Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

SomethingJones posted:

The studio tours are not a peek behind the curtain at a studio, they are an orchestrated exercise in confirmation bias.

Potemkin villages can be useful to the ruling elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Golli posted:

Since MLK day is almost a year away, I can imagine the ad copy will be reduced to its basics.

"Just like his hero Martin Luther King Jr., Chris Roberts has a DREAM.

Pledge now, or else you hate Martin Luther King Jr."

They did do a vets day charity one and it didnt go so well.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

PhallicPhalanges posted:

Is it funnier if the lawsuit goes away or destroys CIG? I can’t decide.

Kayak 6er?

Why not both.

It's funniest if the lawsuit grumbles away in the background causing periodic idiot meltdowns, while CIG continues to limp along getting shoddier and more desperate as even the most invested whales faith begins to falter.

I want it to survive long enough for everyone to see it for exactly what it is.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
While all this infighting is sometimes amusing, can't we all just agree to the following?

• Chris Roberts is a hack.
  • CIG/RSI can't make a game.
  • Derek Smart is a very silly person who occasionally gets things right about space game scams.
  • Star Citizen is, in fact, bad.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

intardnation posted:

They did do a vets day charity one and it didnt go so well.

If I remember correctly, it was universally panned because the IDEA of a money grubbing multi national private corporate entity (CIG is such a beast now) was using Vet's day charity to piggy back for marketing exposure and ship sales

Basically scummy of scummies

Not even sure they were donating even the full tally, just a small %

But I also don't care enough to check

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Bofast posted:

While all this infighting is sometimes amusing, can't we all just agree to the following?

• Chris Roberts is a hack.
  • CIG/RSI can't make a game.
  • Derek Smart is a very silly person who occasionally gets things right about space game scams.
  • Star Citizen is, in fact, bad.

This whole thing is just the Derek Smart show, all the funniest episodes feature him very prominently. Everyone else are just guest stars or extra's. Derek is Star Citizens Mr T, George Peppard may think he's still a star but no-one's watching the A-team for him.

Derek's detractors are the henchmen getting gunned down with a cabbage firing cannon made out of a lawnmower and some drainpipe.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's amusing to me that there are a couple reddit bros who seem to hate me almost as much as the good Doctor, for no discernible reason at all.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

It's amusing to me that there are a couple reddit bros who seem to hate me almost as much as the good Doctor, for no discernible reason at all.

IT WAS ALL APPARENT LONG AGO WHEN YOU GREW TOO BIG FOR STAR CITIZEN AND MADE IT ABOUT YOURSELF! NOW YOURE JUST A WORTHLESS FIGUREHEAD ON THE WALL OF TIME, A FORGOTTEN RELIC AS THE BEST drat SPACE SIM ROLLS ALONG!

-a backer probably

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Honestly though if dzunner posted a thread that was obviously going to rile the 6 or so backers that sit on reddit literally all day scouring for more useless conversations than mirificus can shake a quote at, and they, allegedly, just post to rile up beet, then who is really the master puppeteer?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The answer is Derek, of course

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Honestly though if dzunner posted a thread that was obviously going to rile the 6 or so backers that sit on reddit literally all day scouring for more useless conversations than mirificus can shake a quote at, and they, allegedly, just post to rile up beet, then who is really the master puppeteer?

I am

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Beet Wagon posted:

They genuinely think we are all Derek.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Beet Wagon posted:

You moderate not one, but two hate forums dedicated to bringing down Star Citizen

I'm the $180 million project that failed because too many people talked poo poo about it

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Beet Wagon posted:

You say mean things.

So long as you say mean things, they have to cope with the cognitive dissonance. Sometimes being a citizen hurts.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The answer is Derek, of course

Actually in this case I think the answer genuinely is Chris Roberts lmbo.

Foo Diddley posted:

You moderate not one, but two hate forums dedicated to bringing down Star Citizen

I'm the $180 million project that failed because too many people talked poo poo about it

It's me, the random internet guy who killed Star Citizen by posting "lmbo" on reddit and then talking about his dog

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Morningwoodpecker posted:

They genuinely think we are all Derek.

In a way, all of us has a Derek Smart to face. For some, shyness might be their Derek Smart.
For others, a lack of education might be their Derek Smart. For us, Derek Smart is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill Chris Roberts.
But as sure as my name is samfreez, the people of r/starcitizen can conquer their own personal Derek Smart,
who also happens to be the *actual Derek Smart!

*may not actually be Derek Smart

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Any friend of mine can pm me at any time of day and I will always reply ASAP.

*Hint: We are all friends here*

That's not what you said when you found my comment about Boba Fett. :colbert:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Actually in this case I think the answer genuinely is Chris Roberts lmbo.

It's me, the random internet guy who killed Star Citizen by posting "lmbo" on reddit and then talking about his dog

Weaponized cuteness is against the geneva convention :colbert:

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?
Well caught up with the thread! Been busy this past week with taking these three to doctors & vet: https://imgur.com/W8nvvQq

So we have someone claiming they've seen Sq. 42 being played and they offered the hot tub space machine again only with a green paint job? And they had a new ship that actually looked cool while landing. The ships and all that looked good. The Music has been excellent, I've had a few moments in the 2.x days in the PTU. But the fact people who had purchased the merchant man back in 2014(?) still had no info on what it was supposed to look like anymore let alone an ETA on arrival? Plus things like the Gladiator rendered practically obsolete by the P-38 looking one that cost $125 more before there was even a game and capital ships going from a dozen crew members to three dozen...I mean getting a dozen people together and coordinated for an online game is doable. Not easy, but doable. But trying to organize 30 people in tasks beyond C&C, pilot, gunner, and marines? Really? My friends and I took a look at that and knew it was time to think about cashing out and waiting to see if CIG can ever pull it out.

But there were some other things as I saw people on disability basically spending every spare dime they had on ships and such then complaining about not having money for other things in life. I've known two people who have died while waiting for the game. I one of the guys was in his late 70's. It was no surprise when he passed away. The other was only 34 and was shockingly sudden last year, and his death really took any wind left in the hype sails away. Honestly he was dealt a poo poo hand in life and was planning to use SC as a kind of escape after an allergic reaction to anesthesia for a routine surgery left him blind in one eye and kidney damage that required dialysis 3 times a week. That I could understand...kept his mind off pain and what not. But there were others who spent so much it led to divorces or law suits even when they spent $10k on star citizen instead of contributing to their kids' college fund as they were required to by custody agreements. Yeah $500 might sound like a lot, but I've spent well in excess of that for FSX, X-Plane, and DCS addons since 2013.

I'm basically retired at this point other than looking after the little one and continuing the consulting work I do, especially since this year we went to cash rent on the farms. I'll go down in two weeks, sign the rental agreement, and collect a check. A check large enough that even if my wife decides she's had enough of the bullshit in the legal world we'd be able to pay our bills and be comfortable. May not eat out as much, but we're not doing that anyway these days.

Star Citizen may end up being the end all, be all, but I have my doubts and I've had them for a while. Some of the things they "promised" never made sense like this whole mesh networking model. It could be innovative if they can pull it off, but so far they can't seem to implement features that are well understood and used by other games. Bind culling isn't exactly a new invention. If it is, hell I could swing buying that $5k pack of military ships or something....whichever that was...I don't remember anymore. And had CIG been making steady progress at least at the pace and competence of FDEV I probably would have spent that much. And FDEV has had their fair share of misteps and crap too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sunswipe posted:

That's not what you said when you found my comment about Boba Fett. :colbert:

Look. My mandalorian bloodhonor is thicker than online friend scrod, and I dont like it when people insult my uncle like that.

Maybe we can make amends over poutine and nfl blitz 2000 (BUT ONLY IF YOU STOP LOOKING AT MY PLAYBOOK)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Can anyone say whether the AMD letter will be disclosed in the course of court proceedings? :pray:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

Isn't the refunds subreddit just an extension of this forum trying to be somewhat helpful instead of rubbing all the time?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Wuxi posted:

Isn't the refunds subreddit just an extension of this forum trying to be somewhat helpful instead of rubbing all the time?

We rub all the time, everywhere. Apart from that, you are correct

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The crybabies on reddit eating themselves is great

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Late to the game on this, but I thought "defenstrate" was Toast trying to say "defend" and "demonstrate" at the same time in a novel fashion, rather than a misspelling.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CubicalSucrose posted:

Late to the game on this, but I thought "defenstrate" was Toast trying to say "defend" and "demonstrate" at the same time in a novel fashion, rather than a misspelling.

It's a bit like how I think 'conversease' when I see his posts, because I wish his conversation would cease

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

peter gabriel posted:

It's a bit like how I think 'conversease' when I see his posts, because I wish his conversation would cease

I always thought that meant you wanted to have a conversation on the high seas

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

https://giant.gfycat.com/FrequentSolidAmericancrayfish.webm

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 17, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

Definition 2: at ease with conversing

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

gently caress the ocean and everything in it

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Foo Diddley posted:

That's what I means when I say it about you me hearty yar!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Why does it's legs need legs? Seems a bit overkill to me

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

gently caress, gfycat is the goddamn worst, as an aside.

peter gabriel posted:

Why does it's legs need legs? Seems a bit overkill to me

Fun fact, sometimes the legs will walk in different directions and pull the starfish apart.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

gently caress, gfycat is the goddamn worst, as an aside.

Fun fact, sometimes the legs will walk in different directions and pull the starfish apart.

Good, it deserves it imo

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Thoatse posted:

In a way, all of us has a Derek Smart to face. For some, shyness might be their Derek Smart.
For others, a lack of education might be their Derek Smart. For us, Derek Smart is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill Chris Roberts.
But as sure as my name is samfreez, the people of r/starcitizen can conquer their own personal Derek Smart,
who also happens to be the *actual Derek Smart!

*may not actually be Derek Smart

you monster

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Beet Wagon posted:

Aaaaaaaaagh no no no no no

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

Aaaaaaaaagh no no no no no

Beet Wagon attacks. He uses 'saw in water'. It's super effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hi, it's me. The REAL Master Puppeteer. :smug: