Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Gods I would have loved a more in depth survival-esque RPG thing about maintaining a balanced diet and not overextending

Has there ever been a survival game where rabbit starvation or scurvy is a thing? I mean, usually those would take longer than most survival games last, but people don't eat 4 entire goats a day, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

The only one I can think of is Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, a roguelike zombie game with an almost absurd but adjustable level of complexity. Having to measure nutrition is a possible option, but that game is hard enough as it is. It basically boils down to "Either vary your diet or take a supplement while eating your usual garbage"

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
it taste like mustard

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

zeroskippy posted:

This gets way cheaper once your get your base dev team up to reduce repair costs.

Haha yeah right, as if anyone can find a survivor who doesn't perform very poorly regardless of their job history and placement. :smith:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

poptart_fairy posted:

Haha yeah right, as if anyone can find a survivor who doesn't perform very poorly regardless of their job history and placement. :smith:

Every survivor has at least two places where they perform not very well, which is one better than poorly.

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016

poptart_fairy posted:

The survivors in africa seem to be way better than the afgan ones for me, I farmed my team up to c rank in about three hours. Add the skill manuals from base dig 1 and you'll be there really quickly. Plus until you get a ton of resources invested into it your blue bow at +5 is going to smoke your purple if you've got decent perks and a chest with ammo conservation.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I'm getting frustrated and it makes me sad because it is about little poo poo.

I got 4 side missions in-a-row that were rare animals. I got excited because I've never hunted any of the rares yet and I wanted to start adding them to my base.

2 of the missions were for Anubis but I don't have any storage for canids. Another was a bird. The last was a Himalayan bear!

I was excited because I had a bear cage ready and that bear drops valuable mats. Then I accidentally killed him with triple shot instead of capturing him :smith:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

titties posted:

I was excited because I had a bear cage ready and that bear drops valuable mats. Then I accidentally killed him with triple shot instead of capturing him :smith:

I know you can almost kill them and still capture them but why would you even risk it? the sprint punch is good enough. Outside of birds there's no reason to kill most enemies since it's faster and easier to stun and balloon them.
Speaking of ballooning, I really hate that the grabbers, crawlers and those flying things can't by fultoned. They give so little Kuban and take so long to harvest that I just leave their corpses lying around because they aren't worth it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just a tip for future reference, side missions stick around for a while after you trigger them, so if you need to run back to your base you can without failing the quest. It is a bummer to have to waste a trip though.

edit: ^the sprint punch can't take out bears.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, bears can only be knocked out by hurting them. They'll fall over when they get to a set health level.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Hel posted:

I know you can almost kill them and still capture them but why would you even risk it? the sprint punch is good enough. Outside of birds there's no reason to kill most enemies since it's faster and easier to stun and balloon them.

The bear did not seem to notice my mighty punching

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I had 8 points in strength and that does nothing to a bear. It just bounces off him. Don't ever set them on fire either, they take a beating, but that fire doesn't let up.

zeroskippy posted:

The survivors in africa seem to be way better than the afgan ones for me, I farmed my team up to c rank in about three hours. Add the skill manuals from base dig 1 and you'll be there really quickly. Plus until you get a ton of resources invested into it your blue bow at +5 is going to smoke your purple if you've got decent perks and a chest with ammo conservation.
It is easy to C rank departments. B ranks need about five modest yields and your storyline recruit. Try to get 3 B ranks.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

titties posted:

They do notice, they’re just unimpressed by the attempt.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oops, forgot to reassign my base defense guys and lost half my base.

A pile of resources going from "way too loving much" to "too loving much" isn't that bad I guess.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean my guys can construct a full military base with hydroponics gardens for potatoes and magical medical herbs and create futuristic military gear but a reusable water bladder like a camelbak or stainless steel canteen is out of the question

Seal team 10
Mar 2, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The canteen recipe is at transporter 4

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Anime_Otaku posted:

They do notice, they’re just unimpressed by the attempt.

titties posted:

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, bears can only be knocked out by hurting them. They'll fall over when they get to a set health level.

CJacobs posted:

Just a tip for future reference, side missions stick around for a while after you trigger them, so if you need to run back to your base you can without failing the quest. It is a bummer to have to waste a trip though.

edit: ^the sprint punch can't take out bears.

I was going to prove you wrong but it seems that Bears have been stealth patched since they can take a lot more punishment now , the rare ones are still relatively easy to handle though.

At first I thought it was FRAPS causing issues, but seriously they seem to be bugged because they can hurt you w/o an animation in certain situations. But after a few tries(and changing bears) I got a video of me punching a bear until it fell down and I could extract it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nANTx21X7RQ

Edit : VV I think it actually only does any real damage when you hit the head, butt punching takes forever but solid hits in the head works pretty ok.

Hel fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 17, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Huh, I guess the sucker punch actually does a tiny bit of damage so if you do it enough eventually you hit the bear's low health threshold and it falls over. I guess that works.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Airport is such a boring map but by god, wave 3 always has the best and most exciting collapse of your defenses. I love how you're pushed further in as they swarm the building, and tumble over each other to get at the higher floors.

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016

Working on it, I've got one now but it's more something I've been picking away at than actively working towards.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It looks like stamina kills are a thing or you somehow glitched a foot stomp move that took off a lot of health. If you foot stomp a level 60+ zombie right on a container, you might open it.
On a second look, you took down the bear because your had that revenge skill that damages the bear when you took damage. Try it without the skill and One Punch Man that bear.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 17, 2018

night slime
May 14, 2014
I went and recruited a bunch of people (at 31 now) and now my food resources aren't enough. What should I do? I have like ten farms and some okapi and 4 sheep. I watched something that said to assign people to base development but it didn't seem to do anything.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

night slime posted:

I went and recruited a bunch of people (at 31 now) and now my food resources aren't enough. What should I do? I have like ten farms and some okapi and 4 sheep. I watched something that said to assign people to base development but it didn't seem to do anything.

With C rank on every team, I need to have 4 people out on an expedition, all the food farms*, and all the cages producing to keep people happy.

*I don't have the hydroponics farm from dig 6, I guess.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You get the hydro farm from Plan 5.

night slime posted:

You need to have B rank in Food and Base Development and the Hydro Farm to support 30. Did Plan 6 give you another tent?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 18, 2018

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I can go fight the big mouth dude and I have a bunch of people, is that my next progression unlock?

Seal team 10
Mar 2, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Gods, I hate how assigning people around is such a pain. Why the gently caress not just show you how good they are instead of having you randomly shuffle them around? Why are they all so poo poo? Why don't they improve with time?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, the music is really growing on me. I especially love how the Ruins music gets more sinister chanting blended in as the walls start to close in on you.

Missed chance not to use the rift from Rules of Nature at certain moments...

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

You get the hydro farm from Plan 5.

You need to have B rank in Food and Base Development and the Hydro Farm to support 30. Did Plan 6 give you another tent?

Oh really? RIP. Checking my reward history shows I only got 3/4 blue buildings from plan 5.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
AFAIK the loot table is static, the actual rewards aren't.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I didn't get fans until Plan 5. Would have been so much fun with them weeks ago.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Looking into it a little more, Base dig 5 and 6 seem to use nearly the same reward table, but dig 6 gives a whole 10% extra kuban energy in exchange for dealing with elemental walkers. Eh.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, dig 6 is the "smash face against wall" bit. Elemental wanderers are not fun.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Can you only benefit from the skills on purples if you're level 30 Survivor and no other class?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No, that rank just means you need to be level 30 in the survivor class full stop. They'll take effect when you activate them through the customise menu.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't know if they've fixed it yet, I haven't played in a week and a half or so, but there is/was a bug that you didn't even need to actually buy the perks, they were just treated as unlocked regardless.

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016
Yeah there was, it's fixed now though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, next pay day I'm tempted to spend a bit of money on this instead of getting Far Cry. There's something about it which just appeals to me, in a way I can't really explain. It's taken over monster hunter for christ sake. :negative:

night slime
May 14, 2014
What's with the unexplored area that attacks you in Africa and gives you a warning? Is that where the next boss is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

night slime posted:

What's with the unexplored area that attacks you in Africa and gives you a warning? Is that where the next boss is?

Nah. The maps are literally lifted straight out of TPP, so they barred off some passages. In Afghanistan they're just trash heaps blocking other parts of the map. In Africa the dust is extra heavy and lethal. For Africa I am guessing they're planning on drip feeding content some people have disabled the fog on PC and near those areas you can see flying schools of creatures flying around in the distance.

Of course, depends on whether or not the game Survives (pun) long enough for Konami to release whatever those content updates are.

• Locked thread