Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m done hoping Preacher will get good but I’ll still watch the third season just in case. Like ugh the casting and the aesthetic are SO loving GOOD but it’s soooo goddamn boring

That's the problem when you adapt a road trip story but can't actually afford to go anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Give your shows better budgets AMC!!!!! Stop wasting it all on dour dreadful zombie bullshit. This isn’t acceptable now Mad Men isn’t on

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Still recouping losses from Low Winter Sun

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

Give your shows better budgets AMC!!!!! Stop wasting it all on dour dreadful zombie bullshit. This isn’t acceptable now Mad Men isn’t on

One of my friends was a Walking Dead fan for years, but ever since last year is just real mad that it exists.

I liked the first season a lot, and the first season of the game, but Jesus it gets slow for no reason at any point after that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some fast-paced genre shows on TV right now? I feel like a lot of what I've tried to watch in the past couple of years just slows the story pace down to an infuriating crawl to focus on interpersonal drama. Moving the overarching story forward in only the most minute ways (if at all) in any given episode just doesn't work for me, especially if the characters aren't universally great.

I feel like I made a monkey's paw wish in my teenage years when I yearned for TV shows to be more serialized. Maybe I should just go back and watch all the episodic TV from the past 40 years that I used to turn my nose up at. At least the story moves at a pace that can hold my attention.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
You should try Counterpart.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

What are some fast-paced genre shows on TV right now? I feel like a lot of what I've tried to watch in the past couple of years just slows the story pace down to an infuriating crawl to focus on interpersonal drama. Moving the overarching story forward in only the most minute ways (if at all) in any given episode just doesn't work for me, especially if the characters aren't universally great.

I like the Lethal Weapon TV series although it's not as good as the movies.

quote:

I feel like I made a monkey's paw wish in my teenage years when I yearned for TV shows to be more serialized. Maybe I should just go back and watch all the episodic TV from the past 40 years that I used to turn my nose up at. At least the story moves at a pace that can hold my attention.

I've been enjoying Miami Vice lately. I'm on the third season now.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

feedmyleg posted:

It's not on right now but you should watch Banshee. That show moves at break-neck speed. Literally.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Pqy2Tytgw

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Popelmon posted:

It's not on right now but you should watch Banshee. That show moves at break-neck/arm/knee/shoulder/dick speed. Literally.

Little more accurate.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been enjoying Miami Vice lately. I'm on the third season now.
If you’re gonna recommend shows off the air, you might as well say 24.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

feedmyleg posted:

You want CW shows for that. The thing with them, however, is that people tend to burn out on CW shows after 3-4 years and suddenly it goes from "Guys holy poo poo this is actually amazing" to "this is trash." Can't wait for people to turn on Riverdale next year.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I still don't get why people are so ecstatic about Riverdale and I sat through the entirety of season 1.

feedmyleg posted:

The Good Place?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

You want CW shows for that. The thing with them, however, is that people tend to burn out on CW shows after 3-4 years and suddenly it goes from "Guys holy poo poo this is actually amazing" to "this is trash." Can't wait for people to turn on Riverdale next year.

I mean Riverdale has already gone way downhill

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

The 100 is about as fast-paced as it gets. New season about to start in a couple weeks. The first 4 or 5 episodes will test your mettle. It's a trap.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

The 100 is about as fast-paced as it gets. New season about to start in a couple weeks. The first 4 or 5 episodes will test your mettle. It's a trap.

Can't wait to see yet more genocide.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Strike Back has been great for dime store trashy fun. Each arc is two episodes long and they pack maximum violence and sex in each episode.

Full disclosure, haven't started the reboot season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ape Agitator posted:

Strike Back has been great for dime store trashy fun. Each arc is two episodes long and they pack maximum violence and sex in each episode.

Review: It's good, not as good, but still good. The best character isn't the main two guys.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ash vs Evil Dead is pretty fast paced.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Travelers is pretty fast paced

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Rocksicles posted:

The 100 is an exhausting show to binge, with the new big plan failing every hour.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lycus posted:

The 100 is an exhausting show to binge, with the new big plan failing every hour.

Everyone sure is pretty though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If the cult in The Path was as wacky as the cult in Wild Wild Country, I'd probably have watched past S1.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

No plan survives first contact with the enemy, it's basically the law of planning.

Rhyno posted:

Everyone sure is pretty though.

Lindsey Morgan and Emily Bett are gym buddies. Everyday is leg day.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 18, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Cheers is untouchable. If you propose a reboot that take you behind the studio and put two in the back of your head.

I feel that way about M*A*S*H, too. On paper it's perfect; we're mired in unpopular, never-ending wars, with unclear goals and bodies piling up as attempt to protect Our Freedom And The American Way by killing people overseas. But it would just get cocked up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I didn't think Jessica Jones season 2 was gonna be as bad as everyone says, I thought it was just gonna have a stretched out second act and a dumb rushed finale like all these netflix marvel shows without exception do, but no, it's really stupid. They seriously used a bursting fish tank as a cliffhanger. That's some Batman 66 poo poo.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think my biggest complaint about Jessica Jones S2 is that it didn't feel like they had a good outline for the season, which is especially obvious in the aforementioned fishtank "cliffhanger" (that is more or less ignored the next episode), the rushed nature of the finale, and the complete lack of mention of Jess' old boyfriend until the episode he appears in. Also Head-Killgrave showing up in only one episode was really neat, and I feel that the season would have been improved with more appearances by him. Seeing a character's guilt or emotions portrayed physically is a generally a cheap and easy tactic (and the show did a good job explaining how Jess continued to be affected by him, even after his death) but having Tennant present to chew scenery and constantly undermine Jess throughout the season would have only made it better.

That said I thought it was pretty good, and am looking forward to where they go with the show from here, since there's a couple of significant status quo changes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah in 3 years.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ape Agitator posted:

I didn’t like Banshee but Strike Back was extremely my poo poo. Some of the characters are actually likable, which is where I had a problem with Banshee.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MiddleOne posted:

I still don't get why people are so ecstatic about Riverdale and I sat through the entirety of season 1.

Yeah, Riverdale has never been good, it's your stock CW teen drama with Archie names for the characters

lelandjs posted:

I think my biggest complaint about Jessica Jones S2 is that it didn't feel like they had a good outline for the season, which is especially obvious in the aforementioned fishtank "cliffhanger" (that is more or less ignored the next episode), the rushed nature of the finale, and the complete lack of mention of Jess' old boyfriend until the episode he appears in. Also Head-Killgrave showing up in only one episode was really neat, and I feel that the season would have been improved with more appearances by him. Seeing a character's guilt or emotions portrayed physically is a generally a cheap and easy tactic (and the show did a good job explaining how Jess continued to be affected by him, even after his death) but having Tennant present to chew scenery and constantly undermine Jess throughout the season would have only made it better.

I thought JJ season 2 felt way less dragged out than season 1, and of all the criticisms I had (namely that it was dragged down by boring Trish subplots that went nowhere, and Trish whining all the time and sucking), not making it "Arkham Knight but Kilgrave" is certainly loving not one of them.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 18, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I love it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
On a whim I started watching Hap and Leonard on Netflix, and it is extremely cool and good. Mostly because Purefoy and Williams have such strong chemistry, and great banter. It's also nicely atmospheric, but not in an overly showy way. anyone here appreciate this show?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently there's a Miami Vice reboot in the works with Vin Diesel producing it so my post from yesterday has aged poorly. :v:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Spatula City posted:

On a whim I started watching Hap and Leonard on Netflix, and it is extremely cool and good. Mostly because Purefoy and Williams have such strong chemistry, and great banter. It's also nicely atmospheric, but not in an overly showy way. anyone here appreciate this show?

I got distracted during season 1 and didn’t finish, but what I saw was really good. Love the leads chemistry, they really click and play off each other. I need to finish and get started on season 2...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hap and Leonard is really fun and has great character stuff but the plots are kind of weak and don't make the show stick in my memory.

That's not a big deal since they're like 6 episode seasons but it means every season I've forgotten what happened the year before.

Gonna start JJ S2 tonight. I'm not expecting to hate it because I haven't been as critical on these shows as many, but my general theory is that shouldnt feel forced to have each series standing on it's own and should do more Defenders/Heroes for Hire/Daughters of the Dragon combos. Just whatever feels right. I'll see.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 18, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm 7 episodes in to JJ S2 and my biggest complaint is

the stupid exploding box of ashes. They put that poo poo in an incredibly strong bag before they box it up god drat it.

Edit: Yo it's been 8 years since there's been new Stargate on TV.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 18, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Spatula City posted:

Hap and Leonard is amazing, and season 3 started two weeks ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seth Green sure has a lot of gray in his beard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Seth Green sure has a lot of gray in his beard.

He's like 45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I’m in my mid 30s and most of my beard is grey.