Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Also good piece about our flourishing white supremacist ideals 'n motives

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/16/peter-duttons-offer-to-white-south-african-farmers-started-on-the-far-right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah im not going to pretend like qld greens poo poo doesn't stink (lol i totally am tho) but this was a pretty serious own goal and hopefully the lessons will be learned

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It'll probably take a while to unpack all of what happened in the Batman by-election, but from where I'm looking at it, the main reason the Greens lost is the same reason the loss doesn't hurt as much: Ged Kearney seems like a pretty solid candidate and future member.

Time will tell on if they're actually going to improve, but it seems like the left-leaning parts of inner Melbourne have been kind of neglected as a safe region by Labor for a drat long time; a heartland that will vote for them no matter what, so it doesn't matter who they put there (as an aside, I'd say this is another factor in why the inner-city Greens haven't seized Sydney in the same way they have Melbourne, because Sydney's where a lot both major parties' active frontbenchers are). Feeney's a prime example on that, being parachuted in, not tremendously competent or well-liked, and not really resonating with the community. In Northcote we saw Labor both succeeding and failing at this in succession; Fiona Richardson was an immensely popular local member who understood and resonated with her constituency. But after her death, Labor on the whole being out-of-touch with that area bled through with Clare Burns; a bad choice of a candidate, who herself kept making bad choices, running on a platform that didn't ring true at all. And they went up against Lidia Thorpe, a drat solid candidate for the area.

Then come Batman post-Feeney, we have Ged Kearney. At least on paper, Labor are suddenly fielding a candidate in inner Melbourne that actually fits the electorate. They've gone from an unpopular candidate to one that fits drat loving well and that turns Batman from a gradual guarantee for the Greens to an uphill battle.

I don't think this will necessarily be true in the next federal election; time will tell if Kearney manages to be a good parliamentarian on top of a good candidate, and that margin between Labor and the Greens are still so small that slipping up on catering to the electorate brings the sharks circling. But it might spell trouble for the Victorian Greens a few elections down the road, when Labor (and possibly the Liberals, there's some close ones there too) have the opportunity to turf some of the seat-filler candidates that the Greens can campaign well against. I'd say Melbourne Ports is the prime opportunity for Labor to show they can learn from that experience, but they'd have to pry that position from Michael Danby's cold dead hands, which seems unlikely.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 17, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Jesus Christ

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I could have made a lot of money tonight betting on election results and I'm annoyed at myself that I didn't. I blame banning gambling advertising.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Cleretic posted:

Fiona Richardson was an immensely popular local member who understood and resonated with her constituency. But after her death, Labor on the whole being out-of-touch with that area bled through with Clare Burns; a bad choice of a candidate, who herself kept making bad choices, running on a platform that didn't ring true at all. And they went up against Lidia Thorpe, a drat solid candidate for the area.

I reckon Burns would have been a good member, they just got done by demographics there. I do agree that Kearney’s a good candidate though, she resonates with lefty boomers. Bhatal’s campaign was a train wreck though, she was getting heavily leaked against by her own party the whole way through. Labor will take a lot of confidence in their campaigning from this.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Post-game Auspol thread is twisted in mind and heart and purpose and function and apologism in ways previously only thought of in a hypothetical kind of worthless bastard

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If anybody voted for the Libs since "it's time for a change" you're obviously in a privileged position where you won't be effected by cuts to services, infrastructure and public health. It's time for a change in your breathing capacity by walking into the sea.

Seriously I saw this on signs around the place and thought "Haha they're platforming on change for the sake of it, we'll stay Labor no worries"

... then I realised I'd forgot that people are swing voting morons and that "change for the sake of it" actually seems like a reasonable concept to a lot of people.

:bang:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's not even a swing voter. It's just a dumb poo poo that isn't policy based and says "hmmmm sixteen years" and concludes changing a democratic government doing its job for that period of time is good.

It's not good dudes.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Yeah, I didn't make it very clear that I was distinguishing between two separate moronic entities there. Swing voters aka subhumans AND "change is good because reasons" people.

It's honestly concerning that a government can perform well for an extended period of time and then you still get voted out anyway simply because change for the sake of change is a compelling argument to people. I mean, you'd maybe at least get some level of appreciation if the alternative was in any way appealing and not somehow looking like the guy who really, really thinks that 2001 Commodore in the two-tone across the lot is calling your name (when Xenophon isn't working that day).

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/974967088610594816

Libs 22% Nats 10% Greens 40%

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
"sixteen years" was one of my biggest fears for this election. imo labor should have run an ad like this and rocketed to victory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qABA0X6IzxU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

Post-game Auspol thread is twisted in mind and heart and purpose and function and apologism in ways previously only thought of in a hypothetical kind of worthless bastard

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
SA is about to experience the “Newman Years”

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Recoome posted:

SA is going to get a massive cool as gently caress state government tower?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
You've flown too close to the sun

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/InsidersABC/status/975146360805588994

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Newman tower, Newman tower
Campbell coins at the top
Watch your primary vote drop

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
wait i thought anidav was joking about campbell coins what the gently caress

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
wait what is this poo poo, they built a tower and sold special coins at the top or somethin?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"If I had a coin for every dollar that was wasted by the arrogant Newman Government, I'd be sitting in Kings Landing as the Master of Coins," Mr Pitt said.
"Right there beside Joffrey Baratheon, the Member for Kawana.
"A self-indulgent Game of Thrones was played out over the last three years, at the expense of everyday Queenslanders.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Night Shade posted:

wait i thought anidav was joking about campbell coins what the gently caress

They’re for the secession.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Visidan posted:

wait what is this poo poo, they built a tower and sold special coins at the top or somethin?

Yes but you had to defeat Campbell Newman in a duel.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mr Pitt managed to find one behind fellow MP Stirling Hinchliffe's ear, as he spent his way through a private members statement at the former government's expense.
"It is not often that a state government in Australia discusses the printing of currency as an economic strategy," he said on Tuesday.
"We know the hyper-inflationary potential when a government ramps up the production of its own currency.
"We saw it in Germany in the 1920s and Zimbabwe in the 2000s. But thankfully, these matters are not a concern with the currency I am talking about today.
"Because this particular currency has essentially no value. You would struggle to find any market willing to trade in it.
"I am talking, of course, about Campbell Currency."

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

High Overseer Campbell and his coins made of gold.

Holy is he, holy is he.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Newman tower

Campbell Newman's most famous erection.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Every day I pray to my Campbell shrine, go outside ringing a bell asking for donations in exchange for good fortune. Only Campbell Coins will do.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Mr Pitt managed to find one behind fellow MP Stirling Hinchliffe's ear, as he spent his way through a private members statement at the former government's expense.
"It is not often that a state government in Australia discusses the printing of currency as an economic strategy," he said on Tuesday.
"We know the hyper-inflationary potential when a government ramps up the production of its own currency.
"We saw it in Germany in the 1920s and Zimbabwe in the 2000s. But thankfully, these matters are not a concern with the currency I am talking about today.
"Because this particular currency has essentially no value. You would struggle to find any market willing to trade in it.
"I am talking, of course, about Campbell Currency."

IDIOT that’s when you buy the dip :zaurg:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

South Australia Best? More like South Australia Bad. Badelaide.

I will allow left wing refugees from SA to my home, to live in the utopia that is the best state in this shithole of a nation, Victoria. You will be even legally allowed to kill yourself here soon, perfectly in tune with the Auspol mantra.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Tokamak posted:

The Greens were always bad

posted wearing an "ASK ME ABOUT THORIUM" tshirt

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Recoome posted:

general question, did Marshall have any actual policies beyond "right turn from king william st onto north tce"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Joe Hildebrand with an EPiC TAkeDoWN of the most important strawman ever seen

http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/immigration-debate-is-just-leftwing-racism/news-story/ee5a958fe3447e9cc247f59fdae8d344

These are the forgotten people who the mainstream parties left behind as they became more and more dominated by a professional political class and promptly disappeared up their own overprivileged arses.

They are often decent in their personal lives — sacked factory workers trying to hold on to their homes and little old ladies who go to church every Sunday — but get angry when cast as bigots by inner-city elites if they question things like cheap immigrant labour or Islamic fundamentalism.

And yet now the inner-city elites are tapping into the same base tribal instincts. The only difference is that they dress it up in bigger words.

When the right calls for cuts to immigration it’s called “racism” but when the left does it it’s called “urban sustainability”. In fact they’re both saying the exact same thing: “F*** off, we’re full.”

And so when the quintessential progressive media double act of Fairfax and the ABC this week put cutting immigration square on the national agenda, the far right could not believe its luck. Suddenly it looked like God was white after all.

So you see both sides are the same and the answer is somewhere in the middle*

*my extreme left seems to be located centre right

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I too can't distinguish between prejudice based and evidence based policy.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jonah Galtberg posted:

posted wearing an "ASK ME ABOUT THORIUM" tshirt

Give me a bullet train, or give me death.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mr Chips posted:

general question, did Marshall have any actual policies beyond "right turn from king william st onto north tce"

Increase penalties for marijuana possession and let Coles open later.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

Joe Hildebrand with an EPiC TAkeDoWN of the most important strawman ever seen

that’s the dumbest, least comprehensible thing I’ve read since catherine mcgregor’s last column

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Birdstrike posted:

that’s the dumbest, least comprehensible thing I’ve read since catherine mcgregor’s last column

The massive volatility we have seen in the established global order recently has been driven primarily by an unlikely union between religious and cultural ultraconservatives — such as the Tea Party movement in the United States and the UK Independence Party (UKIP) — and radical leftist movements that would rather disrupt or dismantle the entire framework of government than support a moderate leader.

A perfect example is the ultra-leftist, ultra-anti-American Julian Assange supporting the ultra-rightist, ultra-pro-America Donald Trump or hardcore Bernie Sanders supporters voting for Trump or nobody rather than elect Hillary Clinton. Likewise in the UK, Jeremy Corbyn ran dead on Brexit so as not to offend his anti-establishment base.

The Alliance!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

The massive volatility we have seen in the established global order recently has been driven primarily by an unlikely union between religious and cultural ultraconservatives — such as the Tea Party movement in the United States and the UK Independence Party (UKIP) — and radical leftist movements that would rather disrupt or dismantle the entire framework of government than support a moderate leader.

A perfect example is the ultra-leftist, ultra-anti-American Julian Assange supporting the ultra-rightist, ultra-pro-America Donald Trump or hardcore Bernie Sanders supporters voting for Trump or nobody rather than elect Hillary Clinton. Likewise in the UK, Jeremy Corbyn ran dead on Brexit so as not to offend his anti-establishment base.

The Alliance!

Just imagine being this wrong about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

Increase penalties for marijuana possession and let Coles open later.

Labour polices that were slightly worse basically and the typical bullshit 1 liners with no substance. 2 sides of the same as always.

• Locked thread