, because it could be mistaken for an official SJG publication.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but keep in mind that while generally game mechanics aren't copyrightable (though you can apparently patent them?) the law isn't going to look fondly at you if you produce something that could be mistaken for the original or an approved copy/derivative work of the original.

Hence, if you make Catacoombs & Cyclopses 5e and release with a front cover that could be, by a lay person, mistaken for the actual D&D front cover, you're not going to be safe from a lawsuit.

One concrete example I can think of is the layout of GURPS 4e book covers. Though you wouldn't be copying any specific design per se, SJG will sue you if you publish something with the same four-rectangle pattern, because it could be mistaken for an official SJG publication.

That's called trade dress, isn't it?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Mors Rattus posted:

did you write a munchkin clone

Naw it's a timeline clone.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

My question would be, if it's so similar to an existing super popular game, why bother?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Worth keeping in mind: Pandemic literally uses the Risk board and components and remixes what they're for, so there's definitely room for something like that, in terms of market and legality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ravenkult posted:

My question would be, if it's so similar to an existing super popular game, why bother?

Uno has sold 150 million copies despite being Crazy Eights with a few other cards added