Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mr. Squishy posted:

What, you mean you don't all read in the Spanish?

No I wait until he is translated into French, the true language of the novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mr. Squishy posted:

How does someone have "new" stuff when he's been dead fifteen years?

his son is publishing his leftover notes with kevin j anderson

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Prairie Bus posted:

Speaking of overly long books, I just finished a re-read of 2666. There’s an off-handed moment in the final part, where Archimboldi describes the punishment of Sisyphus as being a distraction from which his ingenuity will allow him to escape. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but I feel like there’s a lot going on in that moment.

You're right, there is. I frequently have the feeling that Bolaño is insisting on agency at the expense of contingency. Maybe I'm wrong.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

derp posted:

looks interesting but im not reading any more books over 400 pages long this year. havent posted a dumb opinion in a while so here you go friends: books should just not be that long. its kind of hard not to find it arrogant to write a book that long imo. how many words do you really need to say what you're trying to say, and how much is self indulgence?

Complaints about 'self indulgence' are stupid, who else is an author going to indulge?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pale Fire by Nabokov is a really good book.

It's bonkers that he only switched over to English prose after writing his 9th novel.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

mdemone posted:

You're right, there is. I frequently have the feeling that Bolaño is insisting on agency at the expense of contingency. Maybe I'm wrong.

I’m not sure I follow, exactly. Do you mean contingency in the sense of future plans?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

Complaints about 'self indulgence' are stupid, who else is an author going to indulge?

The reader, by telling their story in a reasonable amount of time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

self indulgence is okay if its mindless!!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Krankenstyle posted:

self indulgence is okay if its mindless!!

human being

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thank god im your problem now clarissa :downsrim:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Please finish your book in 300 pages, your chapters after ten pages, your paragraphs after three lines, your sentences after six words, your words after two syllables. I'm a busy person!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the only book read where I ever thought “this is way longer than it needs to” is infinite jest. whining about books being long is dumb.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Apparently it used to be longer; DFW described its structure as published as "a lopsided Sierpinski Gasket."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol really, "lopsided sierpinski gasket"? that is complete nonsense

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I believe that was his joke. The whole thing was conceived as a gasket and editing knocked it about a bit. Most noticeable elements of that design are the chapters getting progressively longer and a three-strand narrative with the rich, the poor, and the spies. Possibly more but I've not read anything about it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
im glad that after 1000 pages the Count of Monte Cristo finally starts to become mildly interesting

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Barley patch by gerald murnane is great

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

derp posted:

human being

wow! great post dude!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Officer Sandvich posted:

Barley patch by gerald murnane is great

He's really cool and is probably some kind of genius.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

Apparently it used to be longer; DFW described its structure as published as "a lopsided Sierpinski Gasket."

lmao get a load of this guy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

derp posted:

human being

This is seriously not cool

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

derp posted:

human being

this isn’t 4chan. knock that poo poo off

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

A human heart posted:

wow! great post dude!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This is seriously not cool

ulvir posted:

this isn’t 4chan. knock that poo poo off

they were referencing something guys

bunch of olds itt

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 17, 2018

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

I believe that was his joke. The whole thing was conceived as a gasket and editing knocked it about a bit. Most noticeable elements of that design are the chapters getting progressively longer and a three-strand narrative with the rich, the poor, and the spies. Possibly more but I've not read anything about it.

this is especially apparent if you read it on a kindle that shows the relative distance between all the chapters. the chapter breaks get increasingly far apart then just stop appearing altogether

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

That can't really matter; it's the same path as allowing "ironic" racism.

Don't post race/gender/ etc slurs folks, it's not complicated

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

I think the people who know msi are the olds at this point

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That can't really matter; it's the same path as allowing "ironic" racism.

Don't post race/gender/ etc slurs folks, it's not complicated

This is right though I should have picked a diff song

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Ccs posted:

Pale Fire by Nabokov is a really good book.

It's bonkers that he only switched over to English prose after writing his 9th novel.

Pale Fire is hilarious

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Nyrb classics is hsving a winter sale with a good bunch of books 50% off: https://www.nyrb.com/collections/winter-sale?sort_by=title-ascending

Not sure if they ship outside of us, will try later when im back home. Want to get that Nescio and maybe smth else

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

publishko posted:

this is especially apparent if you read it on a kindle that shows the relative distance between all the chapters. the chapter breaks get increasingly far apart then just stop appearing altogether

it's really interesting if you're interested

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Burning Rain posted:

Nyrb classics is hsving a winter sale with a good bunch of books 50% off: https://www.nyrb.com/collections/winter-sale?sort_by=title-ascending

Not sure if they ship outside of us, will try later when im back home. Want to get that Nescio and maybe smth else

$25 for shipping outside US and canada and an additional $8 for each added item :stare:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Burning Rain posted:

parse this for me and tell me what's good and what's trash

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 18, 2018

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

parse this for me and tell me what's good and what's trash

Robert Walser's Berlin Stories: good

Tove Jansson's True Deceiver: has a dog on the cover, how bad could it be

everything else: haven't read

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Can confirm True Deceiver is good. I haven't read anything else there. Will probably randomly buy some based off what sounds interesting

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
If you pick up a collection of poetry do you like to read it from cover to cover finishing it before starting something else, read it here and there, or just read the poems in any order without worrying about reading them all? I've been thinking about picking up a collected Wordsworth but its like 1000 pages and I just don't know if I can manage that much early 19th century Romanticism.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 25, 2022

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Wrageowrapper posted:

If you pick up a collection of poetry do you like to read it from cover to cover finishing it before starting something else, read it here and there, or just read the poems in any order without worrying about reading them all? I've been thinking about picking up a collected Wordsworth but its like 1000 pages and I just don't know if I can manage that much early 19th century Romanticism.

It's nice to have a big collection of all a poet's works but reading them cover to cover is insanity. That being said Lyrical Ballads is amazing and I read that cover to cover so I could recommend that if you want some excellent Wordsworth and some perfectly fine Coleridge without having to get the entire output of both. The Preface also gives a great explanation of Wordsworth's entire poetic outlook + what his project exactly was. Also there's a poetry thread now so post in that so it doesn't die quite as soon as it inevitably will.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

There's also the problem that a poet's collected works will tend to be organised chronologically which means if you decide to read front to back you're going to wade through a lot of very bad stuff before you get to their good stuff. I tried that with Yeats and read like his first 3 collections and guess what they're not very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013