Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe your troops would be less cowardly if you promised free pizza for recruits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The campaign really does love those dumb dishes. If it was just one it wouldn't be so bad but it's always five of them for no reason and they have no real use. And that earthquake is definitely a scripted event to take out the nuclear plant.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hey now, Presidente aint fat he is just big and beautiful, ok?

Voting time! Next map has us dealing with Santana after he discovers who we are. Got 2 Presidente's here

A

This Presidente is more of a diplomatic sort, it'll be helpful if Santana tries to mess with our foreign affairs. However talking to so many different types of people Presidente feels the need to visit the doctor often to see if he caught any foreign diseases...

B

This Presidente has embrace nature after the shock of losing and recovering El Toucan. Also the whole mother nature destroying a nuc-u-lar power plant. While he can't help but piss himself in combat, he doesn't concern himself with visiting the doctor as often.

E: This are basically the only traits we haven't used yet, just trying to get them all seen at least once!

E2: Crap uh, hey I should probably mention the voting ends on 12 pm Monday :downs:

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 17, 2018

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Be safe, El Toucan :ohdear:

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
From somewhat agressive commander-in-chief to a peace loving hippy.
B

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Be one with the earth, Presidente.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

B beecause A has the worst trait in the game. :gonk:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Poil posted:

B beecause A has the worst trait in the game. :gonk:

A because I wanna see this

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Is hypochondriac really that bad?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well it's not crippling or anything but the need for healthcare drops twice as fast and tropicans still react as if it was falling by the normal rate and they die if it hits zero so...

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
A

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Poil posted:

Well it's not crippling or anything but the need for healthcare drops twice as fast and tropicans still react as if it was falling by the normal rate and they die if it hits zero so...

So Vote A!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That was the mission that had me swear off nuclear power plants entirely. "Hey cool, a free one! Now for the uranium imports...any day now. Imports? I need imports for this thing to do anything. Hello?"

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

A

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Looks like option B has won by a single vote!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I feel like the crush the rebels objective should've just had a planned attack on that one.

Also, you were spec opsing your military, but didn't have Military Modernisation running? :psyduck:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

I feel like the crush the rebels objective should've just had a planned attack on that one.

Also, you were spec opsing your military, but didn't have Military Modernisation running? :psyduck:

Nah I had the Modernization edict up, but you don't get the points for it until you accept that quest that pays out points for it.

E: Also sorry for the delay, I had 2 runs go tits up when I tried to go with tourism and the game just decided I was no longer allowed to have tourists with spending limits above 25 which completely tanked my economy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
To Bait Fish Withal

Yeah we'll play his games, "for now"

I'm disappointing that despite having a hippie in the cabinet there isn't any hippie clothing option for Presidente! All I'm asking for is a tie dye shirt and long, straight hair with a headband!

Naturalist gives a +25 respect with the Environmentalist, a +15 respect with the Intellectuals and -30% pollution at the cost of +10% building prices.

Hotel Corporate Buyout gives +15 US relations, +10 Capitalist respect, +5 Environmentalist respect, +10% liberty, +30% tourism rating and your first hotel is free, even bypassing needing a blueprint for it. This is such an obvious pick for tourism related playthroughs. If tourism was as good as industry :v:

Coward gives +3 respect with the Religious faction, but the Presidente and any soldiers/supporters are twice as likely to flee. Each rank gives more respect with the Religious faction.

Incorruptible gives +10 respect with the Intellectuals and -10% crime. Each rank further reduces crime. In the first Tropico game this would also completely disable your swiss bank account, which was funny if certain scenarios or victory conditions required the swiss bank account, the trait would be locked with "This missions requires some corruption"

Witch Doctor, which requires the Voodoo DLC, gives +10 Nationalists respect and reduces your citizens healthcare need (Don't think it is ever explicitly stated, I assume by 50% just going off the religious fanatic trait making people need to go to church 50% more often) but gives -10 respect with the Religious faction. Each rank gives additional Nationalists respect.

Welcome back to Isla Obscura, that one island with the mafia.

Oh hell I have a twin? You know I saw my twin after work the other day, guy was driving a car exactly like mine, same paint job and even had the exact same hood with the scoop on it.

Sunny Flowers: Another fine day in sunny Tropico, the most beautiful island in the Caribbean! This is TNT, I am Sunny Flowers, and my co-host Penultimo is... somewhat busy right now.

Penultimo: No, Presidente! Yes, Presidente! Anything, Presidente!

Sunny Flowers: Time for some music, I guess.

Nice threat and all, but I just fired all my palace guards so fuuuck you :smugbert:

This is what happens when I start a map and go "Oh god I'm going to just redo the same thing I did last time, wont I?" If nothing else it allows our citizens to drive to the farms instead of having to stop in front of the palace and walk the rest of the way.

And this is also what I do when I want to change things up. A non insignificant amount of money is used at the start to set down roads, its annoying that you don't get any money back or can't just undo a road you placed if you messed up.

Another annoyance that I don't think I mentioned is that buildings can only be rotated 45 degrees at a time. This means if your roads aren't set up in certain directions buildings wont neatly line up with them, so I had to place a few buildings around to make corners and ensure my roads were straight.

God bless Marco :tropicosalute:

Meet a new building, the Scenic Outlook, found under Attractions for 1k. It requires no workers to operate, but its stuck at an entry fee of 3 with a limit of 10. It attracts Slob, Eco and children tourists and has a base service quality of 75. It gets some easy early money but I mostly wanted to show it off. If you were insane you could change its work mode to the most expensive option for a higher service quality,

And I don't think I actually talked about the pool? I remember building one and even mentioning it but I didn't go into detail, I think that may be because I thought I already talked about it when I actually talked about the Spa.

The Pool is found under Luxury Attractions for 6k. It has a spending of 30 and a base service quality of 85. Who it attracts depends on the work mode:

No Dress Code attracts slob, spring break and children tourists.

Upscale Dress Code attracts eco, wealthy and children tourists and gives a 20% service quality.

The pool is like a better version of the beach site, it can hold more people (16 vs 10) and has 5 more spending limit.

Thats right tourists, fall right into the class of Presidente's tourist trap!

I think we just had an international incident.

Now that we got luxurious housing and attracts for our tourists, time to build some crappy tenements and a dingy bar for our citizens :capitalism:

I like the little nudge with "They'll still be on your island, you wont even notice!". With secret agents and needing power to build the roller coaster its going to take some time before we can progress the mission.

So yeah, thats the 2 plot threads this mission: Santana blackmailing us while Marco asks for help pulling a revolution on Santana's island.

Meet the Balloon Ride, the final building under Attractions! No really, there is no additional ones in Modern Times. Anyways, under Attractions for 5k this building is for slob and children tourists. It has a base service quality of 60 and a spending limit of 35. It also has some upgrades:

Hola-Cola Balloon costs 2.5k and spawns a sponsor balloon that will negate the cost of upkeep for the building. You'll still have to cover the wages sadly.

Propaganda Balloon costs 5k and will spawn a balloon that can convert nearby citizens into Loyalists.

Tourist Balloon costs 1k and will double the visitor slots. Which is mandatory as the building starts with a measly 4 slots!

Sunny Flowers: I am Sunny and I just have to tell you that the view from our balloons is fantastic!

Penultimo: I don't know, I feel kinda dizzy...

Sunny Flowers: Story of the day, dear listeners - Penultimo is afraid of heights!

Penultimo: Get me down :saddowns:

As said, buying the upgrades will cause additional balloons to appear and float around the area. Also ignore the orange overlay, a drought hit the island. Hilariously enough I destroyed all the default farms (had the token humanitarian aid camp up) and was in the process of rebuilding that area so I got the achievement for having no dry plots of land after a drought. Can't have any dry crops if none existed in the first place :haw:!

Enjoying the view of our dock? Well make sure your extremely blocky camera got the shot...

Cause I'm blowing the view right up! Stop causing eco tourists to come to the island dammit :argh:

Here is how the tourist block is progressing, sweet a hotel full of spring breakers!

Got the marina up of course, checking out some of the billboards on them. The billboard on the left shows an ancient ruins on it, too bad there is none on this map. Well no, ancient ruins suck, just ancient forts for me.

Starting up the middle class area, just north of the tourist district.

Hm, China has a revolution in the Caribbean? I would google it but right now its all clickbait articles of "China just unveiled its newest jet - Here is why America should fear it" I did learn a bit about Sino Caribbean! As an aside the wiki shows some pictures of real people that various characters in this game use as an inspiration of their caricatures, here is Yu Li as Sha Zukang:

https://lpix.org/3074130/latest?cb=20140323221326

There is another character in the Modern Times who is glorious at matching his real life counterpart.

Here is the remake of the farm area, I put a papaya and a pineapple farm up here, with a goat and cattle ranch. I started importing corn so thats why I got rid of them, and the land that papaya and pineapple needed was just a little further north then the default farms.

And I started up a little industry strip, with a power plant. I didn't want to build a wind turbine all the way up north and then a bunch of substations down south. Presidente is a naturalist, a Tropican naturalist. Other nations can destroy their land in the name of profit, we will simply import their goods and refine them. 100% made in Tropico, with materials sourced out of the country!

I really did try to do a tourism only thing, I even had jokes where I would pull up requests from other nations to export stuff with INDUSTRY IS MURDER :byodood: but uh, then tourism hosed me. Hard.

New edict time, for some reason I don't really pull this as often as I should. I mean, an entertainment (and tourism but who cares) bonus for a negligible crime boost. I hope in T6 there is a visual indicator with Mardi Gras, and hell other edicts, going on. I wanna see Tropicans partying in the street!

Try 2 minutes Penultimo. Anyways hey its part of the main mission and our police force is finally skilled enough to be a minister of interior so..

Heh, I bet they wouldn't expect to find the secret police in an ACTUAL POLICE STATION! Its so obvious!

W-w-w-w-w-whaaaaaa? El Toucan, I'm so sorry, but I think you're a bachelor now :(

As a safe haven for any wayward toucan refugees, we built a zoo in their honor. Which screws me over as eco tourists start flooding in and occupy the slots meant for my citizens. Have I mentioned I really dislike tourists flooding buildings that were not meant for them?

There Santana, there is your stupid rollercoaster, gonna commit anymore war crimes?

Sunny Flowers: A man was rescued from the new Tropican rollercoaster after panicking, (giggles) climbing to the top of the rollercoaster and demanding that he be taken by the Presidente's guard to a "very important official event" (bursts out laughing)

Penultimo: I DID NOT PANIC!

I love the radio :allears:

Enjoying the ride ladies? Don't forget to flash your top at the end of the ride for the camera. Anyways I don't think I actually talked about the rollercoaster in detail!

Found under Luxury Attractions for 11k and 4mw of power, the rollercoaster provides a base service quality of 70 and a tourist spending of 35. It has 2 work modes:

Normal Mode is the default that appeals to slob and children tourists

Extreme Speed increases the service quality by 10 but only Spring Break tourists will use it.

Considering its power requirement and costs, that spending is way too low to really justify buying it. You can get a Marina for cheaper, no power and that has 50 spending, and if you were attracting spring breakers it would effectively be a spending of 75.

We shall heroically ride that rollercoaster and give both middle fingers at the end of the ride for the camera. With the thumbs extended!

Whatcha gonna do about that Santana? :smug:

Er... why exactly do you need women? Look, how about this: Instead of 10 women I give you one woman, she is quite intelligent which causes her to have a rather unfortunately shaped head but she seems to very uh... thirsty.

He... shaved his mustache and beard? Santana you sick gently caress! What is a man if he cannot have a glorious mustache and beard?!

Have a shot of the island. Yeah its taken this long before I started advancing, though thats because of my previous attempts I wanted to be sure I had a comfortable amount of cash.

Oh I got a humorous pamphlet for you. Its a cartoon of Santana's receding hairline.

Speaking of, gently caress off Santana.

Wait what?

Why does a guy on another island even have control over the wages of my island?! You're a dick Santana. Now I gotta readjust wages and change rents and increase the price of entertainment buildings!

I think this is another Shakespeare reference. Anyways, 3 banks? Yeah, no.

Eeer...

:supaburn: Oh christ, I mean yeah I had a large amount of criminals in the first place but this isn't helping!

Already got one built, and what the hell is this? A mission that pays me more money then the money I have to spend accomplishing it?

Got the paradise hotel up with the fingers rising in the background. Its very symbolic.

Joke's on you Santana, most of the money is through Tourism!*

*Until the game decides I don't deserve any tourists with spending limits above 20 and completely guts my economy, and I can't survive it as the $15 minimum wage increased my expenses by 2.5 and firing people wont work out

Botanical garden is an eco tourist attraction which we don't want so...

Meet the Ferris Wheel! The last non DLC Luxury Attraction! Again, Modern Times doesn't add more Luxury Attractions. Ferris Wheels cost 9k and require 20mw of power to run. It has a base quality of 50 and a spending limit of 30. It has 2 modes:

Normal Mode: is the default mode that attracts slob, spring break and children tourists.

High Speed only attracts spring break tourists and only courageous Tropicans will ride it.

I guess Tropicans can ride it if I wasn't putting a high entry fee on them. Again, with the power requirement the spending limit is way too low to justify buying one.

Penultimo: Heeello Tropico! I have great news for all you thrill seekers. Today our beloved El Presidente will unveil a brand new Ferris Wheel. With a maximum spin speed of 100 miles per hour this attraction is guaranteed to make you hurl in 1.3 seconds. I can't wait to go!

But I thought you didn't like heights, Penultimo?

As an aside, these 3 buildings get a service buff by being near one another. And you get an achievement for it!

Alright got half our criminals in prison. I COULD build a second prison, or...

Later, assholes!

Gotta wait a year with our reduced export prices. Good thing for tourism!

As an aside, something I completely forgot to mention: In tenements and apartments you can install climate control in them for a thousand bucks and 2mw of power. It increases the housing by a good amount. However, :effort:

Expanded our industry lane for a weapons factory. There are some requests that will require canned food and guns soon.

Oh wow, I guess its a good thing clone Presidentes are low quality with their textures, a perfect clone would cause an explosion! Also I would try to be the voice of reason and recommend against having Santana kill the fake twin, but the man had his mustache and beard shaven. Killing him would be a mercy.

:jerkbag:

Man, this game suddenly got really topical!

Normally I would continue telling you no... but sending defective weapons is more hilarious!

Don't worry, you'll love what you get ;)

Thanks to our Tourism we already had a good relationship with the US anyways for that tourism bonus. If we didn't have enough relations we could just fork up the 40k.

Pineapple ammunition..?

As an aside we are getting jack-all for tourists. None of our hotels are past half full, and one of them is completely empty. Because I set the minimum to 40 and arbitrarily the game stopped giving me rich tourists. This cost me a few games.

As far as I know this doesn't actually do anything. Along with the palace guard comment at the start, nothing comes from it.

With the newspaper and the token TV station up I build 2 radios to get our remaining 4 journalists. It was either that or one radio and one "art" museum and I don't want wealthy tourists.

Yeeeaah.. about them being armed with a supply of weapons, I wouldn't worry about that. Also the thought of exporting canned food and using the cans for purposes of weapons making is actually pretty amazing.

Raaaadddaaaarrr ddddiiiissshhheeess :byodood:

"And the whole island stinks of pineapple" hahahaha, awesome. We flooded Puerto Gato with our canned goods. PS: Go gently caress yourself Santana. El Diablo always gets mad so I don't care if you send those letters to Congress.

Money shot of the town! With tourism I didn't really feel the need to increase the population, so it took a while to actually get the city this large.

In the words of my cousin Sten: gently caress off!

Oh, hmm.... eeer. Thats a bit low, eh? Oh well, not like we do much with the USSR anyways.

Got an airport up finally, so I can use an edict that I am seriously kicking myself in the face for ignoring:

This edict is loving amazing and required for making tourism profitable. Besides attracting richer tourists, it will also ensure most of them are spring break tourists. No more slob tourists taking up your valuable hotel space!

As an aside, I told Santana to go gently caress himself again and I didn't realize that the relations penalty stacked. So I'm gonna start paying him now cause uh, I don't want to be invaded.

Unrelated but here is a visualizer in how far the firehouse's housing buff extends to. The firehouse is in the block on the center right with the police station and prison, the circled house is the furthest house effected by it. Really wish they just put in an AOE marker for it.

This isn't good. We are relying on imports for the industry, and I forgot that the USSR is who I was getting iron from.

Oh hey this finally happened! Volcanoes have been on a few different maps but never went off.

Also, you say I cannot control the volcanoes on my island Penultimo? Challenge accepted!

This is what volcanoes look like, and when its erupting you get this gorgeous black cloud of ash and soot.

You have an overlay available that'll show you what is in the danger zone of the volcano (there is also one for tsunamis). However I never built north of the starting area so this volcano does absolutely nothing!

Penultimo: In the aftermath of the recent volcano eruption, the authorities are advising us to remain calm and do not panic -

Sunny Flowers: Aahh, is that fire? FIRE!

You know Crane, I've been spending this entire map telling someone I don't like to gently caress off. Guess what I'll be doing again?

Speaking of planes, check out our tourism! 81+% spring breakers! Add in the fact they can be the most profitable tourists, the spring break package is basically required for tourism.

Yeeah, party!

New building time! The smuggler, which requires the Pirate Heaven DLC, is under Food and Resources for 3k. The smuggler will grab some extra resources that we need from every freighter that arrives at a discount, even if we are under an embargo. This is so we can get our iron despite the USSR hating us.

Welp, to get Santa to stop demanding money every 6 months we need to partner up with the US. I gotta say though, wouldn't Richards protest against this alliance? We are getting buddy buddy with the States but we are on a shitlist with the president!

When we activate the edict we need to manually place the army base, which is good cause iirc in Tropico 1 it would get randomly placed. Sad that it looks exactly like the Tropican military base. It doesn't do anything besides pay a rent.

Penultimo: Tropico is now allied with the US. Sunny, did you know that Uncle Sam is my actual uncle?

Sunny Flowers: And what about Lady Liberty?

Penultimo: Well... Back then she wasn't a lady yet.

And there we go, just gotta build a golden statue to encourage the people to oust Santana. I'm glad we can all get toge

Oh, guess who hates foreigners having a base on the island?

Yeah, the USSR really doesn't like us :v:

I'm currently waiting to finish the other side missions, and while waiting we finally got some iron out of our smugglers. I imagine this would be a good way to keep down the price of uranium for nuclear power plants. And the thought of smuggling uranium is hilarious.

Just like to mention, look at how much money we made in total off our luxury cruiser.

Compared to the Marina. Hell, check out the visits. The Marina was around basically by the start, and the Liner was build recently. Tourists loving LOVE the liner!

And check out our most worthless attraction, only attracting a whole FOUR tourists!

Yo El Diablo, what the hell? This is murder!

Sorry for the people living in these two houses, eminent domain and all that

Hahaha, yessss. Meet the glorious golden statue of El Presidente! Found under Landmarks and Beauty, the Gold Statue costs a whopping 60k. It increases the beauty nearby and when complete will instantly convert 10 people to the Loyalists faction. It has 2 work modes:

Stand Still is the default mode

Rotate Gracefully doubles the upkeep (to 120 a month) and will increase the nearby beauty even more, and of course makes the statue rotate.

Money shots of our island

Victory! Next up we take Puerto Gato from Santana!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Nice. Cant wait for revenge.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You know, I'm kind of concerned that Santana wouldn't really get his comeuppance, because Merchant of Venice (which the last two end paragraphs come from) actually ends with a happy ending for all its characters- even Shylock, who gets a kind-of-happy ending.

Then again, at least Presidente isn't quoting Titus Andronicus :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am surprised the Russians and their supporters were not always happy with you since you enacted that $15 minimum wage.
The WW2 grenade is sometimes called pineapples. Maybe that is the pineapple ammunition.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright vote time! I thought we had less unused traits at this point but I was wrong, so by Monday 12pm...

A

Did Presidente overthrow Santana with a communist mindset...

B

Or did he overthrow Santana with a capitalistic mindset?

And yeah, that trait is the only negative trait unused so :frog: I'll use the loser for the map after this next one.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
To Santana According to his need... :unsmigghh:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
B all those spring breakers made El Presidente pine for the days when he was a professor

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I have to wonder with Tropico 6 converting the Nationalists to Conservatives, is El Diablo being replaced too? I can't imagine a literal skinhead leading the Conservative faction would go over well.

Also, uh, this vote is pretty milquetoast to me but I'm going to vote A because I grow weary of seeing fat, foreign tourists trampling on our beloved Tropico :argh:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Space Bat posted:

I have to wonder with Tropico 6 converting the Nationalists to Conservatives, is El Diablo being replaced too? I can't imagine a literal skinhead leading the Conservative faction would go over well.

If the hood fits...

Voting A

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The hood would go to the Liberal terrorists.

Vote A

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
B, since there's nothing more traditional in the Caribbean than a tin-pot being replaced by an American three-letter agency's new tin-pot of choice,

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sorry guys, I'm gonna lock the thread for a bit. Someone has made an attempt in breaking into my house and its loving with me.

A has won, I'll reopen the thread with an update when I feel better.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Best Served Cold

Time to finally return to Puerto Gato, we took out Preston on the map where he teaches us about imports, we take out Santana on the map where he teaches us the basics.

For his return home Presidente will go back to his default outfit.

Leftist Author gives +10 respect with the Communists, +15 respect with the Intellectuals and +20% faster education and skill training.

Great Schmoozola gives a +10 respect with the least intelligent citizens but a -10 respect with the USSR and US. Each rank increases the respect with the least intelligent.

Hypochondriac gives a +10 service quality to clinics and hospitals, and your first hospital is free. This has the downside of making your citizens need to visit the doctor twice as much! Each rank gives a bigger boost to the service quality of clinics and hospitals.

Propaganda Specialist improves the effects of radio and tv stations by 20%. Each rank gives a further bonus. I wonder if this effects the learning mode on the tv station?

Welcome back to Puerto Gato. Hey, pretty nice place Santana already set up.

(This is the area where we started on the first mission)

Man, I know how Santana managed to get so much support despite being an A-hole. This brainwashing technique is something else, every house has a picture of Santana and a special cloth that they're required to use to clean the picture? Ingenious!

Now while we basically have a set up city, we do still have some unemployed people and we'll get more migrants so time to set up some resources. I start with an iron mine and a sugar plantation.

Ah, so that is why there was no industry set up here for us. What a jackass, "I need to skip town, DESTROY ALL THE FACTORIES!"

I bet Sunny is happy that this happened.

We'll have to hold off on this for a bit, it'll run 10k (cost + blueprint) which is half the starting funds. Sucks that Santana had the default amount of funds sitting in the treasury when we took over :v:

As an aside, I am extremely OCD and I hate how he has farms in the middle of town.

What is nice though, since Santana left us an "Art" "Museum", we already have citizen who can be a minister of foreign affairs. Saves ~3k on getting the USSR foreign aid.

Hm... busting the political prisoners can release some real prisoners... Tough choice....

Wait, what prisoners :confused:

Aaaaand here it is, the downside to the Hypochondriac trait. When citizens need to see the church more often they just get mad, when citizens need to visit the doctor more often and don't get it satisfied.... Yeah.

As an aside, we have a trait that halves food and health needs, doubles health and religion needs, but nothing that reduces religion need. Please, give me an atheist trait! Make it reduce respect with everyone cause Presidente goes around saying "HEH, religion" and it annoys people.

Well thats great. At this point Santana makes some random rebels spawn, like in the mission where we had to deal with Marco. It actually causes some problems later on...

Got the power up and going, next mission is to get some journalists on the island. Whats weird is that Pineapple here has an extra line that isn't in the dialogue box. This line makes it sound like she is also loving Santana. Faaaantastic....

What is nice though is that the city is located on the elevation that gets a full 40 mw on a wind turbine. This gives power to both the already built hospital and casino.

I most certainly did NOT force hypochondriac on this mission because we start with a hospital!

And hey, at this point lets embrace the communist ideals!

Comrade Vasquez: Comrades, Communism is upon us! Progress is coming at last. Today free houses, tomorrow free everything! Our path is clear and our goals are pure. Workers unite!

But Vasquez all Tropicans get free food and healthcare already, what more do you want :saddowns:

As an aside, I completely forgot about the "Art" "Museum" and how its default mode triples the upkeep. I swapped it to show Tropican art to cut down on expenses.

Also I got around to breaking down the prison and where did these guys come from?! There was no one in the prison!

Finally getting some industry set up with a weapons factory. I COULD have just thrown down industry at the start since we already had the basics set, but it would use up all our cash and we didn't have much educated citizens anyways. I think Santana is lying when he says he destroyed all the factories, he just plain didn't build any cause he barely had any high schoolers on the island.

And like clockwork a tsunami hits the island, destroying all the garages ( :byodood: ) and the iron mine right next to the factory. Urg.

Something funny that I learned, you can make the elderly continue to work as a minister! This is a Communist utopia my good sir, everyone works! Be happy I pay you a wage! Huh, now that I think about it its kinda funny that Tropicans want the communist ideals of not paying for healthcare, housing, etc but still want a wage. Where are you gonna spend that money, hmm?

The hire an economics minister. Thankfully Santana had a childhood museum set up so we had a citizen with shopkeeper skill to take the job.

I learned about another set of farms. So this is now 2 farms on the north side of town and 2 on the south side. It makes me scream.

So here is the other plot thread through this mission, destroying landmarks of Santana's regime. It is kinda funny though, this childhood museum is Santana's, yet visitors will still gain respect for us :v:

However destroying these landmarks will reduce the resistance by 5, and turns them into 5 rebels. At this point I'm lagging in the military department.

Yeah yeah, I get it. I'm on it. Normally I skip armories but then again, normally I don't build up the military if the mission doesn't call for it.

At last my OCD has been cleared, a nice set of farms on the lower part of the island and all the farms we had back in the city have been blown up. The farms here are 2 corn, 1 papaya and 1 pineapple.

PS: Tropican citizens, you lose your right to bitch about the lack of religious services when you jackasses wont take jobs as priests! I've got a high school, some of you can get educations and take care of this need that plagues me on every map :argh:

Oooh, so Santana DID have more then 20k in the vaults. And look at that payout, 30k swiss? Also I'm sure it will piss off Santana if we find it!

Santana decides to attack, we are roughly evenly matched. Whats weird is the rebels are apparently hiding out just outside town, around the corner from the police station. Hmm....

Oh you cheatin rear end rebels. Glitching through the rocks!

Stop cheating!

Welp, so much for building up the army...

And here is Presidente, laying in the corn fields... again. Whats with attacks and corn fields in this game?

He kills one! Another rebel comes up...

And Presidente not only kills him, but the guy behind him as well! Can Presidente manage to take out he remaining 2 rebels?

:sigh:

Here comes our final soldier, coming up from behind...

And he manages to chase off the remaining 2 rebels!

Hmmm... You know, I think there is a connection between this and the fact no one works at the church!

Religion, HEH! Oh, there was no money. I can rebuild the church closer to the city center instead of all the way out here.

Hmm... There is a building out here that hold the stash. Hmm...

Clearly its the teamster office! Oh, no that wasn't it either...

Oh well, now I got a teamster's office down where the resources are!

Hey Santana, guess who is your friend's new friend :smug:

PS gently caress your childhood.

At this point I'm FINALLY building media buildings to get the journalists. Whats jacked up is that right after this message a scripted rebel attack happens against your media building... For me this happened RIGHT after fighting off a rebel attack.

Put up a radio station in the middle of some apartments. Oh yeah, I've been building apartments for everyone. No tenements.

General Hernandez is just happy to be here :)

Wait what the gently caress is this?! The Tropican army is... Actually ACTING AS A UNIT?!

Wwwtttfffff

Now THIS is the Tropican recruitment poster :whatup:

As an aside, while clearing out all resource buildings I noticed this. Santana man, what the hell? You don't build a mine directly on top of the ore! Your miners can't mine under the building!

Also hey, our hypochondriac trait still has its free hospital active, so thats 2 free hospitals this map!

Heeey, you know the Eternal Flame is right outside the palace! Surely the money is hidden under that, right?

Well drat, still no! Now to rebuild it grumble grumble

Have a shot of the city! I keep forgetting to do these more often to show the city evolving. Cut me some slack this time, we started with the city prebuilt!

Oh god, not this. First they scream about free speech, then they start making videos online talking about how racism doesn't exist and "ironically" owning swastika flags.

My other joke was ethics in journalism. I don't know which one is worse.

An edict I pretty much never use myself, we can manually call for elections. Supposedly you would want to pop it while public opinion of you is still high, but public opinion doesn't really swing that much to matter. If you got enough votes now you would most likely have enough votes when elections normally happen.

:lol:

By the way, besides the radio station, I built a tv station in the city center and a newspaper down here in the resource area since it doesn't have an AOE effect. With the "Art" "Museum", which also hires journalists, we got all 8.

Pay money? Eff that!

pppfpfffftttaahahahahaha. The funniest thing? The numbers against me were actually higher, by like double. I'm sure there was about 20 votes against me, but by the time I hit the screenshot key it shot down to 7 against me.

Hey, 30k in my swiss account? THIS must be where Santana hid the stash! I mean it is right next to the Palace!

Oh boy. So at this point I'm going to say it took me AGES to finally do this, because with free housing and entertainment... There is a LOT of expenses going on in Tropico. I'm talking like I can throw one up between freight pickups and not have my bank dip 10k in the red before the next freighter shows up.

Oh I forgot to take out the farms on the north side of town. Don't worry, that is going to be where I slap down the condos.

Hey now, let me get my quill and ink well. Presidente is nothing if not cool and hip! I really wish there was a hippie outfit for Presidente

Alright time to take down the tenements that Santana built and put in some apartments. Just gotta rework the roads and hm... that ranch is in the way. The beef was good for my dude Sallim but its time to blow it up.

Oooh, that is where the money was hiding! (Can someone confirm that there was a third hint about the stash? I waited for it to pop but it never showed up...)

Penultimo: And now a curious case - a Swiss bank exploded today. Experts say that the main vault was stuffed to its bursting point with money. Rumors say that the money belongs to a certain dictator. I wonder who that lucky man is...

Penultimo, icksay on the moneyaye. The people will be pissed if they knew I was saving money, especially in this Communist island!

Oh god all the cows are loving DEAD! Quick, to the butcher!

You know how I said I was having money issues? Yeah, building a nuclear power plant wasn't that great of an idea in hindsight. But I needed a bunch of power for the condos!

Yes, TWO camels! That is the joy of a camel, but double! Also I'm sure this is an oversight, but its possible to get blueprints for taking on quests from other nations even if you already have the blueprint unlocked.

And the penultimate mission for getting rid of the Resistance. Also Lopez I don't know if Vasquez told you but we're a bunch of Commies, we don't have a crop of society. Don't look so glum, it'll be hilarious seeing people rush for the mansions when they finished building and try to claim a spot!

Sadly no room in the Palace for these camels. Santana may have put all his crappy pictures in the art museum, but he kept a bunch of stupid statues and emblem themed keys in the Palace. Took forever to find the proper key for the bathroom...

Hey a mission from El Diablo that isn't shooting random foreigners, or bitching that we have foreigners on the island!

Meet the uh... Does "posh" exist in a Communist society? All I know about Communism is from high school, and it was mostly that doctors and farmers got the same pay and you had to share your wives.

SO IT IS YOU WHO WAS CONCERNED CITIZEN!

Or not, Concerned Citizen could light more on fire :colbert:

Also good job torching a building right behind the fire department.

OK I lied I left the farms there and I don't know why, I am currently screaming internally. Also here are the condos.

But Marco there are like 2 rebels in the forest still why do you need 25 men. Our men were actually acting like a cohesive unit this time, you don't need to saturate to make up for the fact they act like they play COD or Battlefield and gently caress off to random parts of the map wanting to get a sick kdr.

Oh dear. As an aside if we had 25 troops when Marco calls for them this mission is skipped.

Of course our man is hanging around the busy part of town. I uh... don't have a secret police so the only option is to shoot him in broad daylight. I wonder why arresting him wont work. Now that I think of it, maybe I could have arrested him then use the off to Florida edict.

Point is he went back to base where one of the soldiers on duty promptly turned around and shot his rear end. Also someone became a rebel for it. Did I mention how difficult it is to be a cruel tyrant in this game?

Now for you to give me 1 of each specialists and join my cre... No wait, wrong game. Was thinking of Pirates! Why hasn't there been a good pirate game recently?

So we have 4 people left, and you know what? This whole time we've been showing how we are better then Santana with the elections and condos, so we are just gonna give these remaining people some money to like us. Just like in real life!

Our farms, had an army base nearby cause the rebels liked attacking the farms down here.

Industry, a rum distillery to use the plantation's sugar, cement factory and chemical factory was added.

South Tropico, citizens living in free apartment housing.

North Tropico, lucky citizens who managed to live in free mansions and condos. I'm annoyed that free housing doesn't give a bonus to housing service.

Victory! Next mission, we give the Hoof!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sorry about the lockdown, you know how it is. You see that someone has attempted taking a hammer to a doorknob and deadbolt leading into your garage, you gotta install cameras in the house and you feel like you live in a prison and investigating every noise you hear... Fun stuff.

So hey, I know I said I was going to use whatever build lost in this next map but how about I nix that. There are 2 ways this next mission can be played. We will be given orders, just like the mission where Santana makes demands. Do we either:

A Be a good Presidente and obey (easier option)

or

B Refuse to obey (significantly harder option)

Voting will end on Sunday afternoon!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
We're a tyrannical dictator! We give orders, we do not take them! (B)

Malah
May 18, 2015

Tell em to get bent.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hope things get better. I have no idea how you are supposed to know it's the ranch, and I can't remember if you get the stash if you demolish it right away before the quest begins.

Presidente does not Bend in the storm! Presidente stands tall and proud against the elements!

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Hoof? Eff you, B...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I don't recall any hint saying it was the Ranch. I only got the two hints.

also, Presidente is the Best

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Looks like we'll be saying vete a la mierda, no haré lo que me dices. Does that actually mean "gently caress you I wont do what you tell me" because I just went off google translate. Its witty cause its from a song that exists.

Also you're all monsters.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
B

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Operation Endgame

Finally, we will give the hoof to Van Hoof!

Presidente has no need to hide, he shall come out and earn a glorious victory in the circled square against his nemesis, the Hoofs. If its a last name is it still Hoofs or will it be Hooves?

Developer gives a +20 respect with the Capitalist and reduces building costs by 20%. However you get -10 respect with the Environmentalists and +50% pollution.

Diplomatic gives you a free foreign office and +2 respect with every foreign power. Each rank gives additional respect. Used to be a drat solid trait when you needed a foreign office to get the development aid edicts.

Well-Travelled gives +10 relations with the 3 minor powers and +2% tourism rating. Each rank further increases the tourism rating.

And thats it for traits, we've used them all! I went with a Fascist rise to power and took Corrupt as the negative trait.

Welcome back to *squints eyes at wiki* Costa Laplata? No this is Santa Teresa, this is also why I thought Puerto Angélico was used once cause they name the map there St. Maria Magnifica.

Welcome to the gimmick for this map, no... edicts..? Wait, does that include

... I... I don't.... huh? No, no USSR aid? I... I don't know how to start. All my games start with using this edict!

The weird rear end skybox here is as dark as my heart, lacking the love of the USSR dev aid.

Just to change it up, I'm building up this hill. There are some good spots for tobacco up here, so I throw down 2 plantations and a garage. I raised the pay for this garage to be 1 peso higher so it would instantly get staffed so there is no risk of our construction workers deciding to promptly gently caress off and slowly walk all the way back to town.

Speaking of vehicles, don't think I ever showed off Presidente's ride. Pretty slick, I hope T6 gives us the option to change Presidente's wheels.

STOP THE PRESSES!

quote:

Be the dictator you want to be: Players can express themselves by customizing their avatar, their palace, election speeches, the Tropican flag and El Presidente's personal means of transportation.

Yessssss

Penultimo, have you been stealing from the treasury recently? I thought we made it clear that only Presidente gets to move Tropican money to his Swiss Bank account?

So meet the other mechanic this map, corruption. The inspectors are all taking a slice of the pie, and it will be a percentage equal to the corruption every December.

We do get different ways to reduce the corruption. This is an easy enough one, we just gotta do that thing we do normally!

am i doin it right?

Whoa what the hell is this?! Something more visually appealing then squares?!

Not a bad way to reduce the corruption some more. Get a few papaya farms, hell I want to move the 2 default corn farms so I'll place another 2 corn farms elsewhere then destroy the original 2.

Now if you wanted to powergame you can abuse the poo poo out of something: Just slap down a bunch of blueprints to bring yourself to as close to 0 as possible. Once the corruption hit happens you simply cancel all the blueprints and get all your money back. I'm not being so cheap, I'm just not as hesitant to spend to near 0 for this mission.

Thankfully we can still use the "normal" edicts, that is the ones that don't require ministers. Note that we CAN hire different ministers, but we wont be able to use their edicts. So for now I have no ministry built. Token foreign aid camp a go go.

Welp, we held it to a vote. Imagine a middle finger rising, forever. This is going to hurt, as the corruption levels will start to rise denying all the orders.

Huh, thats kinda weird. I don't know if this happens on other missions when you refuse to go through with something that lowers the prices of exports.

Wait what? You're not serious right? I mean who seriously uses the prohibition ed

Why is the rum always gone?!

drat, if only the internet existed! We could have just hired some teenagers to troll various web forums!

Well... you know 20k is a lo- Wait I know where this is going. You are going to give me this money just so your lackies can steal 50% of it in December!

drat, I always knew you were a witch Van Hoof, summoning criminals out in the wildnerness! Sadly they're too close to one another for me to send in the military, I don't want rebels on top of everything.

Well, I COULD do what he wants me to do, or I can say gently caress him and make 30k for it!

Oh god dammit, thats how they get ya!

As if things couldn't get worse :shepface:

And it WOULD touch down right where my economic powerhouse buildings are located. Whoever programmed this spiteful tornado AI is an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah yeah, destroy the garage, as always.

As an aside, where did you even pick up this firetruck? We don't even have a firehouse!

Well, on the one hand it didn't destroy any of the plantations. On the other its heading straight for my population center.

So see everything here that is currently being built? I just used quick build on everything, I mean besides my construction workers slacking...

Urg. It could have been a lot worse.

Oh come on, they work at the palace which was nowhere near that tornado. What do they have to complain about?

Here is how the ring is working out. Basically the northern outer ring will be farms, the southern outer ring will be houses and the inner ring will be our religion, medical and entertainment buildings.

Yeah yeah, Rodriguez. I'll get around to giving out those bribes in 20 years when I finally build the first Tropico bank.

For now we celebrate National day!

As an aside, I forgot how bad this map was for wind power. The highest elevation only gets a measly 24mw of power. I mean for now its cheaper then a power plant since we can't use the US foreign aid, but egh.

City is coming along nicely, I rushed for a police station and prison for those criminals that Hoof magicked upon us. If nothing else it gets us 10 free citizens, after they are reeducated!

As soon as we get that wind turbine up!

... In a few years. Now that the economic minister is out we can enact the special building permit. Hey, if these guys are gonna be stealing from the vault we can too!

Oh poo poo, they were serious?

Penultimo: Traitors in the army are conspiring to overthrow El Presidente, but we all know they will be beaten by his loyal supporters!

Sunny Flowers: What will you do if they attack US, Penultimo!?

Penultimo: I will fight like a lion to defend freedom of speech, as regulated by El Presidente! Viva El Presidente, Viva Tropico!

So... something is a bit off with the thought bubbles here. This is the single guy who plans to overthrow the government. His thought bubble is "No one can harm El Presidente while I'm around!"

This is someone who is defending the regime, and his thought bubble is "El Presidente lacks discipline, that is why the military must assume leadership!" The other guard also says something equally treasonous. Its happened before so I think its a legit bug.

Oh drat, in the middle of a coup and NO ONE EXPECTS THE TROPICAN INQUISITION :DDDD

Alright buddy, you got the drop on him, lift your rifle and squeeze the trigger as soon as he turns the corner...

uuuuggggghhhhhh

Thankfully Mr Chavez here took care of the traitor.

You are now Sergeant in name as I will never build anything that hires generals. I'll be sure to pay you a bribe whenever I get a bank going.

Its sad we can't give medals to the palace guard, just the guard stations and army bases.

Now here is the inquisition edict, though I can't open it up and see what Penultimo has to say about it. For 500 the Inquisition will drop the rate of protests, people becoming rebels or coups (a bit late for that!), in exchange for dropping production, tourism, liberty and making citizens double the rate of visiting the church! Yeah I'm sure this mission is just "Hey we know these edicts suck, here is a mission that forces them on you"

Next minister on our hit list is the interior minister. Since I already have a station and prison up we already got a good amount of policemen, just gotta get another station up to get the number required.

Sunny, please stop making friends with the gaijin. They steal our money and force us to use awful edicts! But fine, I'll build a weather station.

Oh sorry guys, guess you couldn't grab the money that was still waiting in port :smug:

Hm, if the army is under the UN Defense inspector, and we never had a coup before, but had a coup now... Connection? PS Go gently caress yourself (corruption is nearing 60% at this point)

There is your stupid weather station Sunny. If that tornado actually hits I'll make Penultimo eat my hat.

Penultimo: And now a curious case - a papaya fruit escaped from the horticulture station and ran amok in the city. It is currently being charged with 3 attempted homicides, conspiracy against the state and an alleged case of sexual harassment.

Oh god the papayas are haunting me in game, its going to break into the palace and stink it up!

Hm... now this is something we can do. I mean it isn't explicitly an order, and our citizens can use the entertainment. And dropping the corruption rate by 10 will be very nice...

Speaking of, sorry guys, reinvesting into the community you know :)

Where the town was originally built on our first go on this map is going to be the administration area of the island. I uh... I completely forget I have a free foreign office and never build one!

Sunny you aren't taking lessons from Pineapple and consorting with random guys, are you?

Also I'm PRETTY sure some people are dying here. Also hey Penultimo, how fast can you scarf down a 2 foot sombrero?

Got a weapons factory up and running, right next to the iron mine. Also note the destroyed buildings in the back, saved lives!

And I know exactly where the cosmic pin will go! Gotta readjust the inner ring for it.

And finally getting our second police station up, over by the docks since those generate crime.

Oh don't worry about the children Pineapple, elementary schools are banned in Tropico cause of how useless they are.

Antonio Lopez: Don't know how to properly worship your supreme leader? Well, worry no more! Sign up for the obligatory polit education courses for only 29.95 a month and you will know exactly why Presidente is the best and how to treat him accordingly. Call in the next five minutes and you wont be visited by men in dark suits!

We had to hire some agents from the Men In Black to make residents forget about civil liberties.

Oh pfft, this is gonna be easy.

Eer, hm... Should have seen that coming.

But hey, here is an option to get us halfway there!

I plop the academy near the farms and ranches so clone Presidente will buff those buildings.

So uh... I'm having some real economy troubles here, though it may be because I'm spending more instead of saving so times between the boats arriving puts me in the red constantly.

Sunny Flowers: Tropico is currently short on cash. What is your take on the situation, Penultimo?

Penultimo: I blame my next door neighbor. I know you are not paying your taxes, you old crone!

SALLIM MY DUDE!

Hey, an option where declining doesn't increase the corruption rate!

So Book BBQ, for 500 bucks we can cause 50% of the Intellectuals to drop out and makes it less likely for more citizens to become Intellectuals. However it doubles the length it takes for citizens to graduate. I guess you can find it useful if you don't want Intellectuals.

Just kinda sucks when we only have 1 graduate so far!

Finally building up the apartment section.

Penultimo: I want to know what those BEAST are doing in our country? The spitting, vile fiends! One of them bit me on my way here.

Sunny Flowers: Oh, you mean those cute, cuddly camels. I think a foreign dignitary sends them as a token of the good relations between our country.

As an aside, I don't think Salim gets any time on the radio. Chuffney gets a line if you have good relations, with Penultimo and Sunny having one for bad relations, and Yu Li has lines for both good and bad relations. But Sallim gets no radio time afaik.

Oh thank god

Now stop crying about the lack of housing!

drat you Hoof and your criminal summoning witchcraft! I can't fit 12 criminals into one prison!

I

. . . . . . . .

. . . . . . Anyways Martial law decreases crime and cancels all elections. The downside is the loss of liberty, tourism and production.

How about we don't, I'm onto your game. Last coup failed, so you get a military base, better equip the soldiers and try again! Besides, it'll only be increasing the wages of 4 whole people, the palace guards.

And what better way to cement loyalty then to make them the highest paid people on the island?

Alright, time to deal with that "Prisons only hold 8 people" problem.

Considering I still cannot use foreign aid edicts I don't care about pissing off the US or USSR. Though uh...

May want to be careful with America, especially after sending my criminals their way :buddy:

So... we are having a rather huge money problem. I basically can't buy anything when our boats show up without ending up deep in the red. I'm sure this is because of how far away our resources are from the docks. Should have not only built a dock closer, but also some extra teamsters.

Finally, get lo- Wait a minute there was no UN Foreign Affairs Inspector! Why weren't we allowed to use those?! Is Hoof supposed to be that?

Thankfully... our money problems are no more as I had 60% when this popped. That said...

General dock and bunkhouses, with a police station.

The administration district. Got the bank built but I forgot to pay that one dude. Oh well.

Had a cigar factory built by the tobacco plantations

Our city, didn't quite finish the inner ring as it required destroying the school.

Victory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sorry for not getting the vote up yesterday, I literally threw up the post and went to bed (the downside of working early morning shifts)

Next mission we may need a big swiss bank account. Here are three options:

A

This El Presidente is a college kid who decided that Socialism is the way to go, as they generally do. Bit of a gambling habit, but that can generate some swiss funds....

B

This Presidente is a man of the cloth. He is so righteous, most would say he is full of himself. But he does get double the building permit funds.

C

This Presidente is the son of the previous Presidente who, despite living the easy life everyone just loves. Even after he steals a bunch of stuff every year

Votes will end on Thursday, 12pm.

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 10, 2018