Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. People who were just giving to get a tax break are going to shut off like a faucet.

What would be the point of that? I’m trying to think of a scenario where giving away money to get part of it back due to a tax deduction is better than just keeping the money, if you don’t care about the cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Colin Mockery posted:

I understand the mindset that would lead to “move to a foreign country where you don’t speak the language and teach English there without credentials”, but I really don’t understand “move to a foreign country to teach English without credentials but also don’t socialize with the natives and also live somewhere with only a handful of other foreigners.”

Do the foreigners who live in China to teach English just not speak/pick up Chinese, or what?

We're not sending our best.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

SiGmA_X posted:

I just don't understand. $10? $8?! Not >$20? Must be some poor doctors if they're trying to lower the already slave wages...

I don't understand people who are comfortable trusting the care of their children to someone badly underpaid and exploited. Do they really want to further de-motivate the person caring for their rambunctious toddlers?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Enfys posted:

I don't understand people who are comfortable trusting the care of their children to someone badly underpaid and exploited. Do they really want to further de-motivate the person caring for their rambunctious toddlers?

The most underpaid and exploited they can possibly find.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

What would be the point of that? I’m trying to think of a scenario where giving away money to get part of it back due to a tax deduction is better than just keeping the money, if you don’t care about the cause.

It's not that you stop giving money, you just stop giving as much. Like I have a yearly budget for charitable giving and I come to that number based on the swell feelings I'll get for helping others and the tingles I get for reducing my tax burden. Take away that tax break and I'll still give (swell feelings) but minus the tingles. Charitable deductions don't inspire people to give, but it does get them to give more.

This PROBABLY won't impact most charities. Middle class people who used to itemize probably don't give enough to Wounded Warrior to make a difference. What it will impact are churches, because a Middle class family trying to make that 10% tithing work in their budget are definitely going to feel that extra tax. What used to be an extra $2k tax refund is going to be nothing and their overall tax cut probably doesn't cover it. So they'll volunteer a bit more at the church and do in-kind donations to make up for the money they're not giving - which isn't quiet the same thing for the church.

Which is why it's so delicious that evangelicals (kinds and queens of rationalizing religious decisions to benefit themselves) are going to get hurt by Trump.

Enfys posted:

I would not be surprised if they're hoping she now loves their children so much that their kids' very presence can be considered compensation.

But odds are they just didn't expect they'd need her this many hours and it's exceeding their budget. "But they're paying $40 less per month under the new pay" you say. No, because their plan is to work her even more hours after they cut her pay.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 17, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's not that you stop giving money, you just stop giving as much. Like I have a yearly budget for charitable giving and I come to that number based on the swell feelings I'll get for helping others and the tingles I get for reducing my tax burden. Take away that tax break and I'll still give (swell feelings) but minus the tingles. Charitable deductions don't inspire people to give, but it does get them to give more.

I understand that, but that's not what the post to which I was replying was saying, AFAICT.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Enfys posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClickHole/status/974701864024502272

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She should call herself a nanny and start charging $20 an hour.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Love the replies that this is basically the Yakuza games

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!
Sports BWM:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/974849311069691905

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

This sure is a great thing to see in my work inbox, in very large text:

quote:

Simply WOW!!
Over 5% made this week already and that’s not including this weekend!!

It is never too late to start earning money in Bitcoin.

Get paid in Bitcoin daily

Get paid from 1% per day

Get paid straight into your account

Scams are probably GWM for the scammer. :smith:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

She should call herself a nanny and start charging $20 an hour.

Perhaps...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/nyregion/yoselyn-ortega-psychosis.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Both those people are good with money. It's just one is stupid.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

I worked there once. Not unusual to see $500,000 and $750,000 bets coming through from some of the professional gamblers. Not to mention this guy. BWM on all of their parts as it all paid my salary.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

So did he have to bet that all three would win in order to even get that meager payout?

Later tweet in the thread was alright:

https://twitter.com/Conroy1178/status/975007759900073989

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Designer should have published the dude's name as well. gently caress that dude.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

So did he have to bet that all three would win in order to even get that meager payout?

Later tweet in the thread was alright:

https://twitter.com/Conroy1178/status/975007759900073989

So the sports book was paying 1:100 if UVA won but only 25:1 for a UMBC victory. Pretty GWM on their part.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Known Lecher posted:

So the sports book was paying 1:100 if UVA won but only 25:1 for a UMBC victory. Pretty GWM on their part.

People adding "sure" things to parleys to make up for the vigs, lol.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Guest2553 posted:

A few people have pointed out that those are some slave wages by people who could pay better. BWM more on the doctors imo because that $40 a month they're trying to save in under-the-table payments will result in them losing their mark and having to pay a better wage.

Amazes me how many docs are pennywise, pound foolish.

Reminds me of someone I graduated with. Between her and husband, easily making $650k after graduation, in cheap PA suburbs. Spent weeks haggling with nanny finder services for her two kids and wouldn’t budge above $13 an hour for “unskilled labor”. Despite the fact that nanny had no healthcare was expected to be there 6:30-at least 5 every day rain, shine, or snow. Could not comprehend the opportunity cost of lowballing and getting an rear end in a top hat nanny, or unreliable one that would say “kthxbye” one day. An older doc told her to stop being such a cheapass and she settled at $20/hr for someone with a bachelors.

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 18, 2018

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

God really really wants you to be BWM apparently

Gotta love that prosperity gospel.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
New thread title?

Youth Decay posted:

Gotta love that prosperity gospel.

I do not and you can’t make me.

Gonna be super embarrassing for them when they die and God is all, “Nah, I don’t like people exploiting other people for personal gain. You were probably chatting with Satan or something.”

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Wow.

Whoever sells these is GWM but BWGod.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Enfys posted:

Wow.

Whoever sells these is GWM but BWGod.
God With Money

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
God is bad with money. He doesn't even enforce his trademarks.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
God don't make no junk

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
God built the Pyramid Scheme

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

God built the Pyramid Scheme

It was aliens.

The ones who created humans.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Elephanthead posted:

God is bad with money. He doesn't even enforce his trademarks.
At least he's good with tax advice.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If only I could withhold nothing for my taxes, go catch a fish, and find all of the money I owe in its mouth.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Someone on r/options did some kind of reverse iron condor risking $10,000 for $400 and blew up his account last week.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

This is revolting

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fiverr and other "gig economy" ads are cheating. We want people making bad decisions, not people profiting off of them encouraging it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I don't even understand!

"getting income regularly is bad... Getting income sporadically is good..."

?

How do you make this claim?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Be Your Own Boss!!!!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

Be Your Own Boss!!!!

World's oldest/roughest teenager up in the right hand corner there.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't even understand!

"getting income regularly is bad... Getting income sporadically is good..."

?

Four legs good, two legs bad -> Four legs good, two legs better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007