Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virgil Thatcher
Mar 3, 2008
Watch Marshall get elected as a result of that playground fight of a debate tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Got my voting done today. Thanks, thread.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Well, I learned something stupid tonight.

My parents, they of the poor voting choices persuasion, received a little newspaper this week. Every single article was about how bad Rauner is, except for the ones about how great Ives is. There's a comparison of gubernatorial candidates, except is only includes Rauner and Ives, so it's obviously a campaign ad.

It's produced by an LLC named Local Government Information Services. What a skunky name.
Who are they? Well, Local Government Information Services is owned by Upstream ideas, which is owned by Dan Proft.

Dan Proft the radio host, Dan Proft the Senior Fellow at IPI, Dan Proft the founder of Liberty Principles PAC.
That's right, Dan Proft is leveraging Super PAC funds to write fake newspapers to support Illinois Policy Institute.

Also there's like 30 of these dumb websites so I'm sure he's just spinning up more names for newspapers to keep people confused:
https://lgis.co/our_publications

https://capitolfax.com/2016/10/12/fec-complaint-filed-against-proft-newspapers/

gently caress dark money, and gently caress Dan Proft.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-litesa-wallace-harassment-payment-ethics-20180315-story.html

loving lmao

Everything in this state is dumb.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Every politician in Illinois should be fed to alligators.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

There are no good candidates for governor, just ones that are less bad. Voted Friday, got in and out super fast. I used to love voting on election day, but it’s hard to pass up the convenience.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I've been voting by mail for years since I'm sometimes sent out of town for work at the last minute. It's super easy and should be that way in every state.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

There's some Democratic group running "oh no Ives is just too conservative for Illinois" ads that I imagine are an attempt to troll conservatives into nominating Ives, like mccaskill did with akin a few years ago.

I'm worried this will work as well as hoping Trump wins the nomination so they can have a slam dunk general election but oh wait our candidate sucks and is surrounded by scandals and is completely uninspiring if pritzker gets the nomination.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Yet again, the Democrats will lose if they gently caress this up and that’s looking very plausible.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

After Trump, I believe anything is possible, but IL is way more blue than the average of the country, and Rauner has like a mid 30s favorable rating. The Dems would have to really really really screw this up to lose.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bird in a Blender posted:

After Trump, I believe anything is possible, but IL is way more blue than the average of the country, and Rauner has like a mid 30s favorable rating. The Dems would have to really really really screw this up to lose.

It's insane that Rauner has a shot but he does
The choices are
1a) super uninspiring political legacy guy who doesn't energize anyone, is anti-weed, anti everything and self funds to some degree, his only political thing is about cook county property taxes (kennedy) - could lose a low turnout election
1b) super rich dude with multiple FBI tapes out there of him talking poo poo with blago, is unable to say if more tapes exist (that means they probably do) and can also lose another low turnout election with 100m spent in negative advertising on both sides
1c) middle class nerd who has a history of bad votes that are hard to explain

meanwhile rauner's busy trying to get as many veterans killed in quincy as he possibly can for some reason

illinois loving sucks

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Yeah I'm worried about the horror of Ives getting the nomination and Democratic turnout being depressed because pritzker sucks/real bad FBI tapes come out/more shady financial things come out/#metoo accusations/whatever and Ives squeaking out a win.

Super long shot obviously but I'll never rule out something like that after 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
can't wait for the tape of JB calling Obama the hard r the day after the primary results.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/MaryAnnAhernNBC/status/975429695268425734?s=19

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jesus gently caress money really does buy anything in this country.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Oracle posted:

Jesus gently caress money really does buy anything in this country.

where the gently caress have you been for at least the past decade.

Honestly I thought JB would be higher up

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dexo posted:

where the gently caress have you been for at least the past decade.

Honestly I thought JB would be higher up

Yea, I think it speaks to how weak a candidate JB is that he has poured so much money into the race, and the best he can do is 1/3 the vote. Sucks because I had some hopes Biss would be a lot closer.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
drat, I voted Biss because I thought he was doing better than Kennedy and could beat Pritzker.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Are you loving kidding me.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's basically unchanged for months now

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

brugroffil posted:

Yeah I'm worried about the horror of Ives getting the nomination and Democratic turnout being depressed because pritzker sucks/real bad FBI tapes come out/more shady financial things come out/#metoo accusations/whatever and Ives squeaking out a win.

Super long shot obviously but I'll never rule out something like that after 2016

I've been thinking about this regularly since Pritzker ran the Rauner attack ad that stared Ives. Ives winning would be a nightmare but it totally can happen.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't figure out why there's 700 grand being dumped into the state rep primary race in biss's district (Laura Fine is moving up to take biss's seat). There's 3 indistinguishable women with school board experience and the same generic platforms, who cares which of them come out of it. I've been getting crazy amounts of mailers and seeing more and more articles about the money involved but no rationale for why

quote:

Committees controlled by seven Democratic state representatives poured in $359,400 just last Tuesday and committees controlled by House Speaker Michael Madigan contributed more than $22,000 so far this month.

I guess its just a squabble over party loyalty but good god that's a lot of loving money for a vote for madigan as speaker

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 19, 2018

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
They don't have Pritzker money, but it's still 3 extremely ambitious wealthy women who have more money than they know what to do with.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

peepeepants posted:

I've been thinking about this regularly since Pritzker ran the Rauner attack ad that stared Ives. Ives winning would be a nightmare but it totally can happen.

and already I've seen about three times an ad that says "THIS IS A CONSERVATIVE ACTION ALERT--UNION LIBERAL JB PRITZKER IS SUPPORTING JEANNIE IVES, WHO WILL WORK WITH MIKE MADIGAN. DON'T SUPPORT MADIGAN. BREAK HIM--VOTE BRUCE RAUNER!" on STL TV.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can I switch to the timeline where marketing doesn't control every single facet of my life? gently caress campaign ads to the end of time.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

xzzy posted:

Can I switch to the timeline where marketing doesn't control every single facet of my life? gently caress campaign ads to the end of time.

Not until corporate interest is out of politics!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

withoutclass posted:

Not until corporate interest is out of politics!

I don't think lack of corporate interests would stop Rauner and Pritzker from spending 100m against each other over the next six months, it's going to be insufferable

Also my predictions based on literally nothing:

Pritzker 35, Kennedy 31, Biss 30
Lipinski over Newman by 2

Rauner by 10
Kwame by 2 over Quinn

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Kwame by 2 over Quinn

No endorsements bump for Fairley?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Man_of_Teflon posted:

No endorsements bump for Fairley?

I think it's going to come down to name recognition vs machine for quinn and kwame, with higher turnout than normal carrying it for kwame. Who the gently caress knows though

Fairley is gonna be a distant third but again I don't think there's any recent polling on this at all.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

mastershakeman posted:

I don't think lack of corporate interests would stop Rauner and Pritzker from spending 100m against each other over the next six months, it's going to be insufferable

Also my predictions based on literally nothing:

Pritzker 35, Kennedy 31, Biss 30
Lipinski over Newman by 2

Rauner by 10
Kwame by 2 over Quinn

I'm not betting against you. This is a patently obscene amount of money for a governor's race already.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Took a look at my sample ballot for tomorrow in case I'd forgotten any races. Once I eliminated all the races with 1 or 0 people running, I'm down to five races total.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there any polling at all on Berrios? it's the only race I care about and I feel he's going to win just like dorothy brown did

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

there is a super progressive dude that I like running in my district but he is running against Danny Davis who has, to the best of my knowledge, never made a meaningful vote which I've disagreed with and is one of my favorite congressmen

i mean, Danny Davis is 77 years old and this is going to be his last term but if he has health issues it's likely that a neolib shithead governor throws a John Ossoff clone at us and gently caress That.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa gently caress i don't know what the gently caress to do.

ALSO: Is there some site you can put in your address and get a full sample ballot?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Junkiebev posted:

there is a super progressive dude that I like running in my district but he is running against Danny Davis who has, to the best of my knowledge, never made a meaningful vote which I've disagreed with and is one of my favorite congressmen

i mean, Danny Davis is 77 years old and this is going to be his last term but if he has health issues it's likely that a neolib shithead governor throws a John Ossoff clone at us and gently caress That.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa gently caress i don't know what the gently caress to do.

ALSO: Is there some site you can put in your address and get a full sample ballot?

Do you live in Chicago? If so, chicagoelections.com. Also ballotready.com, but I heard you need a facebook account or something, which sucks.

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

Do you live in Chicago? If so, chicagoelections.com. Also ballotready.com, but I heard you need a facebook account or something, which sucks.

I live in Printer's Row - the google maps pin for chicago is 3 blocks away from my condo :getin:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Junkiebev posted:

Your County Clerk’s website should have a link under election information, like here is the one for Cook County.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

No just a signup for ballotready. I've been on the Biss text out the vote campaign. My hands hurt!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Anthony Clark is great but Danny Davis is still awesome, unlike Bobby Rush, who's a machine stooge now.

You can't go wrong, either way you still have someone good in the seat.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
So are any of these AG's on the democratic ballot worth anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Remember to vote out Berrios.