Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So, do all 7* units have some kind of universal chaining move or do you need a good 6* max to chain with till you get more dupes?

I mean, I see Trance Terra and Orlandeu are really, really good from what Microsoft Translated Altema.jp says... but how much will I lose out on chaining when I smoosh?

T.Terra still doesn't have universal frames like other casters have, but she has the stongest alpha damage in the game. Quad casting her elemental chains with another T.Terra is absolutely bonkers and if the boss or challenge doesn't preempt then there's a good chance they'd be vaporized by the attack. Most 7* dps units have some common chain pattern now. Most common is still Divine Ruination. Piledriver is probably the second most common but there are caveats because some of them have move element like Aileen and some are stationary like sephs.

Seph brought a new chain pattern that newer units have. He literally has access to every common frame pattern so he's the universal chainer. Quick hit and onionslice got a lot of units when 7* came out to make them more common but they are back to being one of the rarer chain pattern. Aureole Ray is still the rarest pattern with just 3 units having access to it.

Always smoosh for 7* and STMRs and just use a friend unit to cover the bases for challenges. It's not like you can take two of the same units for 10 mans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
^ I started writing something and realized there was another page. Basically that covers it. Make all the 7* you can. If you can field your own 7* chainers you’re going to probably be able to annihilate anything for a while. 7* are incredibly strong at the beginning and the difficulty curve is going to have to catch up to their power level.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Always smoosh for 7* and STMRs and just use a friend unit to cover the bases for challenges. It's not like you can take two of the same units for 10 mans

For serious business trials, you want to bring a friend unit anyways if you're looking for a partner chainer, just because a lot of BiS gear is either very rare TMR poo poo or one-per-account poo poo. The same logic is why you should only enhance one of each of your chainers you plan to use.

Also, STMRs are good if you can get them, even if they may not look like it at a glance (Noctis' STMR, for instance). They are still, at the very least, TMR-level materia/gear that you can essentially get for free if you happen to have four 5* copies, and you still get a 7* out of that unit along the way too.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Finally got around to doing Malboro today, though I didn't get the kill with limit burst achievement. Oh well.

Only Ice Bird left on my list of unfinished fights.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

arisu posted:

Finally got around to doing Malboro today, though I didn't get the kill with limit burst achievement. Oh well.

Only Ice Bird left on my list of unfinished fights.

I missed the LB achievement yesterday too and had to redo the fight a second time. I learned it applied only to the original Great Marlboro and not any summoned ones.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I figured as much, but unfortunately my team at the time wasn't in the position to throw in one extra attack limit burst into my kill chain.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://wiki.famitsu.com/ffbraveexv...9968;&%2335239;

Here is a list of who chains with who. I'm pretty sure there is at least another base 4* that has piledriver frames that isn't in the list. I dont know if japanese Lara has piledriver frames. Pretty useful thing to have to plan out your teams

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Here is a list of who chains with who. I'm pretty sure there is at least another base 4* that has piledriver frames that isn't in the list. I dont know if japanese Lara has piledriver frames. Pretty useful thing to have to plan out your teams

That link doesn't work, it takes you to a "sorry we can't find that page" message on the wiki. I think it's the url markup tag.

It does it automatically! I've tried to remove the markup tags but they keep getting replaced.

If you translate the page to English, option 12 under "access ranking" links to the correct page, or one could just copy the url to the clipboard from a quote post screen.

This has all been very helpful though, thanks!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 18, 2018

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Google Translate.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The webpage has katakana in the address and it seems to get royally hosed when pasting in the forum even thought it looks fine in preview

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Kheldarn posted:

Google Translate.

Best Google Translate I’ve seen in a while is Sazh in Dissidia Opera Omnia gets translated as Sads.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Can somebody explain the arena or point me toward a source that lays it out?

I generally just do the five missions to get the goodies and get KOed as fast as I can. Surprisingly, I actually won one today, because it was down to Basch and Ashe plinking away at each other, and I had maybe 5 more HP when the 10 turns were over. (I’m so dumb at this game)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
7* Zeke (Seighard) gets a "Magic Wink" move, apparently.

It's Earth Veritas with no armor, from the sprite.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

I generally just do the five missions to get the goodies and get KOed as fast as I can. Surprisingly, I actually won one today, because it was down to Basch and Ashe plinking away at each other, and I had maybe 5 more HP when the 10 turns were over. (I’m so dumb at this game)

Just get magic chaining units to blow poo poo up. My arena team consists of a tank, a healer (ayaka to deal with stop assholes) two T.Terras to blow poo poo up and a noctis to status effect everything that survived the T.Terras + contributing to damage. Just do the daily rewards and dont fall into the arena pit unless you really really want stat pots

In japan they are getting 5* tickets and I think UoC tickets from arena rewards now so while its more useful to run a lot of arenas now its incentivize people to spend lapis on orbs so only whales would probably go for that.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

- Since damage caps at 999 per attack (so 999 x 2 if dual-wielding, dual-casting, W-casting etc..) you really want units that can just do that. Just note that this is Per Attack, and not Per Hit, so multi-hit abilities like say Divine Ruination will actually still deal 999 damage, just divided across all the individual hits.

- Another way to get around the damage cap and just annihilate the opposing team is with chaining. Building up a chain can result in hits dealing up to four times the damage they usually deal. You can use two Ashes' to chain up Heaven's Fury and deal unbelievable damage this way, even if you can't dual-cast it.

- Status effects can decimate enemy teams in Arena. Amelia, for instance, is used a lot in Arena since she gets innate dual-wield for guns and can afflict AoE status effects on demand and the absolutely crippling Stop ailment as an AoE attack. Petrify, if it lands, will insta-KO an enemy unit unless the enemy AI is smart enough to heal it (if they even can). Some weapons also come with status effects attached, and will give each of your attacks a chance to apply it if the attack is Physical and dual-cast via dual-wield or W-ability.

- Movement-impairing Status ailments not only disable the enemy team but also prevent Evade units like Noctis from moonwalking out of your physical AoE onslaught, since the Sleep/Paralyze/Confuse effects and Stop ailment all drop Evade chance to 0% as long as they're up.

- If you are comfortably killing the enemy team, but preemptive enemy turns tend to be disastrous, start focusing more on HP and DEF than ATK/MAG for your offensive units, and bring a unit with ST or AoE Revive and all-status heal (Rikku's Pouch has this + status AoE attack).

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Just get magic chaining units to blow poo poo up. My arena team consists of a tank, a healer (ayaka to deal with stop assholes) two T.Terras to blow poo poo up and a noctis to status effect everything that survived the T.Terras + contributing to damage. Just do the daily rewards and dont fall into the arena pit unless you really really want stat pots

In japan they are getting 5* tickets and I think UoC tickets from arena rewards now so while its more useful to run a lot of arenas now its incentivize people to spend lapis on orbs so only whales would probably go for that.
I’m assuming you mean like top tier placement rewards and not rare board rewards since they have to be time gated. Which just seems obnoxious.

For arena and “the point”: you get an ever increasing multiplier to your points. So you get progressively more points as you spend orbs and win. I generally miss 5-8 orbs a day and usually hover around 10k in placements. You also get more points to spend by winning more matches, though the multiplier doesn’t apply there.

The biggest goal of it is getting pots for units. Pots are on the board for points and available from the arena gacha for the tickets you get from the board and for weekly/monthly rewards.

Ashe is currently the easiest strong unit to field for arena. Multiple copies of her gives you easily chained virtually unavoidable damage that never gets turned off by weekly rules and works through silence. And also heals you. She can also remove all status ailments on the entire team, so she’s a good candidate to wear a ribbon/discernment.

You get smashed pretty hard in the beginning. But eventually you get enough gear to be competitive and will start winning some rounds consecutively. It takes some gear which just takes time to accumulate. First step is being able to win most - if not all - fights on turn 1. Once you’re at that point you can start working on status immunities and hp/def/spr. Eventually you get to the point where you go to arena, pick the top opponent and mash repeat.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 18, 2018

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Barrage and other multi-hit attacks are great with status effect weapons like the Golem Rod... for a long time Bartz dual wielding the Golem Rod and a Mage Masher while using Gale Barrage was the backbone of my Arena Party.

Zidane has Soul Blade, which inflicts 3 status effects, one of which is probably going to be stone unless they're immune to it (30% chance of nonstone, 100% chance of stone if it makes it through all the other possible status effects the unit is vulnerable to) which is pretty much Ling's Dance of Death, the difference being it's not on a limited time unit.

If you have Rem and her limited Siphon Delta materia, you can pretty much neuter the opposing team, unless they have MP refresh to get a move off on their turn before you drain them again. Many Ayakas seem to be able to cast Curaja after I've Siphon Delta'd their team and nuked then to 3% health.

TL; DR: magic chains and status effects are what you want to use in Arena.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Dual wield Lasswel with Razzmatazz is the most overlooked arena unit. Then again, you can't get Razzmatazz anymore...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Hmmmmm daily was Orlandeau #4. I'm leaning toward enhancing/potting a second one and planning to 7* both rather than go for the Super Trust Reward.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

This is playable if I don’t drop any money based on the popularity of the thread and the OP correct?(I feel like I have to ask regardless with free to play phone games)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ugato posted:

Ashe is currently the easiest strong unit to field for arena. Multiple copies of her gives you easily chained virtually unavoidable damage that never gets turned off by weekly rules and works through silence. And also heals you. She can also remove all status ailments on the entire team, so she’s a good candidate to wear a ribbon/discernment.

Yeah, I had zero chance of winning this one.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bob NewSCART posted:

This is playable if I don’t drop any money based on the popularity of the thread and the OP correct?(I feel like I have to ask regardless with free to play phone games)

They've been giving out a fair bit of free rolls and lapis, so I think you should probably be able to RNG your way into some decent units. The free Lightning you get from the story, at max level, will carry you through every story mission except some of the later boss fights.

The early trials can almost all be cheesed with single friend units, actually most of the game's content can be soloed by the right unit with the right gear, so if you need a carry just ask in the thread.

ELT and LGD stuff will be pretty gated for a month or two unit you can assemble a good team of your own.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

Its ok to drop money if you like it but never on some of the poo poo packages they were releasing up till recently. Right now the packages they are coming up with are OK, but anything after black friday till recently was poo poo. For example, the recent saint patricks bundle, is actually a good deal

Having some spare lapis around will help you keep doing daily pulls, which will be your best bet to expand your roster.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its ok to drop money if you like it but never on some of the poo poo packages they were releasing up till recently. Right now the packages they are coming up with are OK, but anything after black friday till recently was poo poo. For example, the recent saint patricks bundle, is actually a good deal

Having some spare lapis around will help you keep doing daily pulls, which will be your best bet to expand your roster.

Honestly a new player has BOATLOADS of lapis in story mode to keep them rolling on dailies for a long time. it's just when you start considering the 5k pulls that things get iffy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

Short answer: Yes. You probably want to reroll till you get some good 5-star base characters to start.

I didn't, but I've got some great characters now. Eventually, you will pull some good units, but starting with some good ones beyond the Lightning will make you feel more powerful.

Got an Elfreeda today! Woot.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Alright, its the women's day banner with ayaka in it, gonna do some pulling and try one last time for a healer.
oh right poo poo hold on, gotta do free daily first.

Oh...oh! Well, mission accomplished then!
jesus christ this is the 4th rainbow and 3 of those were from the free pull, 4th from the daily, tickets have given me gently caress all

edit: correction! 5 rainbows and 2 of those were from daily draw

What did I do to recive gumi's blessing like this?

Tengames fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 18, 2018

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Ugh, I hate you, I rolled 3 tickets on the Support Banner and got a rainbow.... my third Marie.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Hmmmmm daily was Orlandeau #4. I'm leaning toward enhancing/potting a second one and planning to 7* both rather than go for the Super Trust Reward.

I would go for a single 7* and STMR. You can always get a friend 7* TGC for serious business stuff, and events won't really challenge you to have 7*s for a long time.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Orlandu doesn't benefit as much from his STMR as TDH characters do with high attack STMRs but I'm guessing theres going to be more sources of equip attack for dual wielders given that they have set a cap of 100% to it when most characters only get 30% from passives and none from gear right now.

But DR is the most common pattern in the game and you'll be swimming with a bunch of DV, Orlandu, Sephs, Hyous friends so its not much of an issue. And in the cases where you DO want to bring 3 dps units into a fight, you are almost certainly wanna take a TDH finisher instead of another chainer at that point.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Item world passives made capping stats a whole lot easier so this make upper range rolls there more enticing.

loling at the new arena rewards for JP. The FGO pvp bad civilization comic has come true in FFBE

Wait, I need to know more about this. Are the top 30 in Arena getting UoC tickets or something now?

Kheldarn posted:

Google Translate.

This has nothing on CG VoE/"Zekehart"s true name.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 18, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think top 300 get a 5* ticket but I also heard something about UoC tickets

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tengames posted:

Alright, its the women's day banner with ayaka in it, gonna do some pulling and try one last time for a healer.
oh right poo poo hold on, gotta do free daily first.

Oh...oh! Well, mission accomplished then!
jesus christ this is the 4th rainbow and 3 of those were from the free pull, 4th from the daily, tickets have given me gently caress all

edit: correction! 5 rainbows and 2 of those were from daily draw

What did I do to recive gumi's blessing like this?

It's just your time. Congrats!

HGH posted:

And his magic wink, remember.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So, do all 7* units have some kind of universal chaining move or do you need a good 6* max to chain with till you get more dupes?

I mean, I see Trance Terra and Orlandeu are really, really good from what Microsoft Translated Altema.jp says... but how much will I lose out on chaining when I smoosh?

7* units have tended to fill out the chaining families more systematically so that more units in a particular family chain with other units that aren't just a copy of themselves.

For instance, Lightning becomes able to chain with the Tidus family.

Edit: I should probably click over to the new page before clicking reply, heh.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 18, 2018

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Trying to decide if I want to attempt going balls deep on Batch 3. I know the rates are low, but those seem to be the best of the bunch...

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

HGH posted:

Wait, I need to know more about this. Are the top 30 in Arena getting UoC tickets or something now?

I approve of this post.

hagie posted:

Trying to decide if I want to attempt going balls deep on Batch 3. I know the rates are low, but those seem to be the best of the bunch...

If I weren’t loving swimming in all those units I’d pull on that banner. The “bad” on banner results are still best in slot TMRs.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

hagie posted:

I'm going balls deep on that one for TTerra in particular, but honestly pulling any of those six will be either immediately great for me or great down the line with 7*s.

Also, for Newbies who are having a hard time killing the event super boss snake, I put up a Cupid Artemios that can potentially one-shot it under the following conditions:

- You will need to reset a few times

Resetting is easy. Keep one unit available to move at all times. If things don't work out, close the FFBE application and just re-open it again. Accept to Restart the mission and it will put you back at the beginning of your turn, before you did anything.

- You must apply a 40% or better Light element imperil on the boss first thing

TGC and Agrias 6* can do this with Divine Ruination (un-awakened works in both cases). There are multiple other sources as well. The most important thing to note is that the imperil MUST be applied BEFORE Cupid Artemios is ticked to attack. Because C Artemios takes ages to actuall land his attack, whichever unit you use for the imperil will not be able to participate in the chaining step that amplifies C Artemios' damage.

- You must build a chain modifier up to 400%

Simplest way to do this is to have two identical units with some form of dual wield (Lara Croft for instance) and any multi-hit ability that is easy to chain. Equip the same elemental weapons on both. You will reach the max damage multiplier on the 10th chain hit with a single identical element across two chainers.

- You must land C Artemios' Lux Magna+2 at some point within that chain while its multiplier is 400%

Because Lux Magna has a 120 frame delay, you'll need to pre-fire it. This can take some practice, and you can reset until you get it.

- C Artemis will deal a variable amount of damage, even if all is done right, so it might still take a few resets to get enough damage to net the kill.

He will deal between 1.3x and 6.5x his damage. At 4.1x or more, he'll deal over 12 mil when capping a max-multiplier chain with a 50% light imperil on the snake, which is enough to kill it.

Edit: - Don't forget to get the Magic kill condition!

This might be easier to do with 6 party members vs. just 5, since you want to keep at least one member un-used in case you need to reset the fight. Also, you want something that won't be Reflected like Ultima, Alterna, or Meteor. Alternatively, you can simply dual-cast a weak spell like Thunder first and then longer spell like Thundaga/Holy after, so Thunder uses up the reflect and the next spell gets through.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 18, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BGrifter posted:

There's no reason to make two 7* copies of any of those units. Just keep the other 3 as STMR fodder. A second 7* Orlandu is a waste.

You also need tens of millions of XP to go from 100 to 120. You aren't going to just max level multiple 7* units like it's NBD unless you spend months stockpiling XP.

e: Also, Orlandu's STMR is a 174 atk light element greatsword.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Got up another 5k lapis from doing the story to make another attempt for exAileen. Did the pull, saw a rainbow in the last slot!

I mean, it's another rainbow, but still not really one I wanted. She doesn't chain well with any rainbow except fohlen, who admittedly I do have. Her equipment options are rather limited and I don't have a lot of TMRs to equip her right now, and fohlen has the exact same equipment options. Dunno, maybe I will warm up to her. At least she has a little dragon.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Did 10k in pulls on the attacker banner last night. No rainbows. Makes up for getting elfreeda in 5 banners before....

Still have enough for 1 25k stepup and an 11k stepup. Still hurts though

Edit: got olive on one of the two ex tickets. That helped a lot. Ready to 7* her now

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I decided not to break my rule. Im not pulling on poo poo until its a legit nostalgia banner.

• Locked thread