Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
When i was younger i was pretty sure there were lots of aliens out in the universe, but nowadays I'm not so sure. Even with the size of the universe, the odds of complex life developing is pretty drat slim. Pretty much every science-fiction idea is actually bullshit. There are no parallel timelines or universes, there isnt an infinite amount of universes, there are no wormholes, we will never create artificial intelligence and we will never leave this planet. Warp drives and hyperdrives aint never gonna happen. Space exploration is a waste of time. NASA and all other national space programs should be dismantled. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Radiohead was great up to OK Computer. People that like any of the new stuff are just pretending to appear smart or different. Listening to their music is straight up homework at this point. I'll always give the new stuff a listen but it's more out of duty than anything else.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
So because we can't create science fiction ideas in real life we should just abandon space altogether? That's like saying people shouldn't pursue romantic relationships because the perfect kind in movies doesn't actually exist.

Dismantling NASA won't suddenly improve society by any noticeable amount. They are a nothing agency as far as government stuff goes. You will not see any benefit from NASA no longer existing, but by giving them the meager scraps they get now we can continue to benefit from their existence. The only people who think NASA is a waste of time/money are ignorant, short-sighted fools.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Also deep space exploration is a small fraction of what NASA does. A lot of their job involves science here on earth or in near earth space.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Also deep space exploration is a small fraction of what NASA does. A lot of their job involves science here on earth or in near earth space.

Yeah most people who want NASA gone have no clue what they actually do from day to day. They seem to picture a bunch of sweaty nerds trying to make star wars/trek real which isn't even close to true (well, except maybe the nerd part).

I think people like blue star seem to just want to halt scientific/technological process in favor of dealing with social/economic issues, but it doesn't have to be a binary either/or thing. We can, and do, do both. Going after NASA and stealing their lunch money is like treating someone's headache while they have terminal cancer. Stopping wasteful military spending is where you could cause some real change. We could probably maintain a military as strong as we have now and continue to grow stronger for a fraction of what is actually spent considering the hundreds of billions they dump into things that will never see combat or even work before getting scrapped.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

One of my dad's best friends worked for NASA his whole career. I can't say his job because you'd be able to google him pretty quick with it, but I got to see a bunch of behind the scenes stuff when I was a kid. I got to watch the Columbia take off for one of it's missions in a special friends and family viewing area. I was 2, so don't remember it, but the pictures are pretty awesome.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Radiohead was great up to OK Computer. People that like any of the new stuff are just pretending to appear smart or different. Listening to their music is straight up homework at this point. I'll always give the new stuff a listen but it's more out of duty than anything else.

I won't put on Kid A for pleasurable listening, even though it has some good songs (as evidenced by their live performances) but I think Amnesiac is a great drat album. But yeah — I think I like one track off Hail to the Thief, and I couldn't name a single song beyond that.

I don't necessarily think it's their fault, though; I cannot imagine making The Bends even once, much less making another The Bends.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I really hate Thom Yorke's voice.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

One of my dad's best friends worked for NASA his whole career. I can't say his job because you'd be able to google him pretty quick with it, but I got to see a bunch of behind the scenes stuff when I was a kid. I got to watch the Columbia take off for one of it's missions in a special friends and family viewing area. I was 2, so don't remember it, but the pictures are pretty awesome.

Did you get to visit the moon set from the "moon landing"?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Did you get to visit the moon set from the "moon landing"?

No. Basically just got to see his lab and some computer rooms and stuff. Didn't get to see where they faked the moon landing or touch moon rocks or anything neat. I think my parents still have my "Visitor" badge from it though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

No. Basically just got to see his lab and some computer rooms and stuff. Didn't get to see where they faked the moon landing or touch moon rocks or anything neat. I think my parents still have my "Visitor" badge from it though.

I got to see the robotic arm of the Curiosity rover when it was almost ready to be delivered. Fuckers wouldn't let me touch it though.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

lol what the gently caress

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

In Rainbows is pretty good, and the King of Limbs is fine. I only like like 3 songs from Moon Shaped Pool though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nobody who complains about newspapers etc. being biased actually cares about "bias" like it's a bad thing in and of itself. They only care when news outlets are biased against them. My grandmother, for example. Thinks the BBC etc. are biased in favour of "the PC police" and others. If you ask her what's unbiased, she'd say, "The Daily Mail," which is, of course, a ridiculous comment to make. It is incredibly biased, but it's biased in a way that conforms to her right-wing political views, so she doesn't consider it to be biased. However, it illustrates the point: "bias" is an entirely relative thing to most people and it's true regardless of their stripe.

In any event, unbiased reporting is fundamentally impossible. Journalists are only human and none of us can suspend our bias because we can't separate ourselves from our own experiences which inform our viewpoints.

those drat PC police telling people what to say, they should stop all this "happy holidays" nonsense and go back to saying MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Donkey Kong 3 is a fun little game.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Straight White Shark posted:

those drat PC police telling people what to say, they should stop all this "happy holidays" nonsense and go back to saying MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I'm afraid my dear old grandmother is awful about that. However, the incongruous thing is that she voted to stay in the EU because, even though she thinks it's controlled by the Vatican and thus the source of all evil, her view is that she is in the twilight of her years and won't have to suffer it much longer, so it should be up to my generation to decide what happens after she's gone.

My other grandmother was somewhat less diplomatic and voted adamantly to leave because she hasn't trusted the Germans since 1939.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

My other grandmother was somewhat less diplomatic and voted adamantly to leave because she hasn't trusted the Germans since 1939.

Can you blame her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFrcl6VGrDQ

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Doom was a good movie.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thor: Ragnarok was the best Marvel movie.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Most Marvel movies are good. Not all of them are great, but even the worst of them are pretty watchable and entertaining. They've become rather formulaic but when the formula puts out decent to good movies I can't really complain.

Probably not an unpopular opinion because Marvel is continuing to print money at the box office but an unpopular opinion among movie geeks like myself.

Just because there are a ton of them doesn't automatically make them actual bad movies. People just equate being tired of them with bad.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I enjoy them but that is in large part because I read (or did read) comics. Are they good? Define "good". The longer they go on the more it bothers me how little risks they take, when compared to something like Logan, or Deadpool, or to go a bit further out, Irréversible.

Infinity War seems like it should be cool, and Black Panther and Ragnarok were alright too, so :confuoot:

doverhog has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Mar 18, 2018

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Live Through This is a better album than Nevermind.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Agreed.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Live Through This is a better album than Nevermind.

Most definitely agree.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah most people who want NASA gone have no clue what they actually do from day to day. They seem to picture a bunch of sweaty nerds trying to make star wars/trek real which isn't even close to true (well, except maybe the nerd part).

I think people like blue star seem to just want to halt scientific/technological process in favor of dealing with social/economic issues, but it doesn't have to be a binary either/or thing. We can, and do, do both. Going after NASA and stealing their lunch money is like treating someone's headache while they have terminal cancer. Stopping wasteful military spending is where you could cause some real change. We could probably maintain a military as strong as we have now and continue to grow stronger for a fraction of what is actually spent considering the hundreds of billions they dump into things that will never see combat or even work before getting scrapped.

I dont want to halt scientific or scientific progress, I think progress has halted already. What was the last really big breakthrough in science? Its still pretty much Einstein. A century of theories and we've hit a brick wall. Now people are dreaming up multiverses and weird crap. Its all bullshit. None of that poo poo is real. As for technology, we've picked all the low hanging fruit. Computers have stopped getting better, everything else is pretty much the same as it was 20 years ago. Compare how the world changed from 1900 to 1950, and then from 1950 to now. The former interval saw a LOT more change. And in the second interval, things have pretty much stopped advancing in the past 20 years, except incrementally. So i think things have pretty much stalled out and frankly i dont think any of us are going to see anything really revolutionary for the rest of our lives, whether its new technology or new scientific theories. Stop giving NASA money. Stop making new particle accelerators to "test" silly sci-fi nonsense. Build houses, schools, hospitals, libraries. Way better investment.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blue Star posted:

I dont want to halt scientific or scientific progress, I think progress has halted already. What was the last really big breakthrough in science? Its still pretty much Einstein. A century of theories and we've hit a brick wall. Now people are dreaming up multiverses and weird crap. Its all bullshit. None of that poo poo is real. As for technology, we've picked all the low hanging fruit. Computers have stopped getting better, everything else is pretty much the same as it was 20 years ago. Compare how the world changed from 1900 to 1950, and then from 1950 to now. The former interval saw a LOT more change. And in the second interval, things have pretty much stopped advancing in the past 20 years, except incrementally. So i think things have pretty much stalled out and frankly i dont think any of us are going to see anything really revolutionary for the rest of our lives, whether its new technology or new scientific theories. Stop giving NASA money. Stop making new particle accelerators to "test" silly sci-fi nonsense. Build houses, schools, hospitals, libraries. Way better investment.

This is the dumbest thing I've read in quite a while.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Blue Star posted:

If you really believe this garbage, by all means publish a peer-reviewed paper debunking all these "dreamers" that actually have published peer-reviewed papers. Just because you yourself are ignorant of how science is progressing doesn't mean it's not progressing.

And again, taking NASA's money isn't going to do poo poo in terms of building houses, schools, hospitals and libraries. Maybe it would help one small city but you really have no idea how small NASA's budget is compared to what it would take to make a real change in those areas.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Star posted:

https://i.imgur.com/waKPXlS.gifv

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Let's just confiscate capital so we can do everything we want.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing is better than the acquisition of material things.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blue Star posted:

I agree that we should build houses, schools, hospitals, and libraries.

The rest of that post was pretty stupid though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Research carried out at NASA is responsible for or played a role in the development of camera phones, MRI and CAT scans, home insulation, memory foam, baby food, water filters and more. You can come up with a lot of things in the process of trying to build space probes etc.

We eradicated smallpox in 1977 if that counts as a recent scientific breakthrough (it's the biggest one I can think of - I have no scientific background so there have been hundreds of other breakthroughs that I just don't know about off the top of my head since then).

New inventions are patented every day.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Research carried out at NASA is responsible for or played a role in the development of camera phones, MRI and CAT scans, home insulation, memory foam, baby food, water filters and more. You can come up with a lot of things in the process of trying to build space probes etc.

The standard anti-NASA person counter to this that blue star is probably typing right now is "we would have invented all that stuff anyway". Some people just have it out for nasa and won't let pesky things like "facts" sway them.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

Could you provide sources for these claims? People like to make claims like this (common ones are that NASA was instrumental to development of computing, cell phones, and GPS) and they are either not true or they are wildly overstating NASA’s role in developing the technology.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

silence_kit posted:

Could you provide sources for these claims? People like to make claims like this (common ones are that NASA was instrumental to development of computing, cell phones, and GPS) and they are either not true or they are wildly overstating NASA’s role in developing the technology.

I believe this youtube list will be sufficient enough as proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yee7T2fJfQQ&t=8s

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
This anti-Nasa thing Blue Star has going is making me think of the Dan Brown novel Deception Point. Except he's still not as likable as the characters in that book.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I live in the Charlottesville area, and while I wouldn't say that I'm a UVA fan, the recent loss was a blow.

A lot of people in the NCAA thread were really mocking UVA for that loss, and deservedly so; they screwed the pooch. Bigly. But my unpopular opinion is: despite all the mocking and schaedenfreude from fans of other teams, a lot of it deserved, I actually feel really sorry for UVA.

Ever since Bennett was signed on, my sense is that they've been working really hard to build a really great team and earn the respect they feel they haven't gotten from the basketball "establishment". I don't think that game was necessarily representative of their potential; they just had a horrible night. But this loss is going to stick with them for quite a long time, and nobody's going to remember their successes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I live in the Charlottesville area, and while I wouldn't say that I'm a UVA fan, the recent loss was a blow.

A lot of people in the NCAA thread were really mocking UVA for that loss, and deservedly so; they screwed the pooch. Bigly. But my unpopular opinion is: despite all the mocking and schaedenfreude from fans of other teams, a lot of it deserved, I actually feel really sorry for UVA.

Ever since Bennett was signed on, my sense is that they've been working really hard to build a really great team and earn the respect they feel they haven't gotten from the basketball "establishment". I don't think that game was necessarily representative of their potential; they just had a horrible night. But this loss is going to stick with them for quite a long time, and nobody's going to remember their successes.

It's always reasonable to feel bad for the losing players in the tournament (unless they played for Duke). The thing that bothered me was people on Twitter making Charlottesville rally jokes. Like, that was a thing that happened TO the town in response to the local government doing a good thing.

Also people don't give them respect because they play an unwatchable brand of basketball, even by college standards.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

They always in recent history seem to come in with a very high seed and then proceed to blow it. Their system just doesn't seem to work in the tournament. You aren't going to win scoring ~60 points a game. It must suck for their fans but from my perspective, if any #1 seed was going to lose to a 16 seed, Virginia would be on the very top of my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

They always in recent history seem to come in with a very high seed and then proceed to blow it. Their system just doesn't seem to work in the tournament. You aren't going to win scoring ~60 points a game. It must suck for their fans but from my perspective, if any #1 seed was going to lose to a 16 seed, Virginia would be on the very top of my list.

It’s basically the same problem that plagued Wisconsin throughout Bo Ryan’s tenure until he finally broke through to the title game at the end of his career (and notably, Bennett’s father coached that program to a Final Four before Bo Ryan).

It can win in the tournament but they are not built to come from behind. UMBC got unbelievably hot in the second half, like in a way that you might shoot once per season, and Virginia’s offense can’t play uptempo or with urgency.