Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nuebot posted:

I have become god

I'm the control groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm the negative influence income.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I sure do love that bug whereby sometimes one of your fleets just decide they can't be arsed to shoot an enemy fleet which is happily shooting it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Grouchio posted:

I'm the starbase cap.

Almost all the ones I had normally were just like, money making ones with silos so I could reach a gigantic resource cap asap. But then once I stole too many planets and started tanking resources I just went to war with everyone and spent all my energy before it could hemorrhage away. The extra like, hundred? Almost all came from my defeated enemies.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Annoying - I can't gift a system to a vassal when it's neighbouring them via wormhole

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Speaking of wormholes. Do NOT fortify a system on the other end of a wormhole from your empire. Turns out that ships can happily enter the system and pass through to the rest of your empire through the wormhole, FTL inhibitors be damned.

I guess it kinda makes sense, but I was not expecting it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah gates and holes are not an Ftl jump.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

So for those looking for the DLC on sale, this site seems to have Utopia and Leviathans 50% off, among other things like Apocalypse 12% off. I've never used this site before, but everything I've read about it makes it seem legit. Gonna pick these up from here.

Edit: Just got Leviathans and Utopia for $17.14 total with the code SPRING10

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 18, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Phobeste posted:

Then, my federation's leadership changes from one of the AIs to another... and a federation victory screen pops up giving credit to a species from a different federation who only have about 17 planets between them. I'm counting this as a win but I want my drat steamchievement :(

It happened to me too, no achievement for it. When I won by myself in a different game the achievement worked fine.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

GoGoGadget posted:

So for those looking for the DLC on sale, this site seems to have Utopia and Leviathans 50% off, among other things like Apocalypse 12% off. I've never used this site before, but everything I've read about it makes it seem legit. Gonna pick these up from here.

Edit: Just got Leviathans and Utopia for $17.14 total with the code SPRING10

Fanatical is legit, yeah.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Psionic colussi weapons don’t work on Contingency home planets. I am very sad, I used that ascension slot because I thought it would be very fitting to obliterate the robots with my bible beam.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Strudel Man posted:

Speaking of wormholes. Do NOT fortify a system on the other end of a wormhole from your empire. Turns out that ships can happily enter the system and pass through to the rest of your empire through the wormhole, FTL inhibitors be damned.

Huh, thanks. I didn't know that, but on the other hand, I also fortify both ends of a wormhole, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe, anyhow.

As far as making my own ships, the one time I've tried doing that post-expansion, the fleet system just shat itself and I had several obsoleted ships that simply refused to upgrade no matter what.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Veryslightlymad posted:

Huh, thanks. I didn't know that, but on the other hand, I also fortify both ends of a wormhole, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe, anyhow.

As far as making my own ships, the one time I've tried doing that post-expansion, the fleet system just shat itself and I had several obsoleted ships that simply refused to upgrade no matter what.

Turn off auto-generate designs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

I mean, I don't think that really does make sense if I'm honest, FTL inhibitors should prevent people from leaving the system, that it doesn't take into account wormholes seems more like a bug than anything.

E: Or do you mean, they can still use the wormhole? Cos that makes sense, I thought you meant things could come through a wormhole and then leave the system even if it has an inhibitor in it?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Captain Oblivious posted:

Turn off auto-generate designs.

This is the first thing I do if/when I start making my own designs.

Should I be renaming my designs every upgrade? Doing the opposite? If I change the layout of a ship (eg, add different "types" of parts or different "sections" to the bigger ships), does that somehow gently caress it up?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Veryslightlymad posted:

Should I be renaming my designs every upgrade? Doing the opposite? If I change the layout of a ship (eg, add different "types" of parts or different "sections" to the bigger ships), does that somehow gently caress it up?
I create one design at the beginning of the game called "Swarm" for my corvettes. It is now post-2400 and I have never changed the name or used a different Corvette design; I have simply changed the design over time to account for new tactics or new tech. I have had zero problems with the fleet manager.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I create one design at the beginning of the game called "Swarm" for my corvettes. It is now post-2400 and I have never changed the name or used a different Corvette design; I have simply changed the design over time to account for new tactics or new tech. I have had zero problems with the fleet manager.

This is pretty much what I do. I turn off auto generate designs and keep names consistent and I’ve never experienced any problems whatsoever over like four or five play throughs :shrug:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Can confirm that this is how you fleet manage.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

With the fleet manager doing your own design stuff is a lot less annoying than before. It also sidesteps some bugs. If you're wanting to auto-do your designs, just reset the ship sections and auto-complete them (this is necessary because the auto-complete won't switch certain weapon options).

I'll usually have point defense and non-point defense options, because point defense isn't really useful if your enemy isn't using missiles, but if they are it is really useful.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Picked this up recently and just began my first game. Good fun but I'm very much feeling my way. A few questions for those of you with more experience:
1. My population has consistently been much lower than the AIs. The year is just after 2300 and my population is about 55; the AIs are almost all 100+. Does it seem like I'm going too slow on colonisation (I only recently colonised my 4th planet)?
2. Conversely I claimed a huge number of systems - my empire is at least 50% larger than anyone else. Is expanding like crazy a bad idea?
3. I suffered a pretty devastating military defeat. My fleet of 7k plus a station of 2k were crushed by an attacking fleet of similar size (also 9k). I've just been letting the game autodesign my fleets - is this dumb? I also noticed that the winning fleet had a higher mix of corvettes whereas I had tended towards destroyers and cruisers. Was this a mistake?

Any observations/tips would be very welcome.

Thanks for the advice space pals. Was planning to restart anyway. One thing I'll do this time is design a proper fleet that works together.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, I don't think that really does make sense if I'm honest, FTL inhibitors should prevent people from leaving the system, that it doesn't take into account wormholes seems more like a bug than anything.

E: Or do you mean, they can still use the wormhole? Cos that makes sense, I thought you meant things could come through a wormhole and then leave the system even if it has an inhibitor in it?
What I mean is that they can enter the system via hyperlane and leave it via wormhole. I haven't seen anyone enter via wormhole and leave via hyperlane; I suspect that's probably not possible.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am sad that there is no other way to unlock Armageddon bombardment stance outside of being fanatic purifiers. For some reason I love the concept of an angry species that Terraforms through violence. I dont like taking Fanatic Purifier because I like simple diplomacy like trading with the Artisan Troupe or the other station-bound non-player entities.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I had this science crew early in game out scanning planets. It disappears and reappears with some of the crew missing. Later the rest of the crew reappears on a new ship that's similar to other science ships I have but called something like "science ship from the beyond". Later when I discover the Horizon signal I coincidentally send this science ship to investigate and it disappears. A few years later it reappears but without the crew and called something else this time. This has to be the galaxies unluckiest science ship.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mustang posted:

So I had this science crew early in game out scanning planets. It disappears and reappears with some of the crew missing. Later the rest of the crew reappears on a new ship that's similar to other science ships I have but called something like "science ship from the beyond".

I used to always delete that science ship because it couldn't be upgraded. Now it's a nice free science ship, too bad it doesn't come with a free scientist too.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Fanatical is owned by Focus Multimedia. They are as legitimate as Humble Bundle is, even when Humble is owned by IGN Entertainment.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I am sad that there is no other way to unlock Armageddon bombardment stance outside of being fanatic purifiers. For some reason I love the concept of an angry species that Terraforms through violence. I dont like taking Fanatic Purifier because I like simple diplomacy like trading with the Artisan Troupe or the other station-bound non-player entities.

I feel like you should get Armageddon bombardment just from Fanatic Militarism/Xenophobia, but then again it would make Purifiers seem less special.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

cock hero flux posted:

I feel like you should get Armageddon bombardment just from Fanatic Militarism/Xenophobia, but then again it would make Purifiers seem less special.

Armageddon should be open to Fan Auth (Because who can tell the God-Emperor no?), Fan Mil (All weapons are perfectly legitimate in war), and Fan Xenophobe (gently caress xenos and their filthy planets). I don't like it being tied to Fanatical Purifiers either. Automatically ruled out if you're any form of Pacifist or Xenophile.

e; VVV poo poo that's good.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 18, 2018

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Let me hire Admirals from the Raider Clans who unlock Armageddon bombardment as a bonus feature. I'm sure they'd be happy to command dirty xenos to bomb other dirty xenos.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
I've somehow been able to keep my original ruler alive for ~140 years, despite picking neither enduring nor venerable.

He's had a foot in the grave several times, but every time technology, traditions or pure luck has pulled him back out. Now he's nearing his 175 and I thought that would be it, when everyone's favorite rental space sloth pulled through (looking real cute, researching a tiny image of himself).

Looks like he'll be done just in time for the Overseer's birthday, and with another 20 years he might just live long enough for synthetic evolution.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

binge crotching posted:

I used to always delete that science ship because it couldn't be upgraded. Now it's a nice free science ship, too bad it doesn't come with a free scientist too.

I thought it still didn’t upgrade?

Even if it doesn’t it can assist research just fine.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Veryslightlymad posted:

If you're renaming your designs every time you change them, that's probably what's causing the issue. Ships only upgrade if you change the design they're named after and save the new design with the same name. Or, heck, theoretically if you created a whole new design of the same size and named it the same thing, you could probably upgrade the old ships to fit the new designs. Point is, it's the names that determine upgrade paths. How exactly the design changes doesn't matter - you could swap in an obsolete weapon in a single slot, or switch sections entirely and go from kinetics and missiles to all-lasers, it all counts as an upgrade if you save the design with the same name.

It's actually one of my minor complaints about the ship design system - you don't get a "history" of ship classes, what you get is one or two, maybe three classes per ship type which lasts you for the entirety of the game, despite the fact that your end-game Jotunheim-class corvette could take on like a dozen of its identically-named early game predecessors and uses a completely different weapons balance.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Would be cool if any design upgrade appended a "Mk. 3" or some poo poo maybe to the class name.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought it still didn’t upgrade?

Even if it doesn’t it can assist research just fine.

They auto-upgrade now, same with the constructors and science ships you get from vassal integrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Tomn posted:

If you're renaming your designs every time you change them, that's probably what's causing the issue. Ships only upgrade if you change the design they're named after and save the new design with the same name. Or, heck, theoretically if you created a whole new design of the same size and named it the same thing, you could probably upgrade the old ships to fit the new designs. Point is, it's the names that determine upgrade paths. How exactly the design changes doesn't matter - you could swap in an obsolete weapon in a single slot, or switch sections entirely and go from kinetics and missiles to all-lasers, it all counts as an upgrade if you save the design with the same name.

It's actually one of my minor complaints about the ship design system - you don't get a "history" of ship classes, what you get is one or two, maybe three classes per ship type which lasts you for the entirety of the game, despite the fact that your end-game Jotunheim-class corvette could take on like a dozen of its identically-named early game predecessors and uses a completely different weapons balance.

You can swap ship designs in the fleet manager. When you're in the fleet manager, there is an option to swap an existing ship design with another. So switching to a different type of that class of ship (laser corvette -> rail corvette) is actually just a couple clicks. If you wanted to keep an existing series of old ships you could with no real problem.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So I was bordered by these marauders since the start of the game. Eventually the Great Khan spawned and I quickly submitted to him because how the gently caress am I supposed to fight back against 41k fleets at this point in the game.

A decade or two pass and he dies and the Khanate falls apart. It says I'm free but somehow I'm a vassal to one of the successor states? What the gently caress?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Marauders are pretty buggy still, I'll kill a raiding fleet and not get the "raid beaten" event and they'll be stuck for the rest of the game doing nothing with the only option being to ask them who raided me, and frequently I'll pay for an attack from one clan and the fleet will actually spawn in another clans space. Also the AI does not seem to get the special event when a raid is used against them so they suffer a round of bombardment instead of getting any pops killed.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Is the AI food implosion thing fixed in any beta patch or mod I could download. Clicking around and I noticed about 1/3 of the dudes in the galaxy are forevereally starving and loving it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So how do I declare independence from my AI overlords? All diplomacy lets me do is request independence which of course they always deny so I don't even know why that's an option. I'm more powerful than they are, there is no reason I shouldn't be able to rebel against them and then stomp them into the loving ground.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mustang posted:

So how do I declare independence from my AI overlords? All diplomacy lets me do is request independence which of course they always deny so I don't even know why that's an option. I'm more powerful than they are, there is no reason I shouldn't be able to rebel against them and then stomp them into the loving ground.

I think you can request and then get a rebellion casus belli maybe?

Request may not be necessary, you might always have the CB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Is the AI food implosion thing fixed in any beta patch or mod I could download. Clicking around and I noticed about 1/3 of the dudes in the galaxy are forevereally starving and loving it.

I was using glavius' AI patch in my most recent game and after trading sensors with a few people I noticed most planets sitting at like +12 or +20 food. Whole lotta size 12 planets with like 8 farms. I also noticed most AI I tried to trade with didn't want minerals or energy, their liking of the trade deal didn't go up no matter how many resources I threw at them which is generally a sign they're full-up. If nearly ever AI I tried to trade with wanted neither energy or minerals (and never food what with the +10 food minimum per planet) it made it impossible to trade. I don't know why the AI is sitting on so many resources.

And even with all of the above I'm still seeing a lot of empty tiles on planets. They don't want for food, energy, or minerals yet aren't building buildings. I turned off glavius' mod and it didn't really make much of a difference. He's a very nice guy with a passion for improving the AI but I've had a lot of trouble with his mod. He'd fix every bug I found right away and was interested in every report, but it seemed every day I'd find some huge problem that generally made using his mod give worse results than vanilla.

My most recent game had the marauders actually raid successfully, a great khan emerge and conquer properly, empires surrendering properly, and the khan getting assassinated and his empire fracturing properly. When the game works as designed it can be pretty nice. But that's the big problem with stellaris, it's 33% "this isn't working close to as designed due to bugs", 33% "this is worked as designed but the design is bad", 33% "this is a good design but the numbers and balance needs work" and sometimes it's hard to tell which category something not fun in the game belongs in.