Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stank
Feb 14, 2018

ASK ME TO LINK THE POST THAT GOT ME BANNED FROM REDDIT!!!
Thorgy and Milk are insufferable garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Milk seems slightly more up his own rear end to me

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

they're just heightened versions of the worst parts of themselves on TV, they're not REALLY bad people :cry:

(but as TV show antagonists they were characters I loved to be made at!)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can't even remember the last time they did a dinner with Ru. They usually just do What's The Tee? now, don't they?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I have always thought Thorgy was insufferable but Thorgy in the finale was the only one who voted for the two who made the most sense (Shangela and Trixie). And I do think she did get kinda hosed over in the Stevie Nicks thing tbh.

I've decided to rewatch AS2 between now and S10. I forgot how mad it makes me that Roxxy gets loving carried through. Wins episode 1, is safe once, and is in the bottom LITERALLY EVERY OTHER EPISODE come on now, go home.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Moving on - are we getting a new thread for season 10? Is someone going to do that?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm still confused about the AS3 thread OP being mostly about season 9 and not AS2 so tbh we should just rollover the thread, especially with it just starting next week. Though I think OP said they'll make a fresh season 10 one so idk!

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.
The way Shangela constantly tries to stir the poo poo and then plays the victim is loving aggravating, I laughed very loudly for a good 30 seconds when Kennedy took her spot (it was really hosed up and probably will cause more trouble than it was worth though).

Everyone seems upset about the finale being rigged etc but All Stars always has bullshit gimmicks to replace the novelty of getting to know new performers I suppose.

Re: S10, based on early impressions I'm really hoping for Monet X Change to win, I think Miz Cracker and Monet are both going to do very well in the competition. I also really like Dusty Ray Bottoms, but I think she might be too relaxed to really snatch the crown, potential congeniality pick maybe (...Yes, as you can tell from this opinion, I am a massive New York Drag™ proponent, give me bright colours and comedy).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tbh I think the AS2 formula was perfect. Having the top two of the week LSFYL and remove one of the bottoms is a great idea, though it can end up a little boring ala dragging Roxxxy as far as they did, but I like the idea of that part of the show being different from a normal season. Adding another twist on top of it was a bit much though. Should have just come up with a new format entirely and gagged the girls with that, but that would require more effort I guess.

I love how many of the queens are backtracking now and saying after seeing the show as aired they would have voted for Shangela, and their intitial decisions were based on what little knowledge they had from when they were still competing + the finalist speeches. I feel bad for Kennedy!

Also all the queens saying they voted for the girls who 'need it most' and that 'Shangela is successful outside the show so she'll be fine'. If they were voting based off of who needs it most wouldn't it have been Kennedy v Bebe or Kennedy v Shangela? Trixie is basically way more popular than any RPDR queen period right now. If it was a matter of who needs the crown most she'd be at the bottom of the list. Girls should just say they're sticking with the decision they made instead of trying to backtrack for whatever reason, it's kind of a bad look and seems kind of lovely toward Kennedy, who is already getting enough hate for 'stealing' Shangela's spot when she had no control over it.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Dear Prudence posted:

Moving on - are we getting a new thread for season 10? Is someone going to do that?

I will put together the new thread this weekend/Monday/Tuesday/sometime before the premiere...

...so many gifs to make...

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

esperterra posted:

tbh I think the AS2 formula was perfect. Having the top two of the week LSFYL and remove one of the bottoms is a great idea, though it can end up a little boring ala dragging Roxxxy as far as they did, but I like the idea of that part of the show being different from a normal season. Adding another twist on top of it was a bit much though. Should have just come up with a new format entirely and gagged the girls with that, but that would require more effort I guess.

I love how many of the queens are backtracking now and saying after seeing the show as aired they would have voted for Shangela, and their intitial decisions were based on what little knowledge they had from when they were still competing + the finalist speeches. I feel bad for Kennedy!

Also all the queens saying they voted for the girls who 'need it most' and that 'Shangela is successful outside the show so she'll be fine'. If they were voting based off of who needs it most wouldn't it have been Kennedy v Bebe or Kennedy v Shangela? Trixie is basically way more popular than any RPDR queen period right now. If it was a matter of who needs the crown most she'd be at the bottom of the list. Girls should just say they're sticking with the decision they made instead of trying to backtrack for whatever reason, it's kind of a bad look and seems kind of lovely toward Kennedy, who is already getting enough hate for 'stealing' Shangela's spot when she had no control over it.

strong agree. airing dirty laundry about what queens would or should have done in retrospect is a bit lovely and contributes to the backlash / general fan drama. it also undermines the credibility of the winner, the runner up, and the queen votin'. not a good look!! but i think i have accepted that 90% of the drag race fanbase is totally insane so yeah

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This thread's hatred towards Thorgy prior to her voting the Correct Way™ sure is a look.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Shneak posted:

This thread's hatred towards Thorgy prior to her voting the Correct Way™ sure is a look.

hahaha even after she voted the way she did, i rate her preeeeeeeetty low. down in the art abyss with Milan

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Her drag can range from "meh" to "heh, ok". I kind of enjoy her sardonic sense of humor, even if it can easily be taken the wrong way. Her response to being eliminated is pretty much the quote of the season.

I feel like her massive dreads are really limiting what she can do visually. She either wears huge ugly wigs, or a more normal wig with a hat attached that presumably has some sort of compartment to stuff them in. Her finale look was pretty good example of the latter, though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Her drag can range from "meh" to "heh, ok". I kind of enjoy her sardonic sense of humor, even if it can easily be taken the wrong way. Her response to being eliminated is pretty much the quote of the season.

I feel like her massive dreads are really limiting what she can do visually. She either wears huge ugly wigs, or a more normal wig with a hat attached that presumably has some sort of compartment to stuff them in. Her finale look was pretty good example of the latter, though.

yeah thorgy's finale look was her best all season. aja's finale look i thought was pretty bad, but i was glad Milk was bringing the weirdness again

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Shneak posted:

She's always been average to me in terms of artsy queens on the show. I do appreciate her candor and energy in her shows and when she's recorded by other queens, though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love Thorgy being the only one to vote for the actual top 2, and I love her reaction to Shangela hitting the runway in that gown mirroring my own, but my opinion of her hasn't really changed. She's like the definition of a middle of the road Ru Girl to me. I like her but I don't love her, and I think she's pretty grating on the show but eh.

Her reaction to her elim was so good tho.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I actually loved Aja's look! I thought her poker face dead eyes sold it really well.

Stank
Feb 14, 2018

ASK ME TO LINK THE POST THAT GOT ME BANNED FROM REDDIT!!!
Thorgys drag is ugly and bad and her personality is grating. She's too obnoxious and has zero charisma or likeability to make up for it

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Stank posted:

Thorgys drag is ugly and bad and her personality is grating. She's too obnoxious and has zero charisma or likeability to make up for it

It would be fun to inflict her on other would-be winning queens though.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
RuPaul's Drag Race Season 10: Oh, Jesus, gross.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My only problem with thorgy is white person dreads. She even busted out the "my black friend doesn't mind" defense on Instagram.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Nihonniboku posted:

Yes, Shangela was robbed. Once Ben dropped out, that was Shangela's crown for the taking. I'm not sure Kennedy was robbed, though. She should have been sent home long ago, and her nonstop spinning on that final lip sync was further proof that she didn't deserve the crown. It was very reminiscent of the Latrice & Kenya lip sync, Kennedy just had absolutely zero understanding of self-awareness in terms of the song. And the way she pulled her wig back so tight, matching the wig color with her makeup color made her look bald.

Nihonniboku posted:

Trixie won because of the combination of being a fan favorite, and the fact that people don't really like Kennedy. No matter the pity party that Kennedy threw for herself, winning the crown was never going to suddenly make her more appealing. Ru knows that.

I think everybody recognizes that after Ben quit, Shangela should have won. But the eliminated queens were simply too salty to let her have that, and instead gave Kennedy a pity vote.

Here is some real talk. Kennedy is very good at drag, and a great dancer/performer but she just does not have "IT". Kennedy at her very best gets a meh out of me. She crushed her steps in Kitty Girl and it was just oh yeah there's Kennedy doing her thing. Put Shangela on that same stage and sure the dance steps aren't as technical but that bitch WORKS and leaves you wanting more. Kennedy's drag is just a little too safe, a little too outdated, a little too off from perfect to be crowned an Allstar. Also her whole strategy ended up being begging for the crown instead of proving she deserved it, not really the best look to present to the jury.

Shangela should have won but clearly having to do the jury interview rattled her. At least it wasn't downright embarrassing and cringe-inducing to watch like Bebe's.

I don't care if Thorgy was the only one to vote correctly, she is absolutely terrible.

What a lovely finale. The jury interviews alone should have been an hour long.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

cis autodrag posted:

My only problem with thorgy is white person dreads. She even busted out the "my black friend doesn't mind" defense on Instagram.

I'm still pissed she got sent home before getting read to death for coming back with those stupid loving dreads.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Bliggers- posted:

Here is some real talk. Kennedy is very good at drag, and a great dancer/performer but she just does not have "IT". Kennedy at her very best gets a meh out of me. She crushed her steps in Kitty Girl and it was just oh yeah there's Kennedy doing her thing. Put Shangela on that same stage and sure the dance steps aren't as technical but that bitch WORKS and leaves you wanting more. Kennedy's drag is just a little too safe, a little too outdated, a little too off from perfect to be crowned an Allstar. Also her whole strategy ended up being begging for the crown instead of proving she deserved it, not really the best look to present to the jury.

I think Kennedy's problem is her drag's lack of a character. She's extremely capable in nearly every category, performance-wise: dancing, singing, bringing glamour, even acting. But she doesn't really have a persona, on top of her already mellow personality. Popular queens are generally strong characters (e.g. Katya, Trixia, Jinkx, Dela), have strong enough personalities that they're already a character (e.g. Bianca, Latrice, Adore, Bob), or are somewhere in between (e.g. Alaska, Shangela). This is similar to how I felt about Shea, who was technically proficient, but seemed to lack an "it"-factor.

The other winners who don't really fall into these categories tend to be recognized for one primary thing, like fashion (Raja, Violet) or unique aesthetics (Sharon, Sasha). Honestly, it feels like being multi-talented is only important as a means of avoiding elimination. To really win, either the crown or a following, you need to stand out through personality or specialization.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Exactly - Kennedy is capable. She does her job competently and she knows what she's doing. But there's no extra edge to it, nothing that makes me sit up and go "huh that's interesting" like Trixie and Ben's humor, or Shangela's general sense of going balls-out in everything.

That being said sometimes Kennedy says bitter old bitch things that resonate with me :v:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

That said, Kennedy's also very genuine and real. Her interactions with queens and talking heads felt very honest, and I never feel like she's being fake. Maybe she's so real, she can't put up an entertaining enough front. v:v:v

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Kennedy is not a very exciting TV personality.

Drag Race is not drag reality, though, and I'm sure her live performances are amazing.

I think that's the worst thing about RPDR. For a lot of people, RPDR is their only or main experience with drag and they tend to think drag doesn't exist outside of it when in fact Drag Race is a small "mainstream" slice and those reality show dynamics mostly don't exist in real life.

For example, Christeene is amazing but totally not the type that would go on Drag Race or even Dragula.

very :nws: because it's fuckin Christeene: https://vimeo.com/channels/christeene

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 18, 2018

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Replace the entire us judging panel with the Thai judging panel. The Thai RPDR is so loving phenomenal.

Pangina is such an immensely talented queen. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd6cXC3B0rt/?hl=en

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 18, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pellisworth posted:

I think that's the worst thing about RPDR. For a lot of people, RPDR is their only or main experience with drag and they tend to think drag doesn't exist outside of it when in fact Drag Race is a small "mainstream" slice and those reality show dynamics mostly don't exist in real life.

loving agreed. I know so many people who love drag race but whose butts would clench to the density of a neutron star at your typical Pride.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

For example, Christeene is amazing but totally not the type that would go on Drag Race or even Dragula.

very :nws: because it's fuckin Christeene: https://vimeo.com/channels/christeene

Yeah I love me some Christeene but lol if that’s ever getting on TV.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Kitty Girl is stuck in my head. It's pretty upsetting.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Propaganda Machine posted:

Replace every season's top song challenge with Glamazon imo

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I love me some Christeene but lol if that’s ever getting on TV.

Dragula?

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Bina posted:

Dragula?
She'd never. Christeene is not at all TV-compatible, and it's not just because her act is so scandalous. She's constructed a whole delightfully, joyously hosed-up realm for herself, with a lot of help from a lot of really amazing collaborators, and it would absolutely fall flat if it were handed over to reality TV producers, even cool ones who like seriously transgressive drag. She and her unseelie court need to be in charge at all times.

(Always See Christeene.)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Shangela shares what she would've done for the Wrecking Ball lip sync

The biggest robbery is really us not getting to see what she had planned.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Bina posted:

Dragula?

The look maybe, but I still think it would require Christeene to be less...Christeene.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Propaganda Machine posted:

same.

this sounds so extra but I wanted every bit of it:
https://twitter.com/AlsoPurple/status/975180974869897216

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I don't really see the pity party speech thing some people are talking about with Kennedy. It just seemed like she was being honest and basically saying what most people are already saying and thinking. She needs this way more. I don't think she should have the crown or that she should have lipsynced over Shangela because something I can't put my finger on is just lacking for Drag Race but drat. She didn't even get her redemption because just like last time around she is seen as someone who basically stole a spot from someone else.
When I heard that she is always overlooked at shows and fans only approach her as an afterthought or because the lines are too long for the other queens I got really sad. She is one of the best performers of the show and definitively in my top 5 of queens I would want to see live.
I'm pretty bummed that I didn't get to see Shangela's children's birthday party entertainer act though. Even if it would have utterly failed it would have made that lackluster lipsynch entertaining. i also kind of feel like that song was a bad choice and miiiight have been skewed in Trixie's favor because she would most likely have been scalped in a high energy number with someone like Kennedy. It's probably for the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I’m one of the people who is only exposed to drag through RPDR. Is Adore doing okay? I loved her on her season and get so sad watching her in AS2.

• Locked thread