Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Serephina posted:

Yes, and that single person was in a position to get it cut, and so it was. Remember turning triple swords into claymores? It's that all over again, but nobody wants to revert it since they feel it might out them as a raaaacissst (or something).

6203 posted:

Jihad is just a Arabic word that means holy war and who exactly was offended or off put by it? Was there ever a single instance of someone being bothered?
Congrats, fellas, you're holding the exact same opinion as a Redditor with the username TriggeringEveryone.

quote:

It may not seem like a big deal to you, but if the public perception of your religion is "murdering psychopaths who want to kill everyone not like them", you'd probably be a bit touchy about stuff like that too.
Except this guy. This guy's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, and Hitler was a vegetarian, so whats your point again? Also note the top voted comment.

Aside, media creators everywhere lift stuff that they like from exotic locals and roll it into their own work. I've seen some cool takes Christian symbolism from people who never grew up with it around them. So Jihad is about as cool as the Crusades and Legionaries. I personally associate Islam with sweet main courses and desserts, but then again I'm not from the states and don't have raging Islamophobia.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serephina posted:

Yea, and Hitler was a vegetarian, so whats your point again? Also note the top voted comment.

Aside, media creators everywhere lift stuff that they like from exotic locals and roll it into their own work. I've seen some cool takes Christian symbolism from people who never grew up with it around them. So Jihad is about as cool as the Crusades and Legionaries. I personally associate Islam with sweet main courses and desserts, but then again I'm not from the states and don't have raging Islamophobia.

Funfact: as a history wary central Slav I'm kinda put off by glorification of crusades

I'm not making a point for or against Sord of Jihad, just offering a perspective here

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The Jihad sword isn't a big deal but it was frustrating when it was renamed seemingly out of a misguided effort to remove a potentially "offensive" term. Especially seeing as it happened around the same time when a lot of cool, fun names were being removed and replaced with dull "descriptive" versions (autumn katana etc) the removal seems like a symptom of a larger problem, which is the apparent desire to remove all flavor from the game. This is a well tread complaint of course, and the whole reason gooncrawl got going in the first place.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Teal posted:

Funfact: as a history wary central Slav I'm kinda put off by glorification of crusades

I'm not making a point for or against Sord of Jihad, just offering a perspective here

Oh sorry if it wasn't clear, I totally agree that the Crusades where basically a widespread, extended duration atrocity, whose ostentatiously religious origins where quickly exploited for profit by everyone on the winning side. What we get depicted nowadays are cool looking armoured dudes who are all pure of heart and stuff - nevermind all of those massacres. Legionaries likewise we remember as a symbol of the first real professional amry and it's associated tactics, logistics, and power projection. I don't think any living person has the perspective and negative connotations that where had by those poor suckers ground under the foot of the Roman empire. I wonder how long it will be before the only things SS Nazis are remembered for are their spiffy uniforms...

War is bad, yet here we are playing a game about the wholesale murder of literally every living being that wanders into sight. Funny story: The first time I saw Prince Ribbit, I read his description and then carefully tried to avoid hurting him. I was totally going to find a way to turn him back into a human! Yea... it's not that type of game.

So back to Jihad, I liked it since it was all about TSO getting his wrath on. Shrug.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

6203 posted:

The Jihad sword isn't a big deal but it was frustrating when it was renamed seemingly out of a misguided effort to remove a potentially "offensive" term. Especially seeing as it happened around the same time when a lot of cool, fun names were being removed and replaced with dull "descriptive" versions (autumn katana etc) the removal seems like a symptom of a larger problem, which is the apparent desire to remove all flavor from the game. This is a well tread complaint of course, and the whole reason gooncrawl got going in the first place.

The devs can't take away niggerkiller's ghost, though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

6203 posted:

Jihad is just a Arabic word that means holy war and who exactly was offended or off put by it? Was there ever a single instance of someone being bothered?
Jihad has a lot more meanings than just warfare conducted in the name of religion. Maybe a Sword of Jihad would be acceptable if it represented your internal struggle to become a better person or something, but as it was it just played into a widely held negative stereotype.

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Jihad has a lot more meanings than just warfare conducted in the name of religion. Maybe a Sword of Jihad would be acceptable if it represented your internal struggle to become a better person or something, but as it was it just played into a widely held negative stereotype.

The game let's you murder slaves and eat their corpses.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Summon mass snowball beetles. Frozen boulder beetles that shatter upon impact, slowing the main target and doing aoe damage. Size of aoe and damage is based on distance.

Snow crab swarm. Cone shaped casting, all affected enemies in the cone are covered in tiny snowcrabs, dealing damage every turn, slowing, and chipping away at enemies armor until they're somehow shaken off by swinging or something. Doesn't even have to be a summoning spell since it won't create units, just causes a "snowcrabs" status.

E: the snowcrabs migrate to nearby enemies even if they weren't in the initial cone.

There's your level 7 ice spells.

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 17, 2018

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Played Troll(dont ask) of Fedhas for a bit, and it's actually not so bad. I mean the powers are completely useless so far but if you use the A-A ability, piety gain is ok at least.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

It's a sword themed around The Shining One and nobody suggests calling it the Shining Sword

edit: rename the Singing Sword as "The Sword of White Privilege" and replace all its lines with quotes of lovely posters

edit edit: add the sword of Men's Rights which makes all the female uniques go back to their sexy tiles

Roctavian fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 17, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the sword of vigilante mobs

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
FR: Social Justice Warrior class

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Rename it the Sword of #TheResistance

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fr: edgelord class

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

Smoke_Max posted:

I think it was distortion then, good to know that exists. The wiki page for distortion even helpfully points out that the thing I was fighting had it (Sonja). I'll avoid her next time instead of trying to bash her head in.

gently caress you, Sonja. I learned my lesson. :smug:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

That's just priest class starting with Makhleb tbh

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Tollymain posted:

edgelord is clearly a level 27 short blade skill title or similar

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The trouble seems to be trying to form a flavorful thematic link between holy wrath (normally associated with TSO) and berserk (normally associated with Trog).

My attempt would be

the +10 eudaemon blade "Gjallarhorn" {holy, *Rage rN+ EV+3}

and change the -Stealth to a 20-30 noise "The walls shake as the Gjallarhorn calls you to battle!" effect when the berserk is triggered.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know it's not (after making sure by googling it) but I'd automatically presume Gjallarhorn is a random syllable soup tbh

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Teal posted:

I know it's not (after making sure by googling it) but I'd automatically presume Gjallarhorn is a random syllable soup tbh

Bad news... Its some sort of Finnish "world music" band. https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gjallarhorn_(groupe)

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

6203 posted:

Bad news... Its some sort of Finnish "world music" band. https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gjallarhorn_(groupe)
a band named after this thing, presumably

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Teal posted:

Yeah looking through the unrands they've done a pretty good job of ensuring everything is either understandable through the direct meaning of the English name or a reference to Crawl's internal mythology. So unless it's shifted to an either all holy or all berserk theme Sword of the Zealot is probably the best that can be done.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
antisemitism detected

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are characters still unable to have more than 3 scales mutations levels across whatever scales mutations they have

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
bring back potions of cure mutation, but only for the zin's purification station vault

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

baby delivery truck posted:

Summon mass snowball beetles. Frozen boulder beetles that shatter upon impact, slowing the main target and doing aoe damage. Size of aoe and damage is based on distance.

I'll probably do this, having a boulder beetle related spell in Gooncrawl seems mandatory and this is a way more interesting take than just making a level 5-6 summon boulder beetle spell.

EDIT: Ultraviolent4 made a Faerie Dragon first impression video, if anyone is interested in seeing how it plays in-game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi5IvnrdqOA

Patashu fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 17, 2018

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Ice spell ideas:

Speed skates that move you [number] of squares in a line per movement action, for [duration].

A single [square/target] version of the 'create a block of ice' effect that Glaciate uses to obstruct movement. (Ice/Poison?)

The 'triple axel, double lutz' where you attack all the squares around you with 3x auxiliary kick, then do a short random blink and attack all the squares around your new location with 2x unarmed attack. This should probably let critters react during the duration.

Something to do with boulder beetles as curling stones?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 18, 2018

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Slalom: the ice-only version of (semi) controlled blink.

A spell that summons 6 'hockey player' humanoids with polearms from edge of LoS. One of them has heavier armor and a shield. Requires open space.

Slopestyle 720: jump over two squares and attack them as you pass.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 17, 2018

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Okay, finally got around to finishing the Design Details poll! You can take it at the following link:
https://goo.gl/forms/kmRUr3Lf8TH5V1x52

If there are any errors, please point them out. I'll fix them and correct the link. Remember, use this thread to advertise write-ins for any specific item if I've somehow missed recording them as options on the survey!

(this took 3 hours to make, kill me)

As for the Sword of Jihad thing, I will say that the word is definitely charged (see the difference between Google Search and Google Images for "jihad") even if that is not intended to be the primary definition. I would prefer not to change it back on that alone, along the same lines of asking to reimplement removed swastika vaults based on the argument of the meaning of swastikas in Hindu/Buddhist culture vs the meaning of swastikas in Western culture thanks to Nazi appropriation. However, I am definitely willing to change it to a better name than Zealot's Sword because that is really boring. I'm also willing to add in any other descriptions or flavor that anyone feels may have gone missing for no good reason.

E: Fixed some missing options.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 18, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Microcline posted:

Yeah looking through the unrands they've done a pretty good job of ensuring everything is either understandable through the direct meaning of the English name or a reference to Crawl's internal mythology. So unless it's shifted to an either all holy or all berserk theme Sword of the Zealot is probably the best that can be done.
except for Tzitzimitl, which have a borderline unspellable name for native english speakers(which makes looking up their exact info on knowledge bots a pain in the rear end)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That one should be reverted, the fiends = torment connection was nice to have.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

"the sword of zeal" communicates the same holy-warrior feel without making any reference to actual religions, and sounds much better than "zealot's sword" or "sword of the zealot"

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Floodkiller posted:

If there are any errors, please point them out.
You are missing one number option for Hell Effects Frequency. Put both 'Write In' and 'Don't care' as 5 because of this.

EDIT: Same with reimplement Rod section. Might be my computer not creating scroll bar.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 18, 2018

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

World Famous W posted:

You are missing one number option for Hell Effects Frequency. Put both 'Write In' and 'Don't care' as 5 because of this.

EDIT: Same with reimplement Rod section. Might be my computer not creating scroll bar.

Nope, I definitely missed them. Thanks!

Fixed link here if the old survey didn't replace automatically (survey results should still carry over, you shouldn't need to fill it out again unless your 6th and 7th choices really matter to you):
https://goo.gl/forms/kmRUr3Lf8TH5V1x52

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Nah, I'm good with them being at the rear end end but not the literal rear end end. If my votes been whittled down that far it obviously wasn't going anywheres anyway!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Remove it and make Vaults:5 tougher the longer it takes to reach it after entering Vaults for the first time

this but specifically w no cap on the power of the effect

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Are the questions meant to be required? I had quite a few with don’t know as 1 (since I hadn’t had experience with them either way), but I was required to give a rank to every row anyway. The first few questions were not required like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the permabuffs question is intimidating, could there be a list or something

• Locked thread