Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol it’s a crab. They, just like chickens, would as soon eat you if they could.

Anyways the point was that it’s not just foreigners who slaughter their food that way. It’s a common practice in the US too.

Personally I’d never drink a crab thrown in a blender which I noticed you didn’t complain about reading.

What's your point? You could say the same thing about just about any animal on this planet if they had no better alternative for food.

I'm not harping on you for simply killing crabs or any other animal. If we want to consume tasty food, then some organism or another has to die; it's just unavoidable at this point, and I'm not calling you out for doing what is necessary if we want to eat crab, or any other sustainable creature.

I even stated in the OP that crab are tasty. And several of us have remarked how brutal the process is for slaughtering them for food. There's no way around the unfortunate aspect of slaughter, and we're NOT even boycotting it. However, what is irritating is that almost every time you post in this thread, you're coming off as someone who is gloating and celebrating the gruesome deaths that befall the sea-life that we like and/or like to eat.

I don't know how else to explain this to you, and I've been as diplomatic as I can, but if you don't have anything interesting, nice, funny, educational, or something to say that contributes to the fun nature of this thread, then just stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol it’s a crab. They, just like chickens, would as soon eat you if they could.

So will literally any other meat eating animal, dipshit

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Also pain hormones make meat tougher and taste noticeably worse. If you want tastier, humanely killed crustaceans buy some clove oil in ethanol and put them in a tank with a small amount mixed in water. It knocks them out pretty quickly, allowing for a painless, tastier meal.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Ye Olde Crabbe

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Somebody was posting about those icky foreigners killing animals in a cruel way and I simply stated, no, we do it that way too.

Sorry that’s not educational enough!

Anyways here’s a little lady i caught last year. Don’t know if she missed a molt because the growth is so heavy but like all females I tossed her back.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Are those barnacles?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

my dog died im sad posted:

Are those barnacles?

Appears to be.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah, the most I’ve ever seen. A true crusty the crabess.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Do crabs molt with less frequency as they age? Could that be why it had all the barnacles?

E: sorry if this is a dumb CRAB question.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Honestly I thought they (red rock crab) molted every year right before breeding season. I caught her at the end of the breeding season so she skipped the year molting for sure.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Barnacles are a kind of crab

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

for that double crabbed in goodness

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Barnacles are a kind of crab

And red rock crabs main prey!

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
New species of crab confirmed. If you don’t like the idea of Half Life enemies becoming a reality, then I would not suggest looking at this \/\/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I wouldn’t gently caress with that pussy. Looks like she has crabs.

Altair Knight
Jun 1, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

I wouldn’t gently caress with that pussy. Looks like she has crabs.

ew

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

I don't see any crabs, just racist stereotypes.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
This is Pylopagurus discoidalis aka the Tusk Shell Hermit Crab
This crab get its name from the tusk shell mollusks whose shells are its preferred home.
http://lifeform.wikia.com/wiki/Scaphopoda

The Tusk Shell Hermit Crab lives in deep water reefs in the western Atlantic Ocean, and have only been observed live in the last few years.
http://ocean.si.edu/ocean-photos/tusk-shell-hermit-crab
https://www.livescience.com/28542-hermit-crab-photos.html
These little guys have a large shield shaped claw known as Chelae that they use to cover the entrance to their shell when threatened, that's pretty cool!

Here's a picture of The Tusk Shell using its Chelae.

Just chillin' on top of a sea cucumber.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That's the biggest sea cucumber I've ever seen

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
That's super cute

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
I like that crab

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I also like that crab

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it is a good crab

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I like that the crab and the cucumber are friends I bet they hang out all the time

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone follow that sea cucumber around with a tuba

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It's the opposite of cats freaking the gently caress out over dirt cucumbers.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
It was posted earlier in the thread, but I think its worth reposting:

Sadly that book is fifty drat dollars so I picked up all the other Guy N. Smith books I could find for a reasonable price and my god. It was worth it.

Check out the second page of "Night of the Crabs"
:

"Dear old Uncle Cliff," Ian laughed.
"Not so much of the 'old'," Julie slipped an arm around his waist. "He may be on of the country's leading botanists but he isn't forty yet. He's very much your mother's younger brother."
"You're right," Ian laughed. "Cliff is almost like a brother to me. And he's hip, too, to quote a modern phrase. He didn't even raise an eyebrow when he discovered that we were going away together for a week. 'Have a good dirty week', he said, as I left on Friday night. 'I dont expect you'll be good, but try and be careful. I don't want Julie to have to pack up work just yet.' You wouldn't find many uncles taking that attitude."
"Well," Julie winked, "we have been careful, haven't we? Or at least, I hope you have!"
They both laughed, and then their attention was diverted by a train crossing the estuary over the viaduct a mile away.

Truly the Shakespeare of our time.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
drat, they fuckin

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Bonus:

A crab-knife video I don't remember ever seeing:

https://i.imgur.com/VxLQ7oF.gifv

Go get 'em little guy!

Edit: that came out bigger than I wanted, how the hell do you shrink .gifvl?

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 18, 2018

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Free Drinks posted:

Bonus:

Go get 'em little guy!

Lol

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Free Drinks posted:

Bonus:

Go get 'em little guy!

this is a knife fight for the ages, shame the crab surrenders at the end

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

free hubcaps posted:

this is a knife fight for the ages, shame the crab surrenders at the end

Surrendered? Or embraced the Crabushido way and threw down his unfair advantage in order to make the fight honorable?

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

Surrendered? Or embraced the Crabushido way and threw down his unfair advantage in order to make the fight honorable?

Threw down his advantage? He threw away his weakness! Casting aside the tools of man, ready to attack with crabfury.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Free Drinks posted:

Bonus:

Go get 'em little guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OMHIrKaB1I

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Goes ssj at the end

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Free Drinks posted:

Bonus:

Go get 'em little guy!

Honestly I would at this point make a crab home and keep it as a pet instead of eating it

E: I don't think you can adjust the size like with timg, and appending one of the imgur suffixes doesn't seem to work either. Imo enjoy the big crab

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 18, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Honestly I would at this point make a crab home and keep it as a pet instead of eating it

I keep my catch for a few days but it's really hard to keep water cold without a chiller and protein skimmer. Took a cooler with a screw in plug and ran a tube with air. Tossed in a few icepacks every day and exchanged part of the water daily. Considering making a smaller tank to keep some of the local smaller crabs but man a chiller is expensive.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This is not a crab. It is, however, crab-adjacent.

naem
May 29, 2011

Remove the "v" from a .gifv and put [timg][/timg] tags around it and you get an embedded timg gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

LingcodKilla posted:

I keep my catch for a few days but it's really hard to keep water cold without a chiller and protein skimmer. Took a cooler with a screw in plug and ran a tube with air. Tossed in a few icepacks every day and exchanged part of the water daily. Considering making a smaller tank to keep some of the local smaller crabs but man a chiller is expensive.

I feel like there has to be some weirdly cheap way to do this like retrofitting an old mini fridge or something. Like throw away the
fridge part and have some small heat exchanger. Or just go all in and get some kinda geothermal heat pump