Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Holy cow, you people have friends that actually watch movies? My two best friends basically told me to just assume that they haven't seen a movie before I ask. Like seriously speaking here, in the last six months, half of the people (like 5/10) I've mentioned Psycho to admitted they have never even heard of the movie, and when I mentioned the shower scene they just shook their head in confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
BTW: On the topic of NC shitiness-- I do kinda feel for Tamara and Malcom. By all accounts I've heard, they're exceptionally nice people, and is evident by their screentime, quite talented. (I'd almost ALMOST say go watch NC "Wicker Man" (with adblock on and pirated from another site) for her performance alone-- long before Doug turned her every appearance into lol nerds).

I completely get that there's a serious paycheck in it for them, and I have a helluva hard time faulting an actor for taking a steady paycheck (seriously, actor, stead pay check, those do not normally appear together)-- not to mention any career-launching exposure they've gotten. I just hope that when/if the fallout drops, they are able to escape unharmed (and un-maced).

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Oh, and to cap off the "should I doug ok if just michaud bad?", then, let's give Allison the final word:

https://twitter.com/Obscurus_Lupa/status/974202392249069568

Allision posted:

The Walkers are complicit. The Walkers are complicit. The Walkers are complicit. The Walkers are complicit. The Walkers are complicit. The Walkers are complicit. The Walkers are complicit. The Walkers are complicit. The Walkers are complicit. The Walkers are complicit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Conal Cochran posted:

Holy cow, you people have friends that actually watch movies? My two best friends basically told me to just assume that they haven't seen a movie before I ask. Like seriously speaking here, in the last six months, half of the people (like 5/10) I've mentioned Psycho to admitted they have never even heard of the movie, and when I mentioned the shower scene they just shook their head in confusion.

I showed my roommate all the Star Wars got the first time beside TFA. His reactions were cool to hear after the echo chamber that is the Star Wars fandom.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And as if it wasn't pretty clear from his weird need to speak about this now:

https://twitter.com/EllenBarkin/status/975133466235777024

gently caress, no, goddammit.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress, no, goddammit.

I assure you this brings me no pleasure. I grew up on Monty Python. Alas...

I mean, I'm surprised there aren't more stories. We'll be lucky if only one of them was also involved in pederasty.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I assure you this brings me no pleasure. I grew up on Monty Python. Alas...

I mean, I'm surprised there aren't more stories. We'll be lucky if only one of them was also involved in pederasty.

His Don Quixote was finally coming out, and now I don't even wanna watch it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lornekates posted:

Oh, and to cap off the "should I doug ok if just michaud bad?", then, let's give Allison the final word:

https://twitter.com/Obscurus_Lupa/status/974202392249069568

For the drat life of me, I still don't know why I have Channel Awesome bookmarked on my Videos tab. Especially because all the folks I want to watch who still cling to the site (Brad, Bennett, Nash, and Chuck) are all either on YouTube or Vimeo, so I don't even need to visit the site anymore.

That said, wandering onto CA every now and again (with like five adblockers on because gently caress me if Michaud and the Walkers are getting any ad $ off of me) does let me catch the occasional unintentionally hilarious and tonedeaf thumbnails from certain producers like this one

Joe, you dumbass. Yeah, here's a great idea while #NotOneMore is sweeping the country: do a video where you jizz yourself holding an assault rifle to make fun of Call of Duty :rolleyes:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Conal Cochran posted:

I'm the never-seen-movies friend.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

His Don Quixote was finally coming out, and now I don't even wanna watch it.

That's news to me but even before that tweet, I would never subject myself to anything Gilliam has made after Fear and Loathing. Watching Lost in La Mancha you can just watch his love of filmmaking drain from his face and you can feel that lack of love in Tideland and Brothers Grimm.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So where's the crowdfunding campaign to get Dan to make the Channel Awesome Behind The Scenes documentary? Make one of the stretch goals "complete chronological channel awesome storyline with all creator cameos" and it would be fully funded in a day.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So where's the crowdfunding campaign to get Dan to make the Channel Awesome Behind The Scenes documentary? Make one of the stretch goals "complete chronological channel awesome storyline with all creator cameos" and it would be fully funded in a day.

He'd have to get a Doug cameo, and nobody wants that.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Dragonatrix posted:

Honestly, I remember MDT when it was running, and.. calling it a generic serial killer series is giving it too much credit if anything. It's really not the kinda thing that I'd expect Nick to cover, ever, unless he was struggling for more relevant content.

I enjoyed Nick getting mean and snarky, personally. And I hope if my significant other is kidnapped by a weird murder cult and I confront her kidnapper it is also over drat good margaritas.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I don't recall if this got brought up when it was released, but Movies With Mikey did a pretty good video (apparently first in a series) about how to make a shared universe (obviously focusing on the MCU as the primary example):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFoNcsbIaE

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Something interesting popped up today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0-nr2o2ykA

Film Brain re-edited and re-uploaded an old crossover with Spoony, and invited him in the comments to come back and review the prequel with him.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I wanty a full documentary JUST about that bloody game show

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

To do it properly wouldn't you need to shoot 5 documentaries then only release one, maybe give it a found footage vibe

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did they make Brad improvise all those wretched jokes, or did Doug lovingly prepare each one? Either way, that’s the most miserable he’s ever seemed on a youtube video. Probably Blip too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

business hammocks posted:

Did they make Brad improvise all those wretched jokes, or did Doug lovingly prepare each one? Either way, that’s the most miserable he’s ever seemed on a youtube video. Probably Blip too.

Reputedly any time there's a crossover involving Doug Walker, he'll be the one to write most of the script.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The Holly story has me legit foaming. Stopping her from doing anything in the industry for three years. The selfish, arrogant, petty, manchild loving arseholes.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

The Holly story has me legit foaming. Stopping her from doing anything in the industry for three years. The selfish, arrogant, petty, manchild loving arseholes.

How did they manage to stop her working for the three years? Was it just a case of not wanting to enter that type of industry after such a negative experience or did they apply some pressure?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

At the time I was at a point where I was like "Why am I even watching this?" with Doug. But hearing about Holly's firing and how she had been treated was what made it a very easy decision to not watch his stuff.
Speaking of Channel Awesome drama. Lornekat, you are a good and kind mod and I commend you for having the superhuman patience that this thread requires but I always physically recoil when I see your name because my brain scrambles it into LordKat.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

Speaking of Channel Awesome drama. Lornekat, you are a good and kind mod and I commend you for having the superhuman patience that this thread requires but I always physically recoil when I see your name because my brain scrambles it into LordKat.

At least he's not posting here anymore. Last I saw he left SA in a fit because Lets Play posters suggested he maybe not mention rape in his UWW reboot.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Joseph Anderson on Subnautica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLsPoJWO-e8

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Oh god, I just remembered how Doug ruined that chat with some of the Animaniacs people by constantly cutting from them back to his mugging face reacting to nothing, so it comes off as incredibly forced and bad, because he has no idea how to have video of himself actually interacting with his guests OR how to edit it so that his stuff is audio-only and focus on the subjects (you know, like an interview).

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kim Justice posted:

Who was Holly?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

At least he's not posting here anymore. Last I saw he left SA in a fit because Lets Play posters suggested he maybe not mention rape in his UWW reboot.

I did used to go on his livestream a lot before it all fell apart, it had a good community. But being 'always on' is not emotionally healthy for anyone. Lordkat got meaner and meaner after he realised he could milk the Spoony/Channel Awesome stuff for hits and it ruined the vibe his chat had.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He'd have to get a Doug cameo, and nobody wants that.

Doug will be played by Tommy Wiseau.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Who was Holly?

Holly Christine Brown was one of the behind the scenes people - Director of Human Resources was her official title, she worked on the crew for the films and the like (I think she shot/co-directed on some even). When she was let go in 2013, they made her sign a non-compete clause which forbade her from doing any work/earning money in the industry for 3 years. This would have never stood up in court, but in her words she had no money and they'd just got that $90k Kickstarter (and while unspoken, they'd have used it for the courts for sure).

One thing I'll say about LordKat is, like Lupa, he's been making GBS threads on Channel Awesome's terrible practices for many a year. Sure, they're different sides of the coin and you can certainly take issue with Jason for various things but at least people are now listening and loads more are speaking up about how awful they are.

...Anyone know if Angry Joe's said much? Dunno how much he's still associated with CA. It's commonly said that Blistered Thumbs was his baby and he worked his arse off on it with barely any support from the Walkers/Mike, so I wonder if he's got his own thoughts on the matter.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 18, 2018

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

bessantj posted:

How did they manage to stop her working for the three years? Was it just a case of not wanting to enter that type of industry after such a negative experience or did they apply some pressure?

I'm guessing she had to sign a non-compete clause since she was an actual employee?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure Joe has kept mum on the whole thing.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

when he gets into the part about the "plot holes" and the cannon and shi t I rolled my eyes out of my skull

he's the absolutely worst kind of pedant and I unsubbed; between this one and his botw one I now know he just just not play games in a way I think is compatible with like...fun?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I thought we were finally off OCD-ville for once until he got to the fish-combat part. Like for gods sake Joseph, is there a game you won't ruin for yourself by stubbornly doing things neither your or the game wants you to do?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

when he gets into the part about the "plot holes" and the cannon and shi t I rolled my eyes out of my skull

he's the absolutely worst kind of pedant and I unsubbed; between this one and his botw one I now know he just just not play games in a way I think is compatible with like...fun?

Look man, they put all those moons in Mario Odyssey and he is obligated to get each and every single solitary one, if Nintendo didn't want that then they shouldn't have put so many moons in the game!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He's one of those reviewers who should probably take a step back and ask himself if the game radically changes from collecting 10 of a thing or a 1000 of a thing. You don't need to complete a game in order to review it if you feel like you understood the gameplay loop of the whole thing. You don't need to collect all of the collectibles to say "I think Nintendo is going overboard with these collectibles and should have less of them but make the puzzles or platforming more unique and fun to get to them." Only the most pedantic would rake you for not collecting everything before forming an opinion on it. This isn't a social science or some important topic where thorough due-diligence is expected (and required) to have an informed opinion.

There, I just saved you 50 hours of grinding stupid collectibles in every game that has too many of them.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Kim Justice posted:

Holly Christine Brown was one of the behind the scenes people - Director of Human Resources was her official title, she worked on the crew for the films and the like (I think she shot/co-directed on some even). When she was let go in 2013, they made her sign a non-compete clause which forbade her from doing any work/earning money in the industry for 3 years. This would have never stood up in court, but in her words she had no money and they'd just got that $90k Kickstarter (and while unspoken, they'd have used it for the courts for sure).

You forgot to mention that she had to come in to work while recovering from surgery to be told that she was fired.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Leal posted:

Look man, they put all those moons in Mario Odyssey and he is obligated to get each and every single solitary one, if Nintendo didn't want that then they shouldn't have put so many moons in the game!

Getting all moons in Mario Odyssey is actually perfectly doable, reasonable, and fun, with only a handful of the 800+ moons you collect being what I'd consider unfun or annoying to find.

But it's something you do at your own pace, not something you force yourself to rush through, in a short amount of time (to push your video out), stopping at every progression step of the game to make sure you've gotten every moon currently available, despite how the game is clearly not designed for this type of play and actively pushes you away from doing this, TWICE IN A ROW, all to reach an arbitrary benchmark for your opinion on the video game to have credibility.

I liked Joseph Anderson's Dark Souls videos way back when, he went into subtle aspects of the games that other reviewers never touched upon, like the buggy boss animations in DS3 that most critics overlooked. But it increasingly feels like he's becoming pretentious and buying into his own hype.

Critics are supposed to look at things on a deeper level than average consumers, but you still have to, like, remember that these are products that are meant to be consumed by an audience of human beings.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Augus posted:

all to reach an arbitrary benchmark for your opinion on the video game to have credibility.

Jimbot posted:

This isn't a social science or some important topic where thorough due-diligence is expected (and required) to have an informed opinion.

On the other hand, had he not done all that, people would absolutely be ripping him apart for not playing enough of the game and he's not allowed to have any opinion until he plays it to their satisfaction.

His videos are still just as entertaining and informative as always. I think it's interesting to know that you can kill the giant fish in Subnautica, even if the game doesn't want you to. That says something about the game and the developer's intentions. If he hadn't ever tried, he wouldn't know.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jimbot posted:

He's one of those reviewers who should probably take a step back and ask himself if the game radically changes from collecting 10 of a thing or a 1000 of a thing. You don't need to complete a game in order to review it if you feel like you understood the gameplay loop of the whole thing. You don't need to collect all of the collectibles to say "I think Nintendo is going overboard with these collectibles and should have less of them but make the puzzles or platforming more unique and fun to get to them." Only the most pedantic would rake you for not collecting everything before forming an opinion on it. This isn't a social science or some important topic where thorough due-diligence is expected (and required) to have an informed opinion.

There, I just saved you 50 hours of grinding stupid collectibles in every game that has too many of them.

The worst thing is that if you go back even a year he didn't use to treat game-content this way. It's like Breath of the Wild broke him.

WampaLord posted:

On the other hand, had he not done all that, people would absolutely be ripping him apart for not playing enough of the game and he's not allowed to have any opinion until he plays it to their satisfaction.

Why would you, I or he care about anyone stupid enough to be upset about that.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Why would you, I or he care about anyone stupid enough to be upset about that.

Because being inundated with comments and messages about "YOU DIDN'T PLAY THE WHOLE GAME, SO YOU'RE WRONG" probably feels really lovely and he might also be rightly concerned that if enough people with that opinion stopped watching his videos, he would lose money and become less relevant.

If he's wrong and it turns out that his idea of completing a game fully before reviewing it pisses more people off than not, well, that's his mistake to make I guess.

• Locked thread