Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Life imitates art - much like it is in Mario games, getting stars makes you invulnerable to everything but falling down a hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Laranzu posted:

All he did was get involved in one of the biggest scandals in a long time resulting in not being able to do the job he was appointed to do for 5 years while still getting paid.

I guess not being able to touch Intel is its own punishment?

I'd like someone to punish me by paying me six figures not to do my job and then retire and half pay.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
So the Secretary of State just got fired... Countdown until Trump tries to fire Mattis and gets told "No."?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm not sure if there's ever been a decision that would be LESS popular DOD-wide.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Godholio posted:

I'm not sure if there's ever been a decision that would be LESS popular DOD-wide.

We talking hypotheticals?

Mandatory cheese and vegetable MRE's for a month, with the skittles taken away and given to Fat Leonard while you have to come in during the 96 to implement a new pay system that will not pay you for 2 months?

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 14, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Combine them and we're guaranteed a coup.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
been out for 8 months now. Buying a house. Not giving a gently caress. If you're in you should get out. If you've been in for 14 years and figure you can stick it out you should still probably get out. Life is so much better on the outside, you should join us.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

There’s always Reserves!

:chiefsay:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

There’s always Reserves!

:chiefsay:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Ah yes, the reserves. Good idea, give up my weekends and vacation hours so I can shave and do computer based training. I don't know why anyone would ever actually want to do this.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sir Lucius posted:

Ah yes, the reserves. Good idea, give up my weekends and vacation hours so I can shave and do computer based training. I don't know why anyone would ever actually want to do this.

Cheaper insurance than through my job, and also the extra money lets me keep working at a place that I like instead of having to get a higher paying job somewhere I don't want to be.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Also, if you're in an IWC rate, which I can't remember if you're some favor of CT or not, you can actually do real world work that the gaining commands appreciate.

The cheap insurance is nice and is better than either my or my husband's insurance. Plus I might go back as a full-time student again to change careers.

I'll never begrudge anyone getting out. I just couldn't understand the old timers who were shitheads to anyone not doing 20+. Only thing I always told my Sailors or Airmen who worked for me was to have a plan and not just go back to Dead Rustbelt, OH.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The insurance alone with its very low catastrophic cap has already saved my family twice from disaster.

Things may have changed with the latest change but not having my insurance linked to my main job makes job hopping as a contractor much easier.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
God dammit, not again.

Two Aviators Killed After Super Hornet Crash off Key West

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

gently caress

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Stultus Maximus posted:

Cheaper insurance
Literally the only reason I went reserves instead of severing completely. Jury's still out whether it's worth the trade-off of not being able to have a beard or smoke weed while living the GI Bill high life

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Welp back in Japan. Here's to another 3+ years of vomiting on China's doorstep.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Woohoo. Just got out of boot camp and headed to Connecticut. Any subs here that can let me know any important poo poo I should know before I get there?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Get qualled, nub.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Get qualled, nub.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LogicalFallacy posted:

Woohoo. Just got out of boot camp and headed to Connecticut. Any subs here that can let me know any important poo poo I should know before I get there?

WHY ARE YOU loving DINK NUB??? GO GET ME A GOD DAMNED SWEET TEA YOU STUPID DINK NUB CRANK!

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

ded posted:

WHY ARE YOU loving DINK NUB??? GO GET ME A GOD DAMNED SWEET TEA YOU STUPID DINK NUB CRANK!

Shipmate, swearing is not quality leadersh-BAHAHA FUCKIN GODDAMN HOW DO YOU EVEN GO DINK HOW LAZY ARE YOU YOU loving STUPID gently caress HAHAHA

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
There's this thing called a career LaDR, and if you do all the stuff on it for your rate and the grade above you'll probably promote fast and be decent at your job.

PQSs have 100s and 200s that most people will tell you that you don't have to do, but which contain almost all of the questions you should be able to answer and where you're supposed to find the answer with roughly 80% accuracy.

Qualify for maintenance and qualify for a watch as soon as humanly possible so people get out of your grill, then your pin.

I'm surface so this might all be useless, which brings me to the next point: you're going to be told how to do your job twenty different ways by ten different people. Focus on what builds you personally and professionally. Focus on what you get to take with you. Study for your tests and be able to get every question right. Support your chain of command. Be able to justify any action with your COs philosophy and higher doctrine and you're generally untouchable. Practice organisation and learn how to preempt direction so people leave you alone. Don't waste other people's or your own time.

Edit: ask if those PQS prerequisites are really optional or n/a. If they're other PQS, they're probably not, work all of those too.

Edit: initial here if you plan to submit a statement and sign that you've received counseling.

piL fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 17, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Buy lots of stuff from the chiefs fund raisers but pay in all nickels.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Get qualled, nub.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

CMD598 posted:

Welp back in Japan. Here's to another 3+ years of vomiting on China's doorstep.

Sasebo or Yokosuka? If it's Yokosuka, head over to Belgium House Brews if you like beer. Prices are higher, but keeps the Honch crowd out. Jazz night happens once a month.

Enjoy vomiting on China's doorstep! Enjoy all the new training you're supposed to be getting out there! Hopefully you don't have another no drinking month!

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Iwakuni (the lodge is inconveniently far from anything that matters.)

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Well, uh...it'll be quiet? Looking at the map, you're not super close to anything except Hiroshima.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LogicalFallacy posted:

lol Connecticut sucks but you missed the winter. Keep your head down for the next two years until you have your fish. This will probably be the period where you’ll be most depressed and motivated to drink a lot. Resist, if you avoid acquiring a bad whatever habit in the dark months of nubness and cranking you’ll be fine once you’re qualified. It will suck but you’ll come out of the worst of it having finished faster and with hopefully a few tens of thousands banked. Then you can start doing stuff again.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Can't you no consequences bail first 180 days after shipping out? Do that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

Can't you no consequences bail first 180 days after shipping out? Do that.

Yes you can but then you miss out on the wonderful experience that is the US Navy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmGuy0jievs

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Yeah dude loving bail for sure

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

orange juche posted:

Yes you can but then you miss out on the wonderful experience that is the US Navy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmGuy0jievs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mpve4VvJV0

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Doing some global good there!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Doing some global good there!

It is Forged by the Sea now, shipmate :chiefsay:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
My pqs signatures were forged by the sea too.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Nick Soapdish posted:

It is Forged by the Sea now, shipmate :chiefsay:

God drat, they actually changed it

An advertising agency took several millions of dollars from the government to give the idiot teens filtering into Great Lakes something to make fun of

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
if the Navy really wants to improve recruiting they should just bring back prize ships

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cerekk posted:

if the Navy really wants to improve recruiting they should just bring back prize ships

The problem with that is most pirate vessels aren't worth poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cerekk posted:

Getting a share of all the heroin and meth would be pretty sweet.